Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 4 - Questions & General Comments on Console

• Facebook
  • Display

My PS4 was in stand-by mode and on Friday the power flickered here, basically shutting the system off.

When I went to turn it back on, I had to press the Power button three times to get it to restart. Each of the pushes caused the system to beep, but it didn't do anything until the third try.

Upon start-up I did get the "your system was not shut down properly, do not unplug system in stand-by as it could cause damage or corruption" message. The system appears to be fine, but I am paranoid about leaving it in stand-by again. Perhaps only for an hour or so before I know I will be playing so it can download any existing game or system updates.

I know we're all paranoid, but in theory, you should be fine leaving it in stand by. It's really nothing different if the power goes off than just turning the system off. I think the warnings are mainly for downloading something that might get corrupted if it's turned off while in stand by. However, like you, I don't intend on leaving it in stand by simply because I don't want a brick.

Yeah, the stand-by modes of the PS4 and Xbox One are nice, but no way in hell do I trust the stability of the power grid in this area. I'll be forever keeping my systems on normal, full shutdown mode instead of Stand-by, just too much risk and too much reliance on a power grid that I don't trust one damn bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, the stand-by modes of the PS4 and Xbox One are nice, but no way in hell do I trust the stability of the power grid in this area. I'll be forever keeping my systems on normal, full shutdown mode instead of Stand-by, just too much risk and too much reliance on a power grid that I don't trust one damn bit.
    Xbox One is tricky with how it does it. Unless you're holding the power button on the console in for five seconds to shut it off, it's going into standby mode.

I always shut it off with the controller or voice command and that always puts it in to standby mode.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Xbox One is tricky with how it does it. Unless you're holding the power button on the console in for five seconds to shut it off, it's going into standby mode.

I always shut it off with the controller or voice command and that always puts it in to standby mode.
    Is it set to power down into Stand-by in your settings? I have it set in my settings to power down in Energy Saving mode. When I shut it down, I can't use the Xbox On command and when I start it up, it takes a good 20-30 seconds for it to fire up and the dashboard to come up.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Is it set to power down into Stand-by in your settings? I have it set in my settings to power down in Energy Saving mode. When I shut it down, I can't use the Xbox On command and when I start it up, it takes a good 20-30 seconds for it to fire up and the dashboard to come up.
    I didn't know you could do that. Not being able to use the voice command would be a deal breaker for me, though...I'm way to reliant on that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I hope this includes support for Sony wireless headsets.

I think what I'll do is just turn on the PS4 while I play an OD or NHL league game on the PS3 and let it do it's thing then. I'm still not convinced to put it on stand by.
    The dude abides.

I honestly haven't had any problems with leaving my system in stand-by. *knock on wood* I often leave it on stand by when I go to sleep to charge my controller. Also, if you try to turn the power off by pushing the power button on the system, it sends it into stand-by automatically.

Maybe once they add scheduled times to the system update like they had on PS3, then I'll set it up like that.
    The dude abides.

The facts say that the PS4 is unquestionably ahead at this moment – the question is how far ahead.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...s4-or-xbox-one

Score another one for CLW over IOU.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    The facts say that the PS4 is unquestionably ahead at this moment – the question is how far ahead.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...s4-or-xbox-one

Score another one for CLW over IOU.
    Except for the fact that (and I do believe I'm giving an exact quote here) that I said the PS4 WOULD outsell the Xbox One at launch due to supply issues and the fact it's $100 cheaper. So...how is that scoring another one for you when I agreed the PS4 would outsell the One at launch.

Personally, I'm excited both are doing well. All this doom and gloom about consoles dying should take a nice long break until the next generation console launches.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Except for the fact that (and I do believe I'm giving an exact quote here) that I said the PS4 WOULD outsell the Xbox One at launch due to supply issues and the fact it's $100 cheaper. So...how is that scoring another one for you when I agreed the PS4 would outsell the One at launch.

Personally, I'm excited both are doing well. All this doom and gloom about consoles dying should take a nice long break until the next generation console launches.
    Now we just needs some RPG's. Waiting six months for Elder Scrolls Online is going to be a long wait.
    The dude abides.

In stock at Amazon is anyone still wants one.

Sony Promises 'Epic' Announcements, 'Can't Wait for E3'

Some "stuff still under wraps," Sony says.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...nt-wait-for-e3

Hopefully some more games . Finished AC4, had thoughts of going for platinum but three trophies glitched and did not pop. Sooooo, no thanks to the online grind. I really wanted to like Killzone but gave up . Traded both in at Gamestop for $40 each. Not bad after paying that for them during Target's sale. Still have 2k14 and most likely will keep for the cycle or two.

Picked up Bioshock Infinite for $15 for something else to play.

And they call me a tease. Call me in June for this (and release DriveClub ASAP while you're at it!).
    The dude abides.