• NCAA Football 13: Gameplay Webcast - Recap

Tuesday afternoon, EA SPORTS held their NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Webcast in which they announced gameplay features and improvements coming to the game.

Among the areas of focus to gameplay in NCAA Football 13 are a new Total Control Passing Mechanic (including new pass trajectories), a new catching system (including 430+ new catch animations), Read & React Defensive AI, improved punt coverage and return formations, as well as option, playcalling, and custom playbook improvements, among other changes.

Continue on to view the LiveStream archive of the event, a detailed list of announced Gameplay improvements, links to media articles and blogs discussing the improvements, and also thoughts from fellow community members.

Gameplay Improvements:
    - All-new Pump Fake
    - All-new Shovel Pass
    - New Dropbacks (20+ new animations)
    - New Play-Action Abort Fake
    - New Play-Action Pick Up Blitz
    - Throw on the Run Animations
    - Multiple Pass Trajectories (20+ new; new zones/ball speeds)
    - Receiver Route Awareness
    - 430+ New Catch Animations
    - Enhanced Option Pitch
    - Improved Punt Coverage
    - Read & React Defenders

For detailed information on the gameplay improvements, check out the archived NCAA Football 13 LiveStream event:
    Watch live streaming video from easports at livestream.com

Media Articles & Video:
    ESPN Video Games - 'NCAA Football 13 ends psychic defense' by Jon Robinson
    IGN - 'Tweaking the Gameplay of NCAA Football 13' by Greg Miller
    Kotaku - 'A Backup Quarterback Pushes You to be Better in NCAA Football 13' by Owen Good
    Game Informer - 'NCAA Football 13 Strengthens Its Aerial Attack' by Matthew Kato
    G4TV - NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Preview (Video)

Official EA SPORTS Blog:
    'NCAA Football 13 - Gameplay' by Larry Richart
    'NCAA Football 13 - Community Gameplay' by Chris Jacobs
    Comments 175 Comments
      baseballplyrmvp -
      question on the shovel pass.....does your rb have to have a certain route called or does it just happen if he's set to block?
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
      question on the shovel pass.....does your rb have to have a certain route called or does it just happen if he's set to block?
      My understanding is that if he is a reciever (ie-has a button assigned to him) and he is pretty close to the QB, then throwing the ball to him should result in a shovel animation where appropriate. I can't remember off the top of my head, but does a HB who is blocking have an icon still?
      ram29jackson -
      ...430 new catch animations...

dear God, those penn State whites look great on my new screen LOL
      steelerfan -
      Just watched the webcast. There were a ton of tweaks discussed and I'm excited, in particular, for a few of them.

Number one, for me, is the ability to disguise coverages. That is huge. I'm hoping to see the day when zone coverage is as effective (relative to the specifics of the situation) as man. This is a big step towards that (and to getting me out of the habit of calling so much Cover 2 Man).

I like the changes in the punt game. I was hoping for a serious special teams overhaul, but this is a good start. At least something was addressed.

I love the read and react stuff. The video that showed the USC QB dropping a pass in over #46 for Oregon was nice. In the past, that one is broken up or picked.

I like that alot of QB animations have been sped up. Particularly the deep ball delivery. That bothered me alot in 12.

I'm also happy to see so many new catch animations. There was too much weird warping to overcome angles in the receiving game last year. It really made it tough to get nice looking highlights (particularly photos).

That's it off the top of my head. We'll see how all of this pans out in July. Till then, I'm looking forward to the Dynasty webcast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
      Cane305 -
      They do anything on defense to stop the four vertical plays or the deep ball in general? In 12 you could run four verts every play and someone would always be open.
      volstopfan14 -
      Sorry, posted in the worng thread.
      AustinWolv -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cane305 View Post
      They do anything on defense to stop the four vertical plays or the deep ball in general? In 12 you could run four verts every play and someone would always be open.
      No shit. Encountered that yet again last night.

Be interesting to see how shovel pass is tuned. Looks like another tool for the cheesers.
      Cane305 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
      No shit. Encountered that yet again last night.

Be interesting to see how shovel pass is tuned. Looks like another tool for the cheesers.
      Yea would be nice if they made the defense play well enough for the user to actually have to open the play book and use more then 3-4 rotating plays that work 99% of the time....
      Rudy -
      There was a lot of impressive stuff in there. New animations for throwing and catching, new drop backs, new trajectories, better defensive alignment, no psychic defense (allegedly), better option plays and punt blocking. But all of that stuff focused on the user. We heard nothing about how the cpu will execute any of these new tools. EA has never had the cpu run the spread right. Oregon has always been way too easy to beat and stop. Will the cpu RBs use special moves and show some personality? Will the cpu throw the ball to their top WRs? It's like playing LeBron in an NBA game and he only takes 5 shots. These improvements are great but if you don't see the cpu use them like a human it's pointless for an offline gamer like me. Unfortunately online dynasty and head-to-head gaming seems to take a priority over offline single player. It was a really good webcast but many more questions remain.
      Cane305 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      There was a lot of impressive stuff in there. New animations for throwing and catching, new drop backs, new trajectories, better defensive alignment, no psychic defense (allegedly), better option plays and punt blocking. But all of that stuff focused on the user. We heard nothing about how the cpu will execute any of these new tools. EA has never had the cpu run the spread right. Oregon has always been way too easy to beat and stop. Will the cpu RBs use special moves and show some personality? Will the cpu throw the ball to their top WRs? It's like playing LeBron in an NBA game and he only takes 5 shots. These improvements are great but if you don't see the cpu use them like a human it's pointless for an offline gamer like me. Unfortunately online dynasty and head-to-head gaming seems to take a priority over offline single player. It was a really good webcast but many more questions remain.
      agreed...
      Kwizzy -
      I agree with you completely about the viability of the CPU Rudy. I have made those concerns known and will continue to do so. I think you did however hear them address how these things will affect the CPU somewhat. I understand it's not exactly what we are looking for, but things like: CPU QB's getting better/more realistic drops (especially on screens), throwing on the run without stopping to set up, disguising coverage, QBs moving in the pocket, etc... are all things that will apply to the CPU/that the CPU will use, that will improve its competetiveness IMO. Again, I understand and agree entirely with what you are looking for & wholeheartedly agree that the things I have listed are not enough. But my hope is that these will improve it somewhat and further tweaking can also help.

IMO though, until they make this one of the "main features" so to speak, for a year this will continue to be an area that is lacking.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      IMO though, until they make this one of the "main features" so to speak, for a year this will continue to be an area that is lacking.
      Some these things probably require big re-writes in code. But some can be fixed with sliders. Adding a shotgun run slider would be huge in terms of tuning the cpu spread-option running game. I think you or someone else mentioned a more detailed slider set other than RB Ability - maybe separate sliders for speed vs. special move. Improving punt returns sounds nice but adding a slider for kick returns would also be a big help. I'd still love to see pass coverage split between man and zone.

As a big slider guy I always believe the more the better. Are the devs slider haters or have they considered these things?
      baseballplyrmvp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
      My understanding is that if he is a reciever (ie-has a button assigned to him) and he is pretty close to the QB, then throwing the ball to him should result in a shovel animation where appropriate. I can't remember off the top of my head, but does a HB who is blocking have an icon still?
      thanks kwizzy. i take it, with no actual shovel pass plays then, it'd be unlikely to see something similar to this vid? the 2 linemen kick out on that play and block upfield for alex green. Or could it be done by calling a hb slip screen and keeping my qb somewhat close to the rb when he slips out?

also in the webcast, they hit on the different dropbacks and how on bubble screen plays, the qb only takes 1 step and then fires it out there. is the wr blocking logic fixed? the receivers have the old blocking logic of running to a certain spot on the field and then looking for a defender, rather than seeking out someone to block from the get go (like what the o-line currently do).

as far as penalties go, are there multiple penalties per play like in this vid? or offsetting penalties?
      Kwizzy -
      Some these things probably require big re-writes in code. But some can be fixed with sliders. Adding a shotgun run slider would be huge in terms of tuning the cpu spread-option running game. I think you or someone else mentioned a more detailed slider set other than RB Ability - maybe separate sliders for speed vs. special move. Improving punt returns sounds nice but adding a slider for kick returns would also be a big help. I'd still love to see pass coverage split between man and zone.

As a big slider guy I always believe the more the better. Are the devs slider haters or have they considered these things?
      I would tend to agree that more sliders=better. I honestly don't know that I have ever had a conversation with the devs about sliders. I will make sure to ask next time I have the chance, or better yet, Tommy can you get a feel for that when you're down there?
      Cane305 -
      Kwizzy, I know should be under sights and sounds, but they also keep mentioning not to pay attention to player models etc cause work in progress..but do you know if they are going to implement new player models or why do they keep mentioning it? As vids show, players appear same as last year?
      Kwizzy -
      thanks kwizzy. i take it, with no actual shovel pass plays then, it'd be unlikely to see something similar to this vid? the 2 linemen kick out on that play and block upfield for alex green. Or could it be done by calling a hb slip screen and keeping my qb somewhat close to the rb when he slips out?

also in the webcast, they hit on the different dropbacks and how on bubble screen plays, the qb only takes 1 step and then fires it out there. is the wr blocking logic fixed? the receivers have the old blocking logic of running to a certain spot on the field and then looking for a defender, rather than seeking out someone to block from the get go (like what the o-line currently do).
      I don't believe the WR blocking has been addressed, at least in terms of making it as it needs to be, hence it being in my top 6 list for 14. I do know that it's something that's on the gameplay guys' radars in a big way. In terms of this year's game I think a couple things in addition to the QB animation will help:

1) The off man coverage.
      2) Read-React & tuning should make it so that defenders aren't sprinting at the screen from the instant the ball is snapped.
      3) There is a third part that I think will help here but it wasn't mentioned in the blog so let me get confirmation before I spill the beans. Rudy, this component should also help with the shotgun running game.
      ReBuKez -
      I wish they would show NC STATE. Just wanna get a glimpse to see if they put the right jersey.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      thanks for lettin me pick your brain kwizzy.
      Kwizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Cane305 View Post
      Kwizzy, I know should be under sights and sounds, but they also keep mentioning not to pay attention to player models etc cause work in progress..but do you know if they are going to implement new player models or why do they keep mentioning it? As vids show, players appear same as last year?
      Well, everything is a work in progress until the code is final, I know sometimes they are working like hell to make something work & have to pull it at the last second. Also, I think today they were just trying to stress that they were showing off gameplay & that the graphics were not representative of the actual game.
      Kwizzy -
      thanks for lettin me pick your brain kwizzy.
      Anytime man, I just wish I could answer your quesitons better. Especially with the shovel passes, I just haven't seen it in action enough to really give you a solid answer.