Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Week 2 Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Well yeah, I know they've been flirting with that good/great line. But this year, they could possibly be even better. I wouldn't be surprised to see Air Force fighting for a MWC title at the end of the season.
    Me either. Their defense looks just as solid as it was last year, and Asher Clarke and Tim Jefferson are looking explosive in that backfield. Add Halderman and Fogler outside and they're dangerous.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Arkansas State sets a team single game passing record picking up 438 yards through the air but still lose due to 3 turnovers, only 18 rushing yards, and needing 17 points in the fourth quarter in order to pull within 7 points; a ULL interception with 2 minutes remaining sealed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidice View Post
    Texas Tech wearing all white @New Mexico. white helemt, jersey, etc....

already 7-0 too. TTU up.
    Didn't they say the white helmets were just for practice to help with the heat? Texas hasn't been overly impressive (yet), so next week could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Didn't they say the white helmets were just for practice to help with the heat? Texas hasn't been overly impressive (yet), so next week could be interesting.
    I guess they decided to wear them in the game. I think it's only going to be a road thing though. I imagine next week they'll be back to the black helmets for the home game against Texas.

the design of the white helmets look almost exactly like it was in the early 70's. white with black and red stripes in the middle and the normal block TT logo in red. only difference is black facemask(instead of red like one year and I think gray the other years they had white helmets)
    Last edited by Solidice; 09-11-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Nevada is absolutely shredding Colorado State with the pistol tonight. QB Colin Kapernick had over 100 rushing yards before the 1st quarter was even half done.

James Madison beat Virginia Tech, and had never used the Pistol in a game before today.

I am even more convinced that the Pistol will be a very, very common offense across the nation within five years.

Well look at this dummy

I was actually watching this game when it happened, the TD stood as well

Skip, I think a kid from Marshall did the exact same thing in the WVU game. Both times the ball was dropped before the end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Me either. Their defense looks just as solid as it was last year, and Asher Clarke and Tim Jefferson are looking explosive in that backfield. Add Halderman and Fogler outside and they're dangerous.
    Yeah, they really scare me this year. The Air Force-Navy games over the last 5-6 years have already been as close as you could possibly get, and now with Air Force looking even better this year than during any of those past years, that worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Well look at this dummy

I was actually watching this game when it happened, the TD stood as well
    Ugh, I hate idiots who do that crap. Yes, you're going to score a touchdown. Yes, you want to celebrate. Is it really THAT hard to hold onto the ball for a mere 1 or 2 seconds longer until you are fully IN the endzone before dropping the ball?

Also, I think teams might want to stop overlooking any FCS teams on their schedules in coming years. In addition to last week's games:

South Dakota knocks of Minnesota
    Gardner-Webb knocks off Akron
    Purdue only beats Western Illinois by 10,
    obviously James Madison knocking off the Hokies
    Montana State loses to Washington State by 1 point (WSU had to score 16 4th quarter points to win)
    Liberty beats Ball State
    North Dakota stays within 6 of Northern Illinois

Yeah, granted some of those teams aren't exactly the next national champion (Akron, Ball State, etc), but just the fact that 7 FCS teams either won or were within 10 points of a potential win against a FBS opponent, to me, it's looking like teams are going to have to take FCS opponents on their schedule in the future more serious than they are now.

And if that's not the problem, then those FBS teams need to just stop sucking it up to the point that they lose or nearly lose the games in the first place.

Alabama is either NASTY or Penn St. either played bad or isn't a Top 25 club.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Alabama is either NASTY or Penn St. either played bad or isn't a Top 25 club.
    I think a mix of all three. I know one or two of our resident Penn State fans say that they see Penn State as a 3 or 4 loss team this year, and based on this game, I'd have to agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Skip, I think a kid from Marshall did the exact same thing in the WVU game. Both times the ball was dropped before the end zone.
    I'm starting to think that the WRs are doing it intentionally. I can't imagine accidentally not realizing that you hadn't cross the goalline yet.
    Is it really THAT hard to hold onto the ball for a mere 1 or 2 seconds longer until you are fully IN the endzone before dropping the ball?
    This is the same argument I use to the people who say the celebration penalty next year is going to take points off the board. If the player waits until he's in the end zone to celebrate, it's a dead ball penalty. If he can't wait to celebrate until after he cross the goalline ... his own damn fault.

The most amazing part is, knowing that penalty is coming next year, the sheer amount of players who decided they needed to do a forward flip across the goalline was astounding. Just go into the end zone, idiots.
    Montana State loses to Washington State by 1 point (WSU had to score 16 4th quarter points to win)
    Actually, I think this is a come-from-behind upset. Wazzu should have lost that game.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 09-12-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Yep. OU tinkered with the Pistol last year, and two games into this season it's a staple. Our offense this year is a completely different animal than when Sam Bradford was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy38 View Post
    Yep. OU tinkered with the Pistol last year, and two games into this season it's a staple. Our offense this year is a completely different animal than when Sam Bradford was here.
    It seems like a simple decision (though not entirely simple to implement). If you're a traditional I-form team, the Pistol gives you a way to get the ball to your HB faster without significantly impacting your timing. The only issue there I can see is less time for pulling guards.

If you're a one-back team, the Pistol should be obvious. Faster handoff while still giving you all the downhill running ability of oneback.

A Shotgun Spread team is probably the only one that may have an argument against Pistol. But the Shotgun's positioning of the QB on a pass play isn't a huge advantage over the Pistol (which are both advantageous over under-center), while the Pistol gives you downhill running that you can't get in Shotgun without running a draw play.

The Pistol is the next logical pick for a trending offensive scheme. And I think it's going to stick around a while. The Pistol, in itself, is a "Multiple" offense. Very few other formations offer that ... and having a scheme built around a versatile offense is huge.

I think a mix of all three. I know one or two of our resident Penn State fans say that they see Penn State as a 3 or 4 loss team this year, and based on this game, I'd have to agree with them.
    I think PSU fans would love to go 9-3. A trush freshman QB, a new and unsettled OL and a new LB corp as well. I just think they were over-rated this year due to their success the last few years. They lost a lot of talent.

Yeah, they really scare me this year. The Air Force-Navy games over the last 5-6 years have already been as close as you could possibly get, and now with Air Force looking even better this year than during any of those past years, that worries me.
    I just re-watched their first drive against BYU. Absolutely shredded the Cougars. They ran one of the sickest (and slickest) option plays I've ever seen. Shotgun Split formation. QB Slot Triple Option, where he rode the HB, the FB went right like a power option, then the QB followed him right with the slot WR as an option pitch. He pitched it and got like 15, easily. Come to think of it, that play might be in NCAA, but it looked awesome, and flawless.

I would not be shocked to see Air Force threaten for the MWC title this year, and shock a lot of people.

I cannot wait for Boise State, TCU, Nevada and Air Force to all be in the MWC next season (or 2012, depending on when Nevada gets out).

Thumbs up

Great win yesterday for my Gamecocks! The are now #13 in the AP Poll, #16 in the Coaches Poll.

Your right. I've seen our team trending more towards Kevin Wilson's Northwestern offense which requires a dual-threat QB for the past few years. We recruited Rhett Bomar several years ago to be the perfect fit for his offense, but he got kicked off the team and were left with Paul Thompson to carry the reins for a year until so our young guys could develop. That turned out to be Sam Bradford who was signed as a someone to provide depth behind Bomar - and we all know how that turned out. We're coming full circle again as Landry Jones is fulfilling the White/Bradford role and we signed Blake Bell and Kendall Thompson as dual-threat QB's so you can see where our future is heading.

Off topic: If I was looking for a playbook that included Ace, I-Form, Shotgun, and Pistol, and included plenty of each where would a guy look? I don't know if it's even possible to duplicate what OU is running this year from a playbook standpoint. Off the top of my head, I've seen:
    Ace: Big
    Ace: Big Twins
    Ace: Twin TE
    Ace: Trips TE
    I-Form: Normal
    I-Form: Twins
    I-Form: Twin TE
    Pistol: Ace
    Pistol: Ace Twins
    Pistol: Tight
    Shotgun: Too Many to Mention