Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PH'15: Season 5 Recruiting

• Facebook
  • Display

PH'15: Season 5 Recruiting

KU starts the season off with a bang, bringing in five recruits for the Week 4 home game against Alabama, and all five left Lawrence with commitments to be Jayhawks. Let's meet them now.

MLB
    OLB

#827 #55ATH
    Matt Murphy is the lowest ranked of the Jayhawk 5, but his athletic skills give him a good upside potential. With a 6-2, 239 lb frame, Murphy has the build to be a middle linebacker, and that's where coaches expect to play him when he arrives in Lawrence. Murphy's athletic skills outclass the local competition in Michigan, so he is frequently able to go around blocks rather than through them. As such, Murphy needs to learn the proper techniques for getting off blocks, so he will be a project at the next level for KU coaches. But he is well-rounded in other areas, so he could see duty in certain passing situation packages.

Murphy will certainly take a redshirt year next season. He chose KU over Hawai'i, Ohio and Arizona State.
    SS
    FS

#198 #3SS
    JR Malone is the prototypical strong safety that newly hired defensive backs coach Clay Jennings likes to build a 4-2-5 defense around. Malone may not be the fastest or flashiest recruit at strong safety, but he checked off all the boxes for the KU coaching staff, and they were happy to bring him in. In Malone, KU will get a player with all-around good athletic skills, plus the ability to find the ball carrier and bring him down. Rashad Alston, Ohio State's standout safety on their first national championship team under Coach Jeff HCross, draws comparisons to Malone. Malone could be looked at as a possible FS instead of SS, depending on other signees and how they best fit into the Jayhawk defense.

Malone has a logjam of talent in front of him, so he has plenty of time to redshirt and catch up to the speed at the next level. Malone chose KU over Arkansas State and Wisconsin.
    QB
    WR

#272 #44ATH
    After moving from a 5-wide, oop-dee-oop offense the first few seasons under Coach Jerry Branwer, to a more spread-to-run running and option attack toward the end of last season, KU coaches were very interested in bringing in an athletic quarterback to build around for the future. Not only did the coaches find an athlete, that athlete stands 6-4 and has the strength to take the hits that such a quarterback will inevitably take. Johnson excelled at The Opening in the 40, 3-cone and 10-yd shuttle drills, standing out despite running those drills with wide receivers. Johnson then turned heads when he asked event organizers if the could throw with the quarterbacks during 7-on-7. Johnson might not have the most powerful arm, but his touch on passes was very evident in 7-on-7, as he frequently dropped passes to his target between the linebacker and safety. Depending on other signees and the offensive direction of KU next season, the 6-4 Johnson may either be slotted as a QB or WR. Johnson projects as a 73 OVR at QB and 75 OVR at WR.

With current backup Adam Maynard the heir apparent at QB, and four freshmen WRs on the depth chart, Johnson will definitely redshirt regardless of position. Johnson chose KU over Arizona and Arizona State.
    HB
    WR
    QB

#73 #24ATH
    Another athlete with multiple position possibilities comes to Lawrence, Kansas. Terry Oliver, much like Brad Johnson who we just discussed, is a player that impressed at the regional Opening event in Austin, TX, and impressed coaches by performing drills with multiple position groups. Oliver displayed an above-average ability in all the skills necessary to play QB, HB, or WR. He impressed so much that 247 has Oliver rated as a five-star, Top100 prospect, though his 247Composite rating is only 4-stars, so that's what we reflect here. His height would be a challenge when trying to make throws from the pocket, but players like Doug Flutie, Russell Wilson and Johnny Manziel have proven that it can be done. Like those players, Oliver would possess an ability to escape the pocket and make plays with his legs. However, it's exactly that ability to make plays running, not throwing, that has KU coaches interested. A backfield with Oliver and Johnson would be a two-headed monster, KU coaches feel. Like Johnson, depending on other recruits this season, Oliver may be positioned at QB, HB, or even WR. Oliver projects as a 79 OVR HB, a 75 OVR QB and a 75 OVR WR.

Despite his talent, Oliver is extremely likely to redshirt next season. Oliver chose KU over Arkansas, rival Missouri and UL-Monroe.
    FS
    SS
    CB

#285 #13CB
    Now we get to the star (so far) of this class. Higgins caused some controversy when he announced his committment to KU, as he was expected to visit Jonesboro, AR just the next week. There were rumblings on several message boards that perhaps the KU coaches had unfairly manipulated Higgins into signing. But for whatever the reason, Higgins chose to come to Lawrence, and in him the KU coaching staff will get an elite athlete with top-end speed, a solid ability to quickly change direction, and one of the best first steps in this year's defensive class. He is also extremely impressive in the angles he takes to the ball carrier, and his ability to recognize play action passes. Higgins is nominally a CB at the high-school level, but will probably be looked at as a Free Safety when he comes to KU. Higgins projects as an 81 OVR FS.

Higgins may redshirt next season, or he may see work in select packages. Higgins chose KU over Arkansas State, Houston, Texas and LSU.

Name Pos (Orig) Caliber OVR Committed
    Mark Higgins FS (CB)
    81 (FS) Week 4
    Terry Oliver HB (ATH)
    79 (HB) Week 4
    Brad Johnson QB (ATH)
    73 (QB) Week 4
    JR Malone SS
    73 Week 4
    Matt Murphy MLB (ATH)
    66 Week 4
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Nice work, Jeff.

How do you get those projected OVRs? I assume you have a formula. Just curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Nice work, Jeff.

How do you get those projected OVRs? I assume you have a formula. Just curious. Thanks!
    Create the player in TeamBuilder. I personally have a "next season" team on TeamBuilder that I'm always updating; only thing lacking is progression results.

I put recruits that I feel I have a good chance at signing there so that I can then take them on the practice field and see how they translate. It also helps determining whether an ATH can be a really good QB or if he needs to play a different position. Two tips: 1) AWR ratings for recruits typically are around 50... some higher, some lower 2) Safeties are about 3-4 OVR points lower on TeamBuilder than they are in-game.

I was actually never recruiting Malone, Jeff. I added him to my scout list because I saw he was interested but I never gave him any points. Took him off the board in Week 3.

Nice pick up though

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Create the player in TeamBuilder. I personally have a "next season" team on TeamBuilder that I'm always updating; only thing lacking is progression results.

I put recruits that I feel I have a good chance at signing there so that I can then take them on the practice field and see how they translate. It also helps determining whether an ATH can be a really good QB or if he needs to play a different position. Two tips: 1) AWR ratings for recruits typically are around 50... some higher, some lower 2) Safeties are about 3-4 OVR points lower on TeamBuilder than they are in-game.
    Thanks, Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    I was actually never recruiting Malone, Jeff. I added him to my scout list because I saw he was interested but I never gave him any points. Took him off the board in Week 3.

Nice pick up though
    I didn't say anything about an offer, Skip

steeler, I personally just created the players in Edit Rosters. It's not as quick as TeamBuilder, but it did let me quickly switch their positions, so once they were setup, it was easy to get all the OVRs.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 04-04-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Cool. Thanks, Jeff.

Arkansas State signs some important early recruits.

WR
    #40WR
    Arkansas State coaches have had good success with speedster WR Davis and Butler fits the same exact mold as him. With great speed and good height, he needs to work on his hands but he'll redshirt for a year and then be a return man for a couple years before being called into the starting lineup.

Butler received no other offers.
    WR
    #14WR
    Glover is an all-around great receiver. With very good hands and good speed, he'll make a great one in a few years. For now, he'll redshirt.

Glover received no other offers.
    DT
    #18DT
    As a DT, West's abilities are essentially just to clog up the trenches. He can't move well, but his strength and size will allow him to take on blocks while other players make a play on the ball. He's not needed for a couple of seasons so he'll redshirt.

West also received an offer from Maryland.
    G
    #11G
    Workman isn't spectacular but is a solid blocker. With good strength and good blocking skills, he'll be a good addition in a few years. For now, he'll redshirt.

Workman's other offers were from TCU and Texas Tech.
    FS
    CB

#4CB
    While Chase played CB in High School, he doesn't have the agility to keep up with WRs at the next level. Instead, he'll shift to FS to allow use great speed to play centerfield.

Chase's other offer was from Stanford.
    ROLB
    MLB

#8OLB
    Smith is an all-around solid linebacker. He needs a bit of work on his tackling but otherwise, he's excellent. Since the Red Wolves typically only use two linebackers and since their linebacker core is the probably their youngest, Smith will redshirt for a year.

Smith also received offers from Houston, Kansas State, Texas, Akransas, LSU, & Texas A&M.
    SS
    FS

#4FS
    With SS a big need, Baker is the most crucial signing for the Red Wolves this year. With great speed and tackling ability, he'll be great either in coverage or stepping up into the box to stop the run. He'll redshirt but will need to be ready to start the year after.

Baker also received offers from Wisconsin, Kansas, & Old Dominion.

Demarcus Baker SS (FS) 79 Week 6
    Alex Chase FS (CB) 79 Week 6
    Joey Smith OLB 77 Week 6
    Eddie Glover WR 77 Week 6
    Stan Workman G 75 Week 6
    Clint West DT 71 Week 6
    Alex Butler WR 70 Week 5

A 95 speed possession receiver? With 57 catching? Insane.

Great pickup with Baker.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 04-05-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    A 95 speed possession receiver? With 57 catching? Insane.

Great pickup with Baker.
    My WR Davis started out almost identically (including the 57 CTH rating):
    Spoiler: show

Good enough to run the rock or loop kickoffs! I'm sure he will be a pain to deal with.

Yeah Baker was a solid get. I didn't realize he was interested in me until it was too late. Lost interest in FS targets momentarily once I saw that I wasn't going to get Odom. Then the following week I noticed Baker.

Wisconsin adds it's first recruits of the season

WR, SS
    #18ATH
    Whitaker is one of the Badgers first recruits of the season and coaches are happy to land him. Whitaker can play on either side of the ball but coaches will start him out at WR with his natural receiving skills. He will redshirt his first year on campus to further develop those skills.

There were no other schools interested
    CB
    #5CB
    Skinner was a necessary grab the Badgers, though he wasn't needed since Wisconsin's class last year featured 3 CB's. Coaches just couldn't pass up Skinner's physical and coverage skills. With his size included he has the ability to become a shutdown CB coaches hope. He will redshirt his first year to further develop. He could see the #1 or #2 starting role afterward.

Penn State was the only other school interested

Ryan Whitaker WR (ATH) 77 Week 8
    Sean Skinner CB 75 Week 7

Kansas had several uncommitted players on campus for the victory over then #1 Wisconsin. Most of the visitors have committed, with several more expected to commit this week. Let's meet them now!

C
    #474 #15C
    Tony Colvin will come to Lawrence as the prototypical type of road-grading center that a run-oriented offense loves to see anchoring their line. Colvin's run blocking technique, along with his bench press and clean-and-jerk, are his strength, though he holds up admirably during passing situations. Colvin won't put opposing players on their ass quite as much as one would hope, but he will presumably improve on that over time.

Colvin has two starter-level players in front of him, so he will redshirt next season. He chose KU after receiving no interest from other schools.
    CB
    #46 #1CB
    What can you say about the #1 cornerback in the country? Other than shock that he'll be coming to Lawrence, Kansas, I suppose. Bradley is a versatile coverage corner, leaving the high school ranks with well-developed skills in both man and zone coverage. His press technique could improve, and he will need to improve his change of direction and first step if he's going to keep up with the likes of Bryan Webb and Kyle Kilpatrick in practice, let alone opposing players on the field. But, for a freshman, Bradley comes in with very impressive skills, and KU coaches will enjoy having him for at least three years.

KU coaches would love to redshirt Bradley, but will have to see how the current roster progresses in the spring before making a decision. Once he takes the field, expect Bradley to compete for the nickelback spot immediately. Bradley chose KU over Florida.
    G
    T

#263 #13G
    He may not be as highly ranked as some other KU signees this season, but some scouts have said, off-the-record, that Paul Barber might be the most college-ready player in this year's Jayhawk class. Barber excels in his change of direction, moving much quicker than one would expect from a 275-pound man. Barber also can move the pile in run blocking, using all the strength he's developed in the weight room, along with peerless technique.

Barber could be starting today on the offensive line for Kansas, but the coaches will have to see how the current roster progresses in the spring before making a decision on a redshirt for next season. Barber could stay at his high school guard position, or possibly be moved outside to tackle, depending on the needs of the program. Barber chose KU over Michigan That Team Up North.

Three more players visited for the Wisconsin victory, and while they haven't publicly announced their committment, sources within Allen Fieldhouse expect them to announce within a week.
    OLB
    SS

#1187 #31SS
    Steve Todd is a long-term project that the KU coaches will take on in an effort to build a linebacker out of a slow safety. Whether or not they succeed remains to be seen, but that's exactly what they've got in front of them. Todd is decent enough for his Kansas City, Kansas area high school, but his speed and movement skills just do not translate to the defensive backfield at the collegiate level. However, coaches did appreciate the passion and aggressiveness with which Todd approached the game and attacked both blocks and the ball-carrier, so they thought he had something they could work with. Todd will move to outside linebacker, where he can hopefully put on some extra pounds and develop over time.

Todd will definitely redshirt next season. He will choose KU after receiving no interest from other schools.
    DT
    DE

#301 #32DE
    Tyler Jackson is a run-first defensive end whom his high school coaches expect to always see in the opposing backfield, taking down the ball carrier. While his ability to do just that has always been impressive, Jackson lacks the top-end speed or ability to change direction that is needed for a defensive end at the next level, especially one that wants to play every down. With that limitation, Jackson will bump inside once he arrives on campus at Kansas, moving to the 3-technique defensive tackle spot. His ability to get off blocks at the point of attack will be very useful in the interior of the defensive line.

Jackson will redshirt next season to develop into his new position. He will choose KU after receiving no interest from other schools.
    DE
    #547 #58DE
    If there was one big need going into this season for the KU recruiting class, it was a pass-rushing defensive end. With All-American Jace Sternberger set to graduate at the end of this season, and no obvious replacement readily in line, KU coaches knew they needed to replace his ability to get after the quarterback. In Freeman, KU coaches have privately said they believe they have found a player just as good as Sternberger was during his breakout junior season, yet Freeman is only a high school senior. Freeman possesses the same type of top-end speed, first step quickness, and ability to change direction that Sternberger has, and also brings a top-level bull-rush and ability to get off blocks.

Despite the loss of Sternberger this season, Freeman will be behind two fifth-year seniors and a bevy of underclassmen, so he should be able to afford a redshirt season to begin his development at the next level. After a redshirt season, expect Freeman to be used in passing-down packages at the beginning. He will choose KU after being ignored by the five other user teams on his board.

Mark Higgins FS (CB)
    81 (FS) Week 4
    Paul Barber G/T
    80 Week 6
    Terry Oliver HB (ATH)
    79 (HB) Week 4
    Jimmy Bradley CB
    79 Week 6
    Tony Colvin C
    78 Week 6
    Matt Freeman DE
    76 Week 8
    Brad Johnson QB (ATH)
    73 (QB) Week 4
    JR Malone SS
    73 Week 4
    Tyler Jackson DT (DE)
    71 Week 8
    Matt Murphy MLB (ATH)
    66 Week 4
    Steve Todd OLB (SS)
    64 Week 8
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 04-15-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Wisconsin added another 4 recruits after their visits last week

#6ATH
    Sims is an interesting recruit for us. Coaches had in mind that he could be put at RB since he possess solid ball carrier skills and definitely has the physical skill set in terms of speed. He isn't the ideal size, but a 1st year redshirt season can give him time to bulk up and work on his carrying ability. If he can improve on that he stands a very good chance at leading the backfield in a year.

No other schools showed interest

T
    #18T
    Coaches are happy to land Carr as he was a much needed grab with Senior Kevin Estes graduating at season's end. There for a few weeks it looked bleak for the Badgers as Carr was leaning towards Iowa just 2 weeks ago. Luckily the Badgers were able to get back into the race and nab him.

Carr will likely redshirt his 1st season on campus. He shouldn't be direly needed due Juco Kasey Brown having the year to redshirt and further develop.

Iowa and Illinois were also in the running
    OLB
    #14OLB
    Rice comes in looking to be the leader of the LB Corps for the future. With the graduation at the end of the year of Farrar, the LB group will need someone to take over. Coaches are mulling on moving Safety Geoff Ashley there full time next season, but either way look for Rice to redshirt his first year on campus. He has the desired skillset that the Badgers want in an LB, just needs to get a little faster and work on bettering his pass rushing moves.

Auburn was also in the running.
    G
    #44G
    Davis has the potential to be one of the Badgers most important signings in this year's class. Though his skills aren't off the charts, he is already a solid Line who could be capable of taking over the RG position. With the graduation of David Moorman at the end of the season, the Guard position is looking thin. If some redshirted players don't progress well enough to take the position over, look for Davis to start immediately.

LSU also offered

Ryan Sims RB (ATH) 76 Week 9
    Chris Carr T 75 Week 9
    Brian Rice OLB 75 Week 9
    Andrew Davis G 73 Week 9

Nice pickups, Skip!

Thanks, class is slowly coming together.

Would like 4 others from the class to be satisfied

Hoping for 6 more myself.

Whoa didn't realize you had the #2 class right now!

I wanted to go after Chase but figured didn't stand a chance between you and Stanford. Plus I had 2 other CB's on my list, figured couldn't get all 3 either.

Wisconsin adds 2 of it's top recruit that were targeted in the offseason

WR, RB, QB
    #*ATH
    King was initially looked at to be a RB, as the Badgers lose 2 of their top rushers at season's end leaving the RB position thin. Now King could be put at potentially 3 different positions, though QB is unlikely. He has the ability to get playing time right away at a few positions but will redshirt his first year on campus as Coaches decided which of the 2 positions he will play. With some growth in year one he could be one of the better recruits of the class.

King chose Wisconsin over Texas, Western Kentucky and Tennessee

RB, CB
    #29ATH
    Coaches aren't sure where Wright will end up, though early indications are pointing to RB. He will redshirt his first year on campus to determine where exactly he will fit. The Coaches are fairly excited with all the potential CB depth the team could have in the Secondary.

Wright chose the Badgers over WKU, Illinois and Notre Dame

Tony King WR, RB, CB (ATH) 78 Week 10
    Eli Wright RB, CB (ATH) 77 Week 10
    Ryan Sims RB (ATH) 76 Week 9
    Chris Carr T 75 Week 9
    Brian Rice OLB 75 Week 9
    Andrew Davis G 73 Week 9

Arkansas State adds one after Week 9.

CB
    #23CB
    Thomas is a very good project CB that coaches were looking at for the future. He has very good speed, good agility and acceleration, good overall coverage skills, and excellent press skills. He likely won't be needed for a few years so he'll definitely redshirt.

Thomas also received an offer from Houston.

Demarcus Baker SS (FS) 79 Week 6
    Alex Chase FS (CB) 79 Week 6
    Joey Smith OLB 77 Week 6
    Eddie Glover WR 77 Week 6
    Stan Workman G 75 Week 6
    Roger Thomas CB 74 Week 10
    Clint West DT 71 Week 6
    Alex Butler WR 70 Week 5