Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One - Questions & General Comments on Console

• Facebook
  • Display

Xbox One - Questions & General Comments on Console

Please use this thread to ask questions or post general comments about the Xbox One.

Feel free to post links to videos, live streams, articles, etc. from around the web here.
    Last edited by cdj; 11-10-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Sweet, with this now open, I'll ask this here instead of asking it in the PS4 thread like I was going to.

With all the talk about the standby mode and the potential to FUBAR your console if it gets unplugged while in Standby, does the Xbox One have the same feature? I haven't kept up too closely with the articles and talk about ALL of the features in the Xbox One, so not sure if it has Standby or not. Just want to make sure and be ready tomorrow since I have to go into work from 6-10pm, so I'm gonna be turning it off sometime between 5 and 6, and want to make sure it is completely off and not have to worry about accidentally putting it into Standby instead.

Doing a quick search, it sounds like the XB1 has "standby" as well.

The Xbox One is generally less power hungry than the PS4, running a good 20 to 30 Watts lower whether sitting idle on menus, displaying streaming video, or running at maximum gaming performance. The PS4 wins out in standby mode, though, saving seven or eight Watts when the systems are "off" but still awake enough to download content or start up quickly (both systems can be turned off completely to avoid almost all power draw).

Ugh. I was afraid of that. Alright, I'll have to pay attention tomorrow and make damn sure that I'm turning it 100% off and not just putting it in standby.

Super quick impressions:

1. It is fucking HUGE. The camera is alone is huge and heavy as well. The console isn't heavy, but it's pretty big.
    2. I hate LB and RB. Absolutely hate them. The inside of them don't actually click, and guess where my fingers naturally go when reaching up from the triggers. I'm basically going to have to hold the controller a different way otherwise I'm not going to be able to get the shoulder buttons to click when I move up to hit them. What a boneheaded design decision. It may not be a problem for people with smaller hands than myself, but for me, it's pretty disappointing.

Getting it hooked up now. Just picked up the console and Dead Rising 3.

Got everything set up. Kinect is borderline freaky. I've been installing Dead Rising 3 for 15 minutes now and it's 1% done. Uh...

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Got everything set up. Kinect is borderline freaky. I've been installing Dead Rising 3 for 15 minutes now and it's 1% done. Uh...
    Freaky how?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx since I'm too lazy to get to the CPU using Tapatalk 4
    The dude abides.

And now the waiting game starts. My Xbox One and games arrived in town at 2:58 AM. I could go down to the customer center at the UPS warehouse, but that place is a damn madhouse with trucks returning and leaving during the day, plus my window to go pick it up is only 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM. So I'll just wait for it to get dropped off. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll get dropped off at 11:30. Doubt it, but it's happened once before with a UPS package.

How's the Xbox one so far guys? Are you having muhc issues setting it up and running games ? Also how are the graphics compared to the 360? Is the 720p really that noticeable or are people being picky ?

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    my window to go pick it up is only 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM.
    Do you have to set that up in advance? Or does that mean they aren't even going to put your stuff out for delivery until after 1:30?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan HAMsen View Post
    Do you have to set that up in advance? Or does that mean they aren't even going to put your stuff out for delivery until after 1:30?
    No, if I changed where/how I wanted it delivered before 3 AM this morning, I could have had them hold it at the Customer Center and gone out and picked it up myself. So it never would have been put on a truck. But, the only hours that you can go out to pick it up, at least here in my town, are between 11:30 AM and 1:30 PM.

That would be a disaster trying to fight the traffic from hell in this town during the lunch hour and then trying to get into and out of their parking lot with dozens of UPS trucks coming in and out constantly. Just too much aggravation to have the Xbox one or two hours earlier than if they delivered it to my front door.

But yeah, in the future you can change that. If you would rather go pick the package up yourself instead of waiting for them to deliver it to you, as long as you change how you want it delivered before 3 AM the day of the delivery, you can change it for free and go pick it up yourself. Most all of my packages come sometime around 1:30 PM (only on few occasions, in the last year or two at least, do they come after 2:30 PM or later), so I'm fine with waiting until then.

Traffic? Don't you live in a town with <17,000 people?

The optical port doesn't provide surround sound at launch. Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Traffic? Don't you live in a town with <17,000 people?
    Yes, but you've never seen what a fucking train wreck the traffic in this town becomes during the lunch hours or at rush hour. It's even worse when you add in the constant shit ton of trucks, since 4 or 5 different State or US routes all converge right in the middle of downtown.

However, it matters not! The UPS truck just arrived and my box is sitting next to me as I type this. So I ended up getting it at least 15 minutes earlier than if I had gone to pick it up myself anyways. I'm honestly surprised they put us on the early, early route, delivering in the morning, though I was sort of hoping they had since the tracking online showed it being on the truck and out for delivery clear back at 5:35 AM instead of the usual 7:30-8 AM. Now to start un-boxing and hooking this baby up.

The optical port doesn't provide surround sound at launch. Are you serious?
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yes, but you've never seen what a fucking train wreck the traffic in this town becomes during the lunch hours or at rush hour. It's even worse when you add in the constant shit ton of trucks, since 4 or 5 different State or US routes all converge right in the middle of downtown.

However, it matters not! The UPS truck just arrived and my box is sitting next to me as I type this. So I ended up getting it at least 15 minutes earlier than if I had gone to pick it up myself anyways. I'm honestly surprised they put us on the early, early route, delivering in the morning, though I was sort of hoping they had since the tracking online showed it being on the truck and out for delivery clear back at 5:35 AM instead of the usual 7:30-8 AM. Now to start un-boxing and hooking this baby up.
    When you download the update and it finishes, it'll sit on the green Xbox One logo screen for a good 5-10 minutes. Don't turn it off.

Some people turned it off after awhile and bricked their system.

When you download the update and it finishes, it'll sit on the green Xbox One logo screen for a good 5-10 minutes. Don't turn it off.

Some people turned it off after awhile and bricked their system.
    Thanks for the warning! I just started downloading the update a minute ago, currently 20% in.

Also, I must have gotten lucky. While there was only one or two inflated bubble wraps (and one flat one) in my box, the box for the most part was pretty tight. It was a snug fit between the Xbox and box itself. So as long as the box didn't get banged all over the goddamn place, it was pretty decently packaged, at least with the proper size box.

So far, everything seems to be working. I thought I could squeeze it onto the shelf with my cable box/DVR, but that was one hell of a tight squeeze. The two were pretty much going to be right up against each other and even then that would just barely leave any room for discs since the front of the shelf has a inside protruding edge. So I put my Xbox One where I had my 360, my 360 will easily fit on that shelf with my cable box with loads of room to spare. For now though, the 360 is completely unplugged, I'm gonna have to spend an afternoon completely moving the entertainment center out a foot or two so I can rework the 360 cables into the center from the other side of it. Not something I feel like doing right now. So for at least the next day or two, my 360 gaming is permanently on hold until I can get that shit pulled out and organized.

And in a quick 8-9 minutes, the update is done downloading and the console is restarting right now. At least in terms of actually downloading the update, that wasn't too shabby.

Do you feel like an ape trying to naturally hit the shoulder buttons, or is that just me?