Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Madden 16 Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display
    It is true that the passing games are completely dependent on pass protection but they went overboard on the default settings. Sliders fix a lot of it although I have user pass block at 0 on all-pro and you still get really good protection against four man rushes.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yeah I think its safe to say there is virtually zero pass rush in this year's game. The only way I've seen pressure is by blitzing and/or user controlled d-lineman beating the offensive lineman and even then you have enough time to make a read and throw.

If I run a corner blitz or an OLB blitz, an actual play call I will get pressure on the QB, especially on 3rd and long, it puts pressure on him if not a sack. I like it.

I didn't care much for the over powering RT and X/A interaction from last year where you could completely blow up the O-line and hammer the QB. Most D-lineman don't get multiple sacks per game.

It's annoying that EA hasn't split the special teams sliders from user and cpu in franchise mode. They have it for Play Now. I had user FG at 35 to test it out and still found it way too easy. So I tried it at 0 and it was comical at how bad I missed some. Unfortunately we always have to keep the sliders the same because of franchise.

One thing I noticed about FG accuracy slider this year - it affects FG length. Dropping it down too much and you won't hit any long ones. So any adjustment downwards for FG accuracy will most likely require a bump in FG length.

MY OBJ moment - classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I will say this for those that are sitting on the fence. If you have generally liked Madden in the past you will like this game. By far the biggest upgrade is to the passing game. Everything else is very similar but the passing game is a big improvement. In the past contested balls were wins for the DB 99% of the time as they would just knock them down. Now it's an unpredictable event where the WR can win and you see a cool play. If you have a matchup with a big WR on the outside, lobbing a high pass or throwing a fade route are very realistic options now. Couldn't do that last year at all.
    Definitely agree with this. Likely an interception last version. Couldn't put it far enough down field or up high enough to atleast give WR a chance. The fade route was automatic in past version as the game wouldn't allow the CB to adjust or react. Even if you tried manually controlling him. It would result in a rocket catch animation for the WR. They toned that down the past 2 versions and now it's a toss up as if it will even be successful.

Body position is also a factor as well if you have big WR and he has position, a realistic outcome will likely happen.

Friend and I did a test the other night for aggressive catch. We wanted to test how the elite WR's fared against elite CB's and weak CB's. He used Calvin Johnson vs Sean Smith. Both have great physical attributes in terms of jumping and height.

Stafford threw 95 passes total. All streaks to either CJ or whoever else was in at his spot due to fatigue. Only Defense I played was Cover 1 and manually took the Safety to the other side of the field without help coverage.

Stafford went 29-95, 8 touchdowns, 7 interceptions. Megatron had 24 receptions with 7 of the touchdowns (other WR's 5, 1 touchdown). Stafford's passes were either poorly thrown off the mark or Smith swatted/intercepted the passes.

For testing purposes the entire 1st quarter neither one of us clicked on and tried to make the catch or defend the pass. Smith defended very well on his own going for the swat or the interception depending on the situation, which he picked off one. Have replays of 2 nice plays.

For the remainder of the game we both clicked on he going for the aggressive catch, and me simply holding the swat button every time. CJ was only credited with 5 drops. The remaining that weren't poorly thrown, caught or picked off were all deflections and knockouts by Smith that went well over 60. The weaker rated and smaller CB's rarely had a chance against him on the few passes they were in the game. Also worth mentioning 3 of those TD's came when I opted to play press coverage inside the redzone.

Next brief test was with the Dolphin's Landry against Sean Smith. I let the CPU defend the catches while my friend tried aggressive catching every single pass. Landry's numbers in the half were 4/35. Those were the ones that were actually catchable. Smith picked off 2 of them, but the rest were broken up by him. This was 1st half only. Smith started defended it even better as the half wore on.

Between those two tests and even games played, to me comes down to this It matters who you have defending the WR. Can't expect results with weaker rated CB's and smaller ones for that matter. Matters who you have playing WR as well. Still don't think it's a problem like I keep hearing. The CPU defends it well by themselves but if you are manually trying to defend it be careful of which one you choose. The best and safest option is playing for the Swat/breakup

Nice work skip! I agree that ratings and matchups are huge.

Definitely plays a factor. The better the CB, the better chance you have of defending it. On some of the catches Smith had absolutely no chance as he shouldn't at times going against CJ. On one pass CJ shielded Smith off beautifully. Short of interfering with him there was no way that pass could be defended...game or IRL.

I'm also getting sacked ALOT on All-Madden against friends. They don't even have to blitz and get quick pressure from the D-line especially. Or the LB's when the right blitz call is made.

I forget how important Line protection is until I start getting sacked so much. Some of these aren't coverage sacks either, simply not having enough time to even get past the first read or make one.

Recently played a lobby game and was able to sack Aaron Rodgers 5 times in the game forcing 2 fumbles.

I swear that they have done some online tuning since EA Access. Human passing is nowhere near as effective IMO. It is playing really well right now. The only issues right now are zero pass rush and an abismal cpu run game.

I really wish special teams sliders were accessable in the in-game menu and split in franchise. I tested out FG accuracy in practice mode on all-pro and having to back out and change settings sucked. Good thing I'm still anal enough to do it. There is a massive difference between 26 and 27 FG accuracy. At 27 you will still be money if you keep your arrow within the green arrow. Outside and it starts to miss. But at 26 you will shank a ton of balls, even when staying in the green. It's a bit crazy. And FG accuracy has a big impact on FG length. Those two sliders have to be adjusted together.

Small annoyance, the game says it auto loads my roster but it doesn't. You always have to manually load them for some reason.

I was too hasty in my complaints about the run game. You can run outside although you usually have to stay inside the outside block on the DE or OLB unless it's a toss/pitch play. The inside running game isn't over powered like in past years. If the CPU plays tight and blitzes those third and short plays are much more challenging. The overall game is pretty balanced and much better than its been the last three years. Sliders certainly help. I think the worst part at default is the terribly weak pass rush on default for both user and cpu. Overall I'm very happy right now and hopefully a patch will fix the franchise issues.

But I thought it was impossible to make human-controlled FGs challenging? I heard it was all just muscle memory and after 2 games you would never miss no matter what the slider does.

It was still done a lot better in NCAA 14 iirc. It isn't tuned very well at the lower settings in Madden but definitely possible. Cmon EA, put those sliders in the game menu and keep them separate!

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I'm very worried about this update. I did NOT feel that the aggressive catch was too effective. Rather I thought that most of the time the defender had the advantage. The only thing IMO that needed tuning was the amount of one handed catches.

I've had WR catching at 45. I may reconsider if WRs are a bit neutered after this tuner. Haven't tried it yet.

They need to do something about the opening load screen. It's nuts! Today it must be over 2 minutes to check everything and then load.

Experienced my first game freeze tonight. It took place at halftime as I was watching the monolith stats. Really frustrating as I was getting my butt handed to me by Denver and I wanted to see what would be the end result.

However, I exited Madden and shut it down and then rentered the game and it gave me the option to resume. The game started in the 3rd quarter. Awesome!
    Last edited by jaymo76; 09-05-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Experienced my first game freeze tonight. It took place at halftime as I was watching the monolith stats. Really frustrating as I was getting my butt handed to me by Denver and I wanted to see what would be the end result.

However, I exited Madden and shut it down and then rentered the game and it gave me the option to resume. The game started in the 3rd quarter. Awesome!
    I had the same thing happen once. In game saves worked and I was shocked.

I've played two games since the tuner. Didn't really notice much difference. My safety did pickoff a hail Mary. Probably not a huge impact. Maybe it was more online related?

Played vs my son tonight and had a first ever in Madden. He threw the ball past the LOS, I was yelling that's illegal. Sure enough they threw the flag for Illegal Forward Pass. I was amazed!