Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 14: The Show (PS3/PS4)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Quick Counts gameplay. I've never given serious thought to the quick counts as I don't know if I want to give up that control but faster games does appeal to me.

I'm sold on it. It keeps it "sim" (or at least that's the claim) and quickens a game that needs to be quickened due to a 162 game season. That video looks like a game could be completed in 30 minutes with hopefully more walks and pitchers getting tired.

I would consider a 1-0 or 2-0 start count, especially if walks are otherwise somewhat rare. I know in MLB 2K, I rarely ever get walked. But no way in hell will I add strikes, I need every strike I can get. Many a time, I don't even make contact for a hit until there's already two strikes against me. Granted, again, that's in MLB 2K. I have no idea how the pitchers perform and react in The Show. Something I look forward to finding out first hand in May.

Smooth you will enjoy the differences between the games. The biggest advantage of the Show is how incredibly polished it is. The CPU AI is FAR betterhan 2k13. I get burnt out on the Show but a newbie to the series will be in heaven.

Smooth you will enjoy the differences between the games. The biggest advantage of the Show is how incredibly polished it is. The CPU AI is FAR betterhan 2k13. I get burnt out on the Show but a newbie to the series will be in heaven.
    Well, I'm certainly looking forward to it! The Show is the entire reason I'm planning on picking up the PS4 in May, instead of my intended "schedule" of November/December later this year or sometime in 2015.

With year to year saves, I no longer have concerns about buying the Show this May and doing a franchise (or whatever they call it) with the Rockies and doing a Road to the Show with 162 game schedules, since I'll be able to fully play them out as I desire and still be able to advance to new versions of the game in future years without losing all that work and progress.

Now Madden, FIFA, NHL, NBA Live and NBA 2K need to implement them! I was a very vocal supporter and demander of year to year saves for NCAA. Sadly we never got them before the series got axed. But now that's it has been proven that it can indeed be done and is workable for baseball, it's time to get it on the additions list for all the other sports games.

Yep, it's the same thing I say to people who want to try NBA 2k. If you haven't played the past 3 or 4 versions, you'll be amazed. If you've played them, though, you'll just be annoyed because both franchises ignore giant problems year to year. But since Smooth has never played it before, I'm quite certain he'll be amazed.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I'm not sure I'll love year-to-year saves. I love having the option (in case I want to do it) but missing out on playing with/against the new players in real life (rookies and prospects and the like) will make it tough to take the game too far before the inevitable "re-start".

Who has the game? A lot of people love the quick counts it seems and the new dynamic cameras. I'm interested in seeing the outfield locator spots moving as you try to track the ball down. I think that is a very interesting change. You can see the change here at 4:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...kcBsvAyU#t=257.

One thing I don't like hearing is that I can't control steal attempts with auto baserunning. The base running controls in the Show have always annoyed me. Personally I think runners should do all the basic stuff and I control whether I go for extra bases. That means a runner on 3rd with 1st and 2nd open should automatically go home on a base hit but they don't in the Show. You have to control EVERYTHING which annoys me. Almost every other baseball game I have every played has better base running controls imo. MLB 2K is much better in this area.

I played some baseball games this past week MLB 12, Hardball 5, and Baseball Stars. They still continue to work for me when I get the itch for some baseball (Each plays differently but all are fun to play and when they stop being fun then I'll upgrade).

PS4 footage

I want it, but the last couple years I've gotten The Show cheap, I've barely played it. Just wondering if I'll get my money's worth. If Quick Counts will actually enable me to fly through a franchise like I could when I had all the time in the world in the Ken Griffey Baseball days on the SNES.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I want it, but the last couple years I've gotten The Show cheap, I've barely played it. Just wondering if I'll get my money's worth. If Quick Counts will actually enable me to fly through a franchise like I could when I had all the time in the world in the Ken Griffey Baseball days on the SNES.
    Two ways to look at it.

First, the May release already cuts your time with the game. Unless you are willing to start a Franchise on 14 and keep going with it on 15, the month-plus you are losing is huge.

Second, with NCAA out of the picture, you should be able to keep solid interest in this game until August (Madden) or September (NHL, FIFA). That is something that was tough to do before, past mid-July.

For me, I'm not sold on continuing a Franchise on the next version of a game. I think I'd be too tempted to start over with the new real-life rookies and prospects. This would be especially impactful in an American Football game because there are no minor leagues/youth squads. Perhaps you can look past it in baseball. Hell, I'm not sure that I couldn't.

I'm still leaning towards waiting for The Show 15, particularly since I don't have a PS4 yet. My plan, at the time being, remains the same. Wait till September and get a PS4 for NHL and FIFA.

Just bought this for the PS3. It's downloading now. This morning I watched some of my old highlights from 11 that were on my hard drive and it gave me the itch.

Side note, I also bought FIFA World Cup 2014 and will download it after The Show.

21 GB. Sheesh. Took about 4 hours to download and 1.5 to install.

But at least I don't have to un-ass the couch to switch between FIFA 14, NHL 14, MLB 14 and 2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil.

Just played my first full game and I already LOVE Quick Counts. I played as the Pirates, at home against the Reds. I won the game 4-2 and each pitching staff walked 7 batters.

For me, Quick Counts is not about shortening the games. I think you all know that I play sports games for stats and don't care how long it takes to get good stats. QC is all about Bases on Balls in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Just played my first full game and I already LOVE Quick Counts. I played as the Pirates, at home against the Reds. I won the game 4-2 and each pitching staff walked 7 batters.

For me, Quick Counts is not about shortening the games. I think you all know that I play sports games for stats and don't care how long it takes to get good stats. QC is all about Bases on Balls in my book.
    Which do not exist at all in baseball games. I'm too impatient, but if I'm walking into a 3-1 count on this game...then I might be. But it is about shorter games for me.
    The dude abides.