Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015-16 World Football Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Yeah, I'm good with Leicester winning it. It's a great story. I'm not sure if they'll become the next big thing or if they'll fade back into oblivion (I'm not sure their chairman is committed to financially backing the club even if it means losing money every year). But right now that's irrelevant.
    I think they will be a middle of the pack team in the near future but this is one of the greatest stories in football history. Scratch that, sports history. Just look at this odds.

76'ers had 200-1 odds to win the NBA Championship. This Year!
    US winning the 1980 Gold Medal in hockey before the tournament started - 1000-1
    Leicester City odds to win the PL before the season - 5000-1 (Vegas had them at 2500-1)
    Last edited by bdoughty; 04-25-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    I think they will be a middle of the pack team in the near future but this is one of the greatest stories in football history. Scratch that, sports history. Just look at this odds.

76'ers had 200-1 odds to win the NBA Championship. This Year!
    US winning the 1980 Gold Medal in hockey before the tournament started - 1000-1
    Leicester City odds to win the PL before the season - 5000-1 (Vegas had them at 2500-1)
    I tend to agree that they won't become the next heavy-hitter (ala your club and mine) because we have yet to see the ownership group pour funds in with no regard to profit (or loss). Unless I'm mistaken, the only year that Chelsea has turned a profit since Roman Abramovic bought the club (first season was 2003-04) was in the 2011-12 season when they won the Champions League.

I wouldn't doubt if MCFC is in a similar boat. While they have more sponsorship money coming in and a higher stadium capacity, MCFC also consistently spends more on the transfer market than Chelsea. Chances are, they're losing money more times than not as well.

The point is, I don't think MCFC is a profitable club either and neither MCFC or CFC were bought by people who intended to use the club to make money. Until LCFC shows that they are willing to lose money, I can't be sure they will be and the reality is (even with massive TV money flowing in now) that you have to be willing to lose money to stay consistently, highly competitive.

Maybe LCFC will become that next club but there isn't any evidence for it. Not yet, anyway.

As far as the story, no question. It is probably the most improbable thing that has happened in sports in our lifetimes (maybe ever). Truly amazing.

I knew our owner was a Sheikh, just not much else about him, other than being rich beyond belief. So upon research... His family is worth over a trillion dollars. The thing that I did not know is that the Government of China has a 13% ownership of the team, acquired in December.

They both own a stake in not one but two women's professional soccer teams in Australia and England. Plus an MLS team. Those tidbits alone would lead me to believe they are not in it for profit. These guys make their profits elsewhere, in things like oil and selling cheap crap to the US. The sports investments are for trophies on a mantle. Playthings that they can buy on a whim. Man City did not become a top tier team until they started spending money. Back when the former Prime Minister of Thailand took over the team and started the cash flow. How clean that money was... is another matter altogether.

You can pick your team but you can't pick the owners.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 04-26-2016 at 06:27 AM.

No question, man.

Abramovich has constantly had his name swirling around with the Russian Mafia, with dirty dealings with the KGB and all sorts of other ugliness.

He bought the club to win the Champions League. Not to make money. A club whose owner needs to make money doesn't really stand a chance.

I know LCFC, despite being characterized as poor little innocent victims of a FIFA/UEFA/FA plot against them, have shady ownership too. King Power has been accused of illegally setting up shop at an airport (through collusion with politicians) as well as extorting money from tourists (accusing them of shoplifting and threatening prison sentences if they don't cough up cash).

I just have to chuckle when people think that LCFC is some kind of beautiful Hoosiers or Rudy story. On the pitch, yes it's fantastic. Off the pitch they're as scummy as the next. Whatever they are, they aren't some innocent little group of choir boys being taken advantage of by the dirty powers that be.

For those who are aware of the Hillsborough Tragedy.

http://www.90min.com/posts/3151321-f..._source=fotmob

For those who are aware of the Hillsborough Tragedy.

http://www.90min.com/posts/3151321-f..._source=fotmob
    Glad to see they finally got some justice. If anyone wants more info on the Hillsborough Tragedy, Netflix has the 30 for 30: Soccer Story available.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80001104

Just over three hours until kickoff. I am really hoping Leicester can get the three points today, on the road and at Old Trafford. Would be the icing on the cake.

Plus fuck Man PU. I think we can all agree to that!

Just over three hours until kickoff. I am really hoping Leicester can get the three points today, on the road and at Old Trafford. Would be the icing on the cake.

Plus fuck Man PU. I think we can all agree to that!
    It's pretty cool to see someone unexpected up there.
    The dude abides.

If Chelsea beats Tottenham later today or the match ends in a draw, Leicester City will win the league.

Chelsea draw, 2-2, with Spurs. Leicester wins the league. So much for conspiracies.

Chelsea draw, 2-2, with Spurs. Leicester wins the league. So much for conspiracies.
    So at one time they were 5000-1 shots huh?
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    So at one time they were 5000-1 shots huh?
    Yes.

For perspective:

80 Olympic Hockey 1000-1
    99 Rams 300-1
    Buster Douglas 42-1

By the way Burnley, who were relegated last year, will return to the Premier League next season.

The other auto-promotion spot will go to Middlesbrough or Brighton & Hove, pending their match this weekend. If Brighton & Hove win, they'll get the spot. Any other result gives it to Middlesbrough.

Whoever doesn't get the spot will be joined by Hull City, Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday in the promotion playoff.

Yes.

For perspective:

80 Olympic Hockey 1000-1
    99 Rams 300-1
    Buster Douglas 42-1
    If only I could go back in time and just drop $10 on it,
    The dude abides.

Congrats to Coach Lasso!!!!!!!! Fired from Tottenham

to champion of the league!

Even NBC Sports was making fun of Leicester a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    If only I could go back in time and just drop $10 on it,
    Well, Burnley have opened at 5000-1 for next season, from what I hear. Feel free to drop $10 on it and good fucking luck!

Well, Burnley have opened at 5000-1 for next season, from what I hear. Feel free to drop $10 on it and good fucking luck!
    And here it is.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foot...-a3238311.html

Glad to see Atletico get past Bayern Munich in the UCL semis but wow - I can't believe Simeone shoved the 4th official like that. It could (probably should) have him banned from the Final.

Dumb.

Glad to see Atletico get past Bayern Munich in the UCL semis but wow - I can't believe Simeone shoved the 4th official like that. It could (probably should) have him banned from the Final.

Dumb.

Here is hoping for Man City to score a goal and go to the Finals. Do not want an all La Liga final.

Here is hoping for Man City to score a goal and go to the Finals. Do not want an all La Liga final.
    I don't care for a La Liga Final either but City vs Bayern would have been more interesting with Guardiola.