Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden NFL 17 - General Impressions & Game Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    I played a half of one game (All-Pro, 15 min. Qtrs, :17 Accel. Clock).

There's not much that I can say that you don't already know, if you've watched the videos over the last week or so.

I'm very rusty and alot has changed as far as controls in the last 5 years. I couldn't even figure out how to pump fake, lol. I couldn't run for shit but my passing was good. I'll get it figured out soon.

I guess about all that I can say is that the game does appear to be what I hoped for and I should be able to play some Franchise Mode and enjoy it.

Will post some impressions tomorrow sometime.

Quite alot that I love all Gameplay related as that's all I've done.

As I figured the commentary and team are very solid. Much better than Nantz/Simms IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I played a half of one game (All-Pro, 15 min. Qtrs, :17 Accel. Clock).

There's not much that I can say that you don't already know, if you've watched the videos over the last week or so.

I'm very rusty and alot has changed as far as controls in the last 5 years. I couldn't even figure out how to pump fake, lol. I couldn't run for shit but my passing was good. I'll get it figured out soon.

I guess about all that I can say is that the game does appear to be what I hoped for and I should be able to play some Franchise Mode and enjoy it.
    Haha, yeah, that was my problem this weekend. I am rusty as hell! So that certainly didn't help me while trying out how All-Madden played. But I'm definitely liking how this year plays. I think I see some heavy Franchise play in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Will post some impressions tomorrow sometime.

Quite alot that I love all Gameplay related as that's all I've done.

As I figured the commentary and team are very solid. Much better than Nantz/Simms IMO.
    Yeah, the new commentary and team is a nice and fresh change. Much better and a great change by EA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My second game I beat the Falcons 38-9 and rushed for 297 yards with the same sliders.

The combination of the learning curve and sliders is probably going to give me fits. But if I can get it right it will be worth it.

As you guys have said, the commentary is fantastic. I guess the 13th time's a charm!

SUCKS!

Just kidding, (old joke there).....I think I'm truly getting old, this is the first year in, as long as I can remember that I didn't pre-order a copy. I was waiting to hear and read reviews. From what I'm hearing it seems like this year is a good one for Madden.

I kinda torn though, I'm looking forward to NHL 17 and Fifa 17, I already have Battlefield 1 on pre-order so I don't know if I really want 4 new games all at once, I'm pretty sure BF1 will get the most of my game time. I've been playing a lot of MLB the Show 16, I really REALLY enjoy it.

Is Madden really a lot different? A lot better than say last year?

For me, I like The Show b/c I'm trying to unlock cards for my DD team, each game although it seems like the same game (it's baseball after-all) yet each game feels unique. Fifa and NHL have a similar feel, the last couple of years of Madden the problem I've had is each game feels like the last one. If I'm doing a season or franchise it seems like I find my "go to" plays and then I try and add in a few wrinkles but when the rubber meets the road I fall back onto my trusty plays. Is this years game different in that respect?

I think what I'm trying to put my finger on is, how do y'all feel about the "replay-ability/longevity" of this game?

Thank you.

After reading through y'alls posts I might go pick it up today after I get my kids from school.

As far as the kicking game goes, I think it's nice they it's sounds like it's harder. In the NFL I don't know the accurate stats, but they do actually miss from time to time, and they have quite a few blocked, same goes for punts. In the past I would always think, "why in the heck can't you block a punt or FG attempt?" I never got close, it seemed like the people that did had some sort of glitch. It's nice they've added that aspect to the game. I hope it's not over-powering but glad it's in the game.

In the past few seasons I've seen my real-life Texans lose many games b/c they failed on the PAT or shanked 35+ yard FG tries.

Gotta talk to the "boss" now.

NFL kickers make around 80% of their kicks now. Crazy how good they are but it shouldn't be automatic. My concern was always how easy it was for the user and the lack of franchise sliders for both me and the cpu made it impossible to fix. A late game winning FG should be tense and exciting but it was automatic. It will be with the Tampa Kicker taken in the 2nd round. He's been shank city! I hate drafting kickers. I'd always stash one on my PS the year before my guy is in a contract year. No real position PS players become good so why not try and develop a kicker in that spot? Olindo Mare was a PS kicker.

Just popped it in at home. Will get some games in once the patch updates. Even though I'm awful rusty I am going to start on All-Madden. If I get killed I will drop down but I heard too many complaints about how bad the cpu running game is on all-pro. My passing game may really struggle. I also need to print up a new cover since I can't take Gronk being on my disc in his stupid Pats uniform.
    Last edited by Rudy; 08-23-2016 at 04:15 PM.

Lost my first game on All-Madden against the Bills. Blew an XP and it came back to bite me as they scored a TD with under 2 minutes left to win 13-9. I got down inside their 10 but no dice. Did not play with the patch so I don't know how much actual gameplay was changed but I didn't see a lot of WR drops. I didn't see any QB inaccuracies either. That slider needs to be dropped quite a bit imo. The cpu running game was weak on All-Madden as I held McCoy to 16 carries and 24 yards. I didn't run well either but that was partially due to rust. Not much pass rush on either side but I didn't find all-madden to be that strong. I did find the home team boos a bit too much. I can understand if you are getting killed but not on a dropped pass on a potential game winning drive. They were booing me during the intro Rams-Was game!

Commentary is good. Liked the feel of tackling and pile ups. Need to play more.

Alright, just got back from Gamestop, bought the Xbox1 version, it's loading the update now.

I've got a ? for y'all. I figure there are 2 ways to look at this, 1) they want to sell more more more or 2) I'm a frequent customer and they did me a favor. You make the call.....

First off, I always shop at this Gamestop and they know me there, I'm pretty regular.

I go in 15 mins before they close tonight, a new guy is behind the counter. I walk up and ask if they have Madden 17 for Xbox 1?
    He asks if I pre-ordered it.
    I said no.
    He tells me they only have the deluxe edition left, it's $80. Then tells me they should have more regular copies in by Friday.
    The usual guy walks out, assistant manager and says Hi, then the new guy looks at me and says, you wanna go ahead and get the deluxe edition?
    I tell him no thanks I'll wait until Friday.
    He looks at the assistant manager and the assistant says, go ahead.
    The guy opens up the drawer and I saw atleast 100 copies, if not more for Xbox1.

I thanked them and left with my copy. It's nice and all to think they did me a favor, but I also wonder if they are taking advantage of people with that "sales pitch". I mean if you pre-ordered the game why wouldn't you pick it up last night or sometime today? Why pre-order it and then not pick it up, not that many extra copies worth?

I'm asking y'all do you think they were being nice to me or do you think they are working people over? If they're working people over I'll take my business elsewhere. It really doesn't matter to me, I know Target and Walmart have the game and I could have gone there to buy it but I prefer Gamestop, this location on top of that. I half way thought about pre-ordering BF1 for Xbox1 but thought I'll wait. I already have it pre-ordered for PS4, but if this is how they treat their customers, maybe it's time for me to shop elsewhere.

I just thought it was strange, if they only had 5 or so left I could understand the rational, but when is saw an entire drawer full, that made me think...hmmmmmmmmm?????

Any thoughts?

At my EB Games (where Madden is a lot less popular than in the US) they had 60 copies on order when I pre-ordered last week and 48 were pre-orders. They only had 12 for walk ins and told me they could only reserve a standard edition and not deluxe lol. I'm guessing they gave you someone's pre-order possibly. I don't know if they were trying to screw you over or not.

Well I played 2.5 games tonight and I'm pretty happy. Quite surprised at how easy All-Madden seems after the dev team said all-pro was hard. Don't quite understand. Running is hard and the cpu really struggles, even on default all-madden. I think the QB accuracy slider needs to come down to 10, maybe less on All-Madden to see errant passes.

I should say I have played all my games on Slow. Couldn't imagine it being any faster. I'm quite rusty as I can't remember all the controls and audible options. I'm going to have to download the manual and read over some things. I can't even remember how to spotlight a WR or use smart routes on 3rd downs. I am clueless when I play as a DL since I get stonewalled a lot; can't remember what I'm doing there either.

While some have criticized the line play I think it is the best this generation. The inside running isn't over powered and I see a lot more movement in the blocks resulting in cut back lanes. It's a lot more fun to run when each play is a little different. Here is a cool run with Ezekiel Elliot. I did nothing special but people got jammed up and I popped it.

I have lost against the Bills with the Dolphins, played a low scoring, boring half with the 49ers against the Raiders and played a really fun, high scoring game with the Cowboys vs the Steelers. You can really tell the difference between an elite WR and a mediocre one. A great one really helps your offense. And having a great Cowboys OL made this the first game where my RB really did some nice things. Getting used to the moves still.

So far so good. Happy with my purchase at the moment.

Oh - punt returners will go back and try to return kicks inside the 5 yard line. Happened to me in one game and I gave up a safety as a result. Can't go to sleep on those plays and have to take over the returner to prevent that from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    I just thought it was strange, if they only had 5 or so left I could understand the rational, but when is saw an entire drawer full, that made me think...hmmmmmmmmm?????

Any thoughts?
    Honestly? Next time buy it from Wal-Mart or Target. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but I think Gamestop is the worst place to buy new games. I think they tried to pull a fast one on you. The old "better put $5 down and pre-order now to ensure a copy" gimmick may have worked years ago, but it's just not necessary.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, all new/newly released games are just $48, unless a deluxe or special edition, and even they are reduced in price. That's the best deal out there IMO and brick & mortar retailers are insistent (clueless?) on not even trying to combat them. I think there are enough people who prefer to buy in person (I totally understand why & respect that), so they will keep trying to run rackets like this until the well dries up.

Funny thing is EB Games over here - at least the location I go to - is pretty cool. And Amazon.ca shipping blows. I've had a long pre-ordered game shipped more than a week after release day. They do that on purpose to push me to Prime which I refuse. Bestbuy.ca gives free, release day shipping (I'm only 3 hours from their warehouse so normally free shipping is sent out the night before and I get it next day) and if the money is the same I go with them or EB over Amazon. Trouble is Amazon often has the best deal.

Quick impressions, just did the opening scenario, I was really surprised when coach called a 2 point play. I picked the throw to Austin but the DB broke up the pass, it was cool to have that much "nerves" that soon into the game.

Then I did the recommended tutorials and the game seems really smooth. I like how it doesn't seem like blocking a punt of FG try is automatic, but it does feel like you do have a chance. I hope in the long run it's not over powering but I can see where it will make a difference, bring more strategy into play. I also really like the options on the punts, sky and backspin. Last year I was all about the coffin corner kicks, this only makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Honestly? Next time buy it from Wal-Mart or Target. I don't know how it is elsewhere, but I think Gamestop is the worst place to buy new games. I think they tried to pull a fast one on you. The old "better put $5 down and pre-order now to ensure a copy" gimmick may have worked years ago, but it's just not necessary.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, all new/newly released games are just $48, unless a deluxe or special edition, and even they are reduced in price. That's the best deal out there IMO and brick & mortar retailers are insistent (clueless?) on not even trying to combat them.
    Best Buy has the Gamer's Club Unlocked Membership, which also makes the game $48. I also think they were trying to screw you over gigem.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Not going to lie, this game feels exactly the same as 6 years ago. Same bullshit CPU crap that you have to put up with on All-Madden. Can't just play a game without a LB warping and leaping 10 feet in the air to tip a pass that falls directly into another LB's hands that magically intercepts the ball even though the dude couldn't catch a damn cold in real life. It's the same shit as always in the end. Sigh. Immediately remember why I haven't touched video game football in ages.

Best simulation version of Madden in many years. Some tweaks here and there sure, but out of the gate plays very well. Comparing it to the past 8 versions so. My experience only comes from playing UvU on All-Madden. Did play 1 ranked game which even didn't feel too bad on All-Pro.

Hopefully game does not get neutered because the majority thinks it's too difficult like I'm already hearing. "Kicking is too hard now", "QB fumbles to much when I try to throw last minute like I've been able to do for years and it only be an incomplete pass", "Pass rush gets in too fast", "I can't just run Inside Zone all game from Gun Trips Offset"

Of course these aren't the actual worded complaints, but similar.

Gameplay

Gap Play
    - Really love the Gap play that I am seeing. Guys actually try to follow their assignment instead of just running mindlessly to ball carrier all of the time. This allows for runs that previously dominated the game the past 2-3 versions to be defended with stock plays, instead of having to put together Mortal Kombat fatality combinations via hot routes to stop them.

OL/DL

- Last year OL and DL ratings didn't appear to matter IMO. A terrible OL could block like a great one and a great OL would block terribly. Through 15+ games against other users, I can definitely tell the difference of having a terrible OL vs a good DL, and vice versa.

For example I played with Seattle vs Texans. Everyone knows Seattle's OL is terrible and it definitely showed. Regardless of what JJ Watt was at the Line he dominated his matchup if he was blocked straight up and often times when he was double teamed. I must have been sacked or hit while throwing 5-6 times in the 1st half (had to stop game to eat). Often times in previous versions he may as well be another guy because you wouldn't feel his presence. The rush came in as quick as it should have I felt. Had another game with me as the Jets vs Cowboys. Had some neutral plays, but most of the time if Sheldon Richardson wasn't double teamed he destroyed Doug Free. Other times the Cowboys Line showed their dominance in matchups. The pass rush is definitely quick on All-Madden UvU especially when blitzing and having favorable matchups.

Playcalling & Assignments (Defense)

- Last version you were rarely rewarded for choosing the correct stock play call for situations/concepts and plays. Didn't matter if the playcall and execution was all perfect, players did not play to their assignment and weren't aware of what the other was doing. This relates to Gap assignments and Coverage.

I have already seen on many occasions of stock plays and assignments executed as they should successful or not, play out as intended. When I play I'm use to making at minimum of 5-6 adjustments to any given play, something I still will do to create unique looks. However simply calling the correct play and having your guys follow their assignment, when executed properly is lovely to see. Which leads me to assignments when user controlling a player.

In the past controlling a LB or Safety on a stock blitz was about the same odds as only betting one number playing Roulette (in my experience). For example the popular, successful Mike/Will Cross Blitz by Dick LeBeau and Pittsburgh. If you manually controlled one of the blitzing LB's the chances of that blitz working were impossible damn near. I've tried that blitz by manually controlling the LB for as long as I can remember. The only way it could work was letting the AI execute the blitz. *Note I never tried using "defensive assist" where you just hold a button and the CPU does it for you. Now if the OL does not account for the blitz, execution and timing goes well you can manually follow your assignment with this along with other blitzes. I control a LB/MLB 99.6% of the time so love that. Same with following your gap assignment against the run. When you don't do what you are suppose to you will be penalized. When you do and it works out love the reward and risk of doing so.

Kicking

- Love everything about kick meter and difficulty. From the vibration and having to manually aim the kick. One thing I do wish they removed was the kick arc somehow. Just make it real difficult. I'm already pretty proficient with it after so many games, but I still miss a PAT every now and again when I relax. Already have missed more FG's/PAT's than I have in 10+ years of both Madden and NCAA. I fear EA will cater to the masses as they did back on Madden 10 when the kick bar was introduced. Again though alot of that was lag induced. Tried the "pressure moment" kick by calling a TO but my modem rebooted kicking me out of the game when I forced my opponent to kick that way.

Had an XP blocked as my opponent timed it up nicely. As always I relaxed on kicking the XP like it was done years before without a care in the world. I have a pattern of kicking the FG around the same time every time because we have been able to kick without thinking for years.

Like the fact that you just can't "aim low and let it go" anymore.

Coverage

-
    Enjoy seeing and using the new coverages. Nice to have Buzz Zones/Curl-Flat zones work this version. They did not last version. Also nice to see players work in relation to what the other is doing. When using hybrid coverage the zone assignment does not appear to get confused with the man coverage assignment. Example last version if there was both man and zone coverage on one side of the field, a zone defender would abandon his deeper Buzz coverage assignment to cover a receiver who was defended by man in the flat. So instead of covering a Corner route from a TE, he would leave that open to go to the flat.

Run game

- Like the run game, trying to find holes that aren't predestined to open up. I'm not much of a runner, mostly because I just love to throw the ball and not very patient at running much. I do feel in control of the RB unlike the past 2 versions when I never felt in control when running. Have my feelings that it would be very easy to run with all the new ball carrier moves and other things, but it actually isn't easy which I chalk up to the gap assignments/play actually working as intended. Gun Inside Zone is defended FAR better than it has in been past 2 years. It was comical how much one run from one formation was able to be used to no end without a true way of stopping it. Without 6 different hot route adjustments. This regardless of what OL you had.

Additional stuff

- Commentary as said before is great, what a difference that can make. Learned something I didn't know about Antonio Brown from it.

- Just found out that there is a "give yourself up" option by the QB. Also known the Tom Brady and Peyton Manning go to move...still salty about that BS Manning got away with

You can do this with the QB instead of taking a huge hit

- Little thing, I like that in the Highlights the game now shows you who defended/deflected a pass. Though you can't see the replay, just a nice little add to me.

- Love the new plays and formations added to the game. Cover 3 Match and Cover 2 Carry are two of my favorites. Also like the built in hybrids in the game.

- Some don't like the fumbles by the QB, but I do. In the past you could get away with throwing in a crowded area or while getting hit without consequence. Now the fear of strips, pop hits, etc makes that risky. Getting an incompletion every time the QB should have been sacked was a pain. Now it's rewarding to see the possibility of a strip. I have caused fumbles when looking over the replay several times it should indeed been a fumble. When the QB's arm is going back and it hit. Other times you can see where the QB's arm is moving forward and it is not a fumble.

- "Nano Detection". Like that this was programmed into the game, although it likely wouldn't have been of any effect to me since not many ranked games are played. Really just like it because it shows/hints at the direction this Madden team wants to go.

Final Thoughts

Long winded thoughts on the game, but overall I am very impressed with this version of the game. As I said some tweaks here and there are needed but that is to be expected. Still would like to see less suction/warp catching by WR's.

Stock out of the box though this is the best simulation version of Madden.

Don't have any Franchise, MUT or Draft Champion impressions because those are modes I do not play unfortunately. Will post more stuff when I have time and have played 50 or so more games. Want to play more games with different times than I have already played with.