Thread: Random Video Game Talk

• Facebook
  • Display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    lol. i swear 3/4 of the kids that work at Game Stop don't even play video games.

sort of a random thought. Does anyone think the video game store will become a dinosaur in say the next decade (ala blockbuster)?

IMHO, it appears to me that technology is going to almost eliminate the need/demand for consoles/discs etc... I believe in the future nearly all t.v.s will have wireless internet capabilities where users can simply download the game (for purchase or to rent) thus eliminating the need for hard copies of games or even consoles to play them on.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    lol. i swear 3/4 of the kids that work at Game Stop don't even play video games.
    Yes, and it's retarded... I tried to get a job there when I was 16 or 17 and the fuckers wouldn't hire me (me, who played the hell out of video games) but they hire some moron that doesn't know dick about video games to work there...

sort of a random thought. Does anyone think the video game store will become a dinosaur in say the next decade (ala blockbuster)?

IMHO, it appears to me that technology is going to almost eliminate the need/demand for consoles/discs etc... I believe in the future nearly all t.v.s will have wireless internet capabilities where users can simply download the game (for purchase or to rent) thus eliminating the need for hard copies of games or even consoles to play them on.
    It's already being worked on. Can't remember the name of the device, but there was this company that offered a $200 (I think it was $200, may have been less) device with a nominal monthly fee (like $30 or something) that basically gave you access to everything ala Steam but it streamed the entire process via the internet so you didn't have to worry about not having a good enough computer to run it or not having the next best console to play the game. It was just available to you to play. It was pretty ambitious as this was like 3 or 4 years ago I think when I heard about it. Not sure whatever happened to it (probably the fact that it would never truly work because of shitty internet speeds in the US along with game company contract issues) but it's obviously not here yet.

I wouldn't say 3/4, but probably a good amount of them don't. But hell, even if they did ... that doesn't mean they actually pay attention to the industry. I worked at a movie store for 2 years, and besides what was up on the big board and on our preview DVDs, I had no clue what movies were coming out when. I knew exactly when games were coming out, but, even then, only the ones I was interested in.

If the kid's a PS3 gamer, it wouldn't be surprising at all that he didn't know about the new 360 controller. Well ... I suppose he should have known it was in-stock today ...

I've thought, and said this, for a little while now. But the one thing to consider is the size of the game. Regularly downloading full-size titles still isn't possible on the majority of our Internet infrastructure. Those of us in cities (or on college campuses) are in luck, but the rural customers -- not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    it's obviously not here yet.
    It's here, and it's been out for four months. http://www.vgrevolution.com/2010/07/onlive-review/
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    If the kid's a PS3 gamer, it wouldn't be surprising at all that he didn't know about the new 360 controller. Well ... I suppose he should have known it was in-stock today ...
    Yeah it took him five minutes to figure that out too....

And yeah OnLive isn't going to take over the disc-based gaming world at all in my opinion; nor am I interested in it.