• Operation Sports: Bowl Patches Returning for NCAA Football 12


    According to an article on Operationsports.com, Bowl Patches will make their first appearance on this generation of consoles in NCAA Football 12.


    Thatís right NCAA Football fans, bowl patches will be making their triumphant return in NCAA Football 12.

    If you have read any of my articles concerning the NCAA Football series over the years, you know that I put a big emphasis on the little details in the game, especially details that were present in the years when the series was flourishing on the PS2 and Xbox in the early to mid 2000s. This small jersey presentation addition blew my mind when I first saw it in NCAA 2002, and it quickly became one of my favorite aspects of the series.

    The patches themselves gave each bowl game the feeling that you were participating in something much bigger than a regular season game. Plus, I'm one of those geeks who loves everything about the pageantry and tradition of college football, so seeing the patches in a video game representation of my favorite sport was nothing short of a dream come true.


    Click here to read the rest of the article and let us know what you think.
    Comments 25 Comments
    1. gschwendt's Avatar
      gschwendt -
      Another example image
    1. Solidice's Avatar
      Solidice -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Another example image
      love that you can see the grass getting torn up visually.
    1. gschwendt's Avatar
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Solidice View Post
      love that you can see the grass getting torn up visually.
      Along those same lines, if you notice in the Alabama/MSU picture, the grass fly-ups match the color of the logo. I see what appears to be blue & white up in the air. Very small but nice touch.
    1. ArkHogs's Avatar
      ArkHogs -
      Nice little detail, this is gonna be a good week
    1. souljahbill's Avatar
      souljahbill -
      I'll be honest, I didn't even realize that bowl patches weren't in the game until today.
    1. morsdraconis's Avatar
      morsdraconis -
      (shrugs) Not a big deal to me. It's so incredibly small it's going to be virtually unnoticed by quite a few people, and, truthfully, I don't even know where they are in either of those pictures.
    1. gschwendt's Avatar
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
      (shrugs) Not a big deal to me. It's so incredibly small it's going to be virtually unnoticed by quite a few people, and, truthfully, I don't even know where they are in either of those pictures.
      Yeah, just to temper reactions, this isn't expected to be any sort of "big" news for most. There still is a good bit of content planned for this week... this is just sort of kicking it off.

      As for seeing it, click on either image and it will open larger in a new window. The easiest would be on the Bama/MSU picture and look at the ball carrier's chest.
    1. Paakaa10's Avatar
      Paakaa10 -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      Along those same lines, if you notice in the Alabama/MSU picture, the grass fly-ups match the color of the logo. I see what appears to be blue & white up in the air. Very small but nice touch.
      Nice eyes, dude! Love that little attention to detail.
    1. SmoothPancakes's Avatar
      SmoothPancakes -
      Yes! I have wanted bowl patches back in the game for years now. Awesome news!
    1. RussellWilson's Avatar
      RussellWilson -
      Ive always missed the conference championship patches and bowl patches... leaves a unique detail in gameplay. #47 on the first picture, does that look like a mouth piece??
    1. MtneerManiac's Avatar
      MtneerManiac -
      Hmm, I appreciate details like this.
    1. CLW's Avatar
      CLW -
      Well the "dreads people" (as I like to call them) should be estatic now. I'm sure they will clammer for colored shoe laces or some other minor detail that noone with a life would notice and you cant see in the game (unless you are taking photos in a replay).

      Awaits to see what improvements/changes are made to the gameplay and dynasty mode.
    1. JBHuskers's Avatar
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Well the "dreads people" (as I like to call them) should be estatic now. I'm sure they will clammer for colored shoe laces or some other minor detail that noone with a life would notice and you cant see in the game (unless you are taking photos in a replay).

      Awaits to see what improvements/changes are made to the gameplay and dynasty mode.
      Yeah someone will nitpick enough so they can still talk negatively about something not being in. Colored shoe laces, you probably just gave them the idea
    1. Jayrah's Avatar
      Jayrah -
      Still havent seen regular old long hair.... I heard a tweet has come out about an ea blog coming out still today...
    1. gschwendt's Avatar
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      Still havent seen regular old long hair.... I heard a tweet has come out about an ea blog coming out still today...
      I assume they were referring to this one:
      http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...cer-Roy-Harvey

      I don't think anything else is planned for today... tomorrow the cover athlete is expected to be unveiled on ESPN First Take.
    1. Jayrah's Avatar
      Jayrah -
      Ah. Well fooie
    1. souljahbill's Avatar
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      I assume they were referring to this one:
      http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...cer-Roy-Harvey

      I don't think anything else is planned for today... tomorrow Mark Ingram is expected to be unveiled as the cover athlete on ESPN First Take.
      Fixed
    1. cdj's Avatar
      cdj -
      For reference sake, here's a pic of last year's Capital One Bowl between MSU and Bama. The patches match-up with their real-life location:



      For Florida State, it looks like they are going to have patches (bowl and conference championship game) appear on the right shoulder as they had them in last year's Chick-Fil-A Bowl (opposite what they had for the ACC CCG):



    1. cdj's Avatar
      cdj -
      Also, not sure how many other people mentioned it, but the MSU screenshot indicates the Spartans will have their correct uniforms in NCAA Football 12. (They were outdated in NCAA 11.)
    1. cdj's Avatar
      cdj -
      Based on Roy's Michigan-Texas screen, each team is wearing them based upon their previous real-life bowl patch position as well: