Thread: NPD Sales July 2016

• Facebook
  • Display

NPD Sales July 2016

Microsoft was so happy it posted it's win a week before the NPD numbers actually come out.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/...-spot-for-july

Xbox One was the top-selling console for July, unseating Sony's PS4 from its long-held spot at the top.

In a statement from Microsoft ahead of next week's public NPD Group numbers, the company championed its console, saying it's "honored that Xbox One was the best-selling console in the U.S." for the month, and the hours gamers spent on all Xbox consoles across the globe "were up 18 percent" over the same period last year.
    Almost a year in second place and the irony is that none of the sales were from the New Xbox One S, which started selling this month. So it looks like MS is going to be on a streak.

Same month I purchased another Xbox One. Coincidence?

Competition is good and we really needed a post that had nothing to do with No Mans Sky.

If any single thread will bring CLW out of retirement, it's this one.

NSFW
    Spoiler: show
    Last edited by jaymo76; 08-11-2016 at 11:04 PM.

I'm glad. It's time Sony cut the price on the ps4 and/or offered good bundles. Over here I saw xbox one bundles for $319 and they included games along with them. If you are new to next Gen it was an easy choice if money is an issue. Ps4 still $429 with no games. That's too high. September seems to be a time for price cuts and maybe we will see one when they announce the Neo.

Jaymo are the wife and kids on vacation? Cause you seem to be really hitting those boob bouncing sites pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Jaymo are the wife and kids on vacation? Cause you seem to be really hitting those boob bouncing sites pretty hard.
    LOL. Nah, my wife doesn't really care too much about that. Truth is that it's been so hot that the kids are outside and the cpu is actually free.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I'm glad. It's time Sony cut the price on the ps4 and/or offered good bundles. Over here I saw xbox one bundles for $319 and they included games along with them. If you are new to next Gen it was an easy choice if money is an issue. Ps4 still $429 with no games. That's too high. September seems to be a time for price cuts and maybe we will see one when they announce the Neo.
    I bought the PS4 a year before the wife picked me up an xbox one. At the time I thought PS4 was a better deal. Since last fall however, XBOX has gone all out with excellent deals. Right now I give XBOX1 the edge for two reasons: Gold is far better value AND EA ACCESS is only on XBOX. In addition, I use the XBOX upstairs for everything as I run my TV through it while the PS4 downstairs is only on if I am playing a game. Until No Man's Sky had released I was exclusively playing on XBOX.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I bought the PS4 a year before the wife picked me up an xbox one. At the time I thought PS4 was a better deal. Since last fall however, XBOX has gone all out with excellent deals. Right now I give XBOX1 the edge for two reasons: Gold is far better value AND EA ACCESS is only on XBOX. In addition, I use the XBOX upstairs for everything as I run my TV through it while the PS4 downstairs is only on if I am playing a game. Until No Man's Sky had released I was exclusively playing on XBOX.
    Yeah, I've barely turned my PS4 on, maybe only twice, in probably 5 months. Xbox has had a ton of great sales, plus EA Access, to where i have about 6 or 7 games just waiting for me to play them, on top of what's coming out this fall. Outside of something like MLB The Show and Final Fantasy games, I haven't had much desire or reason to turn my PS4 on since Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can you get EA Access without having xbox gold if you just want to play offline? It would be nice to have EA Access on ps4.

Can you get EA Access without having xbox gold if you just want to play offline? It would be nice to have EA Access on ps4.
    Yeah, I believe you don't need gold to have EA Access. I don't think you will ever see it on PS4. It really is a great deal. I pay once up front for the year and I'm good to go.

I've always been a Sony guy and the original XBox being a RROD piece of garbage has always kept me to the Sony side. I doubt I'd get an XBox One simply because there are more exclusives on the Sony side that I personally like and almost none on the MS side. GOW doesn't interest me. Trying to think of any other games I'd like to have on the XBox but I just don't see a reason for me to drop $400 on another console when I don't need it for any of my gaming needs.

I've always been a Sony guy and the original XBox being a RROD piece of garbage has always kept me to the Sony side. I doubt I'd get an XBox One simply because there are more exclusives on the Sony side that I personally like and almost none on the MS side. GOW doesn't interest me. Trying to think of any other games I'd like to have on the XBox but I just don't see a reason for me to drop $400 on another console when I don't need it for any of my gaming needs.
    Does CLW PM you things to say since he as been gone? The original Xbox was not a RROD piece of garbage. It did not even have a RROD. You are thinking about the 360, the second console. The one that despite the RROD, was still a far better console than the PS3 equivalent. Honestly if you have never owned an Xbox how do you know there are not exclusives that would interest you? Not that I care what console(s) you own, just wanted to clean up the misinformation.

Sorry. Was wrong on that. But my brother has had both systems including the original xbox and 360. Know quite a few people that had many issues with both systems. My bother had his share of issues as does a Co worker.

As for exclusive titles I read up on all video games. And many games like Halo or Gears of War are games my brother has had, I've tried and just don't care about. I'm not a shooter gamer. I even have a 360 in my house for the kids. Was a gift from my inlaws. For Sony I like Uncharted and the Show as options for me. Most games made are available on both systems. I'm not a blind fan boy. It's not like I have sat here and trashed the xbox one. But I have owned all the different play stations and never had an issue with the hardware. I trust them.

I personally don't like owning two consoles just to play a couple exclusives. Too expensive, especially with online fees for both imo.

I don't get butt hurt over these discussions. CLW was WAY too sensitive and bothered over this. It seems you are leaning that way too. People can buy and support what they want. I like competition.
    Last edited by Rudy; 08-13-2016 at 08:06 PM.

Nope, as I mentioned in the last post, really could care less what systems you own. Just making a correction and observation. I only get bothered when someone pledges an undying loyalty to a piece of plastic. Plus you did say "I am a Sony guy, followed by calling the 360 system a piece of garbage." Your words, not mine and why I brought up CLW in the first place as it sounded all too familiar. I have owned and enjoyed both systems, so to say I am leaning toward the way CLW acts could not be further from the truth. My mantra has always been to play the games, not the system.

Spoiler: show
    Unless you were referring to the way he got pissed off and left the forum, then yes there are similarities between us.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 08-13-2016 at 11:51 PM.

I still maintain the 360 issues were terrible. MS knowingly released a faulty console to gain market share. Only after a class action lawsuit did they extend their warranty. That pissed me off and I lost almost all trust in them after that. There was no question that multi party games usually looked and played better on the 360. But those hardware issues were really bad. At least the xbox one after two years seems fine.

My son has friends that are hardcore xbox guys and will probably upgrade to the xbox one soon. My son will then probably beg to get one just to play with them. I'm not paying for two online video game services. I don't even own a cell phone! I refuse to pay monthly fees! Let's just say I'm frugal although having my wife return to work part time the last two years has helped us breathe a lot easier.

I still maintain the 360 issues were terrible. MS knowingly released a faulty console to gain market share. Only after a class action lawsuit did they extend their warranty. That pissed me off and I lost almost all trust in them after that. There was no question that multi party games usually looked and played better on the 360. But those hardware issues were really bad. At least the xbox one after two years seems fine.

My son has friends that are hardcore xbox guys and will probably upgrade to the xbox one soon. My son will then probably beg to get one just to play with them. I'm not paying for two online video game services. I don't even own a cell phone! I refuse to pay monthly fees! Let's just say I'm frugal although having my wife return to work part time the last two years has helped us breathe a lot easier.
    I suffered from RROD as well. It was my first time with xbox and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I was 100% opposed to getting another xbox in the future. The surprise from my wife for Xmas a few years back was a real eye opener for how much xbox has improved since 360. Xbox is a tv/entertainment console while PS4 is a gaming console. They are both great systems. Xbox has outstanding deals when leading up to xmas time. If your son wants to upgrade, then would be the time.

This made me laugh.

As compared to 10 years ago, both systems are phenomenal. You cannot go wrong with either.

Info was finally released.

Overall:

July retail game sales are down 14% year over year.

Hardware was down 30% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were down 5% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales were down 12% year over year.

Software:

Grand Theft Auto V
    Overwatch *
    Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    Monster Hunter: Generations **
    Call of Duty: Black Ops III
    Minecraft **
    NBA 2K16
    Doom 2016 **
    Destiny: The Taken King
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege

*No Battle.net sales
    **No digital sales

Notes:
    - “The best-selling new release for the month was Monster Hunter: Generations for the 3DS; but that sold 52 percent fewer dollars than last July’s new game, Rory Mcllory PGA Tour, which released for the PS4 and Xbox One,” said Naji.
    - “The lack of strong new releases for the month resulted in a poorer comparison year-on-year, and the top 10 games for July 2016 generated 21 percent fewer dollar sales than they did last year.”

Hardware:

3DS: #1 platform
    XB1: #1 console platform

NBA 2K16 is a beast. It's July and still in the top 10. Minecraft is Minecraft even without digital sales.

Not to mention GTA V at #1. They will be in no hurry to push out GTA VI or even the next Red Dead until sales tail off.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Not to mention GTA V at #1. They will be in no hurry to push out GTA VI or even the next Red Dead until sales tail off.
    Maybe... But gamer tastes can change quickly with one major release. I would not expect a new GTA for a few years but Red Dead has to be soon as they have major momentum from the backwards compatible launch (xbox1).