Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mafia III

• Facebook
  • Display

Mafia III

Reveal next week. Really excited for this one but they need to clutter the world with stuff to do. Mafia 2 was fun but there was so little to do outside the story.

So good, can't wait.

Yeah. Definitely on my radar.

That looks amazing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

I am really looking forward to this game. Love what I've seen so far. As long as nothing massively negative comes out between now and whenever the release date ends up being, this is gonna be a day one buy for me.

Even though I needed sleep, I couldn't resist jumping on last night. Put about 3 hours into it, got through the back story and the prologue missions and finally reached the point where the game opens up and the revenge begins before I called it a night.

As someone who actually had not played the Mafia series before, though I have seen a ton of Mafia 2 gameplay, and even as a massive GTA V fan, I am really enjoying this game.

I haven't come across any issues affecting gameplay yet, though I do have to reteach myself not to run and gun like GTA, since the ammo for guns is limited in this, I can't just run around firing off 1,000 bullets like in GTA. That was my biggest struggle last night, in a firefight with the cops only to be sitting there with an empty gun and nothing but my dick in my hand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Even though I needed sleep, I couldn't resist jumping on last night. Put about 3 hours into it, got through the back story and the prologue missions and finally reached the point where the game opens up and the revenge begins before I called it a night.

As someone who actually had not played the Mafia series before, though I have seen a ton of Mafia 2 gameplay, and even as a massive GTA V fan, I am really enjoying this game.

I haven't come across any issues affecting gameplay yet, though I do have to reteach myself not to run and gun like GTA, since the ammo for guns is limited in this, I can't just run around firing off 1,000 bullets like in GTA. That was my biggest struggle last night, in a firefight with the cops only to be sitting there with an empty gun and nothing but my dick in my hand.

So Smooth, is the game completely open world, or does it have a good amount of direction?
    Sometimes having too much freedom is bad - at least for me.
    I need more direction so I don't feel lost or begin wandering aimlessly.
    I found that Mad Max and Sleeping Dogs had the perfect length of leash to keep me interested, while not restraining me from trying side quests or to explore.

I'm also completely ignorant of this series, so can you expand on how complex the management of the game is?
    I'm assuming you can expand your empire so you have to run various side jobs/businesses? Is that complicated? Will I feel overwhelmed having to manage my women, bars, drug trafficking, etc?

Those questions I can't answer yet. I had never played the Mafia series before, so I have taken a dive of faith into this game.

The first hour or two is pretty much on rails, as they're telling the back story of how the events of the game came to be. It's basically a big prologue with you going from mission to mission, learning the characters, learning about Lincoln Clay, his family/friends and the big moment that sets him on a bloodthirsty mission of revenge that is the actual proper game.

It also serves as a tutorial, showing you the controls to drive, use the cover system, ways to help yourself in gunfights, how interactions with the police play out, etc.

Unfortunately, I only had just gotten to the end of the prologue after 2 1/2 to 3 hours of playing last night. I am right at the start of the mission that starts to open up the world of the game, so I haven't experienced too much about how it will actually be when you gain the freedom of choice.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 10-07-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Those questions I can't answer yet. I had never played the Mafia series before, so I have taken a dive of faith into this game.

The first hour or two is pretty much on rails, as they're telling the back story of how the events of the game came to be. It's basically a big prologue with you going from mission to mission, learning the characters, learning about Lincoln Clay, his family/friends and the big moment that sets him on a bloodthirsty mission of revenge that is the actual proper game.

It also serves as a tutorial, showing you the controls to drive, use the cover system, ways to help yourself in gunfights, how interactions with the police play out, etc.

Unfortunately, I only had just gotten to the end of the prologue after 2 1/2 to 3 hours of playing last night. I am right at the start of the mission that starts to open up the world of the game, so I haven't experienced too much about how it will actually be when you gain the freedom of choice.

Thanks!

Keep feeding us impressions. I'm really thinking about buying this game. I need a non-sports game and I'm not a fan of FPS's.

Just put in a few hours and I have played the other Mafia games, for comparison. So Far:

The Good:

Playing as Blake Griffin on steroids.
    Voice acting and facial animations are amazing. Story seems really good early on.
    They kept that you follow the speed limit and stop signs. You can break them if there are no cops around but if they are, there will be a chase.
    Racism: They did not back off of this aspect of the time and area.
    Gunplay is good. Nothing out of the ordinary for a cover based shooter. If anything it is limited by what you can do in cover, which is to slide over the cover.
    Soundtrack is amazing.

The Bad:

Graphics. Washed out and just does not look right. I appreciate the real time shadowing for when the sun goes behind a cloud but something about the overall lighting feels off. Not to the point of detraction but the graphical jank is there. Night time looks even worse and if you add some fog, it can be a bit distracting.
    Early AI is pretty damn stupid.

The Ugly:

The first time you are on your own and you test out melee against pedestrians, it is a Benny Hill moment. Your character is huge and he knocks out anyone on the street with one punch. For Ladies he kinda does a soft jab to the throat and they go flying, out cold or dead. Honestly they just lay there and I went around the block doing the same thing and they were still laid out.

Hearing lots of people complaining about crashing on the consoles but I have not run into that.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 10-07-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Go 40 seconds in to see what I was talking about with "The Ugly." Not my video but pretty hilarious.

The cop standing on the water at 1:10 was funny.

So is this basically a Watchdogs / Assassins Creed hybrid? Looks really interesting but I have never played the series.

Well they copied a lot of the search for little items that Ubisoft loves so much. You have to find fuses to unlock Junction boxes, which shows you all of the items you can pick up in that area (and taps the phone system). This also includes showing more fuses to find so you can rinse and repeat the process like 20-30 times across the map. This was not the case in the first two Mafia games. It was pretty much story/side-missions and playboy collectables. It extends the longevity of the game but not in a good way.

The thing that I simply can't stand is the lack of a fast save system. I hope they find a way to patch that in but won't hold my breath. From the reviews it gets really bad the further you play as you are constantly going from on end of the map to the other and back and then back again.

Also they completely screwed up on the "Snitches get stitches" aspect. I can't count how many civilians I have had to kill to keep the police from being called in and screwing up a mission. Not just that, you kill a snitch and there is going to be someone else running to the phone to snitch on you for killing the first snitch and so on and so on. After killing three straight snitches in a row, you would think people would be a bit hesitant about be anywhere near a phone.

Story is great though. No complaints there.

Well I finally had to give this one up. 5 straight main missions where the game did not give me the money earned from completing it, to a tune of over $175000. Game also glitched on kickbacks which were no longer showing up. You need to earn to upgrade certain things and get better equipment. I barely had enough to keep paying for ammo to start the next mission.

I did watch the ending(s) and they are all really good. Just wish I did not have to use youtube to complete a game I paid full price on.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Well I finally had to give this one up. 5 straight main missions where the game did not give me the money earned from completing it, to a tune of over $175000. Game also glitched on kickbacks which were no longer showing up. You need to earn to upgrade certain things and get better equipment. I barely had enough to keep paying for ammo to start the next mission.

I did watch the ending(s) and they are all really good. Just wish I did not have to use youtube to complete a game I paid full price on.
    That's too bad. I had this game on my wish list but maybe not anymore???

Must be a random glitch. I've had an issue after doing a side mission, but only once. I've gotten my money from all rackets so far.

By and large, there have been very few issues I've come across and still enjoying the hell out of this game. After putting in some long hours the last couple days, I just have Southdowns, Frisco Fields and the French Ward to capture and the three capos to take out before reaching the, I assume, endgame and Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    That's too bad. I had this game on my wish list but maybe not anymore???
    Enjoyed parts of it and if I did not have the money glitch, would have continued on. Just think there is nothing really special about the game outside the story. Not something I would have paid full price for if I had to do it again. Metacritic is in the high 60's and share most of my complaints. Too repetitive, not that great to look at, collectable for the sake of collecting and no fast travel. It could be a couple good patches from being a much better reviewed game but signs were there that this was not going to be a classic when 2K did not put out review copies until after the release date. Doom is the rare exception where that did not hurt them.

This is will be final comment on it as I no longer have it. Smooth sees it a little differently and has gone much further into the game than me, so I will leave it to him.

Just finished the final mission and the story about an hour ago. Hell of a story. By far, the story and voice acting is a clear 10/10 for me.