Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden 16 Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Man, wouldn't it suck to own Madden 16 and have no internet access?
    LOL

SUCKS!

I'm one of the 0.01%.

My sons and I play, we aren't playing online. So far all we've tried is multiple Play Now games. Haven't started a CFM yet. I'm sure We'll start one with our Texans, but I haven't missed much playing offline.

I did notice they changed up the special teams menus, you have to look hard to find the QB kneel. I did notice there is a fake spike, that will be fun to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    LOL

SUCKS!

I'm one of the 0.01%.

My sons and I play, we aren't playing online. So far all we've tried is multiple Play Now games. Haven't started a CFM yet. I'm sure We'll start one with our Texans, but I haven't missed much playing offline.

I did notice they changed up the special teams menus, you have to look hard to find the QB kneel. I did notice there is a fake spike, that will be fun to try out.
    I was referring to having no ability to download patches etc. Not to simply playing Play Now games.

LOL LOL

So here's a good review....

I was referring to having no ability to download patches etc. Not to simply playing Play Now games.

It's EA day 1, you expected more?

LOL LOL

So here's a good review....

Oh man... that video brought me to tears! Sam Kinnison plays Madden.

It's EA day 1, you expected more?
    Jesus Christ, man. You still don't get it.

IF YOU BOUGHT MADDEN AND COULD NOT DOWNLOAD PATCHES YOU WOULD BE STUCK WITH THE GAME AS IS - WITH ALL OF THE ISSUES THAT MAKE CFM BROKEN, ETC.

No one is saying they expected perfection. I just said I'd hate to be the guy who can't get the patches.

All I had to do was restart my PS4 and it worked fine...downloaded all of the updates it needed and that was it.

Quick impressions after a handful of games against friends on All-Madden only.

Aggressive catch isn't what all people are saying it is. In total my opponents and I combined are 8-46. Majority of those are with big WR's. We may just suck at doing it or something. I know we have picked each other off alot though...and half of the picks weren't even user picks.

Love the Gameplay additions. Get "skinny" running through hole.

Shading in coverage actually works. Love the way they tuned speed and separation.

QB throws that you can make now...notably back shoulder throw. Love the touch pass. QB's are wild with throws. Winston must have missed 10 easy passes in game just finished.

Don't have any impressions on CPU or any other mode. Gameplay is definitely nice if you are into that sort of thing.

Jesus Christ, man. You still don't get it.

IF YOU BOUGHT MADDEN AND COULD NOT DOWNLOAD PATCHES YOU WOULD BE STUCK WITH THE GAME AS IS - WITH ALL OF THE ISSUES THAT MAKE CFM BROKEN, ETC.

No one is saying they expected perfection. I just said I'd hate to be the guy who can't get the patches.
    Oh, I get it....I'm just saying that in the history of EA titles they are never complete day 1, heck they are usually never "complete" I'm just surprised after all this time people are still frustrated or amazed that this is front page news.

It's EA.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Don't have any impressions on CPU or any other mode. Gameplay is definitely nice if you are into that sort of thing.
    Really liking the running game and the game looks really nice on zoom level. Snow even looks better and you guys know I love my snow. There seems to be more of a depth to it. Or it could be I am getting senile. Speaking of senile, maybe I am just too old for all the new receiving stuff? I like the fact you can hold L1/L2 to throw the ball high or low. To me the receiver prompts are annoying and I am just sticking to one button (triangle) for jump. RAC? What else is my receiver going to do? I am just turning off all those prompts off and playing it like I did the old Madden games. It's not a bad thing, just seems like one too many things for me to do.

Trigger warning for gigem (gripes ahead)

Load times seem a bit longer this year to me.
    Way, way, way to many dead players after being tackled. Especially on kickoff/punt returns, players just lay there frozen for far too long, far too often.

Just exhibition games until the season starts, rosters are finalized and there is another patch under the belt before starting my franchise.

* I did find out where EA Trax was, hidden up there in the messaging center for some crazy ass reason.

How is the running game as far as jukes go?
    I haven't really played a Madden game since 2000(?). The jukes then were on the bumper buttons and players like Sanders were awesome to control.
    In the most recent games, it seems it was all stick-based and the jukes didn't feel nearly as quick or robust. It was like a subtle shift instead of a full on cut left or right.
    It kind of ruined the running experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    How is the running game as far as jukes go?
    I haven't really played a Madden game since 2000(?). The jukes then were on the bumper buttons and players like Sanders were awesome to control.
    In the most recent games, it seems it was all stick-based and the jukes didn't feel nearly as quick or robust. It was like a subtle shift instead of a full on cut left or right.
    It kind of ruined the running experience for me.
    Of course it carries on the running backs abilities, how successful you can be juking. It has been R-Stick controlled for so long most of us are used to it. There are two types off jukes, a standard juke using only the R-Stick and a precision juke which requires you to hold down the left trigger while moving the R-Stick left or right. I rarely ever use the later and generally prefer to truck with my bigger backs. The standard juke really slows you down so the only time I use it is when trapped in the backfield or way down field when you have one guy to beat. The precision might make for a quicker cut but my brain never allows me to remember this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Really liking the running game and the game looks really nice on zoom level. Snow even looks better and you guys know I love my snow. There seems to be more of a depth to it. Or it could be I am getting senile. Speaking of senile, maybe I am just too old for all the new receiving stuff? I like the fact you can hold L1/L2 to throw the ball high or low. To me the receiver prompts are annoying and I am just sticking to one button (triangle) for jump. RAC? What else is my receiver going to do? I am just turning off all those prompts off and playing it like I did the old Madden games. It's not a bad thing, just seems like one too many things for me to do.
    Run game definitely looks nice. Feels better than past version as well in terms of movement. I love the get "skinny" feature. Before the RB would do that when it wasn't necessary I felt.

On All-Madden it is definitely difficult to run, especially up the middle. You can have a hole as wide as day but it will get closed quickly and backside pursuit is swarming.

Love the WR/DB interactions. I've had instances where my CB jammed or hand fought the WR so well that the QB overthrew to the spot he thought he would be by then. Speaking of which it's going to be alot of missed throws and missed throw interceptions. QB inaccuracy is definitely a factor even with the better rated QB's if you try to get cute throwing the wrong type of pass (Touch, Bullet).

Also I don't have the visual stuff show for me. On All-Madden it is off by default but you can turn all of that off in the settings if you don't want it showing. Should be under Visual Feedback. All of that is off for me as well as the tackle cone.

This is definitely a huge upgrade from the past several Madden's in terms of straight up Gameplay

Joe Horn is unstoppable in Draft Champions....smmmfffffhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Escobar View Post
    Joe Horn is unstoppable in Draft Champions....smmmfffffhhhhhhh
    Does he get his cell phone after touchdowns?

I've been playing on All-Pro. I think the RB jukes seem good. Using the right-stick they will make quick left and right jukes, LT + r-stick makes them slow down and make more agressive jukes.

The quick jukes seem faster to me, this year compared to Madden 2015, it's nice how they will make quick sharp cuts.

I agree with the above on the onscreen stuff being a bit much. It will flash in red, "Under Pressure" then when you throw it, it suggests a button to press to make the catch while telling you at the same time what kind of pass you threw, touch, lob, bullet, etc...me and my son are like WHAT? did it say, and he's like, what did what say? it said 3 things at one time.

I pretty much ignore it as I'm doing my best to not get sacked and then complete a pass. I can't paint a picture with my toes while playing Madden or read a book at the same time so for this old dude it's a bit much on the sensory overload.

I am impressed with the DB tip passes that can them be caught by another defensive player, that's a cool new animation.

D-lineman are also much better, I threw a screen pass against my son and his D-lineman reached up and picked off the pass, we were both impressed. I guess that's one where I was supposed to press LT to lob it over the D-lineman.

I also like the added commentary from last year, they've put some new lines in there and some are pretty funny. I wish I could remember the one I heard tonight but it actually made me laugh.

I also like the on the fly stuff you can do w/ the QB. I was using the Miami Dolphins and was scrambling out of the pocket with Fightin' Texas Aggie Ryan Tannehill, my son was coming up to knock his head off as I was rumbling towards the First down marker, I flicked the right stick forward prior to crossing the LOS and it made his DB jump up in the air and gave me just enough time to sneak by. That was FUN!
    Last edited by gigemaggs99; 08-26-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Guys you can turn off the visual stuff simply turning it off in the Settings.

On a side note I just found out a nice little addition on Defense.

In the past when you had a QB Spy, the Spy would just sit back behind LOS and wait for the QB to run at them before trying to do something about it. Which usually mean't they could be outran, juked and be pretty worthless.

Now you are able to make the Spy attack the QB instead of just watching them by hitting the Right stick down. That will make the Spy defender attack the QB behind the LOS.

That is definitely nice. Continuing to be more and more impressed with the Gameplay this version.
    Last edited by skipwondah33; 08-27-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Lot's of people are complaining about passing mechanics. Mark my words, the devs will release a tuner patch which will destroy the pass game. Devs already said on twitter that changes are coming in wr/db interactions. Remember the solid run game on NCAA 11... then people complained and a patch killed the cpu run game. Don't give into the complainers EA!
    Last edited by jaymo76; 08-27-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Lot's of people are compalining about passing mechanics. Mark my words, the devs will release a tuner patch which will destroy the pass game. Devs already said on twitter that changes are coming in wr/db interactions. Remember the solid run game on NCAA 11... then people compalined and a patch killed the cpu run game. Don't give into the complainers EA!
    Seriously!

This is why I say somehow 2 different games should be made. One for the hardcore crowd that revolves around Gameplay, then one for the crowd of Freestyle/casual crowd.

Every strong version of the game gets ruined by those who can't understand, adapt or function with the game.

Not saying the game/Gameplay is perfect right now but it is very strong and I fear it's going to get watered down now.

Finally got Madden today. And after popping it in, waiting for the update and then waiting through a very long opening game sequence between Pitt and Arizona (it was cool but I should be able to skip it; load times are long) I got some gaming in. I did do a quick skills trainer on the passing game to get a quick look at the new passing and receiving controls.

I started out on All-Pro. Played a tiny bit against the Lions with Miami and got a pick 6 off of Stafford. Then shut if off since as I had to get back to work. Fired up a game later with Miami at Pitt (cpu). Roethlisberger lit me up like I couldn’t believe. At half time I was losing 35-7 as he ripped me a new one. He was 12-12, 285 yards and 4 TDs. He hit a couple bombs too as my coverage was horrid. It was actually really nice to see. I shut that game off at half and took on the Bills in Miami. This time I won 23-14 and Cassell was nowhere near as good as Big Ben. Very happy to see a separation between cpu QBs. I was also shocked that I saw the cpu QBs in some games actually throw the ball away including one time on a screen pass I covered where the QB spun out and threw the ball away. Unfortunately the pass rush is so awfully neutered on default that both QBs can read a book while sitting in the pocket. Definitely something that needs tweaking in the sliders but something that is certainly fixed offline.

I saw a few spectacular catches but more often than not these passes were not completed. My early impression is that the aggressive catch is not over powered although I haven’t used a dominant WR (although I expect a dominant WR to actually dominate). I think it’s true that you don’t have to hit those special catch buttons – I think they automatically trigger. But I do like the fact I can change them to something else. Quite a few times RAC popped up when I just wanted to secure the catch with possession. I do love the fact there is a battle in the air for the ball unlike years past where it was an automatic knockdown for the DB. I also like the options to keep my WR in bounds and this does seem much better to me.

The game itself looks fantastic in the afternoon games on the grass. The tackling looks great and realistic too. The halftime show is well done imo. But why can’t they apply that for a postgame show too? Instead we gets some highlight clips and no commentary. Nantz and Simms have similar commentary and I’m fine with them.

Special teams are still weak. No separate sliders for human vs cpu for some strange reason in franchise and you can’t even access special teams sliders in-game. CPU kick returners are never a threat and the cpu punter is terrible. The one time the punter kicked from his own 45 and I got the ball on my 41! I guess he kept it out of the end zone.

CPU clock management has changed. I don’t see the automatic timeout at 1:00 anymore. I’m guessing it’s around 45/46 seconds now. They don’t seem to burn their timeouts as fast but they also don’t use them well either. The cpu tried to squeeze in one more play before the half and the time ran out WITH a timeout in their pocket! Penalties are called more on default. I haven’t messed with those sliders but I trust everyone else that it’s much improved.

Everything feels like Madden has improved a bit or stayed the same and that leads me to my biggest annoyance – the inside running game. Overall with the running game I’ve seen some cool animations. Twice my RB seemed to spin off a tackler (without me hitting spin) and I got some extra yards including a cool long TD with Lamar Miller. The r-stick juke sucks but if you hold L2 (modifier) it’s decent although the spin is probably better.

For the last 2-3 years the inside running game has been too easy on ANY difficulty level and you could not fix this with sliders. The same appears to be the case in Madden 16. Guards and Centers routinely knock the DTs off the ball – usually by at least a yard though not always. DTs almost never seem to get into the backfield or even hold the point of attack. Despite all the cool animations in the passing game you don’t even need to see them. Just run ISOs inside or Inside Zone runs out of the shotgun and you never need to pass. Three straight runs and you get a first down as you march down the field and score. I dropped the user run blocking to 0 and the same thing happens. I then changed it to All-Madden with user run blocking and my interior OL kept knocking the DTs back as I continued to grind out first downs on the ground. I took Miami and had rushed for almost 200 yards against the Bills on All-Pro. Then in the second half with Cleveland against Philly I tried All-Madden with 0 run block and continued to stick it down their throats. It’s not like I’m running for 25 yards every time but when you can routinely pick up 3-6 yards every time it’s basically a money play. Running basic plays between the tackles should never be a money play and tackles for losses should happen more often. It makes third downs too easy to convert. I have begged EA to fix this but it’s still not. Very disappointed in this aspect of the game. This area killed M15 for me. I’m worried it will do the same for M16. If so I won’t be continuing my mistakes by buying Madden again for awhile. If they would only make the run blocking slider more powerful and tie it into the movement the OL gets I could fix this myself. But that slider still appears fairly useless. I’m frustrated.
    Last edited by Rudy; 08-27-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Catches definitely make a difference and you have to use them. Maybe not offline or playing CPU, but All-Madden if you don't choose the right catch it's a drop, incorrect reaction or you run out of bounds by the sideline.

If you try to RAC catch in traffic it will more than likely be dropped. Also pressing Possession or RAC in a jump ball situation the WR will just try to catch it as such. He will never leave the ground. However pressing Aggressive makes them go up for the catch obviously. Tried this with every type of WR...Megatron, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, Martavis Bryant, etc.

Possibly on the lower levels this is done for you but doesn't seem to be case on All-Madden in my number of games...sometimes the WR's will let the ball actually bounce off if you are between hitting Possession and RAC like I have done a few times. Screen plays also work better if you RAC catch. If you let the CPU decide for you it will be the delay transition upfield
    Last edited by skipwondah33; 08-27-2015 at 10:01 PM.