• NCAA Football 13 - Quick Clips

Each Thursday, a new NCAA Football 13 'Quick Clip' will be posted showcasing different aspects of the game in action.

Clip #1 (5/10) - NCAA Football 13 Gameplay USC Intro with Rece Davis In Studio
    Clip #2 (5/17) - Raw Gameplay - NCAA Football 13 - USC vs. Oregon Part Two
    Clip #3 (5/24) - NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Clips feat. Maryland & Michigan
    Clip #4 (5/31) - FIRST LOOK at Scouting when you start your Dynasty in NCAA Football 13
    NEW! Clip #5 (6/28) RAW Unedited Look at Dynasty Recruiting in NCAA Football 13

All clips will be archived in this thread. After checking out the video(s), share your thoughts with the community below.

Clip #1 - NCAA Football 13 Gameplay USC Intro with Rece Davis In Studio (May 10)

Clip #2 - Raw Gameplay - NCAA Football 13 - USC vs. Oregon Part Two (May 17)

Clip #3 - NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Clips feat. Maryland & Michigan (May 24)

Clip #4 - FIRST LOOK at Scouting when you start your Dynasty in NCAA Football 13 (May 31)

Clip #5 - RAW Unedited Look at Dynasty Recruiting in NCAA Football 13 (June 28)
    Comments 362 Comments
      Marlowe -
      Lol, wtf is the DE doing on that read? Bubble screen may have the dynamics improved but that was NOT the clip to show (minimal gain). The passing is better but the DB's look...um..."confused" is the only word that comes to mind. I dont like critiquing before playing the game since you can't really get a feel for the gameplay from these clips. I just thought those were kind of obvious.
      WolverineJay -
      Question for CD guys regarding the read option QB animation. In that WIP clip when did the CPU return control to the user? I mean was the QB forced or controlled to take that route it should've been cut up field immediately past the outside shoulder of the LT after he decided to keep it like a real-life option QB would. Part of the reason I hated running QB Wrap, Read Option, Speed Option, QB Blast, QB Draw, and QB Power is the lack of control the user has at the start of those plays(mostly the stuck in the mud animations but also the fact I wanted to cut another direction only to be controlled by the CPU for a few yards then I get control too late to cut inside or outside into space).
      Deuce -
      That was much better than last week. I still really can't tell a whole lot about the game but I liked the idea of showing specific examples of gameplay changes. Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      morsdraconis -
      Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
      Lol, wtf is the DE doing on that read? Bubble screen may have the dynamics improved but that was NOT the clip to show (minimal gain). The passing is better but the DB's look...um..."confused" is the only word that comes to mind. I dont like critiquing before playing the game since you can't really get a feel for the gameplay from these clips. I just thought those were kind of obvious.
      The DB play looked perfect to me. Using routes to flood zones is how this stuff is supposed to work. It was clearly all Cover 2 Zone (except for the comeback route and the "WR creating space" play where it looks like some type of Cover 3 zone in each of those) and it was that way to highlight the fact that, with the right route combinations, you have the ability to throw into windows created by the receivers forcing zone defenders to cover them.

As for the DE read, I'd rather have that than what the DE does in '12 (you know, not reading the damn play at all or reading the HB but still having the ability to turn on a dime and chance my QB down). At least here you're not punished for making the correct read and it actually gets your QB out into space where anything can happen.
      WolverineJay -
      The more videos EA releases keeps leading me to believe that a ton of routes are going to be money this year(granted these clips are probably on Varsity which is very user friendly so I will wait till the demo until I fully decide whether I buy 13' since I have a good deal of gameplay issues with 12' that I need to see resolved before deciding on NCAA 13). The year of the QB indeed. I just want balance in the pass game not overpowered one way or the other EA. I don't want to routinely go 30-40 for an 80 THP 80 THA QB even with my immediate change of User QBA to 20 every year. I sure hope it doesn't become too easy for any QB to connect on WR Curls, Comebacks, Slant Ins and Outs, Post Corners, Ins, Outs, Sluggos, and Wheel routes.
      Cane305 -
      Granted its just small clips, but this video looked a lot better then the USC Oregon gameplay. Excited to see the qb on the read option actually take off and not delay or be held back.
      psusnoop -
      The DE took the HB read and stayed with it, he didn't come back and make the tackle on the QB. I agree Mors I would rather that then the latter.

I thought the passing game was fine, critiquing it as far as tightness of coverage and all right now isn't worth it. Just not enough data to do so anyways. I liked how the WR was led into open areas, I hope that part works as well as it was shown.

For what it is, it is a nice quick video.
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      Main thing I saw was that all of those coverages were Cover 2 or Cover 3, to show off the improved passing. I do want to see man coverage though, & how that works. I feel that when we first get the game, it's going to be somewhat easy to throw for those that play people who don't know how to utilize the new adjustments on defense. That, and the option read looks fast, like PS2 fast. I like that a lot, no more delays & wasted animations on the fake.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
      Main thing I saw was that all of those coverages were Cover 2 or Cover 3, to show off the improved passing. I do want to see man coverage though, & how that works. I feel that when we first get the game, it's going to be somewhat easy to throw for those that play people who don't know how to utilize the new adjustments on defense.
      I think that's the case already. Anyone that doesn't mix things up currently is going to be slow to utilize the new adjustments on defense.

Good point though.
      Kwizzy -
      Couple things...
      1) I understand why these videos are released & all of that but I HATE them! You just don't know enough to make any good judgements. Things you don't know that could greatly impact what you are seeing: Skill Level, Player ratings, playcalls, etc... For instance on the "Comeback" clip, What are the ratings of the CB & WR? If that CB is a stud & the WR is average then I'm disappointed because the CB didn't play it all that well. If the opposite is true, then I'm exstatic. All I'm trying to say is, I would just be very careful of getting too excited or too disappointed based on videos like this. Which it seems like many are saying, and that's good.

2)The Def. called on that bubble screen appears to be cloud zone. Cover 3 with both safeties & the bubble side CB deep. I thought it was nice to see the way it worked out. On most bubble screens the WR is going to have to make a guy miss for the play to get a chunk of yards.

3)Zone read looked really nice. I'm definitely looking forward to being able to design my offense around some of those plays this year if what G has said is in fact the way things end up.
      WolverineJay -
      It looked like the User initiated the new play-action abort on that throw to the WR on the curl route. I did like that the LG and C were working together on keeping that DT from penetrating even after the C was thrown away like we see in 12' all the time.
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by WolverineJay View Post
      It looked like the User initiated the new play-action abort on that throw to the WR on the curl route. I did like that the LG and C were working together on keeping that DT from penetrating even after the C was thrown away like we see in 12' all the time.
      Pretty solid observation there. THAT is something that you can pick up a little in these videos. Definitely looked like the C did a much better job of trying to recover from being shucked & help again.
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
      Main thing I saw was that all of those coverages were Cover 2 or Cover 3, to show off the improved passing. I do want to see man coverage though, & how that works. I feel that when we first get the game, it's going to be somewhat easy to throw for those that play people who don't know how to utilize the new adjustments on defense. That, and the option read looks fast, like PS2 fast. I like that a lot, no more delays & wasted animations on the fake.
      The "WR Creating Space" vid shows the defense in a Cover 1 Man FWIW.
      ryby6969 -
      I did not care for the read play at all. The DE does not even look at the QB. It is like it went from one extreme to another. The only thing that would make it somewhat realistic would be the DE being low rated or have really low PRC.

The leading the receiver to open space kind of bothered me also. Unless I missed something, it looked like the receiver changed his route when the button was pressed without looking at the QB. Not to mention, he made a straight line for where the ball was going to go.
      beartide06 -
      Ok, from what I can see from that video, there are a couple of things I do not like at all. Granted, it is a WIP, but I feel they could have used better examples. For starters, that "comeback" route they claim in the video was NOT a comeback route at all. A comeback route is run 10 to 12 yards, outside or inside release, depending on the corners technique, and the cut is a break to the outside and then backwards at an angle 2 to 3 yards, thus "coming back" to the ball and catching it away from someone who has given too much cushion or was just slow on the cut. Here is what a proper comeback route should look like: http://youtu.be/3BlDfvoMx7g

Another thing I noticed is that of the bubble screen route. I rarely, if ever, see it run from under center. In fact, in offenses where the bubble screen is the staple, It is NEVER run from under center. Again, I know this is a WIP, but if they are going to show a video of specific things, they could at least ensure that the material is correctly portrayed.
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by beartide06 View Post
      Ok, from what I can see from that video, there are a couple of things I do not like at all. Granted, it is a WIP, but I feel they could have used better examples. For starters, that "comeback" route they claim in the video was NOT a comeback route at all. A comeback route is run 10 to 12 yards, outside or inside release, depending on the corners technique, and the cut is a break to the outside and then backwards at an angle 2 to 3 yards, thus "coming back" to the ball and catching it away from someone who has given too much cushion or was just slow on the cut. Here is what a proper comeback route should look like: http://youtu.be/3BlDfvoMx7g

Another thing I noticed is that of the bubble screen route. I rarely, if ever, see it run from under center. In fact, in offenses where the bubble screen is the staple, It is NEVER run from under center. Again, I know this is a WIP, but if they are going to show a video of specific things, they could at least ensure that the material is correctly portrayed.
      Yeah, comback was definitely NOT the terminology that should've been used. So I agree with you on the first part. As far as the 2nd part, Nebraska specifically runs it from under center & I'm sure others do too. So I really don't see a problem there.
      Dr Death -

Actually, that isn't a Bubble Screen in that video. One, the QB is under center, which as you point out, is NOT how it's run, and two, the QB throws from the 40 yard line and the WR catches it at the 42... making this a lateral!!! So you are correct in the fact that this is not how it's run, but the sad thing is that it's not even a pass - it's just a lateral.
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      Yeah, comback was definitely NOT the terminology that should've been used. So I agree with you on the first part. As far as the 2nd part, Nebraska specifically runs it from under center & I'm sure others do too. So I really don't see a problem there.
      See, I thought I may have seen it run from under center before, but I just do not see it often. That is why I said rarely

Does Nebraska run the bubble screen as one of their main plays throughout the year? I also watched a video of Wisconsin running it from under center, but again, do they run it often? By the way, I'm asking out of curiosity, not to be sarcastic or anything. I am sure you know much more about their play calling than I do. Lol.
      beartide06 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
      Actually, that isn't a Bubble Screen in that video. One, the QB is under center, which as you point out, is NOT how it's run, and two, the QB throws from the 40 yard line and the WR catches it at the 42... making this a lateral!!! So you are correct in the fact that this is not how it's run, but the sad thing is that it's not even a pass - it's just a lateral.
      Well, I wouldn't say "it's not" run from under center. Here is a video of it being broke down against a cover 3 defense with Wisconsin, (Start watching at about the 27 second mark): http://youtu.be/-qLMFs_ZEjg

I just do not see it TOO much from under center. I am more familiar with it being run from teams who run it out of the shotgun a lot as you probably are, too.
      Kwizzy -
      Well, I wouldn't say "it's not" run from under center. Here is a video of it being broke down against a cover 3 defense with Wisconsin, (Start watching at about the 27 second mark): http://youtu.be/-qLMFs_ZEjg

I just do not see it TOO much from under center. I am more familiar with it being run from teams who run it out of the shotgun a lot as you probably are, too.
      I can't definitively say why either NE or WISC run it but what it seems like to me is it's something they incorporate to keep teams honest. With both of those teams, defenses will start to cheat off of the WR to support the run & the possibility of the ball going out quick to the WR will keep them honest.

At any rate, trust me there will be bubble screens from shotgun & pistol sets as well. It just happens that they used an under center set in this video. Also, I think it's a little nit picky to say that this isn't a bubble screen because it was a lateral Dr. Death. The play was obviously a bubble screen, the fact that it was run from the formation it was makes it so that sometimes that is a lateral. Nebraska gave up a TD a cpl years ago on a play like that where the ball wasn't caught & the TTech defender picked it up & took it to the house.