Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 - July 29, 2015

• Facebook
  • Display

Windows 10 - July 29, 2015

Check your computers for the little white Windows icon below to get yourself reserved for Windows 10. It'll be free for a limited time for those users of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

The dude abides.

The dude abides.

The dude abides.

Yeah I had one on my Desktop this a.m. saying its "free" but I assume there is a "catch". Is Windows 10 going to a subscription model?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yeah I had one on my Desktop this a.m. saying its "free" but I assume there is a "catch". Is Windows 10 going to a subscription model?
    I've looked it up a few times and I haven't seen any catch, in all seriousness. They're trying to get as many to jump as they can.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

From ArsTechnica
    Windows 10 is changing that. As announced last week, current users of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for no cost. Microsoft says that this will be a limited time offer that will run one year from the release of Windows 10; we honestly wouldn't be tremendously surprised to see that limited time offer extended.

Subsequently, and in some ways even more importantly, those new Windows 10 machines will continue to receive updates "for the lifetime of the device—at no cost." Those paid major version upgrades that Windows has historically had will be going away; once you're on the Windows 10 train, you're on the Windows train, and you'll continue to receive a steady stream of updates and upgrades until your system stops working and you buy or build a new one.

No catch, free for first year. I think it's an admitted fuck up for Windows 8.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I don't think so. Ars Technica is framing it as an attempt to reduce the number of platforms that Microsoft has to support on a consumer level, and I completely agree that is the most likely reason. In the last year or two they've had as many as five viable versions to support with full security upgrades, just from a consumer level. That's insane.

But Windows 8 has that whole "Our Change is shittier than Obama's" thing going. What could you ever mean?

Are you saying: #1 I have a year to make a change to Windows 10 to get it for free or #2 I get Windows 10 free for a year and then have to pay $X after that for the system?

Are you saying: #1 I have a year to make a change to Windows 10 to get it for free or #2 I get Windows 10 free for a year and then have to pay $X after that for the system?

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Correct.
    The dude abides.

For being a "tablet" driven OS...definitely in the same line as Windows 7 after the terrible Vista project

I know that is the direction technology is going but I very much like to have an OS built for a computer and not a tablet or video game system

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    For being a "tablet" driven OS...definitely in the same line as Windows 7 after the terrible Vista project

I know that is the direction technology is going but I very much like to have an OS built for a computer and not a tablet or video game system
    It's going to be well suited for whichever way you go. It's better for desktop users by far, while still being worth while for a tablet user.
    The dude abides.

So coles notes version... what makes 10 better than 8.1?

well my "concern" is whether i get to keep my "old" version of Word, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    So coles notes version... what makes 10 better than 8.1?
    The main thing I've focused on is that the Desktop is the default view again. Too many people have gotten stuck in Metro and unable to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    The main thing I've focused on is that the Desktop is the default view again. Too many people have gotten stuck in Metro and unable to get out.
    Yeah I spent $5 on a 3rd party app to put a start button on my desktop
    The dude abides.

My girlfriend's dad had to get us to help him on FaveTime because he had managed to open some app in Metro and it was just a blank screen. I will never understand why Microsoft thought everyone could naturally navigate a touchscreen UI on their laptops. I realize the same people are using touchscreen UIs on the phone, but somehow the learning curve seemed different.

I'm never going to get a touchscreen PC for my laptop or desktop. I'll always use a mouse and yell at the kids to get off my lawn.
    The dude abides.