Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kain Colter starts union movement

• Facebook
  • Display

Kain Colter starts union movement

For the first time in the history of college sports, athletes are asking to be represented by a labor union, taking formal steps on Tuesday to begin the process of being recognized as employees, ESPN's "Outside The Lines" has learned.

Ramogi Huma, president of the National College Players Association, filed a petition in Chicago on behalf of football players at Northwestern University, submitting the form at the regional office of the National Labor Relations Board.

Backed by the United Steelworkers union, Huma also filed union cards signed by an undisclosed number of Northwestern players with the NLRB -- the federal statutory body that recognizes groups that seek collective bargaining rights.

"This is about finally giving college athletes a seat at the table," said Huma, a former UCLA linebacker, who created the NCPA as an advocacy group in 2001. "Athletes deserve an equal voice when it comes to their physical, academic and financial protections."

Huma told "Outside The Lines" that the move to unionize players at Northwestern started with quarterback Kain Colter, who reached out to him last spring and asked for help in giving athletes representation in their effort to improve the conditions under which they play NCAA sports. Colter became a leading voice in regular NCPA-organized conference calls among players from around the country.

"The action we're taking isn't because of any mistreatment by Northwestern," Colter said. "We love Northwestern. The school is just playing by the rules of their governing body, the NCAA. We're interested in trying to help all players -- at USC, Stanford, Oklahoma State, everywhere. It's about protecting them and future generations to come.

"Right now the NCAA is like a dictatorship. No one represents us in negotiations. The only way things are going to change is if players have a union."

The NFLPA's Board of Player Representatives passed a resolution supporting the players' union movement, Pro Football Talk has reported: "Resolved, that the NFLPA pledges its support to the National Collegiate Players Association (NCPA) and its pursuit of basic rights and protections for future NFLPA members."

Full article at ESPN.com

Just read that article a bit ago.
    Going to be real interesting to see how that goes and if it sticks how the landscape changes.

LMAO yeah I feel sorry for those kids with full rides, free clothes, meals, trips to play games etc.....

If you don't like it quit the team noone is forcing you to play college athletics.

The dude abides.

Oh I need to send that pic to LSUFreek
    The dude abides.

Where is Scott Walker when you need him?

I'd be perfectly fine if they just got rid of college athletics altogether.

Fuck 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I'd be perfectly fine if they just got rid of college athletics altogether.

Fuck 'em.
    Sadly at this point me too. Unfair treatment I'd love to see one of these guys have to go to school like the rest of us did.

I can understand if players want more of a voice with the NCAA, but I'm not sure unionizing is the answer.

There has been a lot of poor reporting & analysis by the media on this issue for a long time. They talk about revenue within college football programs, but not the profitability of entire athletic departments. I don't know if that is intentional or if they are economic illiterates. In addition, only 23 FBS schools, made more money than they spent last season and only six of those 23 programs have been able to replicate this for five years in a row.

In 2011, Forbes estimated the value of a scholarship for a player on a Top 25 team as being worth $2 MILLION dollars and that 99% of FBS players are getting more back than what they individually contribute to the school. I hope Colter voiced his complaints to NU administrators after they announced a $250M athletic facilities upgrade in 2012, unless he feels it is OK for Northwestern to upgrade facilities, but not other programs.

As we saw with the EA/CLC lawsuit where players were missing out on so much money, all that happened was a player settlement equivalent to a hill of beans, with people losing their job and the end of a college football video game franchise. Whatever happens, I'm fairly certain the most dramatic loss/damage will be to college football fans and season ticket holders....and that might be the best case scenario. Worst case would see many non-revenue generating sports eliminated.

From the article:

The group has pressed for better concussion and other medical protections, and for scholarships to cover the full cost of attendance.

Having already successfully advocated for the creation of multiyear scholarships, it now would like those scholarships to be guaranteed even if a player is no longer able to continue for injury or medical reasons. The group has also called for a trust fund that players could tap into after their NCAA eligibility expires to finish schooling or be rewarded for finishing schooling.

So if a player leaves early, gets dismissed, transfers, etc. would he have to reimburse the school?

I'm fairly certain most top programs have top-notch medical facilities (or access to them) and trainers. Smaller FBS programs are likely not Grambling-esque in quality, but I doubt they have poor facilities - but they also cannot afford say....a $250M facility upgrade.

It sounds like they need to make a push for stronger NCAA/conference rules regarding concussions and leave it at that. That is a cause people can support or rally behind. More money to student-athletes is a loser, financially and politically. It feels like there is a growing, somewhat silent group that gets more and more frustrated that numerous student-athletes are getting a free ride but cannot speak...like....anything...you know....resembling...ummmmm.....the Queen's English in public/interviews.....you know what I mean?

CAPA's initial goals do not include a call for schools to pay salaries, Huma said. However, he declined to rule out the possibility that CAPA would seek that type of compensation in the future and said he knows the public will begin speculating about scenarios in which players would receive a cut of the $5.15 billion in revenues currently generated by athletic departments in the five power conferences.

Those universities will be flush with new cash in the coming years due to the advent of the College Football Playoff, which starts next year, and the signing of lucrative, long-term media contracts that will more than double in value by 2020, according to the SportsBusiness Journal.

Again, talk of revenue but not profit. I also take Huma's non-committal statement about salaries to mean that would be a later goal of the union. If football players "get paid," do you do that for all sports? What does Title IX have to say about all/any of this? Will taxpayers have to subsidize athletic departments at a higher clip? That is a completely unsustainable model, even more so than exists now. This would only speed up the process of Division I becoming solely the power conferences, with some of those smaller schools moving down a level, and the elimination of many non-revenue generating sports.

Completely agree Chris. Everyone talks about just the pure amount of money that college football brings in but as you said no athletic departments are actually profitable. Now the NCAA itself I'm sure is pulling in a pretty but not the schools themselves.

While they "respect" Kain's efforts, several NU alumni are speaking out in support of the school. Did Kain embellish some claims against the university?

Dan Persa planned to keep his feelings to himself.

He and former Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter were teammates, and they share an agent in the Chicago-based Mike McCartney.

But after reading accounts of Colter's testimony at the ongoing National Labor Relations Board hearing regarding the unionization of college players, Persa decided to speak out.

Everything at Northwestern was handled in a first-class way," the former Wildcats quarterback told the Tribune. "To see it being dragged through the mud, I was pretty upset. There was some unjust criticism, especially for a place that does it so right."

Persa was careful not to direct any shots at Colter, who testified Tuesday that academic advisers steered him away from the rigorous pre-med track, said the school's social media policy restricted his freedom of expression and belittled the leadership council created by coach Pat Fitzgerald, whom he called "bossman."

"People like Fitz, (athletic director Jim Phillips), professors … they don't deserve criticism like that," said Persa, who said he graduated with a 3.6 grade-point average and that the school has paid for two post-career surgeries for him.

Fitzgerald is expected to testify Friday as a witness for the university, sources said.

He will be expected to defend his coaching methods, something NU alums/NFL players Jeremy Ebert and Mike Kafka did Thursday in interviews with the Tribune.

"Northwestern was attacked and portrayed in the wrong way," said Ebert, a receiver who played mainly special teams for the Jaguars last season. "Kain and I are friends. This isn't about me and him. But I want to defend my university."

Full article at the Chicago Tribune

the ncaa just needs to be gotten rid of or they need to revamp their rule book and change where school liability revollves.

they cant pay players -period

what they need to do is allow all the under the table money that players at all universities have been getting forever to be simply called donations.

Alright, CLW, explain, analyze, and predict.

Tweets and articles are all over the board on what happened.

Last edited by cdj; 03-26-2014 at 02:52 PM.

This is a tough argument for me in the players getting paid/unionized vs. just being happy for a scholarship. Players have always been paid in scholarships but the money has grown so astronomically with the TV deals, facilities getting upgraded and head football coaches and ADs have raked in all kinds of money - more than the value of a scholarship. When a kid sees the top coaches getting millions per year it's natural for them to want a greater piece of the pie.

1) Athletic departments on the whole are not making money like Chris pointed out. This is a good argument to show that the college football programs (and basketball to a lesser degree) subsidize the entire athletic department. But SI's Andy Staples asks why a college football player should be asked to subsidize all those things? I can see both sides of the argument. I feel more for the football guys since they are the ones bringing in the money/donations and generally spend 40 hours a week working out, practicing, etc. If the athletic departments need more money you could make the argument that coaches salaries should come down to help out too. Of course an old rule trying to cap salaries was struck down by the courts.

2) 99% of the players in college football are probably happy with a scholarship. The reality is the elite players, the ones that go in the draft and generate jersey sales, are underpaid. The vast majority are compensated fairly with other kids probably lucky to have a scholarship.

I think the easiest solution would be if the colleges let kids make extra money through endorsements. If Manziel inks a car commercial then his is cashing in on his popularity, the top kids are happy and the college football world stays largely intact. I don't think the status quo is an option anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Alright, CLW, explain, analyze, and predict.
    Need the actual ruling. I'd note the NLRB is known to be quite left of center. One would think the players would need to be "employees" in order to form a union but perhaps not. Anymore it just doesn't matter the left has taken over the country and they are going to just make things up as they go the rule of law and constitution be damned.

LOL funny thing is if the athletes are employees their only payment/salary is currently their scholarship. Thus, a STRONG argument can be made if you down this route the Athletes MUST pay state/federal taxes on their scholarships.

That would be some funny shit of course the liberals will just make up some excuse for why the athletes don't have to pay taxes on their income/scholarships.
    Last edited by CLW; 03-27-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Just read 's brief. Solid and they apparently have SCOTUS and prior NLRB rulings directly on point in a university setting. This one could be going all the way up to SCOTUS. I think the biggest problem with the ruling is that you have to be an "employee" before you can unionize and/or attempt to unionize. These kids aren't paid (which is generally the fundamental element to employment) so its a stretch to say the scholarship is their salary.

Moreover, what happens when the fighting union thugs go on strike for payment. could then go out and revoke all scholarships and go out and recruit an entire new team theoretically for the next week's game. It would bring absolute chaos to college sports.

Moreover, allot of states are "right to work" states which means that the athlete wouldn't be forced to join the union where other students are not in right to work states and thus could be forced against their will to join a union (and pay dues) to this union just to play football.

I cannot imagine what MORON would want to PAY someone to represent them for a "job" they aren't paid for. But hey if you can convince enough idiots to shell out what little money they have to you go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I cannot imagine what MORON would want to PAY someone to represent them for a "job" they aren't paid for. But hey if you can convince enough idiots to shell out what little money they have to you go for it.
    + a couple 1's