Page 38 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    See? MNC is within reach. Another bout of losses by teams ahead of you and you're easily within the top 10, looking like a shoe-in for a BCS bowl and an outside chance at the MNC appearance.

I've said this before and I'll say it again; reading these REALLY makes me want to play some football (watching NFL Films' A Football Life series has certainly added to it as well). Without a Xbox though (gave my old one to my brother since I never used it anymore), I can't, which is probably a good thing cause I'd be tempted like hell to buy NCAA '13 and I have FAR better things to spend my money on at the moment.

Guess I'll just have to settle for more A Football Life episodes instead.
    Well, I've still got a long road. Still have to play Rice, UTSA and UTEP, plus it's looking like a guaranteed rematch in the C-USA Championship Game (if I hold on and make it there) against either Southern Miss or Florida International. So still a long road, which guaranteed movement around me as top 5, top 10 and top 15 teams play each other in conference battles. So I'm not counting my chickens yet.

Yeah, I seem to be getting pretty good at that, keeping you interested and wanting to play NCAA. 13 definitely has it's share of shortfalls, but I'm been managing pretty well and having fun with the game. if NCAA '14 ends up bombing and sucking it up, I think I'd be fine with keeping going on NCAA '13 if that decision had to be made.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, I seem to be getting pretty good at that, keeping you interested and wanting to play NCAA. 13 definitely has it's share of shortfalls, but I'm been managing pretty well and having fun with the game. if NCAA '14 ends up bombing and sucking it up, I think I'd be fine with keeping going on NCAA '13 if that decision had to be made.
    What can I say? I'm a sucker for football and your reports make it sound SO much more fun than it actually is. Of course, being the OC instead of taking over both sides of the ball certainly makes it a bit better.

When it comes down to it, I hate playing defense against the CPU because I end up having to do silly defenses against it (Dime Man Cover 2 with bump and run pretty much ALL THE TIME) to prevent it from going batshit crazy on me. It becomes REALLY boring, especially since it basically doesn't matter how bad my team is defensively, it still freakin' works (I've had 15+ sacks with DEs with 60 speed and LBs with 70 speed; it's ridiculous how easy it is to get sacks against the CPU).

So, I end up blowing out pretty much every CPU team I play against because it's just too damn easy on both sides of the ball no matter what sliders I use. Unless, of course, I make it where the CPU basically cheats by never being fooled by PA, having offensive linemen block like all-pro NFL players ALL the time, having all CPU running backs act like playing against Jim Brown and Bo Jackson's illegitimate love child, and constantly playing against Peyton Manning at QB. Which, of course, makes me cheese the CPU that much more because that's what you have to do against higher difficulty sliders instead of playing the game legitimately and having fun with it.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for football and your reports make it sound SO much more fun than it actually is. Of course, being the OC instead of taking over both sides of the ball certainly makes it a bit better.

When it comes down to it, I hate playing defense against the CPU because I end up having to do silly defenses against it (Dime Man Cover 2 with bump and run pretty much ALL THE TIME) to prevent it from going batshit crazy on me. It becomes REALLY boring, especially since it basically doesn't matter how bad my team is defensively, it still freakin' works (I've had 15+ sacks with DEs with 60 speed and LBs with 70 speed; it's ridiculous how easy it is to get sacks against the CPU).

So, I end up blowing out pretty much every CPU team I play against because it's just too damn easy on both sides of the ball no matter what sliders I use. Unless, of course, I make it where the CPU basically cheats by never being fooled by PA, having offensive linemen block like all-pro NFL players ALL the time, having all CPU running backs act like playing against Jim Brown and Bo Jackson's illegitimate love child, and constantly playing against Peyton Manning at QB. Which, of course, makes me cheese the CPU that much more because that's what you have to do against higher difficulty sliders instead of playing the game legitimately and having fun with it.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I eventually become a head coach. I'm the same, I can usually shut down a team when calling the plays and running the defense. I might either just continue super simming the defensive plays or maybe rotate off and on, playing defense one quarter then super simming it the next quarter and so on. But I'll have plenty of time to think about it. I'm planning on re-upping with Tulsa when my contract expires after this season. Figuring on either a two or three year deal, it'll be 2017 or 2018 before I'll even need to consider what I'm gonna do.

Time for another look around the nation. Starting in the Top 25, in the game of the week, it was #3 Auburn prevailing 37-35 over #2 LSU, the purple and gold Tigers scoring with 1:22 left to cut Auburn's lead to two, but the failed onside kick would clinch the win for Auburn. 5-3 Oregon State got the biggest upset this week, knocking off #4 USC 14-6 to knock the Trojans from the ranks of the unbeaten. #13 Michigan got back on the winning track, knocking off #6 Nebraska 38-33.

Louisville put up a fight, only trailing 28-21 at halftime, but #9 Alabama would pull away in the second half to win 52-21. #14 Notre Dame held on to beat Stanford, 31-28, with a field goal with 6 seconds left. 3-4 Kansas State knocked off #18 Texas 38-19. South Carolina improved to 5-3, knocking off #21 Tennessee 24-17. Baylor got their first win of the season, knocking off #22 Texas Tech 41-13 and 3-5 Boston College scored a 31-27 upset of #23 Virginia Tech.

For our readers, souljahbill,Southern Miss wins two in a row, beating UTSA 27-22 to improve to 4-4 (3-1 in C-USA). Jaymo, Arizona State picks up a 28-25 win at Utah, improving to 4-4 (2-3 Pac-12). Mors, West Virginia was on a bye week this week, remaining at 3-5 (1-4 Big 12). Other teams of interest, Arkansas State loses their fourth game in a row, falling to BYU 24-21 to drop to 3-4 (0-3 Sun Belt).

On a C-USA note, UTEP stays right on my ass, beating MTSU 44-10 to improve to 6-2 (4-0). And trying to keep up with Southern Miss, FIU beats UAB 24-14 to improve to 6-3 (3-2).

Looking at undefeated teams left, with #2 LSU and #4 USC losing this week, that drops our number of undefeated teams left to 4. #1 Georgia (8-0), #3 Auburn (8-0), #5 Texas A&M (9-0) and #7 Washington (8-0) are all that's left with an unblemished record at the end of week 8. Of the 4 undefeated teams remaining, the SEC accounts for 3 of them.

Turning to a more sadistic watch, who is still winless. There remains 3 teams still looking for their first win: Memphis (0-9), UMass (0-8) and Washington State (0-8).

Teams getting their first wins this week were: Baylor (41-13 over #22 Texas Tech) and New Mexico State (41-0 over FCS East).

Elsewhere, on a note of epic suck, Memphis loses to San Diego State this week, 38-17, dropping Memphis to 0-9 on the season, and 0-21 total over the last season and a half.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 polls, starting in the Coaches Poll, thanks to their win over previously #2 LSU, Auburn (34 first place votes) leaps up two spaces to #1. Georgia (26 votes) drops a slot to #2. Texas A&M (1 vote) climbs two to 33. Washington rises three to #4 and LSU drops three to #5. Oklahoma climbed two to #6, Alabama and Michigan State both also climbed two to #7 and #8. Michigan jumped four to #9. Tulsa climbed one to #10. TCU climbed one to #11, Nebraska fell six to #12, Notre Dame, Clemson and Wake Forest all climbed one to #13, #14 and #15. USC plummeted twelve spots to #16, Fresno State stayed in place at #17. Houston and Wisconsin both climbed one to #18 and #19. Georgia Tech and Miami both jumped four to #20 and #21. Texas fell four to #22. And three new teams entered the poll this week, Iowa at #23, UCLA at #24 and Kansas State at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Tennessee (from #21), Texas Tech (from #22) and Virginia Tech (from #23). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, UTEP (120 votes) leads the way at #26, followed by Wyoming (104), North Carolina (59), Nevada (55) and Northwestern (51) to round out the top 30. FIU is ranked #31 with 49 votes.

In the Media Poll, Auburn (41 first place votes) jumps two spots to become the new #1. Georgia (23 votes) falls one to #2. Texas A&M (1 vote) climbs one to #3. Washington jumps four to #4 and LSU falls three to #5. Oklahoma moved up one to #6, Michigan leaped seven to #7, Alabama rose one to #8, Michigan State climbed one to #9. Tulsa moved up one to #10. TCU climbed two to #11, Nebraska fell six to #12, Wake Forest and Notre Dame both moved up two to #13 and #14. USC fell ten to #15, Clemson and Fresno State both climbed one to #16 and #17. Houston and Wisconsin both jumped two spots to #18 and #19. Texas fell eight ranks to #20, Georgia Tech moves up three to #21 and UCLA climbs three to #22. Miami enters the poll at #23, Iowa is new to the poll at #24 and Kansas State climbs into the poll this week at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Tennessee (from #21), Texas Tech (from #22) and Virginia Tech (from #23). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Wyoming (174 votes) is #26, followed by FIU (132), North Carolina (124), Nevada (112) and UTEP (93) to round out the top 30.

Looking at the new BCS standings, Auburn is #1, Georgia #2, Texas A&M #3, Washington #4 and LSU #5. Oklahoma sits #6, Michigan #7, Michigan State #8, Alabama #9 and Tulsa #10.

Other notes for the week, despite 188 yards rushing, Kiel Fletcher falls to third on the Heisman Watch list, QB David Williams from Texas A&M jumping him for the #2 slot.

Well, at least you're on your way up instead of moving down like before. Hopefully a few of those undefeated SEC teams fall in the coming weeks.

Well, at least you're on your way up instead of moving down like before. Hopefully a few of those undefeated SEC teams fall in the coming weeks.
    We'll end up finding out. I'm firing up Rice right now, hoping to get through Rice and UTSA at a minimum today, if not also getting UTEP in before calling it a night.

Holy shit. That #9 ranked passing defense that Rice has isn't a lie. At halftime of the Rice game, I have a whopping 93 yards passing, despite going 8 for 11 in passing attempts.

Add in 75 yards rushing to give me 168 yards of total offense at halftime. Rice has 148 yards total offense.

Game Ten

Game Notes

--- Heading into our final three games of the season, it was time to take on the Rice Owls in the Battle for the Williams Trophy. Rice was a middling team, sitting 4-4 on the year and 2-2 in C-USA action, but despite looking like a run of the mill team, Rice had a secret, coming in sporting the #9 passing defense in the nation. We were going to find out today just how good our passing game really was going up against a top 10 passing defense. It was gonna be a wet one, as the rain poured down from the night sky. We won the coin toss and elected to kick.

No return on the opening kickoff and Rice was set to begin their opening drive from their 25. A four yard rush by Andrew Montgomery set the Owls up for the pass, as Lamar Evans hit Jon Dean for a 17 yard gain and a first down at the 46. After a 13 yard pass to Issac Hart to get to our 41, it was a huge gain for the Owls, as a 15 yard penalty on the tackle following a 6 yard rush gave the Rice a first down at our 20 yard line. A two yard rush by Montgomery was followed with a 9 yard pass to Donald Thompson and Rice had a first and goal from our 10 yard line. The Owls would find the end zone on the next play, Evans connecting with Dean for the 10 yard touchdown pass and a 7-0 Rice lead with 7:28 left in the first quarter.

We started our first drive from our 25 yard line after a 21 yard kickoff return. It was Kiel Fletcher getting us moving early, taking the handoff and running towards the left sideline, turning up field for a gain of 13 yards and a first down at the 38. Fletcher would manage three yards on first down to leave us with second and 7. Testing out the high rated passing defense of Rice, we went into the air on second down. Brandon Booth’s pass intended for Jefferson would sail incomplete as Jefferson slipped and fell down on the wet turf while trying to make a cut on his route, leaving us third and 7 at our 41. The linebacker would break up the pass intended for Max Thompson and we were forced to punt away. A 9 yard return on the 45 yard punt and Rice was back in action from their 22. After throwing the ball away on first down, Evans found Thompson for a gain of 21 yards and the Owls had a first down at the 43. After rushing for one yard on first down, Evans wasn’t able to avoid the defense on the next play, getting sacked for a 5 yard loss to leave Rice facing third and 14 from their 39. An incomplete pass would force Rice to punt for the first time today. A fair catch on the 48 yard boot left us starting our next drive from our 12 yard line.

Fletcher took the ball on first down for a 7 yard gain, before fighting ahead for a gain of four yards and a first down at our 23. A 5 yard rush by Fletcher was followed by an 8 yard pickup by Ryan Strong and we had a first down at the 37 yard line, our offense finally finding momentum. Keeping the ball himself, Booth managed three yards on the first down rush to the 39 yard line. Booth’s pass on the next play to Jefferson went for a gain 6 yards, leaving us with third and two. Booth’s pass on third down was batted incomplete and we were forced to punt away with 1:37 left in the quarter. A 6 yard return on the 46 yard punt left Rice starting at their 15. After a four yard rush by Montgomery, the defense got into the backfield again, sacking Evans for a four yard loss to leave the Owls facing third and 10. An incomplete pass intended for Thompson and Rice would be forced to punt once again, unable to find the rhythm of that opening drive. A fair catch on the 47 yard punt gave our offense the ball at the 37, 50 seconds to go in the first quarter. Booth’s first down pass to Eric Hayden was completed for a 10 yard gain to leave us second and inches. Fletcher would get the first down on the next play, breaking it up the middle for a 6 yard gain to the Rice 48 yard line as the final seconds ticked off the clock. The first quarter was in the bag, Rice leading 7-0.

Opening up the second quarter on the ground, Fletcher was able to turn it up field around the left tackle and pick up 17 yards to give us a first down at the 31 yard line, finally getting deep into Rice territory for the first time this game. Going back into the air, Booth found Thompson wide open on the blitz for a huge pickup of 30 yards, Thompson getting pushed out of bounds at the one yard line to leave us with first and goal. Fletcher would run it in standing up to tie the game up at 7-7 with 7:58 left in the second quarter.

A touchback on the kickoff, and Rice was starting from their 25 yard line, no longer playing with the lead. It would be a failed drive for the Owls as two incomplete passes and a four yard loss by Montgomery left them quickly punting away on fourth and 14. A 14 yard return by Fletcher on the 49 yard punt got our offense starting from our 44 yard line on the next drive. Fletcher could only manage one yard on the first down rush, Rice quickly smothering him. Going back into the air, Booth hit Eric Silva for a gain of 6 yards to leave third and three. Putting our trust in the ground game, Fletcher was able to just make it across the first down line, tackled for a 6 yard gain and a first down at the Rice 43 yard line. The off tackle rush on first down went nowhere, Fletcher only able to get one yard. Taking our shot through the air, Hayden was leveled by both safeties, but not before hauling in the pass from Booth for a gain of 9 yards and a first down at the 33 yard line. Working to confuse the defense with multiple crossing routes, Booth was able to find Jefferson over the middle on a failed transfer of cover for a four yard gain to leave us with second and 6. Continuing through the air, Booth stood up in the pocket in the face of the blitz and delivered a pass to Thompson for a 12 yard gain, giving us a first down at the 17 yard line. Booth kept the ball on first down, but a blitz by the safety left him with nowhere to go and was brought down for no gain. We get back to the end zone of the next play, as Booth hit Jefferson over the top at the two yard line, Jefferson getting tackled forward into the end zone for the 16 yard touchdown and a 14-7 lead with 2:36 left in the first half.

A 24 yard kickoff return got Rice starting at their 22 yard line and a limited amount of time on the clock. The Owls would find their footing this drive, as Evans hit Dean for a 12 yard gain, followed by a 25 yard strike to Thompson to get a very quick pair of first downs and get to our 41 yard line, still 2:03 on the clock. After two straight incomplete passes, Evans found Dean deep down the right sideline for a 28 yard gain and a first down at our 13 yard line, 1:37 left after the first timeout by Rice. The defense would fight back, sacking Evans for a four yard loss to leave Rice with second and 14 from our 17 yard line, the Owls using their second timeout to stop the clock with 1:32 to go. A 2 yard scramble by Evans was followed with another sack by our defense, this time for a 10 yard loss, and Rice was left with fourth and 22 from our 25 yard line, the clock still ticking with 1:19 left. Grant Mosley would kick the 42 yard field goal down the middle of the uprights and Rice cut our lead to 14-10 with 1:01 left.

We wouldn’t have to wait long to respond, as Jefferson took the kickoff, getting a couple blocks and breaking into the open, taking the kickoff back 98 yards for the touchdown and a 21-10 lead with 35 seconds to go in the half. An 18 yard kickoff return left Rice at their 17 yard line and only 24 seconds remaining. The Owls would call it a half, Montgomery getting tackled for a two yard loss and they would let the remaining 19 seconds tick off without another play. We headed into halftime, the huge kickoff return opening our lead up to 21-10 and our offense receiving the ball to start the second half.

A touchback on the kickoff to open the second half got our offense back out on the field starting at our 25 yard line. Fletcher took the handoff to get the drive started, managing a three yard gain before being brought down. Despite getting hit at the line of scrimmage, Fletcher would twist, turn and stumble ahead, falling forward for a gain of 9 yards and a first down at our 37 yard line. Taking it straight up the gut, Fletcher was able to power his way through three tackle attempts for a 20 yard rush and we had a first down at the Rice 43. Keeping it on the ground, Fletcher was only able to pick up two yards on the first down rush. Heading into the air, Booth’s pass to Jefferson was batted down and we were left with third and 8. Booth would commit our first error of the day, his pass intended for Thompson intercepted by right linebacker Bobby Christian, who returned it 26 yards to our 40 yard line, a diving tackle by right tackle Cameron Powers saving what looked to be a potential pick six.

Evans got the Owls started with a four yard rush, before an incomplete pass left Rice with third and 6. Evans would convert the third down, finding Montgomery along the right hash for an 11 yard gain and a first down at our 25 yard line. A three yard rush by Montgomery and an incomplete pass again left Rice looking at third and long, but Evans would connect with George Bailey for a 9 yard pickup and Rice had a new set of downs at our 12 yard line and looking destined for a score. After a pair of rushes by Montgomery for gains of two and four yards, the Owls would finally get back to the end zone, Evans hitting Thompson for the 6 yard touchdown pass to cut our lead to 21-17 with 4:48 left in the third quarter.

A 22 yard kickoff return and our offense was back on the field at our 27 yard line, hoping for a better drive this time around. Fletcher was barely able to pick up two yards on the first down rush, the defense clearly ready for our running game. Trying to get Booth back in the saddle, it was into the air on second down, Booth’s pass to Hayden sailing high over his head and incomplete, leaving us with third and 8 from our 29. Booth would finally get a completion on third down, finding an open Fletcher after a miscue by the defense, Fletcher fighting his way forward for a 29 yard gain and a first down at the Rice 42. A comeback route by Jefferson left the cornerback running in the wrong direction, and thanks to a block by Hayden, Jefferson was able to tightrope the sideline with multiple defenders diving in front of and behind him, picking up a 33 yard gain before finally stepping out of bounds at the 9 yard line to leave us first and goal. Fletcher would get the job done on the next play, rushing it off the left tackle, finding nothing but green grass in front of him thanks to a right side blitz by the defense, taking it the 9 yards for the touchdown and a 28-17 lead with 2:55 left in the third quarter.

A touchback on the kickoff left Rice to find an answer from their 25 yard line. It would be a poor start to the drive, as the left tackle got flagged for holding, pushing Rice back 10 yards to their 15 yard line. An 11 yard pass from Evans to Hart left the Owls with second and 9, Evans’ pass on the next play to Dean going for a gain of 9 yards and a first down at the 35. It was back to the air on the next play, Evans throwing a deep bomb to Thompson for a 31 yard gain, and Rice had a first down at our 34 yard line. A 27 yard pass to Dean and Rice was looking at first and goal from our 7 yard line thanks to four straight passing plays. Montgomery would switching things up on first down with a rush, but he was only able to manage one yard before the defense brought him down. A 5 yard rush by Montgomery would get the Owls down to our one yard line, facing third and goal. Montgomery would take the ball for the third straight play, and he would finish off the drive, punching it in for the touchdown from one yard out to make it 28-24 with 1:04 left in the third quarter. A touchback on the ensuing kickoff gave our offense the ball at our 25.

Fletcher would fight forward for a gain of 7 yards on the first down rush, before being tackled for a loss of one yard to leave us with third and four as the third quarter came to an end, our lead sitting at 28-24 with the final quarter to go.

Coming out pass to start the fourth quarter, Booth’s pass came slipping out of his hands in the rain, his pass to Silva going high and incomplete, and we were forced to punt away on fourth and four. A 9 yard return on the 47 yard punt gave Rice the ball to start from their 31. It would be a short and horrible drive the Owls, Montgomery fumbling the ball after being hit in the backfield,, Andy Malone jumping on the fumble to give our offense back the ball at the Rice 24 yard line and leave us immediately in scoring position. Three straight rushes by Fletcher for gains of 5, three and 7 yards gave us first and goal at the 9 yard line, the clock ticking under 7 minutes to play. A pair of rushes for gains of four and two yards left us with third and goal from the three yard line, before Fletcher took the handoff, bounced outside the right tackle, and despite being stood up at the goal line by the safety, kept the legs pumping to fall forward into the end zone for the three yard touchdown rush and a 35-24 lead with 5:22 left in the game.

A touchback left Rice starting at their 25, needing to find some magic on this drive and get back within one possession. The Owls would do that, as Montgomery picked up 9 yards on first down before Evans found Dean over the middle for a 30 yard gain and a first down at our 37 yard line. A 17 yard pass to Montgomery got the Owls down to our 19 yard line. After an incomplete pass on first down, Montgomery picked up 6 yards on the ground to leave Rice with third and four from our 14 yard line. Evans would trying to find Dean along the right hash, but the play was broken up, leaving the Owls facing fourth down. Going for it on fourth down, Evans would throw into the end zone, but the pass was swatted down, and the turnover on downs gave our offense the ball at our 14 yard line, 3:57 left in the game.

Fletcher took it up the middle for a 6 yard gain, but some dirty laundry was thrown on the flag. Defensive tackle Tony Thornburg was flagged for a facemask and the extra 15 yards gave us a first down at our 35 yard line. Taking the ball again, Fletcher could only manage two yards on the ground, leaving us second and 8. Keeping the ball himself, Booth wasn’t able to find a hole anywhere, getting tackled for a loss of one yard, but the defense would again lend us a helping hand, as right outside linebacker Jahmal Brown was flagged for a facemask penalty and we found ourselves with a first down at the Rice 49 yard line, the clock down to 2:30 left to play. The defense was more than ready for Fletcher on first down, tackling him for no gain. Rice called their first timeout, stopping the clock with 2:16 to go. Fletcher would manage to push it up the middle, fighting forward for a gain of 11 yards and a first down at the 39 yard line, the second timeout by Rice stopping play with 2:12 on the clock. A three yard gain by Fletcher forced the Owls to use their third and final timeout, stopping the clock with 2:08 remaining. Despite blitzing on the next play, Fletcher was able to pound it up the middle for a 12 yard gain to give us a first down at the 23 yard line, the clock dipping under two minutes to play and Rice with no way to stop the clock. Strong would take the ball on first down, rushing ahead for a gain of 8 yards to leave us second and two with 1:24 to go. Another 8 yard rush by Strong gave us first and goal at the Rice 8 yard line with 53 seconds to play, Booth needing only kneel the ball once to run out of the rest of the clock for the 35-24 win.

With the win, we improve our record to 9-1, 6-0 in C-USA action. With the loss, Rice drops to 4-5 on the season, 2-3 in C-USA play. Up next, we get a bye week before hitting the road for the final time this season to take on UTSA.

Final Score
    #10 35, 24

Stat(s) of the Game:
    - Tulsa Offense – A mostly quiet day for Booth, as that #9 passing defense of Rice's held him to only 10 completions and 155 yards passing, along with one touchdown. Fletcher was our offensive star today, rushing for 173 yards and three touchdowns on 31 carries and 29 yard receiving on one catch. Only 5 receivers caught a ball today, Jefferson leading the way with 59 yards and a touchdown on 4 receptions, to go along with his 98 yard kickoff return.

- Tulsa Defense – Held the Rice offense pretty quiet in the first half, but then let the Owls have their way on offense in the second half.

- Tulsa Kicking – No attempted field goals today by Pratt. He did go 5-5 in PATs.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    7 3 14 0 24
    0 21 7 7 35

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    7:28 Touchdown J. Dean, 10 yard pass from L. Evans (G. Mosley kick) 7-0
    Second Quarter
    7:58 Touchdown K. Fletcher, 1 yard run (A. Pratt kick) TIED 7-7
    2:36 Touchdown C. Jefferson, 16 yard pass from B. Booth (A. Pratt kick) 14-7
    1:05 Field Goal G. Mosley, 42 yard field goal 14-10
    0:35 Touchdown C. Jefferson, returned kickoff 98 yards (A. Pratt kick) 21-10
    Third Quarter
    4:48 Touchdown D. Thompson, 6 yard pass from L. Evans (G. Mosley kick) 21-17
    2:55 Touchdown K. Fletcher, 9 yard run (A. Pratt kick) 28-17
    1:04 Touchdown A. Montgomery, 1 yard run (G. Mosley kick) 28-24
    Fourth Quarter
    5:22 Touchdown K. Fletcher, 3 yard run (A. Pratt kick) 35-24

Game Stats

Rice Stat Tulsa
    24 Score 35
    15 First Downs 20
    344 Total Offense 352
    17 - 48 - 1 Rushes - Yards - TD 38 - 197 - 3
    18 - 30 - 2 Comp - Att - TD 10 - 17 - 1
    296 Passing Yards 155
    4 Times Sacked 0
    5 - 10 (50%) 3rd Down Conversion 4 - 8 (50%)
    0 - 1 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 0 - 0 (0%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    6 - 3 - 1 (66%) Red Zone - TD - FG 7 - 4 - 0 (57%)
    1 Turnovers 1
    1 Fumbles Lost 0
    0 Intercepted 1
    24 Punt Return Yards 14
    42 Kick Return Yards 141
    410 Total Yards 507
    3 – 48.7 Punts - Average 3 - 46.0
    5 - 65 Penalties 2 - 30
    15:43 Time of Possession 20:17

Tulsa Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    Win 8 games in one season
    13+ passing TD in one season
    14+ points per game in each season 41
    7+ rushing TD in one season
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    2400+ total offensive yards in each season
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season

Job Security Status

100%

Time for another look around the nation. Starting in the Top 25, new #1 Auburn wins their second straight top 3 battle and defends their top rank, besting #3 Texas A&M 31-24 thanks to an 11 yard pick six. in the upset of the week, 6-3 South Carolina scores on a 8 yard touchdown pass to with 6:29 to go to knock off #2 Georgia, 35-31. #4 Washington had a hell of a battle on their hands, using a 25 yard returned interception to hold off 4-5 Arizona, 21-18. A battle of top tens went to #7 Alabama, who handed #5 LSU their second straight loss in a 42-17 ass whooping.

#9 Michigan has a cakewalk of a day, absolutely demolishing #19 Wisconsin 49-10. Navy did have a 17-14 lead at halftime, but #13 Notre Dame scores 28 points in the fourth quarter, 35 total in the second half to destroy the Midshipmen 49-17. #14 Clemson holds off Boston College 27-17. #15 Wake Forest suffers their second loss of the year, falling to 6-4 Louisville 24-17. #16 USC avoided a second straight loss, holding on against Stanford, 30-19. Nevada improves to 7-2, knocking off #17 Fresno State 49-37. #20 Georgia Tech picks up a 35-25 win over North Carolina. #21 Miami scores 17 unanswered to beat Virginia Tech 20-10. And Oregon becomes bowl eligible, knocking off #24 UCLA 51-31.

For our readers, souljahbill,Southern Miss wins their third in a row, whooping Florida Atlantic 42-7 to improve to 5-4 (4-1 in C-USA). Jaymo, Arizona State lost to Oregon State this week, 38-28, dropping to 4-5 (2-4 Pac-12), but to stay within 10 points of the team that had just knocked off previous #4 USC is a bit of win. Mors, West Virginia loses 37-7 to #6 Oklahoma, dropping to 3-6 (1-5 Big 12). Other teams of interest, Arkansas State finally breaks their four game losing streak, beating Texas State 44-7 to improve to 4-4 (1-3 Sun Belt).

On a C-USA note, we just got some major breathing room. North Texas comes back from their ass whooping by us, and dishes out their own ass whooping, beating UTEP 41-14 to drop the Miners to 6-3 (4-1) and give us a tighter grip on first place. Over the East division, it all comes down to week 11, when Southern Miss (5-4, 4-1) hosts FIU (7-3, 4-2) for first place in the division. With the next closest teams all at 2-4 in the conference, the FIU-Southern Miss battle will decide who gets outright first place in the division and most likely who will win the division in the end. Regardless of who wins, unless we collapse in our last two games, it's gonna be a rematch either way in the C-USA Championship Game against either FIU or Southern Miss.

In other news, Army improves to 4-5 on the year with a 28-14 win over Air Force. A win over Navy will give Army the C-I-C trophy. Also from this game, Air Force has gone on an epic slide. Air Force was 4-0 and ranked #24 a couple weeks ago, they have now lost four straight to end up 4-4 and having to fight to become bowl eligible.

And in the Nelson's "HA HA" game of the week, New Mexico drops to 2-5 on the year with a 30-24 overtime loss to FCS Midwest.

Looking at undefeated teams left, with #2 Georgia and #3 Texas A&M losing this week, that drops our number of undefeated teams left to 2. #1 Auburn (9-0) and #4 Washington (9-0) are all that's left with an unblemished record at the end of week 10.

Turning to a more sadistic watch, who is still winless. There remains 2 teams still looking for their first win: Memphis (0-10) and UMass (0-9).

Teams getting their first wins this week were: Washington State (34-27 over 3-7 Cal).

Elsewhere, on a note of epic suck, Memphis loses to South Florida this week, 42-21, dropping Memphis to 0-10 on the season, and 0-22 total over the last two seasons.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 polls, starting in the Coaches Poll, Auburn (32 first place votes) remains #1. Washington (29 votes) jumps two to #2. Alabama leaps four to #3, Oklahoma climbs two to #4 and Texas A&M falls two to #5. Michigan moves up three to #6, Michigan State climbs one to #7. Tulsa moves up two to #8, TCU climbs two to #9 and Georgia falls eight to #10. LSU drops six to #11, Nebraska, Notre Dame and Clemson all stay stuck at #12, #13 and #14. USC climbs one to #15, Houston jumps two to #16, Georgia Tech and Miami both climb three to #17 and #18. Texas jumps three to #19, Iowa moves up three #20, Wake Forest falls six to #21. Fresno State tumbles five to #22, Nevada enters the poll at #23, Kansas State moves up one to #24 and Wyoming enters the poll at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Wisconsin (from #19) and UCLA (from #24). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Wisconsin (239 votes) is #26, followed by South Carolina (209), Louisville (196), Oregon (100) and FIU (77) to round out the top 30.

In the Media Poll, Auburn (39 first place votes) remains #1. Washington (26 votes) climbs two to #2, Alabama leaps five to #3, Oklahoma moves up two to #4 and Texas A&M falls two to #5. Michigan moves up one to #6, Michigan State rises two to #7. Tulsa jumps two to #8. TCU climbs two to #9 and Georgia falls eight to #10. Nebraska climbs one to #11, LSU drops seven to #12, Notre Dame, USC and Clemson all climb one to #13, #14 and #15. Houston jumps two to #16, Georgia Tech rises four to #17, Texas climbs two to #18 and Wake Forest falls six to #19. Miami jumps three to #20, Iowa climbs three to #21, Fresno State drops five to #22, Nevada enters the poll at #23, Kansas State climbs one to #24 and Wyoming enters the poll at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Wisconsin (from #19) and UCLA (from #24). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, South Carolina (335 votes) is #26, followed by Wisconsin (291), FIU (286), Louisville (267) and Oregon (209) to round out the top 30.

Looking at the new BCS standings, Auburn is #1, Washington #2, Alabama #3, Oklahoma #4 and Texas A&M #5. Michigan sits #6, Michigan State #7, Tulsa #8, TCU #9 and Nebraska #10.

Other notes for the week, his 173 yard, three touchdown performance helps Kiel Fletcher move back to #2 on the Heisman Watch list, helped also by David Williams dropping down to #4 following a 6-8, 46 yards passing performance in Texas A&M's 31-24 loss to Auburn.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 12-28-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Well, I think it's safe to say Rice lived up to that #9 ranked passing defense. Good lord. That was a tough game to win with my passing attack fairly well shut down.

Well, I think it's safe to say Rice lived up to that #9 ranked passing defense. Good lord. That was a tough game to win with my passing attack fairly well shut down.
    LOVE that it forced you to use your Heisman Trophy watchlist player more though.

#8 now! Would love a breakdown of the teams in the top 10 and their schedules to see if it's actually possible for you to get up there.

LOVE that it forced you to use your Heisman Trophy watchlist player more though.

#8 now! Would love a breakdown of the teams in the top 10 and their schedules to see if it's actually possible for you to get up there.
    True, but I'm playing to win games, the Heisman is secondary.

Wait until I post the top 25 results and new rankings after this bye week.

We had a bye week in week 11.

Time for another look around the nation. Starting in the Top 25, in the game of the week, #1 Auburn couldn't defend their top ranking for second time, losing 24-21 in overtime to #10 Georgia.
    #2 Washington holds on to beat UCLA 45-20. #3 Alabama barely holds off Mississippi State, 24-21. #11 LSU hands #5 Texas A&M their second straight loss, 38-21. #6 Michigan uses a 23 point third quarter to down Northwestern 44-24. #20 Iowa knocks off #7 Michigan State in the battle of the kickers, Iowa's 5 field goals beating MSU's one field goal for the 15-3 final. Virginia Tech takes down #17 Georgia Tech 26-10. And #24 Kansas State gets a late touchdown to edge out Texas Tech 17-14.

For our readers, souljahbill,Southern Miss wins their fourth in a row, beating FIU 30-21 to improve to 6-4 (5-1 in C-USA) and secure the East Division title. Jaymo, Arizona State loses to Colorado in double overtime, 55-49, dropping to 4-6 (2-5 Pac-12). Mors, West Virginia had a bye week, remaining at 3-6 (1-5 Big 12). Other teams of interest, Arkansas State loses 34-13 to Rutgers, dropping to 4-5 (1-3 Sun Belt).

On a C-USA note, UTEP beats UTSA 24-16 to improve to 7-3 (5-1), putting the Miners a single game behind us for first place in the West. It's gonna be a race to the finish line. And in the unofficial "East Division Championship Game", Southern Miss improves to 6-4 (5-1) as they beat FIU 30-21, dropping the Golden Panthers to 7-4 (4-3) and securing a spot in the C-USA Championship Game.

And in the Nelson's "HA HA" game of the week, New Mexico drops to 2-6 on the year with a 35-32 loss to FCS West, the Lobos second straight loss to a FCS opponent.

Looking at undefeated teams left, with #1 Auburn losing this week, that drops our number of undefeated teams left to 1. #2 Washington (10-0) is all that remains with an unblemished record this season.

Turning to a more sadistic watch, who is still winless. There remains 2 teams still looking for their first win: Memphis (0-10) and UMass (0-10).

No teams got their first wins this week

Elsewhere, on a note of epic suck, Memphis had a bye week this week to remain 0-10 on the season, and 0-22 total over the last two seasons.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 polls, starting in the Coaches Poll, Washington (61 first place votes) climbs one spot and is your new #1. Alabama and Oklahoma both climb one to #2 and #3. Michigan moves up two to #4, Auburn drops four to #5, Georgia jumps four to #6. Tulsa climbs one to #7. LSU moves up three to #8, TCU stays at #9 and Texas A&M falls five to #10. Nebraska, Notre Dame, Clemson, USC and Houston all moved up one to #11 through #15. Michigan State dropped nine to #16. Iowa moved up three to #17, Miami and Texas both remained still at #18 and #19. Wake Forest, Fresno State, Nevada, Kansas State and Wyoming all climbed one to #20 through #24. And Louisville entered the poll this week at #25. Dropping out of the poll this week was Georgia Tech (from #17). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Georgia Tech (221 votes) sits at #26, Oregon (200), Ohio State (85), SMU (58) and Virginia Tech (37) rounding out the top 30.

In the Media Poll, Washington (65 first place votes) climbs one to be your new #1. Georgia makes a WTF jump of eight to #2, Alabama remains #3. Oklahoma stays at #4, LSU leaps seven to #5, Michigan stayed at #6, Auburn dropped six to #7. Tulsa remains #8. TCU stayed at #9 and Nebraska climbed one to #10. Texas A&M fell six to #11, Notre Dame and USC both moved up one to #12 and #13. Iowa jumped seven to #14, Clemson and Houston both stayed #15 and #16. Michigan State dropped ten to #17, Texas stayed at #18, Miami and Wake Forest traded spots, Miami climbing one to #19, Wake Forest dropping one to #20. Fresno State, Nevada, Kansas State and Wyoming all moved up one to #21 through #24. And Georgia Tech fell eight to #25. Nobody dropped out this week. Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Louisville (217 votes) is #26, followed by Oregon (190), Virginia Tech (93), SMU (79) and Ohio State (51) to round out the top 30.

Looking at the new BCS standings, Washington is #1, Alabama #2, Oklahoma #3, Georgia #4 and Michigan #5. Auburn sits #6, LSU #7, Tulsa #8, Nebraska #9 and Texas A&M #10.

Other notes for the week, despite having a bye week, Kiel Fletcher remains #2 on the Heisman Watch list behind Georgia's Matt Blount.

WOW. Fuck you Georgia.

Mors, looking at remaining schedules. I included everyone through the top 14 to cover anybody who might have a chance of jumping me from behind.

#1 Washington home against both Arizona State (4-6) and Washington State (1-9).

#2 Alabama hosts #10 Texas A&M (9-2) and is at #5 Auburn (9-1).

#3 Oklahoma is home against Texas Tech (5-4) and Oklahoma State (4-5), then plays at #9 TCU (8-1).

#4 Michigan is home against both #17 Iowa (8-2) and Ohio State (8-3).

#5 Auburn is at Missouri (3-8) and hosts #2 Alabama (9-1).

#6 Georgia is on the road at Kentucky (3-7) and at Georgia Tech (7-3).

#7 Tulsa is at UTSA (5-5) and hosts UTEP (7-3).

#8 LSU hosts both Ole Miss (3-7) and Arkansas (5-5).

#9 TCU is at West Virginia (3-6), then hosts #19 Texas (7-2) and #3 Oklahoma (8-1).

#11 Nebraska is at Minnesota (2-8) and hosts #17 Iowa (8-2).

#12 Notre Dame hosts #14 USC (9-1).

#13 Clemson ends with games at #20 Wake Forest (8-2) and at South Carolina (6-4).

#14 USC hosts UCLA (7-3) and plays at #12 Notre Dame (9-2).
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 12-28-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Yikes, it's gonna be TOUGH for you to break through to the top 2 and have a chance.

Definitely looks like, unless you lose a game, you are guaranteed a BCS bowl though.

Mors, looking at remaining schedules. I included everyone through the top 14 to cover anybody who might have a chance of jumping me from behind.

#1 Washington home against both Arizona State (4-6) and Washington State (1-9).

#2 Alabama hosts #10 Texas A&M (9-2) and is at #5 Auburn (9-1).

#3 Oklahoma is home against Texas Tech (5-4) and Oklahoma State (4-5), then plays at #9 TCU (8-1).

#4 Michigan is home against both #17 Iowa (8-2) and Ohio State (8-3).

#5 Auburn is at Missouri (3-8) and hosts #2 Alabama (9-1).

#6 Georgia is on the road at Kentucky (3-7) and at Georgia Tech (7-3).

#7 Tulsa is at UTSA (5-5) and hosts UTEP (7-3).

#8 LSU hosts both Ole Miss (3-7) and Arkansas (5-5).

#9 TCU is at West Virginia (3-6), then hosts #19 Texas (7-2) and #3 Oklahoma (8-1).

#11 Nebraska is at Minnesota (2-8) and hosts #17 Iowa (8-2).

#12 Notre Dame hosts #14 USC (9-1).

#13 Clemson ends with games at #20 Wake Forest (8-2) and at South Carolina (6-4).

#14 USC hosts UCLA (7-3) and plays at #12 Notre Dame (9-2).
    I can see it now... ASU will have a major upset over Washington.

Yikes, it's gonna be TOUGH for you to break through to the top 2 and have a chance.

Definitely looks like, unless you lose a game, you are guaranteed a BCS bowl though.
    We'll end up finding out.

Unfortunately, Rice may be the only game I play today. I've got some stuff I have to get taken care of real quick and still find something for dinner (probably going and picking up a pizza), so it'll be 6pm at the absolute earliest before I could even hope to kickoff the UTSA game. As I am already feeling a little bit tired, that means come 6 or 7pm, I'll probably be starting to drag ass, and since I have to be up at 2am for my morning show, I was already planning on calling it a night early to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I can see it now... ASU will have a major upset over Washington.
    Who knows. With the way the #1/top 5 teams have been dropping like flies lately, anything's possible. And if ASU doesn't get it done, a one or two win Washington State DID knock off a ranked Washington squad last season.

Smooth, check out the Powerhouse Week 6 thread for a quick summary of my game tonight. My offense did not work as well as advertised ...
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Well, now that I'm done with work, home, settled in and done watching Oregon State's offense suck ass in the final 2 1/2 minutes of the Alamo Bowl against Texas, time to fire up UTSA.