Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2015-16 Coaching Carousel

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    You think that Youngstown St coach is available?
    The dude abides.

You think that Youngstown St coach is available?
    I think he'd be a good fit as well.

Or are they waiting for Scott Frost to develop for a couple more years? If his mommy approves and sets it up of course.

Or are they waiting for Scott Frost to develop for a couple more years? If his mommy approves and sets it up of course.
    Everyone here thought he was going to be our savior. I'm not convinced he'd make a great head coach.
    The dude abides.

Barring some surprise, the carousel appears to be stopped for the year.

UTSA hires LSU RC/RB coach Frank Wilson.

2015-16 Coaching Carousel

Nebraska is the real winner in the carousel as they're able to hang on to Mike Riley despite being the perfect coach for every other school.

Dang it, Bill.....this is proof positive that sometimes it is better to lose.

CFB: Southern Mississippi coach Todd Monken resigns after 3 seasons; named OC of Tampa Bay Buccaneeers*-via ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    CFB: Southern Mississippi coach Todd Monken resigns after 3 seasons; named OC of Tampa Bay Buccaneeers*-via ESPN.
    Shit. I don't follow Southern Miss so maybe some knew this was coming, but for me, damn, this came from out of nowhere. Talk about getting screwed this late in the recruiting game. Now Southern Miss gonna have to scramble to get a new coach in place damn soon.

That's very shitty on Monken's part. To do it 10 days before NSD is ridiculous. That said, ASU was after some of the same recruits as USM so it may work out in our favor.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    That's very shitty on Monken's part. To do it 10 days before NSD is ridiculous. That said, ASU was after some of the same recruits as USM so it may work out in our favor.
    Yeah, this late in the recruiting game, just 10 days before NSD, that is just a bullshit move on Monken's part. May as well have given the entire school the middle finger out the window as he drove away. Now Southern Miss has to try and find a new head coach with only 10 days left before the NSD and at a time when coaching staffs will eventually be working on what their strategies and game plans will be for the new season with spring practices just a couple months away.

Maybe Monken wants to be a NFL head coach some day, maybe he viewed this as he best chance to break into the NFL, but to jump ship this late, that's just shitty. I legitimately feel bad for the Southern Miss kids right now, having to deal with this crap this late into January, and only 10 days before the NSD, which I can guarantee is going to screw Southern Miss out of a number of potential recruit signings.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Shit. I don't follow Southern Miss so maybe some knew this was coming, but for me, damn, this came from out of nowhere. Talk about getting screwed this late in the recruiting game. Now Southern Miss gonna have to scramble to get a new coach in place damn soon.
    No one saw this coming. I wish him the best but this suuuuuuuucks.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    No one saw this coming. I wish him the best but this suuuuuuuucks.
    I doubt they could afford the buyout (2-3M) and I don't think he would go, but now there's a very small concern that ASU's HC may go back to USM.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

2015-16 Coaching Carousel

I doubt they could afford the buyout (2-3M) and I don't think he would go, but now there's a very small concern that ASU's HC may go back to USM.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    As of right now, the rumor mill has us promoting the DC or getting Alcorn St.'s coach as he used to also coach at USM.

An interesting note: Monken was our 3rd HC that was previously the OC at Oklahoma St. so maybe whomever has that job now is a candidate. LOL!
    Last edited by souljahbill; 01-24-2016 at 06:19 PM.

That timing is terrible.

On a non-serious note: The answer for USM is Mike Riley. (Still trying to determine what the question is, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    That timing is terrible.

On a non-serious note: The answer for USM is Mike Riley. (Still trying to determine what the question is, though.)
    All those 9-4 and 10-4 seasons suddenly don't look so bad anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    All those 9-4 and 10-4 seasons suddenly don't look so bad anymore.
    Indeed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

From Bruce Feldman:

Some intriguing candidates: 40-year-old Chip Lindsey who just left USM this offseason after helping the program set several offensive records to become the OC at ASU. He turned down opportunities to become the head coach at Eastern Kentucky and Louisiana-Monroe.

Tyrone Nix, who was a former Golden Eagles linebacker and team captain is now the defensive coordinator at Middle Tennessee. The 43-year-old Nix spent a decade as a USM assistant.

Ole Miss co-OC Matt Luke, a native of nearby Gulfport, is highly regarded in coaching circles. A protege of David Cutcliffe and Hugh Freeze, Luke has proven to be one of the nation's top O-line coaches and helped the Rebels become an SEC powerhouse.

A wild card could be TCU offensive coordinator Doug Meacham, who has turned down some other opportunities but might be willing to listen to this one. The 51-year-old Texas native has helped the Horned Frogs produce consecutive top 5 offenses after they ranked 106th the year before he showed up.

Another possible candidate could be West Georgia head coach Will Hall. The 35-year-old Amory, Miss., native was a former star quarterback at North Alabama who won the Harlon Hill Trophy. He is a 24-5 in two seasons at D2 West Georgia and 49-16 in five seasons as a head coach. He led West Alabama to its first conference title ever before going to West Georgia.

I don't know about that last one. Jumping from D2 to FBS is a bit of a jump.

It is shitty.

I hate seeing smaller schools get fucked like this and treated like stepping stones. I know it's part of it but I still don't like it.

I know ASU has been used like this alot recently and it has to be maddening to support a small program and have to deal with constant change. That would drive me nuts and make me quit getting excited about a new coach.

I hope that Southern Miss can land on their feet and that they don't fade back to the level of recent years. They just got back on track and this happens.

10 fucking days from signing day. That is a kick in the nuts.