Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Live 14 (PS4 & XB1) General Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

NBA Live 14 (PS4 & XB1) General Discussion

Amazon purchase links: PlayStation 4 - Xbox One

Use this thread to share your thoughts, ask questions, look for friends to play online, or post final next-gen game media from around the web for NBA Live 14.

I was able to pick this one up tonight and might play for a bit once the 208 MB update downloads.
    Last edited by cdj; 11-16-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I was able to pick this one up tonight and might play for a bit once the 208 MB update downloads.
    Saw you were playing Live last night. I went to check out your twitch stream but you were done after I was finished with madden. Overall how would you rate it? From the videos at times it looks good and at other times not so much. I really like the half-time videos.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Saw you were playing Live last night. I went to check out your twitch stream but you were done after I was finished with madden. Overall how would you rate it? From the videos at times it looks good and at other times not so much. I really like the half-time videos.
    Too early to say. I've only played one game and a handful of Live Moments.

The game really needs a tutorial to handle EAs controls plus changes due to a new controller (namely touchpad + option buttons on DS4). I've seen some cool things and some weird things. The presentation is pretty sharp.

In my first game (on Rookie), I played as CHI and defeated UTAH by seven or so. I went into a big drought in the second half, but held on to win. I'm not sure if some gameplay issues are design related or user error (not having controls down).

JB and/or I will be streaming Live in a little bit.

How similar does the game feel to Live 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    How similar does the game feel to Live 10?
    There are some similarities, but not really. In Live 10, you could use the right stick and get to the rim and/or free pretty easily. So far, I don't feel that way in Live 14. (Though, I'm still learning the controls and new dribble moves so maybe that could change.)

Right now, I don't think casual players can hop on Live and put up a ton of points (even on Rookie) which might turn them off. "Hardcore" players might not pick up all of the game's nuances without a tutorial mode, so they might not appreciate what it has to offer. The game is in a tough spot with those two aspects. I would be surprised if people like the game without putting some time into it. I am uploading the in-game manual video currently and along with Coach Options, there are a LOT of things you can do in the game. Now, I don't know how balanced or strong each option is, but there is a lot going on and for the user to learn.

The more I play and figure things out, I like it - but it is rough around the edges, there's no getting around that. For example, (I think Live 10 had this same issue) sometimes a player under the hoop tries a shot attempt and (it feels like the game has determined it will go in) so you get a shot animation that isn't natural, if even physically possible. Also, when you get within a few feet of the hoop, a shot attempt (in lay-up/dunk range) seemingly goes into a full fledged gather and shot/dunk animation that I'm not sure can be stopped (at least by the CPU). Sometimes it feels like that defender under the basket is oblivious or just doesn't have a proper counter attack logic or animation.

The presentation is sharp and it feels really rewarding when you find the open man for a jumper or can get to the rim after using the dribble moves, which I think existed in Live/NCAA 10.

CDJ, can you comment on the career/dynasty modes yet? I really like the presentation and the rebounding looks very strong. Like I said on JB's twitch feed last night it has that look of NCAA BBALL 10. I'm really on the fence because I want to get a bball game to fill the NCAAfball void but I'm not sure. I love mycareer in 2k but I am in the minority as I have always preferred how EA basketball games play.

My biggest issues with ea seem to be no sliders and no injuries.

I can't remember if it was ever confirmed one way or the other, but does NBA Live 14 have full sliders for Human and CPU? There were some things I liked while watching JB's stream last night. The graphics on the stream sucked, but I'll give them a chance in the demo next weekend, personally see what they look like. I'd be willing to maybe give this a shot in a couple months after the price has dropped, but only if they have full sliders. There are a bunch of issues with the gameplay that will need fixed with sliders before I'd be able to even enjoy playing more than a couple games on it.

I can't believe they would ship a game without sliders but I've heard more than one person say that about Live. Are they buried in a hard to find section or do they truly not exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I can't believe they would ship a game without sliders but I've heard more than one person say that about Live. Are they buried in a hard to find section or do they truly not exists?
    There are foul sliders. I haven't looked around for others quite yet.

I'll be live streaming this around 6:30 central.
    The dude abides.

If there are indeed no sliders whatsoever in NBA Live 14, then I officially am skipping this game. I was willing to still give it a chance last night, especially if the graphics in the demo looked better than those on JB's stream, but if there are no sliders, which this game has some major gameplay issues that absolutely require sliders to fix them, then I'm done. I won't even waste $2 renting it from Redbox. I'm done. Better luck next year EA.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    There are foul sliders. I haven't looked around for others quite yet.

I'll be live streaming this around 6:30 central.
    Foul sliders are a good start. Now we just need Human/CPU gameplay sliders.

I have a bad feeling there are no gameplay sliders. If true when is the last time a AAA sports game has shipped without them? I think every PS2 and PS3 game has had them. We'd have to go back to the PS1 or prior for a game like that. I don't think NBA Live 95 had them but this is ridiculous if true.

Judging by the vids I have watched the game is shit. Robotic player movement. terrible post game "interactions". Really cant judge tho until demo.

Firing up the stream again shortly:

www.twitch.tv/JBHuskers
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Word is that he's a big 2K person. That's a ridiculous score. Low 70's is more appropriate.
    The dude abides.

I'll be streaming some NBA Live Ultimate Team tonight, maybe around 7 central.
    The dude abides.

Played one game of the demo tonight. I was Golden State, home to OKC. I got blown up!!! The final was 46-12 OKC. It took me until the fourth to finally get a feel for the sticks. This game 100% needs the NCAA?madden skills trainer!!! Just picking up and playing it is very difficult. It took me forever to find out how to run plays and my D was just awful. Not a good combo.

Pros:
    1. Amazing haltime and post game show. I can't believe I'm saying this but it may actually be too long
    2. I love the option to view replays
    3. presentation is excellent and commentary is much better than I thought
    4. visuals are far better than what twitch showed the to be
    5. rebounding looks really good but I amlost never got rebounds
    6. zone D was pretty effective but the cpu adapts quickly
    7. crowds look decent but not very dynamic IMO

Cons:
    1. the D pad is pretty sluggish when trying to switch plays on offense and defense
    2. r1 for identifiying players is an awkward position for this feature
    3. keeping your position on D is very difficult
    4. control of movement of players is frustrating as it feels like driving a 16 wheeler
    5. complete absence of fouls & no injuries iin the game...???...
    6. no players seem to go out of bounds... is there a boundary force field in effect?
    7. Graphics for the players is pretty non-next gen IMO.

Overall it's better than what I have seen ths far. I am considering picking it up actually. However, I wish we could play around with more modes. I really want the 2k rpg experience but I like a lot of the gameplay mechanics of Live.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Word is that he's a big 2K person. That's a ridiculous score. Low 70's is more appropriate.
    Bias or not, anyone that claims Live is even close to 2K14 is really showing bias