• More Raw Gameplay Footage from NCAA Football 12 - Utah at Colorado and Alabama at Oklahoma State

EA has posted two new gameplay videos for NCAA Football 12, one featuring the two new PAC-12 members, Utah Utes at Colorado Buffaloes, and the other focusing on Zone Defense with Alabama at Oklahoma State. Continue after the break to check out the videos and let us know what you think.

Comments 122 Comments
      WolverineJay -
      Yeah the images on that pick were poor quality, but I agree with ram29jackson the way the DB jumps the route as the WR fades back away just looks hella unrealistic to me. That animation has been in the game for years and I just wish that the WR who knows the DB is right there would be more aggressive for the ball rather than do that fade away with lowered hands animation as if he is uncovered, meh. I just wish the demo was out already so I can get somekind of feel for the gameplay improvements in 12'.
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      i agree that I think receivers should be more aggressive, but that's tough to animate imo, especially in that situation. In zones, most receivers aren't reactionary cause they run their route and sit there unless there is a scramble situation. When a defense is in a zone, they are the ones who have the reactionary advantage cause all 11 defenders have their eyes on the ball, makes it easier to jump routes.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      guys... im sorry.. but the pick is played well... he had outside leverage on the WR the QB threw it outside, the safety just jumped the route and took the ball... piss poor throw by the user and would have had better results if he waited a bit longer to force the defender to trail at least... sorry but ive watched it over and over... good pick well played by the AI...

"E"
      OSUCowboyofMD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
      I just did some quick research and I believe that the Cowboys graduated their starting kicker this past season; nobody listed as a kicker on their spring roster has compiled any statistics as a kicker in college play as far as I could tell.
      Likely Quinn Sharp, or Wes Harlan
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
      guys... im sorry.. but the pick is played well... he had outside leverage on the WR the QB threw it outside, the safety just jumped the route and took the ball... piss poor throw by the user and would have had better results if he waited a bit longer to force the defender to trail at least... sorry but ive watched it over and over... good pick well played by the AI...

"E"
      you dont seem to understand the total point ?(didnt mean for that to be offensive) so what if he had so called outside leverage..how do you know the AI didnt dictate the outcome as opposed to human controller decision making? can you make more of an inside throw or not? and even if you do, will the same animation still play out ? did the DB really have outside leverage or did the AI tell the receiver to just give up on the route ?
      CoreySA -
      Game looks fantastic. There looks to be some nice zone improvements, lighting looks better...can't wait until the 28th for the demo!
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      you dont make inside throws on outside routes, and in the video the WR went for the high ball and actually jumped, in real life the WR would have no idea the guy was jumping the route... still not sure what is unrealistic and i get the point... (like you man... not trying to be offensive... just discussing)

"E"
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by xGRIDIRONxGURUx View Post
      you dont make inside throws on outside routes, and in the video the WR went for the high ball and actually jumped, in real life the WR would have no idea the guy was jumping the route... still not sure what is unrealistic and i get the point... (like you man... not trying to be offensive... just discussing)

"E"
      a quaterback can throw a ball anywhere he wants-inside shoulder-ouside shoulder, there arent any timing patterns in videogame football.
      xGRIDIRONxGURUx -
      the out route he is throwing isnt a timing route, its designed for zones... flood... even in "videogame football" it was a bad pass by the user... even according to your own statements... he threw high and outside where the DB was, but regardless, it was a solid D play

"E"
      RussellWilson -
      I wonder if NCAA '12 will have Oregon's jersey that they wore in the BCS national championship game against Auburn?? The game looks really good especially the fans and the allstate net Since I want to play the demo so badly, it seems to me like time is going by real slow......
      AustinWolv -
      Yeah, the SS is right in the path that the WR is taking and then as the ball gets there, he jumps forward to pick it off. I personally don't see anything wrong with the interaction there.
      Looked good to me. Way better than past versions in being believable.

and would it have been different/better had the QB not thrown until the WR was further into his route ?
      Of course it would be different.....the QB led the pass and receiver right into that interception.......if the throw was later in the route, the WR would have likely had a step to the outside on the safety so we'd have to see how the SS mans that zone and then passes the receiver off to the next zone....

I really like what I saw at about the 8:06 mark of the video......the QB forces the slant into a receiver who gets pummeled since he was led into a defender's zone. In other words, my hope is that not only are the zones improved, which they appear to be, but there is residual effect in that if you aren't finding guys open in those zones and instead forcing them in, guys are going to get lit up and passes broken up as a result. This is good stuff.

I agree.
      Jayrah -
      I'm with the Guru on this one. Both picks (Utah and Bama) I've seen time and time again in real life. Can't make that throw with a guy right there it gets pick 6'd 9 times outta 10. I remember watching WSU jump that route against Oregon (the last time we beat them (maybe 5 years ago?) and take it to the house. Since then I've seen it several other times against us .

But in general, this happens a LOT! Here's 2 examples:

Cliff Harris vs Tenn last season:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtsykx-PQA

Walter Thurmond vs Purdue 2 seasons ago:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONhpA1Zndvs
      morsdraconis -
      The only thing I saw that was weird about it was it looked like the safety warped through the player, but, then, going back to the replay that they show of it, he just steps in front of the receiver.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      I'm with the Guru on this one. Both picks (Utah and Bama) I've seen time and time again in real life. Can't make that throw with a guy right there it gets pick 6'd 9 times outta 10. I remember watching WSU jump that route against Oregon (the last time we beat them (maybe 5 years ago?) and take it to the house. Since then I've seen it several other times against us .

But in general, this happens a LOT! Here's 2 examples:

Cliff Harris vs Tenn last season:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtsykx-PQA

Walter Thurmond vs Purdue 2 seasons ago:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONhpA1Zndvs

whether and how it happens in reality is beside the point. This is about how AI is expected to counter or react and how it looks when doing so.

for those saying this looks realistic or happens in a realistic situation....how do you know as of yet, whether or not the AI defender wouldnt have picked it off even if the QB had thrown it later, so, instead the AI would have picked it off from inside or under on the same play.

we saw it happen both ways in ncaa11...so was this based on AI ratings or a scripted situation?
      xMrHitStickx904 -
      if he threw it later in the route, and the ball was placed out in front, it's a completion. he threw it was too early, and the D made a great play.
      jaymo76 -
      Is Erin Andrews in this game anyomre? Have there been any updates to injuries or is it still broken like last year? I have not seen one video with Erin A reporting and have seen no cut scnes regarding getting injured players off the field. From the Oklahoma St game #84 gets hurt but you only see a little info bar three plays later. Anything new to report???
      AustinWolv -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      whether and how it happens in reality is beside the point. This is about how AI is expected to counter or react and how it looks when doing so.

for those saying this looks realistic or happens in a realistic situation....how do you know as of yet, whether or not the AI defender wouldnt have picked it off even if the QB had thrown it later, so, instead the AI would have picked it off from inside or under on the same play.

we saw it happen both ways in ncaa11...so was this based on AI ratings or a scripted situation?
      You saw evidence that it was correct in that situation. Talking about a different situation is silly, in this instance. In this instance, you are wrong. We'll all get to check out your hypothetical situation at a later date.

Solved.
      Paakaa10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Is Erin Andrews in this game anyomre? Have there been any updates to injuries or is it still broken like last year? I have not seen one video with Erin A reporting and have seen no cut scnes regarding getting injured players off the field. From the Oklahoma St game #84 gets hurt but you only see a little info bar three plays later. Anything new to report???
      Erin Andrews is definitely still in the game; I guess the problem right now is that none of the high-quality direct-feed footage has shown off the point in the game where her contribution to the commentary is biggest for NCAA Football 12: after halftime in the "GameTrack" feature. There are a bunch of newly-recorded lines--I believe from all three commentators--to accompany this new presentational element.

As to the Oklahoma State player who gets hurt:
      • 7:10 of the video is where the play starts.
      • 7:20 is where he gets lit up catching the ball across the middle.
      • 8:30 of the video--after one play has been run since the injury--is when the "injury status" pops up from the scorebug: "Injury Update: OK ST WR #84 - Back Spasms, Will Return Soon"
      • 8:55 of the video--two plays have now been run since the injury--and you get the "Coaching Decision" pop up as to whether the player should return to the game or not.

I think one reason we might not have heard any Erin Andrews commentary on the injury is because obviously there was some special mode setup to keep Oklahoma State on offense even after turnovers and missed field goals; the commentary from Nessler is incredulously talking about it being a 16- and 17-play offensive drive on the two plays after the injury.

Thankfully we're just a few days away from the UStream on the demo and hopefully we'll see some footage from that with Erin Andrews commentary; if we get to play a full game in the demo, I really hope that the "GameTrack" feature is included so you all can see that too.
      rhombic21 -
      Overall, I think the game looks pretty good. I have a couple nitpicky type things that I'm a little concerned about:

1) Hard to say without knowing the defensive line ratings, but I didn't see nearly as much pressure from the front 4 in the Utah-Colorado video as was present in some of the previous videos. Also, I didn't see all that much pressure in the Alabama-OSU video. Still a concern for me.

2) I am starting to get a little concerned that HB screens will go back to how they were on NCAA '09, where they were HUGE gains anytime that the defense was in zone or zone blitzed. Do defensive linemen and linebackers ever recognize and react to screens? Also, I REALLY wish they'd get rid of the option to throw to players other than the HB on this play. I just remember on NCAA '09, you had people that would call HB screens over and over, and if you manually went to guard the screen, they would throw to somebody else downfield. Hoping to not see the return of that this year.

3) I am not in love with the way that cover 2 works on the game. I think it may be possible to deal with it by making some adjustments and manually controlling the MLB, but I think the CBs are way too aggressive against the flats, and I see some troubling issues where the LBs don't play vertical threats all that well. Also, in the Bama-OSU video, the first play of the game is kind of confusing. As you watch the WR come across and split the two zones of the ILBs, it appears that #30 could have covered the play, but he inexplicably stops running as soon as the ball was thrown. Watch that play again. There's a weird pause/hitch in his movements which allows the pass to be completed, and there aren't any other routes that he's reacting to. Also, #30 should be a very highly rated player, so it can't be the ratings that causes it.

The main improvement that I see, in terms of zone coverage, is with the deep safeties, who look to be MUCH better at picking up threats to their areas and not leaving huge gaps in the intermediate parts of the field. And underneath zones are a lot better at dealing with horizontal threats. The underneath zones (flat zones and hook zones), it looks to me, could still do a better job dealing with vertical threats. There are some issues where they don't seem to be doing quite as good as they should at maintaining a correct position against intermediate routes (like deep ins) and vertical routes (there's also a play at the 10:00 minute mark of the Bama-OSU video where a DB has a hook zone that should take away the dig route, but he doesn't react to it well and allows the WR to get in behind him).

Also, I am still a little nervous to see how routes to the intermediate sideline area (long-developing slants, wheel routes) are defended, just because I haven't seen those.

It looks to me like some of the A gap zone blitzes might work a little better this year. Obviously it's a limited sample size, but I've seen a few now where the MLB ends up coming free on a cross blitz in ways that didn't happen before. I'll be interested to see how difficult it is to get pressure packages that work on the game, particularly with zone blitzes that overload one side and drop a defender off on the other. Especially out of the 3-4, where it was very difficult last year to find zone blitzes that actually worked correctly (and I noticed that the OL seemed to pick up most of the zone blitzes in the Bama video).

I still don't see anything that makes me not want to buy the game. Looks like it's an improvement over '11. The question now is to see how much of an improvement it will be. It looks to me like there's still some progress to be made with the zones, but I like that the windows are a LOT smaller, which should at least reduce dramatically the margin of error that the offense has. I don't know that "shutdown" defense will be possible (particularly against good players that are able to make reads and throw the ball on time), but I think that it will at least be possible to get more stops this year than last, especially in long yardage situations.
      ram29jackson -
      Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
      You saw evidence that it was correct in that situation. Talking about a different situation is silly, in this instance. In this instance, you are wrong. We'll all get to check out your hypothetical situation at a later date.

Solved.
      i'm not talking about a different situation, I'm talking about how AI is programed to react in the entirety of a play. My evidence is past games. But of course we'll see haha, I just want the dang game too