• NCAA Football 12 - Game Update #2 Details

EA SPORTS has posted a new blog detailing Game Update #2 for NCAA Football 12.

UPDATE - From the NCAA Football 12 Twitter account:

Title Update #2 Update: We have made it through internal certification and now we're waiting on approval from Sony/Microsoft. The update is hitting a bit later than expected because we addressed a few additional stability issues that will improve the experience.

Continue on to see the announced game update contents.

Hey everyone, Ben Haumiller here and I’m happy to officially announce the details on the second Title Update for NCAA Football 12. Unfortunately I can’t give an exact release date, but it currently looks like the Title Update will release before the end of this month. We’ll be sure to keep you posted on the Title Update availability here and on our social channels.

Before getting to the details of the update, I want to take a moment to thank you, the NCAA Football community, for all of your patience and assistance during the past couple of weeks. A great many of you share the same passion for this game as we do, and you did everything possible to help identify issues, and provide the necessary details - not just to help make a game better, but to make your game better. If you are reading this, you are a member of the most dedicated community in gaming, and for that we are truly grateful. Now, on to the details:

Week Advance Anywhere

As a token of our appreciation, we’re happy to announce that as of today “Week Advance Anywhere” on the web is now available for use, and that this feature will be FREE for everyone to use.

Custom Playbooks

With this Title Update the missing play issue that led to a number of problems when using Custom Playbooks has been fixed. Not only is the issue fixed, but you will not need to recreate your playbooks! Any existing playbook will have the fix applied, and you will be able to continue using that playbook without issue.

Tendencies

As with the Custom Playbooks resolution, the fix to the issue of edited player tendencies changing will not negate any previously edited roster file. The fix will be applied to both those existing files, as well as any new roster file that is created.

If you are in a Dynasty or Online Dynasty you will not need to restart as long as your Dynasty is still in year one and you have not advanced past “Training Results” in the off-season. If you are before this point, the update will be applied to your existing Dynasty/Online Dynasty and the tendencies will be correct for all players going forward. If you are in year two and beyond, the tendency issue impact will be less and less as the players graduate/are cut from the rosters.

In addition to the tendencies issue, we have also included both the ability to edit height and weight for players, as well as the option to edit the rosters of CPU controlled teams. In an Online Dynasty the commissioner will have the ability to edit the rosters for other human controlled teams. These were both big requests from you in the community.

Finally, a bug was fixed with the profanity filter that was preventing many common names from being entered. Now, any name can be entered, for offline use. A profanity filter is applied to Online Dynasty when the Dynasty is created. If you prefer to opt out of this filter, you can set the Dynasty to Private and the profanity check will not run.

Freezes/Crashes

A major focus for this Title Update was to address any freezes/crashes that were found. There were a number of these issues fixed in this Title Update including a crash that occurred when there were multiple TeamBuilder teams in an Online Dynasty, as well as a crash that occurred during the downloading of an Online Dynasty file.

Gameplay

Increased the acceleration of QB’s on Speed Option plays.

Improved WR blocking, especially on option plays

Fixed an issue where defenders assigned to play the curl to flat/buzz zone did not engage immediately when the QB scrambles past the LOS.

Fixed an issue where safeties with inside deep ¼ zone would drop back instead of read-and-react on run plays.

Fixed an issue in Nickel Cover 3 where the flat zone defender didn’t move as the QB was running at them.

Fixed an issue with Double Outs from 4-2-5 Normal where the RLB wasn’t blocked properly vs. certain formations.

Highlights

Fixed an issue that caused a blank photo to be uploaded leading to issues with other highlights being uploaded.
    Dynasty

Fixed an issue in Online Dynasty where injured players did not remain injured when the week advanced.

Fixed an issue where a player’s injury time was only reduced by one week when going from Conference Championship week to Bowl Season. Players will now be back for their Bowl game if they should be off of the IR when their bowl game is played.

Fixed an issue where coaches that changed jobs could get stuck in a state where they were still listed as coaching at their old school on the Players Leaving screen, leading to a Transfer Failed issue.

Fixed an issue that occasionally prevented Dynasties from advancing to the post season.

Fixed an issue with the schedule that prevented entering the Virginia Tech vs. Boston College game (fixed for both Dynasty and RTG).

Fixed an issue where recruiting related trophies/achievements were not unlocked properly if you signed an extension in that season.

Fixed an issue with Program Stability where the grade would drop from A+ to D+ in one season.

Fixed an issue with the Unlock All Promises PDLC not unlocking properly on the Dynasty website.

When viewing an Online Dynasty invite, added information to show what type of job can be selected by default.

Fixed an issue when in the off-season where player stats did not match up between the web and console.
    RTG

Fixed an issue where CB’s could not audible after earning the ability to do so through Coach Trust.

Fixed an issue where HB’s could not flip the play after earning the ability to do so through Coach Trust.

Fixed an issue where player’s online stats were not displaying promptly on the Online Leaderboards.

That concludes the list of updates that will be included in the second Title Update. Once again, thank you for your continued support, as well as your willingness to help make NCAA Football 12 the best it can be.
    Comments 268 Comments
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      Officially this is ridiculous. Get the darn thing out already. The fact that "Sony/Ms" or who the F ever has to "approve" this crap and they take so long is pathetic.
      I don't think it's fair to blame Sony/MS for this yet. We don't know exactly when EA released the patch to them. I do share the frustration of the wait.
      iBrandon -
      Waiting on the patch is starting to get frustrating. I keep having multiple freezes and it's ruining the game for me.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I don't think it's fair to blame Sony/MS for this yet. We don't know exactly when EA released the patch to them. I do share the frustration of the wait.
      I'm blaming the system of certification. The fact that the manufacturer can't certify their own crap to get a game-breaker fix to the consumer as soon as humanly possible is ridiculous. If everything's ready for us, there is no reason it should take more than a week to certify through the upper ranks. 2-3 weeks is a system thing only, with the way tech is these days and the system needs to be changed.

On that note though. Id rather wait up to an extra month for the game to get beta tested online and fixed out the box. I realize they're getting everything into the game that they can. But something of this magnitude just shouldn't be allowed to happen. Every other game freezes, every third game fails to transfer. I've wasted 40+ hrs on games that didn't end up counting and its pathetic.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
      jaymo76 -
      The patch isn't so much the big thing for me, it's the TUNER SET. However, what I don't get is why EA attaches tuner sets to the patch??? They are totally seperate and supposed to be seperate...???...
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      I'm blaming the system of certification. The fact that the manufacturer can't certify their own crap to get a game-breaker fix to the consumer as soon as humanly possible is ridiculous. If everything's ready for us, there is no reason it should take more than a week to certify through the upper ranks. 2-3 weeks is a system thing only, with the way tech is these days and the system needs to be changed.
      As a software tester that has to approve stuff before it goes to the customer ... I completely disagree. There's a reason for the wait.
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      The patch isn't so much the big thing for me, it's the TUNER SET. However, what I don't get is why EA attaches tuner sets to the patch??? They are totally seperate and supposed to be seperate...???...
      100% agree. It totally defeats the purpose to only do tuner sets with patches. It makes no sense.
      keyser soze -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      100% agree. It totally defeats the purpose to only do tuner sets with patches. It makes no sense.
      They might have reasons for wanting to put them out at the same time and blend them together.... I am predicting a LOT of unhappy customers after these come out so might as well have all the fall out at once.
      jaymo76 -
      I am always worried with patches. Pre patch 2 last year, I found the cpu run game to be the best run game in the NCAA series, ever. After the patch it was just awful, very similar to this year.
      roccogator -
      Yeah it is a double-edged sword. On one hand you want the things broken fixed, but on the other you dread what will be broken by the patch.

Obviously, I do not know the complexities of the tuner files, but these have the outward appearance based on past fixes attributed to them of being something that would be great if the community could modify. It would appear to give community leaders or commissioners the ability to tune progression, recruits initial ratings, fumbles, injury occurrence, drop frequency, slider effectiveness, and more. This is obviously not something for the casual gamer, but for the hard core it would give us more control over how the game plays.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by roccogator View Post
      This is obviously not something for the casual gamer, but for the hard core it would give us more control over how the game plays.
      Agreed. Seems like some titles have all of those options, others don't. I've never figured out the pattern (of who includes the options) though.
      GatorBait06NC -
      Waiting for the patch is no big deal at this point. But EA knows about how long certification takes. And why release it so close to Madden makes no sense. They would have to know some sort of time frame to even say that the patch would be out before the end of August. I like how slickly they worded it in the patch 2 details. "The patch will be out before the end of August" which now basically meant "Around the end of August, possibly last day of August" But they worded it to give you hope that it could have been out as early as mid August. Especially when the first major update over the past 2 or 3 years has usually be released in mid-August.

Heres the thing that bugs me, I know about the whole certification thing. But If they charged for this update, I would bet the farm that it would have been out a week or two before Madden. No way they would release a patch that you had to pay for in competition with Maddens launch. It would get passed over by a lot of people.

Dont the gaming companies have to charged after a certain amount of patches anyway??
      Whatcha -
      I think the tuner set has to be released with the patch because it modifies the way things occur once the game has been patched. If they apply a tuner set pre-patch they would have to turn around and apply another tuner set post-patch.

With regards to timing, no matter where the patch is, if it fixes the few minor things I'm annoyed with then I'm happy. I haven't had nearly as many problems as some have mentioned.
      jaymo76 -
      Sounds like Pasta is of the opinion that NCAA is "preparing" gamers to accept that a patch will not be out until September... brutal!
      steelerfan -
      Sounds like Pasta is of the opinion that NCAA is "preparing" gamers to accept that a patch will not be out until September... brutal!
      You know what they say about opinions, and Pasta is one.

While he may be right, he's wrong alot too. He's just a traffic whore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
      I OU a Beatn -
      Technically, they only have 5 more days to get it out before it will be September, not including weekends. I've very rarely seen a patch released on a weekend, so I'd say Pasta is dead on.

On another note, I'm kind of baffled as to what is taking them so long. If everyone remembers last year with NCAA '11, they RELEASED the game's THIRD patch in early September(a web site I just checked out said September 7th, which sounds about right), so they're a lot further behind this year than they were last year.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
      Technically, they only have 5 more days to get it out before it will be September, not including weekends. I've very rarely seen a patch released on a weekend, so I'd say Pasta is dead on.

On another note, I'm kind of baffled as to what is taking them so long. If everyone remembers last year with NCAA '11, they RELEASED the game's THIRD patch in early September(a web site I just checked out said September 7th, which sounds about right), so they're a lot further behind this year than they were last year.
      I don't have any "inside information" on this, but my best guess is that they had to add things to the patch that weren't initially accounted for. In that Dead Pixel interview, Ben said there were things in the patch that aren't listed in the blog and that he'd do another blog later to address those. That's my guess as to why it's not out, but who knows?
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by GatorBait06NC View Post
      But If they charged for this update, I would bet the farm that it would have been out a week or two before Madden. No way they would release a patch that you had to pay for in competition with Maddens launch. It would get passed over by a lot of people.

Dont the gaming companies have to charged after a certain amount of patches anyway??
      Yes. After Patch 2. Which is why the second patch is *usually* later in a product's life cycle and *usually* much larger than Patch 1. So, if you reverse the conversation about them charging us for a Patch, it makes business sense to delay as long as practical to release Patch 2, and make sure it has as much content as is reasonable. You'd hate to release Patch 2 and leave out something worthwhile. Because once Patch 2 is released, you're faced with the decision of not patching again, or paying to do so. Sucky business decision.

That's also why there are a lot of titles out there that only release two patches, no matter how long their product lifecycle.
      Rudy -
      It's also a good reason to not do a release day patch. The retail disc shouldn't have any major issue that requires a day one patch because everyone knows the first two weeks after release are where the big issues come up. If you don't waste one of your free patches at release it makes it easier to do two of them later.
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      Haven't played in a week, I take it the patch isn't out yet?
      skipwondah33 -
      Time keeps on ticking.......