Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB The Show: Steelerfan's Houston Astros Franchise

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    AL Cy Young: Aaron Brooks (KC) 15-7, 2.73, 123 K
    Who?

I play in six fantasy baseball leagues and don't know who that guy is.
    The dude abides.

Just realized that I had Peacock starting and listed as a long reliever in my roster projections. It was a mistake, Alex White should have been in that long reliever spot. It's been fixed.

Did you not really chase after any big time free agents and continue the rebuild?
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Did you not really chase after any big time free agents and continue the rebuild?
    I watched the livestream and had a party chat with steeler in his offseason. He tried for a few guys but the asking prices were too high. He made a big effort for 3rd base but it wasn't in the cards. Houston will have to make a run based on depth of the organization.

P.S. Party chat/livestream is a fun way to do an offseason...

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I signed a few, Jason Motte being the prize. I didn't have a ton of money by time I re-signed those I wanted and I had to set aside 7+ million till February in case I lost arbitration with Dexter Fowler (I didn't).

The other FAs on my 40-man are Jason Stoffel and Scott Atchison. Most of my signings were just to fill out my 90-man as my budget is just $70.15M (up 10% from 2014) and that includes all staff and scouts (I have over $11M invested in scouting and $6.51M of budget room available).

My projected budget for 2016 is $63.13M at the moment so the pressure will be on to perform to get it higher.

The only players on my 40-man who have contacts that expire after the 2015 season are Scott Atchison, Josh Fields, Chad Qualls and Dexter Fowler. Of those, only Fowler is someone I'd make any real effort to keep so I should be in good shape.

Most importantly, I've locked up much of my young talent.

Player, OVR and Potential, Age, Years Remaining/Salary:

Jarred Cosart, 85B, 24, 3/960K
    Asher Wojciechski, 75B, 26, 4/642K
    Mike Foltynewicz, 74B, 23, 2/720K
    Mark Appel, 73A, 23, 4/1.0M
    Luis Cruz, 72B, 24, 3/573K
    Vincent Velasquez, 66B, 23, 3/640K
    Jason Castro, 82B, 27, 6/3.6M
    Carlos Perez, 67B, 24, 3/70K
    Chris Carter, 80B, 28, 4/800K
    Jon Singleton, 70B, 23, 3/623K
    Jose Altuve, 84B, 24, 4/980K
    Carlos Correa, 77A, 20, 3/1.3M
    George Springer, 84A, 25, 3/1.4M
    Domingo Santana, 69B, 22, 3/573K

Young with upside in the minors:

SP Nick Tropeano, 69B, 24, 3/70K
    CF Delino De Shields, 68B, 22, 3/73K
    RF Andrew Aplin, 66B, 24, 3/70K
    3B Rio Ruiz, 66B, 21, 3/73K
    LF Austin Dean, 62B, 21, 3/70K
    SP Thomas Shirley, 68B, 26, 4/60K
    SP Omar Espinoza, 67A, 18, 3/90K
    SP Lance McCullers, 67B, 21, 3/73K
    SP Josh Hader, 66B, 21, 3/73K
    CF Teoscar Hernandez, 59B, 22, 3/66K
    LF Vaughn Sambol, 59B, 20, 2/70K
    SP Keith Dolan, 49B, 18, 3/76K

I think I'm in good shape. Not many FAs next year, all my best locked up (except Fowler who may be expendable depending on the development in the minors, especially by De Shields), and lots of good prospects (particularly pitching).

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I watched the livestream and had a party chat with steeler in his offseason. He tried for a few guys but the asking prices were too high. He made a big effort for 3rd base but it wasn't in the cards. Houston will have to make a run based on depth of the organization.

P.S. Party chat/livestream is a fun way to do an offseason...
    That was a lot of fun. Always good to chat with you, buddy.

The Astros lost to the Washington Nationals on Monday, 6-2, to fall to 6-10 this Spring.

Manager Bo Porter limited starter Jarred Cosart to 3 innings in what could be his final start of the Spring. Cosart didn't allow a run, surrendering a hit and a walk with 3 strikeouts.

Matt Albers and Jason Stoffel hurt their bids to make the Opening Day roster as each gave up 3 runs in 1.0 and 0.2 innings, respectively.

Offensively, Alex Presley continued his hot Spring going 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI to raise his average to .466.

Porter deployed a lineup of mostly backups and fringe players and Adeiny Hechavarria finally got into the hit column with a double.

Houston will host Atlanta (7-12) Tuesday at 1:05 PM with Brett Oberholtzer (0-2, 4.82) and Brandon Beachy (2-2, 2.57) scheduled to pitch.

WSH 6-11-0
    HOU 2-7-0

Forgot to mention that Luis Cruz was injured in the loss to Washington. Cruz has a pulled muscle in his back and is expected to be out for a few days.

The Astros lost in 10 innings to the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday despite a good outing from Brett Oberholtzer and 11 base hits.

Oberholtzer was allowed to go 5.0 innings due to his slow start this Spring. The lefty responded, allowing 1 run on 3 hits with a walk and 4 Ks. However, despite leaving with a 3-1 lead, Brett fell victim to Houston's first Blown Save in Grapefruit League play this year as Jason Motte allowed Atlanta to even things up in the 6th.

Motte, 32, signed a 4-year, worth $3,632,500 per year in the offseason but his struggles have been a black mark for the Astros staff in Kissimmee. Jason has made 5 appearances and is 0-1 with a 12.27 ERA in just 3.2 innings. He had allowed 3 walks with just one strikeout and has a WHIP of 2.73. Opponents are batting .412 against the righty who figures to fit into a set up role come April.

Manager Bo Porter cautioned against reading too much into Motte's struggles, citing that he hasn't managed the bullpen situationally this Spring, instead opting to get guys work. Porter did, however, admit that Motte's performance needs to improve soon.

Houston did get 4 multi-hit games, on the bright side, as Jose Altuve, Dexter Fowler, Carlos Correa and Matt Dominguez each recorded a pair of base knocks.

The Astros (6-11) will visit the Miami Marlins (9-7) at 1:05 PM on Wednesday. Scott Feldman (0-2, 6.75) is scheduled to face Tanner Roark (2-2, 1.80) despite trade rumors surrounding him.

The Astros are said to be talking to the Pirates about acquiring a left handed starting pitcher in exchange for the 32-year-old righty, per sources. Speculation is brewing that the lefty-in-question could be 27-year-old Jeff Locke.

The Astros have declined to comment.

ATL 4-9-0 F/10
    HOU 3-11-0

With rumors swirling that Scott Feldman was on his way out of Houston, the righty gave a solid performance on Wednesday against the Miami Marlins. Feldman scattered 6 hits over 5 innings striking out 3 and walking 3 but he also did not surrender a run and was the winning pitcher in the Astros 6-0 victory. It remains to be seen if that was the swan song for Feldman with Houston.

The Astros, again, went with a lineup that did not include most of the regulars but they got good production from the lineup that Manager Bo Porter sent out. Robbie Grossman, Marwin Gonzalez, Charlie Barbour and Jose Altuve (pinch hit appearance) all recorded doubles as the Astros turned 9 hits into 6 runs.

Houston (7-11) will visit the Washington Nationals (12-6) on Thursday night. Alex White (0-3, 7.36) and Doug Fister (2-1, 1.07) are scheduled to start with the frist pitch slated for 7:05 PM.

HOU 6-9-0
    MIA 0-11-0

Late Wednesday night the Astros announced that they had struck a deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Houston acquired SP Jeff Locke and RP Bruce Rondon from the Buccos in exchange for SP Scott Feldman and SP Collin McHugh. The announcement follows 36 hours of speculation that Feldman would be on the move for Locke.

Here's a breakdown of the deal:

What the Astros get:

LHP Jeff Locke (76 OVR, C Potential)

Starting pitcher Jeff Locke, 27, is a left hander with just over 2 years of MLB service time. Locke is under contract for 2015 only, at a price tag of $575K. He has a career record of 15-25 and an ERA of 4.88. This Spring he made 7 appearances for the Pirates, pitching 14.0 innings with a 2.57 ERA and no record. In 2014, Locke struggled to a 4-12 record with a 6.44 ERA as the Pirates were among the worst teams in baseball. However, in the Pirates playoff season of 2013 Locke was 10-7, 3.52.

RHP Bruce Rondon (65 OVR, B Potential)

Rondon, 24, has just 103 days of service time in the Majors and is under contract for this season only at $560K. His only time with Pittsburgh was in 2013 when he posted a 1-2 record, a Save and a 3.45 ERA.

What the Pirates get:

RHP Scott Feldman (77 OVR, C Potential)

Feldman is 32 years old and is coming off of a solid season with the Astros (10-7, 3.78) which followed a good 2013 (12-12, 3.86). In over 8 years of service time in Major League Baseball, Feldman is 61-63 with an ERA of 4.49. Scott made 4 starts for Houston this Spring going 1-2 with a 4.15 ERA in 13.0 innings. He is under contract through 2017 at $2.1M per season.

RHP Colin McHugh (63 OVR, D Potential)

McHugh, 27, has 125 days of service time and a career record of 0-8 with an 8.57 ERA. His contract takes him through the 2015 season and his salary id 500K.

What this trade does for the Astros:

The Astros clear almost $1.5M off of the books and free themselves of carrying Feldman's $2.1M salary to the age of 34. Houston also gets younger and acquires a left handed pitcher that should be in the big league rotation on Opening Day. The Astros have been in need of southpaws and they got one that they hope will return to his 2013 form which will be the biggest factor in determining which club got the best of this deal. Feldman isn't getting younger and he was just a stop gap for Houston as they continue to build for the future.

Bruce Rondon gives the Astros a legitimate relief prospect and Collin McHugh had no future with the Astros at the MLB level. He was just a warm body on the farm.

To make room on the 40-man Roster for Rondon, Houston placed SP Dallas Keuchel on outright assignment waivers. If he is not claimed by another club in the next 2 days, Keuchel will be assigned to Oklahoma City. Dallas, 27, has a career record of 9-18 with a 5.15 ERA and was 0-1, 2.57 in 7 innings this Spring.

Nice move. Looks like you got the better end of the deal but it's a toss up. I like that you landed a starting lefty. They're always the wildcards of the lineup. Where do you plan on putting him in the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Nice move. Looks like you got the better end of the deal but it's a toss up. I like that you landed a starting lefty. They're always the wildcards of the lineup. Where do you plan on putting him in the rotation?
    He'll be in the rotation, I won't know where until Spring finishes up but probably 4 or 5 as I'm thinking Cosart, Oberholtzer, Wojciechski will be 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

How good this trade is will come down to which Jeff Locke I got. If it's the 2013 one, I did great. If it's the 2014 one, I made a mistake.

Houston's bats stayed hot on Thursday night as the Astros pounded out 15 his in a 3-2 win over the Nationals.

For Astros had multi-hit games with Jose Altuve and Dexter Fowler getting 3 apiece, while Alex Presley and Jon Singleton had 2 each.

Newly-acquired reliever Bruce Rondon allowed a hit and struck one out in the sixth inning, making his Spring debut for Houston.

Presley, who is hitting .434 this Spring, hit his first home run - a solo shot to right in the 2nd inning.

Alex White allowed 2 runs on 5 hits with 4 punch outs and 3 walks in 5 innings to earn his first win in the Grapefruit League this year.

The Astros (8-11) will look for their first 3-game win streak of the Spring when they host the Phillies (6-13) on Friday. Asher Wojciechski (2-0, 0.00) will face Jonathan Pettibone (1-1, 5.25). First pitch is 1:05 PM.

HOU 3-15-0
    WSH 2-8-0

The Astros ran their winning streak to a Spring-best 3 games with a 4-1 win over the Philadelphia Phillies on Friday afternoon.

Asher Wojciechski surrendered a solo home run to Phillies first baseman DJ Peterson in the 2nd inning, the first run he's allowed in Grapefruit League play. Wojciechski was limited to 3 innings of work, giving up the one hit and striking out one.

Multi-hit performances were turned in by Dexter Fowler, George Springer and Carlos Correa who had 2 apiece. Chris Carter finally hit his first home run of the Spring, a 423-foot bomb to left in the 4th.

Manager Bo Porter said that he would move most of his starting rotation to the bullpen for the remainder of Spring Training and that he would be giving some other pitchers a chance to start down the stretch.

Porter also mentioned that LHP Luis Cruz was 100% after being held out of action for several days with a stained muscle in his back.

Houston (9-11) will host Miami (10-8) at 1:05 PM on Saturday. Jeff Locke (0-0, 2.57) who was acquired from Pittsburgh on Wednesday will take the mound for the first time as an Astro and will be opposed by Nathan Eovaldi (2-0, 4.91).

PHI 1-6-1
    HOU 4-9-1

Jeff Locke's debut was rough and Houston's 3-game winning streak is over as the Astros lost to Miami 11-2 on Saturday afternoon.

Locke lasted just 4.2 innings, allowing 5 runs on 9 hits with 3 walks. The lefty also struck out 3.

Trailing 10-0 in the bottom of the 6th, Marwin Gonzalez provided the only real highlight for Houston when his hard line to center got past the diving outfielder allowing Gonzalez to score an inside-the-park home run.

On the waiver wire, Dallas Keuchel went unclaimed and had been sent outright to AAA Oklahoma City. The move was made to clear a spot for Bruce Rondon on the 40-man roster after he was acquired with Locke from Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

The Astros (9-12) will host the St. Louis Cardinals (10-10) on Sunday at 1:05 PM. The scheduled starters are Paul Clemens (0-0, 1.80) and Adam Wainwright (2-0, 3.18).

MIA 11-17-1
    HOU 2-6-1

Houston got back into the win column on Sunday, beating the Cardinals 5-3.

Paul Clemens, in his first start of the Spring, went 5 innings surrendering 2 runs on 5 hits with 3 walks and 4 Ks for the win. Closer Jesse Crain earned his 8th save in as many tries.

Dexter Fowler and Chris Carter had 2 hits apiece and Carter hit his 2nd homer in 3 days.

The offense was paced by George Springer, however. Springer raised his Spring average to .250 by going 3 for 4 with a double, a triple and 2 RBIs.

The Astros (10-12) will visit the Cardinals (10-11) on Monday with the first pitch scheduled for 1:05 PM. Lucas Harrell (0-1, 0.00) is slated to face Michael Wacha (1-4, 14.14).

STL 3-7-0
    HOU 5-11-1

Dexter Fowler's grand slam powered a 5-run Houston 2nd as the Astros won for the fifth time in six games, beating the Cardinals 6-3.

Houston starter Lucas Harrell went 5 innings, surrendering 3 runs (2 earned) on 7 hits with a walk and 5 punch outs to earn his first win. Jesse Crain stayed perfect out of the pen, notching his ninth save this Spring.

Jose Altuve, Jason Castro and Alex Presley each recorded 2 hits to go with Fowler's heroics.

Houston (11-12) will send Bread Peacock (0-0, 0.00) to the hill on Tuesday night to face Brandon Beachy (2-2, 3.00) and the Atlanta Braves (10-14). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.

HOU 6-11-1
    STL 3-7-1

Starting pitcher Brad Peacock did all he could to get his first win of the Spring but the Astros bullpen blew his 3-1 lead and Houston fell to Atlanta 5-3 on Tuesday night.

Aside from an RBI single in the 2nd inning, Peacock limited the Braves to 1 run on 5 hits with 3 walks and 7 Ks in 5 innings of work. However, Josh Fields promptly allowed 4 runs (only 1 earned) in the 6th to doom the 'Stros.

The Astros (11-13) will take Wednesday off before hosting the New York Mets (5-17) at 7:05 PM on Thursday. Alex White (1-3, 6.19) and Bartolo Colon (0-0, 0.82) are the scheduled starters.

HOU 3-6-2
    ATL 5-8-0

Couple weeks until FIFA and NHL... are you going to finish spring training and then call it quits as per your original plans or has the lack of GMC in NHL changed your purchasing plans for that game?