Thread: Air Raid - Everything You Need To Know

• Facebook
  • Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    Just something for anyone running the Air Raid to consider... in the article posted on page one of this thread, if you read all of it, you will find out that Leach/Mumme never "flipped" plays. Their reasoning - WR's would then have to learn two routes instead of just one. So... if you want to run the Air Raid and stay true to it - try running it w/ out flipping any plays. Gets a little more difficult than you might think...
    I have a system for how I call my Air Raid to stay true to the way Leach called, without flipping plays. Leach moved around the H and Z receivers to get his formations, X and Y were set. His base set was what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun - Spread Flex (& WK):

Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
         H                      Z
                  Q F
    When he wanted to create a 1x3 look, he would move H over for what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun 4WR Trey (& Str):

Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
                              H  Z
                  Q F
    When he wanted to go 3x1, he moved Z over to the left for what NCAA 13 calls Shotgun Trips Open (& Str):

Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
       H  Z                       
                  Q F
    When he went split backs with 1x2 receivers, he just slotted H into the backfield (Closest interpretation in NCAA 13 is Shotgun Split Offset or Shotgun Split Y-Flex:

HTML Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
                                Z  
                H Q F
    With split backs and a 2x1 receiver set, H would again be in the backfield, and he would move Z across to the left. In NCAA 13, there is no such formation without flipping. However, if you flip Shotgun Split Slot you can create this look, so anytime I call a play from Shotgun Split Slot I flip it:

Code:
    X         T G C G T    Y
         Z                       
                H Q F
    To add to the last formation, in the Washington State spring game he has added a pistol look that utilizes two backs. The only two Pistol formations in NCAA 13 that would work, Strong Slot and Weak Slot. I don't have Weak Slot, because it just doesn't have enough Air Raid concepts for me. Strong Slot I do have, and to get that 2x1 look I will flip that formation when I call plays from it.

He also never went 5-wide, so I don't.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 08-14-2012 at 04:33 AM.