Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 4 Discussion (2010)

• Facebook
  • Display

Week 4 Discussion (2010)

TV Games

Well, early Saturday definitely sucks for good games, at least in terms of games I'm interested in. Maybe this Saturday I'll be able to go to sleep at 10am after getting home from my Saturday morning show and after 24 hours straight of being awake. Get some sleep, be up and awake for the 3:30 games. Unlike yesterday when I did not go to sleep at all until around 11pm last night, after having been awake non-stop since clear back at 7am on Friday, thanks to all the good games on TV.

As for this week, games I'm looking forward to:

Miami (FL) at Pittsburgh
    TCU at SMU
    Stanford at Notre Dame
    Alabama at Arkansas
    UCLA at Texas
    Nevada at BYU
    Oklahoma at Cincinnati
    South Carolina at Auburn
    Oregon St. at Boise St.
    West Virginia at LSU
    California at Arizona
    Oregon at Arizona St.

Eastern Michigan / Ohio State at 3:30 is ridiculous.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

The injury bug has hit Houston. Case Keenum is now out for the rest of the season with a torn ACL and the backup Cotton Turner is out with a broken clavicle. I am interested in seeing how they play the rest of the year.

Nothing against Keenum, but somebody really needed to teach that boy how to either tackle or how to not let his competitive nature get the better of him and have him going after players to try and make tackles. First he gets a concussion trying to make a tackle after an interception, now he's out for the season with a torn ACL after trying to make a tackle after an interception. Two injuries that would not have happened if he had not tried to make the tackles.

Didn't see the one he got concussed on, but that tackle attempt last night was ... well ... not exactly a form tackle.

Can't blame the guy for trying ... and no one, no one on that team would fight for anybody who didn't even try.

Oh I don't blame him for trying either, but as a QB, you do need to be a bit smarter when it comes to attempting to tackle people, especially one week after a tackle attempt caused you to get a concussion. Now all of his Heisman hopes, his NCAA record hopes, everything is gone for the season. Even worse for Houston, their 2nd stringer is gone for the season as well. From the reports I have been seeing, it looks like a freshman is going to be the new starter. So now the question, how good is Houston going to be without Keenum?

I think we saw the answer to that Saturday night. They got shelled by UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I think we saw the answer to that Saturday night. They got shelled by UCLA.
    True, but UCLA isn't exactly a push-over. They got off to a rough start on the season, but I can see them maybe getting 5 or 6 wins for the year if they pull it all together and play decent the rest of the year. I know I certainly am writing off Houston as the front-runner for the CUSA title. I don't think they'll get rolled over in every single game this season, but I also don't see then winning 10+ games, nor even making it to the CUSA title game. I think SMU just became the new top dog in the CUSA West this season.

No, UCLA isn't a pushover ... but still. You still expect more than 3 points from a Houston team. Their offense is going to struggle now, and I don't think they have any more defense than they have in the past few seasons.

True, though granted, who knows, this freshman could be the second coming of Steve Young for all we know. Though I doubt it. I think Houston will still win enough games to be bowl eligible (they only need 4 more), but they don't even sniff 10 wins, nor, like I said, do they sniff the CUSA title game. The CUSA West just became SMU's to lose.

So whoever is giving Texas the first place vote in the AP, is he the same guy giving them the #1 vote in our polls too?

Just saw on Twitter from College Football Live that Oregon State is painting their practice field blue to prepare for Boise

This is why the Coaches Poll and the AP Poll are worthless in my opinion. The coaches poll remains hidden until the completion of the regular season, so who knows how coaches are voting during the season (but I would guess its pretty dirty and unfair). When their vote is revealed, there are numerous question marks over how certain coaches voted and you can see the "buddy-buddy, wink-wink, nod-nod" thing going on from coaches who have worked together and coaches who've been fired from other universities seem to have their former schools much lower than they deserve. The AP is just as bad. Some writers take their job seriously while others pay homage to their school or just flat don't give a shit. As much as I hate to say it, leave it to the computers to figure out. At least their vote is objective and doesn't come attached with the bullshit.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy38 View Post
    This is why the Coaches Poll and the AP Poll are worthless in my opinion. The coaches poll remains hidden until the completion of the regular season, so who knows how coaches are voting during the season (but I would guess its pretty dirty and unfair). When their vote is revealed, there are numerous question marks over how certain coaches voted and you can see the "buddy-buddy, wink-wink, nod-nod" thing going on from coaches who have worked together and coaches who've been fired from other universities seem to have their former schools much lower than they deserve. The AP is just as bad. Some writers take their job seriously while others pay homage to their school or just flat don't give a shit. As much as I hate to say it, leave it to the computers to figure out. At least their vote is objective and doesn't come attached with the bullshit.
    The problem with the computers is it's programmed by someone and by being programmed by someone you have their inherent biases. It's easy for someone in the Big 12 to say just leave it to the computers but what about those teams that play the schedule they've got and go undefeated yet are left out because of bullshit?

The computers screwed WVU out of a chance at the National Championship in '93 against Nebraska because it favored a 1 loss Florida State team over an undefeated WVU. I'd rather human people look at it and truthfully ascertain which team looks to deserve the shot more than just have a computer decide that has no way or knowing how one team played compared to another.

I mean, sure, in the end, I'd rather have a playoff, but if we have to play the bullshit polls game, then as long as it's not just computers deciding, I'm sorta ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    The computers screwed WVU out of a chance at the National Championship in '93 against Nebraska because it favored a 1 loss Florida State team over an undefeated WVU. I'd rather human people look at it and truthfully ascertain which team looks to deserve the shot more than just have a computer decide that has no way or knowing how one team played compared to another.
    There were no computers in the Bowl Coalition in 1993. It was the AP Poll that chose Florida State over West Virginia. Florida State was actually #1 headed into the bowls ... it was in the Coaches Poll that they weren't. No computers.

The upside of the computers is that many of them have their formulas posted online, and you won't have stupid stuff like "we voted Team X as #2 so we won't get a rematch". There's at least consistency in how the teams are evaluated.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 09-23-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    So whoever is giving Texas the first place vote in the AP, is he the same guy giving them the #1 vote in our polls too?
    Scott Wolf: http://www.pollspeak.com/pollstalker...0&v=57&w=3&r=V

Texas #1, Florida #3, Ohio State #7, LSU #11, Florida State #19, North Carolina #21, Wisconsin #22 and Michigan unranked.

Clearly, no love for the Big Ten.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Tonight's game between SMU and TCU should be a lot of fun. So far it's 0-0 with 11 and some change left in the first.

Good showcase of the Spread and Run and Shoot offenses.

Damnit, I knew I forgetting a game tonight. Thanks mors!

Big week for Arkansas State... not only are we on the road (where we can't win) but we also face Troy this week. Our offense has been cruising as has Troy's... but neither team seems to be able to find a defense. If the total score is under 70, I'll be surprised. If you want to see an offensive explosion with the #4 passing offense (ASU) vs the #9 passing offense (Troy), it's on Comcast & Cox Sports at 2:30 ct.