• The Gaming Tailgate: NCAA Football 12 Preview

Last week, several members of The Gaming Tailgate attended a Community Event for NCAA Football 12. While more details of that will come very soon, continue below to read a write-up from Chris Jacobs (cdj) briefly talking about some of the things we saw. In addition, we plan to go into further details in a podcast but wanted to give you a sample of what to expect.

Presentation
    Presentation in the NCAA Football franchise has come a long ways in the last few years and continues with NCAA Football 12. As we have seen and heard already, community members with an eye for in-game screenshots will utilize HDR, 3D grass and crowds along with new player related items to make their shots even more memorable: dreadlocks, bowl patches, heavy fog, increased player equipment & gear options, and more.

With 120 FBS programs, there is the need and desire by the development team to help make each team and school details as accurate as possible. Coming to NCAA Football 12 are more authentic team entrances (Auburn, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas), along with updated uniforms (rest easy, Arizona State and Washington State fans), stadiums (Indiana), stadium signage (Oregon) and field art (Arizona State, East Carolina, Florida State, Ole Miss). The teams listed highlight just some of the changes coming to NCAA Football 12, they are not the full list.

Thanks to the help of the NCAA Football community, the development team was able to gather information quickly and efficiently for school Marching Band and cannon information. The best news? Both of them will be featured in NCAA Football 12! Bands are visible in the stands and both will be featured in cutscenes following big plays. Joining them in cutscenes will be coaches rallying their team – or maybe even jawing with officials.

The presentation of NCAA Football 12 also adds in GameTrack, montages, new between quarter highlight and score overlays, new stadium camera pans, special openings for BCS bowl games and some rivalry games, customizable Stadium Sounds situations for pregame (‘anticipation,’ ‘entrance,’ or both) and more. If you enjoyed the presentation in NCAA Football 11, you will be impressed by NCAA Football 12. As much as we’ve been able to disclose, there’s still significant new features yet to be announced.

Gameplay

NCAA Football 12 continues to build on gameplay, highlighted by the Enhanced tackling system and improved defensive zone coverage.

The Enhanced tackling system helps eliminate ‘suction’ from the game by no longer allowing players to engage in tackles or blocks until a collision begins actually takes place. Three-man gang tackles as well as double-hit tackles aid in the realism while a bevy of new tackle animations will let you see something new as you play the game.

The defense also receives a boost with improvements to zone coverage. Defenders will read receivers to help get their coverage responsibility, will carry them through zones, and will point to receivers as they leave their zone passing the assignment on. Man coverage also benefits as defenders will make moves based on what the receiver does – but they will no longer ‘mirror’ them.

Playbooks received a significant revamp with new authentic formations (such as TCU’s 4-2-5 Okie Across), nearly 150 new plays, as well as the standard yearly updates based on team changes. The playcall screen has received a slight makeover as users can now press the corresponding button to pick one of the three highlighted plays while moving left and right to select a different formation.

While the defense will have some teeth in NCAA Football 12, the offense can also boast of improvements. If you make the right read against improved defensive coverages, receivers can now catch the ball in stride and players can engage user controlled dive catches. As the dev team motion captured these new catches, they also added in new realistic animations for dropped passes. Improved ball and pylon physics also add to in-game realism.

This is just the start of NCAA Football 12. In the next few weeks and months we will hear about and be able to discuss all of the new features coming to the game on July 12.

As well, we have takes from other attendees representing The Gaming Tailgate:

As mentioned, stay tuned for more details about the game as well as the Community Events.

Comments 632 Comments
      JeffHCross -
      That's what NCAA 12 Info Central basically is, Kingpin. Look at the right side for practically every screenshot we've got.
      Kingpin32 -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      That's what NCAA 12 Info Central basically is, Kingpin. Look at the right side for practically every screenshot we've got.
      Wow, I had never clicked on that to notice it. I guess I've been spoiled by the forums.
      Tarhead10 -
      To all the guys that went to CD, what was your overall feel of how the team REALLY addresses concerns and how they relate to the experience of the game and the realism of saturday...I know you guys said that they are very attentive to comm request and all, but sometimes I get the feel from videos like the other night with Ben, that its more of a goofy experience than serious improvements or even pointing them out...Dont get me wrong I am not a hater and love what the team does from year to year, however I would appreciate more a video that breaks down improvements and points them out by showcasing certain corrections and gameplay advances...I think they should have someone else do videos from now on....Like I said I still love the improvements and the game, just a little change in showcasing would help...
      cdj -
      Tarhead10 - Overall, I think they are attentive and serious about the details. The IGN format makes it difficult to see that side of things as the guys from IGN don't follow or play the game nearly as in-depth as we do. Also, right now there are some big features that have not been announced that should alleviate some concern in regards to the team listening to community requests and focusing on details.

To get a better feel for what has been added or addressed, check out our NCAA Football 12 Information Central page. Sometimes it is easy to focus on the big announced items or what didn't get in and we forget what did receive focus from the devs.

Today's uStream Live Chat should be more formal and in-depth than the IGN LiveStream or 'On The Spot' program.
      Tarhead10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      Tarhead10 - Overall, I think they are attentive and serious about the details. The IGN format makes it difficult to see that side of things as the guys from IGN don't follow or play the game nearly as in-depth as we do. Also, right now there are some big features that have not been announced that should alleviate some concern in regards to the team listening to community requests and focusing on details.

To get a better feel for what has been added or addressed, check out our NCAA Football 12 Information Central page. Sometimes it is easy to focus on the big announced items or what didn't get in and we forget what did receive focus from the devs.

Today's uStream Live Chat should be more formal and in-depth than the IGN LiveStream or 'On The Spot' program.

Thanks for replying....I agree and I do check the information page out like every 30 seconds.. I wish they would let one of you guys play the game and do interviews like ign the other night... And like I said overall I always get this game at midnight and probably will always do so...
      MacDiiddy -
      I got a question is the QB sneak still "broken"

Of course I know exactly why they changed it from how it use to be 2-3 years ago, but its annoying that the QB Dives automatically instead of putting his head down and driving for those short yards.

I dont know anyone who runs QB sneak like the game portrays it.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by MacDiiddy View Post
      I got a question is the QB sneak still "broken"

Of course I know exactly why they changed it from how it use to be 2-3 years ago, but its annoying that the QB Dives automatically instead of putting his head down and driving for those short yards.

I dont know anyone who runs QB sneak like the game portrays it.
      QB Sneak will still do that if you're using it in goal line formation.
      JeffHCross -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tarhead10 View Post
      sometimes I get the feel from videos like the other night with Ben, that its more of a goofy experience than serious improvements or even pointing them out...
      I think that's more of a function of the IGN event than anything else. Greg Miller (the IGN host) is a generally goofy, energetic guy, and it seemed like Ben responded to that.

The team, overall, definitely takes it seriously. They take issues and problems with the game just as seriously as we (the fans) do, if not more.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      I think that's more of a function of the IGN event than anything else. Greg Miller (the IGN host) is a generally goofy, energetic guy, and it seemed like Ben responded to that.

The team, overall, definitely takes it seriously. They take issues and problems with the game just as seriously as we (the fans) do, if not more.
      I didn't go to the events, but just watching the videos and being a part of this since the inception of TGT, the devs are a serious group about both satisfying the gamer and reflecting real life in a way that pleases everybody. Like us, they want to put real players on the field and say "go at it realistically you droid", but obviously there are limitations.

As to the IGN cheesy fest. Greg is not football savvy, and you could tell that in his answer about the rolling out qb. And then he didn't understand why his qb was overthrowing and underthrowing everyone, even though it was obvious that it was because there are changes to the rolling out qb, which Ben mentioned. And then Ben laughed at his attempts. That was awesome. The snickering that you could see on Ben's face was classic. Anyways, it's always gonna be a little less serious when the trash talk is flying towards the developer when the guy is just putting the game in for the first time. And especially since I seriously doubt that Greg is much of a NCAA blogger.
      Jayrah -
      I am very interested in seeing how the 3D crowd looks when the stadium is not sold out. Did any of you cd guys get to see a stadium that was only mostly full, or does Play Now only have "sell outs"? If you did, was there much of a difference in the look? Now that the crowd reacts within the right atmosphere for its size, I want to know if the look matches the sound.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      I am very interested in seeing how the 3D crowd looks when the stadium is not sold out. Did any of you cd guys get to see a stadium that was only mostly full, or does Play Now only have "sell outs"? If you did, was there much of a difference in the look? Now that the crowd reacts within the right atmosphere for its size, I want to know if the look matches the sound.
      I'm pretty sure Play Now only has sell-outs. I didn't see an empty stadium in Dynasty games played at the event, but will look for it next week.
      MacDiiddy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      This seems awesome, the way to go is to pick people like USF (bucs), San Diego (charger), or Pitt (steelers), Miami (Dolphins), Tulane (saints), Temple (eagles) or Aloha Stadium (old pro bowl site), That will be fun having a massive fairly empty stadium, that grows into something comparable to the big house.