• Community Sound-Off: What do you think will be in NCAA Football 12?

It's quickly becoming that time of year as it should only be a matter of weeks until we get our first NCAA Football 12 info. (The first NCAA 11 blogs and screenshot were released in March of last year.) While we know what the community wants in the franchise, we want to know what you think will actually be in NCAA Football 12.

As a starting point, here are the top eight items from the 2010 NCAA Football Community Wish List Tournament: Custom Playbooks, Special Teams Overhaul, WR/DB Match-up, Improved CPU Playcalling, Coaching Carousel, Depth Chart Improvements, Improved Defensive Playbooks, and Improved Offensive Playbooks. Which features or aspects do you think will be in NCAA 12?

Keep in mind - this is not what you want in the franchise, but specifically what you think will be in NCAA Football 12. Will the game be feature-laden or will it consist of more under-the-hood changes? So far, our only NCAA 12 information (and vague, at that) came via the Madden NFL Developer Podcast when it was stated that the Central Gameplay Team for the two football titles would be working on improving the defense and eliminating suction blocking.
    Comments 63 Comments
      Rudy -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      Rudy, good list. However, it seems heavy on gameplay and light on features. Are you thinking this is going to be a "tinker" year (for lack of a better description)?

Also, regarding the stiff-arm, I found one animation where the tackler will be engaged and then if I hit stiff arm my guy will push him off. Haven't figured out rhyme or reason, I just know I've managed to do it a few times.
      I do think that this year is one of those refining years. Imo the game doesn't need monster new features. They HAVE added new lighting and dreadlocks but the real improvements will come from within like improving playbooks, AI, the spread, etc. I think NCAA 11 made a big leap from NCAA 10. I don't know if NCAA 12 can make the same leap. How often do you see big leaps two years in a row from a sports game? I just think the odds of seeing any big new features or monster improvements are against NCAA. Madden 10 was considered a big jump forward while Madden 11 was viewed by some as just a smaller evolutionary jump forward. And when I see the dev team asking for help about cheerleader chants and cannon locations, those don't seem to be big items added. Gives me the "windsock of NCAA 10" feelings all over again and I haven't been more disappointed in a game than NCAA 10 in a long time.

My list is a critical look at the game and I do tend to be overly critical. It's always easier to spot things you don't like than talk about the things you do. I recognize I can be too critical but that's just me. I had a lot of fun with NCAA 11. There are a number of improvements in small areas that could make the game better but the #1 improvement to the game is the cpu AI. Tons of guys like to play online because they like the challenge of playing another human. EA needs to improve the cpu to where I think I'm playing a decent human rather than your dumb little brother. I know football has this the hardest due to the varying offenses and having 22 players on the field all having to work together but it's still a crucial area.

Marketing guys will always want a feature to sell on the back of the box. I don't know what that will be this year.
      MtneerManiac -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      You must not have played 11...

Not sure what you saw last season that you thought was totally casual-gamer based or appealing.
      The average of 6+ seconds in the pocket to pass almost every passing play? How about the horribly overpowered (the fact that its even in the game is bad enough) commit feature? How about the ability to run back and forth with a scrambling QB and throw perfect bombs downfield?

NCAA 11 was a step up, but the NCAA series is still not geared towards anything but casual gamers.
      Rudy -
      I think the one thing that I didn't list was a true physics based system. I don't know if we'll see that this generation.

I would love to see a more varied DL system and a system where you can truly speed rush the corner with a DE. If an OT gets slight contact I would still like to see the DE get upfield fast and either get the sack or let the OT push him past the QB. The current system is still way too dependent on having the two players make contact, stop moving as they engage each other and then have a win/loss system where the DL breaks into the backfield if he wins.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by MtneerManiac View Post
      The average of 6+ seconds in the pocket to pass almost every passing play?
      6+ seconds average? Stop playing on Varsity.
      Jayrah -
      The average of 6+ seconds in the pocket to pass almost every passing play? How about the horribly overpowered (the fact that its even in the game is bad enough) commit feature? How about the ability to run back and forth with a scrambling QB and throw perfect bombs downfield?

NCAA 11 was a step up, but the NCAA series is still not geared towards anything but casual gamers.
      Sliders has cured all of those for me (save for commit, which I don't use). The pocket needs to collapse more but I rarely get or use close to 6 seconds to make a decision. And the "sliders are broken" argument is bogus. They do work in combination with opposite sliders. AKA run block vs run defense. I think they should have a little more effect, but they work. The game is a base casual game... It has to be, it always will be. Sliders are geared toward allowing those that want a more realistic experience to get one to their liking.
      MtneerManiac -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      6+ seconds average? Stop playing on Varsity.
      It's definitely the case in ranked online matches.
      steelerfan -
      It's definitely the case in ranked online matches.
      Well, I've only played one lobby game, it's not my thing. Other than that, it's all online and offline dynasties.
      JeffHCross -
      (the fact that its even in the game is bad enough)
      There is nothing wrong with the concept of Commit. Poor execution, maybe. But conceptually, it's realistic. And I'll give you overpowered (though not even close to as much as with NCAA 10).
      ram29jackson -

did you see my Penn State run commit vids ? haha

yep, 5 guys doing a silver surfer impression is pretty stupid IIMMOO
      baseballplyrmvp -
      anyone think the new rules that were approved today, will be in the game?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/s...e=NCFHeadlines
      Jayrah -
      The only penalty there that would effect the video game.... 10 second runoff.... Prolly not.
      Rudy -
      I don't like the taunting rule at all in terms of removing the actual score. Let's not make it the No Fun League.
      Jayrah -
      Talking College Football Rudy.... Not nfl.

And their not removing anything. Spot foul for taunting in the field of play. Once you're in the endzone its gonna count the way it has in the past, with 15 on xp or kickoff.

I like the rule. I hope its called correctly. Raising the ball and pointing at the crowd should not be taunting, as long as its your crowd you point at. Also the salute should be the same way imo. They allow the army/navy schools to do it. All schools should be allowed.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Yes. I usually use it on the edges against a DB. Press the button a couple steps before you engage the defender. Go to practice, run some tosses and try it when you get a defender on the edge coming at you from the side or at an angle. You'll get it down quickly once you nail it the first time.
      In Powerhouse OD I moved my FB to HB this season and he is such a brute that I don't even try to juke or spin with him I just truck db's and stiff arm. The point you made about using it in advance ad anticipating the contact before hand is key. You don't shrug everytime either but it is a great way to gain more YAC yards.
      psusnoop -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      There is nothing wrong with the concept of Commit. Poor execution, maybe. But conceptually, it's realistic. And I'll give you overpowered (though not even close to as much as with NCAA 10).
      Jeff we gave discussed the commit feature at times already but I couldn't agree more with what you said. I think the idea is there just gotta tweak the implementation of it. I find that I use it sparingly mostly around the goalline. I also use the pass commit on plays where I think the pass is coming. It is in my opinion leaps and bounds better in 11 then it was in 10.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
      I find that I use it sparingly mostly around the goalline. I also use the pass commit on plays where I think the pass is coming. It is in my opinion leaps and bounds better in 11 then it was in 10.
      This.
      morsdraconis -
      And I think the pass commit feature is the most overpowered thing I've ever seen (almost as bad as setting the gameplan feature to jump the snap all the time). The ability it gives DBs to jump 10 feet in the air and intercept the ball with one hand is the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen and it really isn't detrimental to stopping the run at all unless you're playing zone (where the LBs forget they're even playing defense when you pass commit in zone and they run the ball instead - I've literally seen LBs just stand there to get blocked by the FB instead of even making a move toward the ball carrier).

I HATE the commit features. They're so unrealistic, they're ridiculous. There's seriously no reason for them to be in the game. You don't need to run commit. That's what blitzing is for (hence the term - run blitz). No one tells their entire team "I want everyone to flow to the left on this next play, no matter what direction the ball is actually going." or "Don't play to the best of your ability at trying to stop the pass unless I tell ya to."
      ram29jackson -
      seriously , dont waste my time with bands and cannons. Sure, you want atmosphere, but thats the stuff you skip through after seeing it 3 times.

...ya know...I was just in teambuilder and Akrons stadium isnt available...? wasnt it there before ?
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
      seriously , dont waste my time with bands and cannons. Sure, you want atmosphere, but thats the stuff you skip through after seeing it 3 times.

...ya know...I was just in teambuilder and Akrons stadium isnt available...? wasnt it there before ?
      IIRC, Akron's new stadium wasn't ready for 11 and it was requested that EA use a generic instead of the old stadium. IIRC, they said, with certainty, last year that Akron's new stadium will be in 12.
      psusnoop -
      Mors, for me I like the run commit down around the goalline. I know you can pick a nice blitz package but telling your front 7 to pressure the middle, or outsides is something that teams do IRL. Know I do know hat you mean if someone uses this on their 37yd line and think it is middle only to see it get outside for 7 because you lost containment with the commit. Hence why I said it isn't great but the idea is there if they could get the implementation done correctly.

The pass commit for me makes me think my DB'S are keying in on the pass instead of looking in the backfield, kinds like my CB looking at the QB to read his eyes prior to the throw. Now should I have to tell him that before the snap? Not sure I think u mentioned before that ratings could have a deeper impact on this and that might work but I don't think he feature is worthless either. Just think 3rd and goal from the 1, u know your friend loves to run PA here so u bring pressure but tell your coverage to stay on their man with the pass commit.