• NCAA Football 13 Demo Available Now on XBL & PS3

The NCAA Football 13 demo is now available on both XBL (queue download from web here) and PSN.

The demo features one Heisman Challenge match-up (of co-cover athlete Robert Griffin III) and several match-ups from Week 10: USC-Oregon, LSU-Alabama, Kansas State vs. Baylor. All match-ups consist of four three-minute quarters with Studio Updates, however the Heisman Challenge game features four five-minute quarters with defense supersimmed.

Sharing the demo with a friend will unlock five Nike Pro-Combat uniforms for use in the retail version of the game: LSU, Navy, Stanford, Boise State, Ohio State. Playing through each Dynasty Experience match-up will unlock WR Tim Brown, RB Archie Griffin, and QB Jim Plunkett for use in Heisman Challenge in retail version.

After downloading and playing the demo, share your impressions and feedback here with the community. Continue on to see a video detailing what you can expect in the demo.

Articles from EA
    Get the Demo
    Spoiler: show
    Hey Everyone, Ben Haumiller here and with July 10th
    fast approaching it’s time to talk about this year’s demo. First off, I’m happy to announced that the demo is now available for download, so rather than just hear about the buzz coming out of E3, you will get a chance to get your hands on the game and check out all of the great gameplay improvements for yourself.We are very excited about this year’s demo for two reasons; first, we are giving you a deeper look at what’s new than ever before, and second, we have never provided more rewards for checking out the demo.Before we get into the details, let’s take do a quick overview of the menu and we will dive into the features from there. You will see that we are providing a preview of the new Heisman Challenge, a Dynasty Mode experience, and the ability to share the demo with a friend.

Heisman Challenge presented by NissanFirst let’s start with the Heisman Challenge. For the first time ever you will have the chance to experience what it’s like to be a Heisman Trophy winner. There are 16 former Heisman recipients involved in the Heisman Challenge in the full retail version of the game, but for the demo we are giving you a chance to play as 2011 Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III. You will be able to put RG3 on one of the six teams included in the demo, and experience for yourself the new Total Control passing system. You can also check out the all new Reaction Time feature which gives you the ability to “slow the game down” and take the time to make the split-second decisions that came so natural to these Heisman greats.
    Dynasty ExperienceWith the addition of ESPN Studio Updates and the Bottom Line ticker to Dynasty Mode, we wanted to give you a feel for how the stories of the day will be revealed to you depending on when your game is being played. To do this, we are going to drop you into a Dynasty that has been simmed to week 10 of the upcoming college football season. We chose week 10 for two very important reasons, Oregon @ USC and Alabama @ LSU. Since both of those games are played in week 10 it was the natural choice for our Dynasty experience week. With RG3 being playable in the Heisman Challenge it also felt right for us to select Baylor as one of the teams in our other matchup, and we opted for Kansas State as Baylor’s opponent.When you select the Dynasty Experience from the menu you will be brought to the schedule screen where you will have the ability to select any of these three matchups. Each one is at a different time of day so that you will get to experience the “stories of Saturday” from three different perspectives.
    Once you select your game it’s time to head in and check out all of those new gameplay improvements like Total Control Passing, Read and React Defensive AI, and more. Not only that, you can also follow all of the action around the country through the Bottom Line and Studio Updates with Rece Davis.

Heisman Challenge UnlockAs a reward for checking out the demo, we are going to give you three Heisman Challenge athletes for use in the full retail version ofNCAA Football 13. By completing each of the three demo matchups (either through the Heisman Challenge or the Dynasty experience) you will unlock classic Heisman winners Jim Plunkett, Tim Brown, and Archie Griffin.

Share the DemoIn addition to the Heisman Challenge unlocks, we are also giving you 5 Nike Pro Combat uniforms just for telling a friend to check out the NCAA Football 13 demo. All you need to do is share the demo once and you will unlock the Nike Pro Combat uniforms for Navy, Stanford, Ohio State, LSU, and Boise State:

Now that you’ve got the details, go download that demo and start enjoying your first hands-on peek at NCAA Football 13. Be sure to preorder the game, and get ready for the full experience on July 10th.

How to Download the Demo
    Spoiler: show
    With the NCAA Football 13 demo available to download now, it’s time to get your hands on this year’s game, check out all of the new gameplay improvements, and unlock your 5 Nike Pro Combat Uniforms as well as your three Heisman Challenge Athletes. If you’ve never downloaded a demo before, here’s what you need to do:
    Xbox Live Demo Download Steps
    1. From Xbox Home go to the Games section
    2. Select Games Marketplace
    3. Go to the Demos section and select New Releases
    4. Select the NCAA Football 13 Demo
    5. Select Free Download
    6. Select Confirm Download
    Visit the Xbox 360 Marketplace

PlayStation® Store Demo Download Steps
    1. On the Cross Menu Bar (XMB) of the PlayStation go to PlayStation Store icon under the account menu option (the second column from the right).
    2. Once you select this it will load you into the PlayStation Store.
    3. In the Store Menu go to PlayStation Demos option to get a list of demos.
    4. Here you should see a list of demos that are currently available to download.
    Note: This could be broken into sub sections like Action/Adventure, Sports, Racing, etc. You want to pick “Sports” or “New”.
    5. Here is where you can find the NCAA® Football 13 Demo and can select it.
    6. In this screen select the demo and choose to download the file which will be free and install it.
    7. Once the install is done to access it you need to go back to the XMB.
    8. On the XMB go to the Game column (fourth from the right) and you will an NCAA® Football 20th Anniversary logo that is the new demo.
    The NCAA Football 13 demo will be available on PlayStation® Store June 6 at 7PM EDT/4PM PDT

Comments 659 Comments
      JSmith03 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
      I played 3 games last night and didn't see a gluttony of them that others reported. It would not surprise me if people were making passes they shouldn't be, or least my hunch given my experiences playing others online that liked to abuse the crappy defensive AI of the NCAA series.
      I second that. I've only JUST thrown my 3rd or 4th INT in about 6 games. It was an INT near the sideline too, I almost smiled before realizing I made a bad throw. That's what I like though, you WILL get punished if you try to abuse your freedom with placing balls. As much as you can fit the ball into spots, you can ALSO place a ball in the wrong spot. Gotta be judicious when passing the ball this year.
      JSmith03 -
      Another thing - the QB avoidance pocket moves feel good. I haven't been in a situation to actually try to avoid a defender, but using it to step up in the pocket and then deliver a strike feels great.
      JSmith03 -
      So, one of the coolest things I've seen in the game just happened, and I honestly wish I recorded it because I don't know if words will do it justice.

So, I'm USC and I'm dropping back for a screen. I threw the pass to the RB, but a DE was right behind him. Both ended up jumping for the ball as I left it a little high. What ended up happening was, the DE first played the ball and then tried to tackle him in midair, but when they both landed, I guess the DE slipped off of the RB, and I was able to recover and go in for the go-ahead score. If I could record I I would (hopefully it's the play of the game) but it looked cool to me.
      AustinWolv -
      Quote Originally Posted by JSmith03 View Post
      Another thing - the QB avoidance pocket moves feel good. I haven't been in a situation to actually try to avoid a defender, but using it to step up in the pocket and then deliver a strike feels great.
      I agree with this, as it didn't seem like I was getting sucked into DL animation and was able to find gaps or holes to fit through to buy time or to take off to run. Being able to step up to buy some time and throw fluidly on the move to a RB or a WR running a little drag or something looked really good and seemed very realistic versus chucking something downfield.
      AustinWolv -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      This ^. One thing we talked about at the CD was that people are going to have to take a bit of time before they are able to point out things that need fixed because the passing is so much more realistic now. At first, people are going to throw a lot of INTs because they are throwing to WRs that aren't (and should not be) looking.

I'd throw in there that a lot of people don't even know the correct receiver to throw to based on the coverage.....they just would lob throws downfield using verts or would constantly throw high balls into coverage because they knew the AI defenders were just going to watch.

One of the reasons that I stopped playing online since watching guys just playing the NCAA video game and abusing the bad defensive play versus really playing the game of football just wasn't fun.
      Treadstone6700 -
      Just threw the most rewarding interception of my life. Tried to challenge Baylor's impact player safety (#25 I believe) on a go route with my TE. Both my TE and the safety went up to get the ball but the safety cut just enough in front of him to get the pick. They both were at their peak with their hands up in the air the safety just had better positioning. Very cool.

I've had it a couple of times playing as a defender where I still feel like I'm in pursuit of a ballcarrier and I get warped into a block that in real life would have been whiffed on, still seems to suck me into that engaged block position more than it should.
      tko27 -
      Any word on what time the PS3 demo will drop today? Has that already been announced and I just missed it?
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by tko27 View Post
      Any word on what time the PS3 demo will drop today? Has that already been announced and I just missed it?
      On one of the EA blogs yesterday, it said 7pm ET. I've never before seen an official time on a Sony update but that's what we have to go by for now. I wouldn't be surprised for it to be earlier though.
      Little Steve -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      On one of the EA blogs yesterday, it said 7pm ET. I've never before seen an official time on a Sony update but that's what we have to go by for now. I wouldn't be surprised for it to be earlier though.
      I <3 xbox
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Little Steve View Post
      I <3 xbox
      Kwizzy -
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
      Nice little breakdown of a couple of things from Tradition Sports.

2:21 I think his drag route possitivity is pretty weak..its a bad play all around..the defender is ahead and behind the receiver and morphs through him to block the pass... I might be missing something here or dont understand something that some football junky will counter me on..but I find that to be a bad thing
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      3:21 I think his drag route possitivity is pretty weak..its a bad play all around..the defender is ahead and behind the receiver and morphs through him to block the pass... I might be missing something here or dont understand something that some football junky will counter me on..but I find that to be a bad thing
      Disagree, the animation may still not "blend" as nicely as we would like it to however, as he said, the DB was in perfect position to defend that route & did so.
      JSmith03 -
      3:21 I think his drag route possitivity is pretty weak..its a bad play all around..the defender is ahead and behind the receiver and morphs through him to block the pass... I might be missing something here or dont understand something that some football junky will counter me on..but I find that to be a bad thing
      He didn't "morph" through. The defender was always in front of him, but essentially running next to him. So the defender kind of dived in front of him to swat the ball. It wasn't perfect animation-wise like Kwizzy said, but the DB made a great play, and he was in the position to do so. Looked good to me, and it's good that DBs can make those type of plays now on the regular.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      Disagree, the animation may still not "blend" as nicely as we would like it to however, as he said, the DB was in perfect position to defend that route & did so.
      the defender is already too far ahead to the left of receiver on screen and behind him as well..how is that a good position to block a ball when you should be throwing at the WR,not way in front to the left where the defender already is...?
      JSmith03 -
      the defender is already too far ahead to the left of receiver on screen and behind him as well..how is that a good position to block a ball when you should be throwing at the WR,not way in front to the left where the defender already is...?
      You can't throw right at a moving target. That's common sense. If a WR is moving forward at a high speed, and you tried to throw right at him, the WR would overrun the ball. Now, he could've throw behind the WR for sure. The point is, in NCAA 12 the WR would've most likely did a speed burst forward to catch that ball, or the defender would've done the same thing. He simply made a bad throw and the game didn't bail him out. The defender made a play he was capable of making because he was ahead of the WR, meaning he had better position to get to where the ball was going.
      cts -
      My favorite play from last night was when I was playing as USC. I had Marqise Lee beat his man on a post route, with no safety over the top, so I had Barkley put that touch on it and lead him a little bit on it. At first it looked like it was going to be an overthrow, just slightly ... but Lee caught up to it and laid out to make the grab. It just looked and felt so organic that it was a bit of a 'Wow' moment for me.

I also saw a CPU WR lay out for one that he didn't pull in. Given that I hardly ever saw a diving catch attempt in 12, and I've seen two in two demo games played ... I like it.
      Kwizzy -
      ^Exactly, the ideal place for a defender in man on a drag route is right where he was, step for step with him on the downfield side so he stays in front of you.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by JSmith03 View Post
      He didn't "morph" through. The defender was always in front of him, but essentially running next to him. So the defender kind of dived in front of him to swat the ball. It wasn't perfect animation-wise like Kwizzy said, but the DB made a great play, and he was in the position to do so. Looked good to me, and it's good that DBs can make those type of plays now on the regular.
      even if he didnt morph through, he was still behind the WR ( he was in front to the left but still behind the receiver) why would a QB throw a ball leading to the receivers left moving direction way in front of him? he would/should be throwing to the receivers left shoulder and the defender shouldnt be in position for a play ( I am not turning into the guys who knock the game with ridiculous minutia, I am just saying what I think I see)
      Kwizzy -
      even if he didnt morph through, he was still behind the WR ( he was in front to the left but still behind the receiver) why would a QB throw a ball leading to the receivers left moving direction way in front of him? he would/should be throwing to the receivers left shoulder and the defender shouldnt be in position for a play ( I am not turning into the guys who knock the game with ridiculous minutia, I am just saying what I think I see)
      The qb threw the ball exactly where you would on a drag route however, it was a bad read. The defender was playing that drag perfectly. If he wanted to hit a drag route he should have hit the first guy through, who's defender was trailing.