• NCAA Football 11 - Dynasty Blog 2 of 3: Prospects

The second of three NCAA Football 11 Dynasty blogs discusses Prospects within Recruiting.

Russ Kiniry (NCAA Football 11 Designer) back again and as promised, here is part 2 of the Dynasty Blogs for NCAA Football 11; you can check out the first one about our new Phone Call here. But before we get into the details of the second blog, I'd like to mention one more thing about the New Phone Call that can help you in a call. We were going to reveal this later but there have been a lot of good discussions at various community sites and we want to ensure everyone has all the new information for our new Phone Calls.

During a call, when you are between topics, there is a chance you can earn what we call a Coaches Choice. This gives you the option to select the next topic and leverage your program's strengths.

The only catch is, you don't have control about when it appears. For smaller schools, this and the ability to change topics can be life savers during a call. As you really dive into the new Phone Call, you'll be able to see how all these elements tie together and make you think a little about how you'll react. Now let's get on with the rest of the blog...

For the rest of this blog we are going to go over some of the new things we've done with the Prospects in Dynasty Mode. As you all know, the further you get in future years of Dynasty Mode the more the new Prospects coming into your game matter, so we had to ensure we did a better job this year in creating and ranking these Prospects.

As you many of you have already guessed, there is a new ratings spread in NCAA Football 11. You'll no longer see dozens of players at 99 OVR in this year's game when looking at the rosters we ship with. Hence, we had to ensure the new Prospects created in Dynasty Mode matched the new philosophy. The Prospects have been re-created... every single one of them. The reason being is we wanted to ensure that all positions in the game had its share of elite players, multiple types of players, and an even spread from top to bottom.

What classifies as an elite Prospect has changed from previous years with the new ratings spread. As you can imagine, you'll no longer see true freshman come into the game rated in the 90's OVR or even high 80's OVR. Only the top Prospects at any position this year will come in over an 80 OVR and depending on your school, he may or may not be able to start instantly.

We tried to create each Prospect in a similar mold to players that play at each position each Saturday and built themes for each position. For example, you can scout defensive ends that specialize in a speed pass rush or a strength based run stopper.

New to the game this year is the ESPNU 150; which replaces the old Top 100 we had in previous versions of NCAA Football. Each of the top 150 Prospects in the nation will be tagged as one of the ESPNU 150 and you'll be able to see that next to their portrait:

After the Prospects were created and the ESPNU 150 list was filled out, we took a look at how each Prospect was ranked against each other. In years past the Prospects were always ranked by overall; meaning the "best" player was always ranked at the top of the list. Because of this, we had to have kickers, punters, and fullbacks overall ratings lowered to ensure they rarely showed up in the Top 100. To improve the fidelity of this list we've included position into the ranking formula.

This change sounds pretty simple, but it has a big impact. We can now weigh a position to be more or less valuable in the rankings formula. For example, last year's list would take an 80 OVR QB vs. an 81 OVR Kicker and rate the kicker higher. In this year's game we are able to keep the Kickers rating at an 81 overall, but his ranking will not even crack the ESPNU 150 because his position isn't as valued. Together, this change and the new ratings spread improved the Prospect rankings in the ESPNU 150; and we were still basing the list on overall within each position.

Using an arbitrary number to adjust the rankings really seemed like a poor way of going about things, so we took a rating that isn't visible to help solve the problem: potential. What we did for some of the Prospects is change both their overall rank and position rank based on the potential they have. This doesn't mean that you'll now see a 40 OVR player as a 5 star... but it does mean you might see a Prospect who is technically a few points lower in OVR rated above another Prospect. So, why did we use Potential?

This is a rating all Prospects (and players) in our game have, and it matters equally for everyone when it comes to player progression. We took another look at player progression this year and really pushed Potential to be the major force in driving how much better players on your team get. This choice came from gathering lots of feedback from you guys in the community from the forums and the Live Chat we had on the subject a while back. Basically, potential felt like the best equalizer to measure a players worth in conjunction with his overall rating. The balancing factor to keep this more realistic is not every player uses his potential rating to determine his value, so there is still some surprise when you get any Prospect on your roster.

Once we got the Prospects created and ranked, we moved onto JUCO's next. These Prospects were really easy to deal with after all the work done above. We simply raised the attributes of every JUCO a few points more than they would have been with the new ratings spread and made the value of a JUCO lower in the rankings. So here is a likely scenario for 4 different Prospects you'll see once you have the game:

Player A - True Freshman QB, 70 Overall rating, 90 Potential rating
    Player B - JUCO Junior HB, 75 Overall rating, 75 Potential rating
    Player C - True Freshman HB, 73 Overall rating, 50 Potential rating
    Player D - True Freshman QB, 71 Overall rating, 70 Potential rating

On average with the 4 players above would end up being ranked like this in NCAA Football 11:
    1. Player A
    2. Player D
    3. Player C
    4. Player B
    In previous years, only overall would have mattered.

When you add up all the changes to Prospects and the new Phone Call we've already made some significant changes to Dynasty Mode in NCAA Football 11. But honestly that wasn't enough (and well this is only Blog 2 of 3), so there is still more. What's great is Blog 3 will address some of the comments about the first blog: both about Kent State being in the Top 10 of our 5 Star Fullback (in the last blog's screen shots) and the points showing up in the Top Schools menu. We will take a look at the logic behind signing a Recruit and how the CPU will do it.

Once again thanks for reading, and keep checking back here for the next blog about Dynasty Mode.

-Russ Kiniry
    Designer NCAA Football
    Comments 75 Comments
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Potential is part of the rankings but not for every player. Therefore, one player could be a 75 as a Freshman and an 85 as a Senior while another could be a 70 as a Freshman and a 90 as a Senior. Depending on whether or not Potential is calculated for those two players, either one could be ranked higher.
      Rudy, read this ^^^ and read the blog again. I'm certain they're trying to say that potential will sometimes cause a lower rated player to be ranked higher in the ESPN 150 but potential will not always be factored in which will also allow for hidden gems and busts. I'm not positive, but I don't think you'll see potential ratings until the player is on your roster (if ever).
      Jayrah -
      Rudy, read this ^^^ and read the blog again. I'm certain they're trying to say that potential will sometimes cause a lower rated player to be ranked higher in the ESPN 150 but potential will not always be factored in which will also allow for hidden gems and busts. I'm not positive, but I don't think you'll see potential ratings until the player is on your roster (if ever).
      Exactly right Steeler. That's what I saw. Plus Rudy, the potential is there as a "hidden" rating. We won't see it. We can only guess based on a lower rated player being higher on the recruiting board 150. The use of that hidden potential is randomly used and unused per player. Could be a 5* bust or a 3* All American. So the best thing to do is look at need and ratings based on how YOU run your system this year. Star power will help, but won't always pan out to be that super steal you thought you were getting. I think we may get a better understanding on that as they round out blog 3.
      Rudy -
      I like the sound of that much better guys. Looks good.
      Lava -
      Can any of the CD guys comment on the extent that the ratings have been stretched to? Is it similar to Madden? More? Less?

I'm just wondering if there will actually be a tangible difference between bad, good, and great players this year. Thanks in advance.
      gschwendt -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lava View Post
      Can any of the CD guys comment on the extent that the ratings have been stretched to? Is it similar to Madden? More? Less?

I'm just wondering if there will actually be a tangible difference between bad, good, and great players this year. Thanks in advance.
      The rosters were still a work in progress while we were at CD but from the comments they made, it sounded like they would be stretched similar to Madden. I'm not sure if they will be THAT drastic or not but maybe JB & cdj saw more when they returned for the draft event.
      Lava -
      Nice. Thanks gschwendt, hopefully JB or cjd can elaborate a bit more.
      JBHuskers -
      Nice. Thanks gschwendt, hopefully JB or cjd can elaborate a bit more.
      The video that was released in a Madden blog definitely gives you a good indication that the ratings will give a good mixture of the overall player. http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.a...gId=locomotion the 90 vs. 99 race video.

What we saw at the community day was 50 SPD 50 ACC vs. 100 SPD 50 ACC vs. 50 SPD 100 ACC .... that video we saw definitely can show you the difference between a bad and a good player. And that was just talking in terms of speed and acceleration. Locomotion help a great deal in this.
      cdj -

Even in April, the build didn't like us looking at the depth charts too much, but in the little we were able to, it seemed like ratings were spread out. Though, we were only able to look at a handful of teams/positions before it would freeze, so keep that in mind.

Playing with teams, you do feel a difference between a Nebraska (Top 10) and a Minnesota (maybe a Top 40 team).
      Lava -
      Yeah, it makes sense that Nebraska would feel much different than Minnesota when the skill gap is amplified throughout nearly the entire roster.

I was wondering more along the lines of if you could feel a real difference between individual players; like, for Nebraska, would you notice a difference immediately between say Zac Lee and LaTravis Washington? Granted, Lee wasn't too impressive last year, but you get my drift. I just want it to be similar to Madden in that if your starting QB, HB, w/e gets hurt that you actually notice a real difference and there is a need to adjust your gameplan when you are forced to play with your backup.
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah, it makes sense that Nebraska would feel much different than Minnesota when the skill gap is amplified throughout nearly the entire roster.

I was wondering more along the lines of if you could feel a real difference between individual players; like, for Nebraska, would you notice a difference immediately between say Zac Lee and LaTravis Washington? Granted, Lee wasn't too impressive last year, but you get my drift. I just want it to be similar to Madden in that if your starting QB, HB, w/e gets hurt that you actually notice a real difference and there is a need to adjust your gameplan when you are forced to play with your backup.
      Don't forget that Taylor Martinez is the greatest football player ever in college football
      Lava -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Don't forget that Taylor Martinez is the greatest football player ever in college football
      Haha, I hope we find out that is a fact this season.
      JBHuskers -
      I love that running joke on Unsportsmanlike Conduct (not sure if you listen to that on 1620 ESPN Radio in Omaha) .... I love that show.

These changes are definitely going to make for an interesting go at it within the dyansty. Especially online dynasties when you're trying to find that hidden gem, or the JUCO to put you over the top for the near future.
      cdj -
      I noticed it most with RBs. You could really tell who had the higher break tackle ratings as they'd be tough to bring down one-on-one or on the first attempt.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      I noticed it most with RBs. You could really tell who had the higher break tackle ratings as they'd be tough to bring down one-on-one or on the first attempt.
      Speaking of RB's, was there any kind of penalizing factor for taking the ball on a run and immediately sprinting? Like taking an extra false step to get up to speed.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      Speaking of RB's, was there any kind of penalizing factor for taking the ball on a run and immediately sprinting? Like taking an extra false step to get up to speed.
      Not sure if there is a penalizing factor, but you're not going to be following the blocks, so you won't be as successful compared to being patient.
      Deuce -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Not sure if there is a penalizing factor, but you're not going to be following the blocks, so you won't be as successful compared to being patient.
      I really hope that 11 forces me to break that habit.

I can't wait to get a feel for the RS moves. If you gently push the stick does the RB slightly shift and if its a hard push does the RB juke? (rhetorical) Doing 'shimmy' moves and setting up moves on defensive players will hopefully be a lot of fun.
      jaymo76 -
      I just hope that this year if I bring say Idaho to play at Ohio St that I am dominated every play... skill needs to be prevelant this year...the game needs that realistic feel.
      Deuce -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      I just hope that this year if I bring say Idaho to play at Ohio St that I am dominated every play... skill needs to be prevelant this year...the game needs that realistic feel.
      Ya, me too. I remember on 2004 playing a cupcake against an A+ team and getting blown out. I think I went 6-6 or 5-7 the first season.

Has anyone ever got fired in a dynasty? I think I've only had one losing season in all my time of playing college football. Hopefully this year I'll have a few more.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
      Ya, me too. I remember on 2004 playing a cupcake against an A+ team and getting blown out. I think I went 6-6 or 5-7 the first season.

Has anyone ever got fired in a dynasty? I think I've only had one losing season in all my time of playing college football. Hopefully this year I'll have a few more.
      I've never been fired and never had a losing season. I'd love to have a losing season (went 6-6 with Buffalo once). I wish I could have one several seasons in and not just the first season. I'd like to coach at say - Northwestern or Vandy and struggle in conference. Just having some ups and downs and feeling it when I have a 'Meh' recruiting class.

Hopefully 11 will at least make us have some bad recruiting classes even if it doesn't equal losses.
      JBHuskers -
      I've never been fired and never had a losing season. I'd love to have a losing season (went 6-6 with Buffalo once). I wish I could have one several seasons in and not just the first season. I'd like to coach at say - Northwestern or Vandy and struggle in conference. Just having some ups and downs and feeling it when I have a 'Meh' recruiting class.

Hopefully 11 will at least make us have some bad recruiting classes even if it doesn't equal losses.
      Totally agree with you here bro.