Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 14: The Show (PS3/PS4)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quick counts and the new dynamic ball marker on fly balls are two of the features that intrigue me the most. If this game goes on sale I may get it.

Once you have had a chance to play more I'd like to get some real impressions on the fly ball marker. Is it different for good vs bad fielders?

Edit: Great video from dev on this.

Last edited by Rudy; 04-15-2014 at 06:25 PM.

To be honest, Rudy, right now I am letting the CPU field for me. Nothing is more aggregating than taking a bad angle and ruining a good game.

Played a second full game. I was Washington and won, at Milwaukee, 3-1.

Strasburg pitched a complete game and went 3-4 at the plate with an RBI double.

I had two extra base hits and Milwaukee had 1. All of them were doubles. Gallardo started for the Brewers and took the loss, going 5 innings.

Washington 3-10-0
    Milwaukee 1-5-1

Strasburg: 9.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 BB, 12 K

Milwaukee Staff: 9.0 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K

I was on the phone for most of the game so I was pretty impatient at the plate, resulting in just 2 BBs.

I'm going to play another game using the #5 starters for both teams.

Got another game in. I lost at Cleveland with the Royals, 3-2.

Duffy started for KC and went 7 innings but got no decision. Corrasco started for the Tribe, went 6 innings and also did not factor into the decision. Shaw got the win and Axford the save while Herrera took the loss.

KC 2-5-1
    CLE 3-5-0

KC staff: 8 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 7 K

CLE staff: 9 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 8 K

There were 3 extra base hits. KC had a double and a homer, Cleveland had a double.

Note that I'm using Dynamic difficulties at least until I get a feel for the game and can settle on sliders. I'm also using some sliders that I got from OS.

Dynamic Difficulties are going to make very moderate and slow changes. They're really not going to keep up with my progress, at this point. That said, I think slow changes are what you want (for the wrong way to do it, see Madden).

Right now, despite some slow progress to the difficulty, my pitching is too good because I'm getting better faster than the difficulty. However, I'm okay with it for now because it's giving me a chance to learn the game (last MLBTS I played was 11).

In my latest game, I won 2-0 at Miami, with the Astros. I got a 2-run HR in the top of the first from Carter and that was it. Peacock pitched a CG 1-hit shutout.

HOU 2-7-1
    MIA 0-1-0

Houston had the only 2 extra base hits, the aforementioned HR and a double by JD Martinez.

Peacock: 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 14 K

Miami staff: 9 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K

Eovaldi started for the Marlins and went 5 innings in taking the loss.

The logic kicked me up a difficulty level on pitching and I started to see a difference. I lost, 3-2, at Detroit with the Yankees on a 2-out walk off single by Martinez.

Warren took the loss as Coke earned the W. There were 2 extra base hits: an Ellsbury solo HR and a Hunter double.

NYY 2-8-1
    DET 3-10-0

NYY staff: 8.2 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 6 K

DET staff: 9.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 11 K

I started the #3s in the game - Nova and Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    The logic kicked me up a difficulty level on pitching and I started to see a difference.
    That's good to hear.
    The dude abides.

PS4 Trailer:

steelerfan (& anyone else with the game) - With Quick Counts, how long are your games on average?

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    steelerfan (& anyone else with the game) - With Quick Counts, how long are your games on average?
    You can play in about 30 minutes. However, I keep Broadcast Presentation ON and I don't button through much. Therefore my games are longer. Like I mentioned, QC is not about shortening games for me. It's all about BBs.

I'll play one shortly without Broadcast Presentation and time it. I'll post the stats and time when I finish.

Just played one with Broadcast set to "Fast Play". It took longer than I thought, clocking in at exactly 40 minutes. I was using QC too. There were a number of pitching changes (9 pitchers were used, in total) and a fair amount of runs though.

I blew a 4-1 lead, losing at Arizona 6-4. I was San Diego and I used each team's #2 starter (Cashner vs Arroyo). Torres took the Loss, Collmenter got the Win and Reed the Save.

SD 4-10-1
    ARI 6-10-1

SD had 3 extra base hits, with a pair of doubles and a Gyoroko 3-run homer. Arizona had 5 extra base hits including 3 doubles, a solo homer from Montero and a 3-run shot from Prado.

SD staff: 8 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 4 K

ARI staff: 9 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

For comparative purposes, I just timed a game using QC and Broadcast Presentation. I made a point of trying not to button through anything (I did button through a few things out of habit).

I took another 6-4 loss. This time I was Houston and was home against Tampa Bay. Iused each team's #3 starter so it was Cobb vs Oberholtzer. Tampa jumped on Oberholtzer early, plating 3 in the first. Oberholtzer too the L, lasting just 4.2 innings. Cobb was the winner, going 6 innings. Balfour got the save.

Each team got just on extra base hit. Tampa got a DeJesus double; Houston a Dominguez solo homer in the ninth.

TB 6-13-3
    HOU 4-11-0

Tampa CF Jennings had to leave the game in the 7th after making a diving attempt at a Carter liner and taking the ball to the chin.

TB staff: 9 IP, 11 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 8 K

HOU staff: 9 IP, 13 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 5 K

The game took exactly an hour and twenty minutes, double the time of the game on Fast Play.

Lost a 10-6 shootout at the White Sox, with Toronto. And this with the #1s going for each team (Dickey vs Sale). Dickey lasted just 3 innings, Sale went 6.2.

The Jays had a triple and a home run, while the Sox got a double and a pair of homers for a game total of 5 extra base hits.

TOR 6-9-3
    CWS 10-14-0

TOR staff: 8 IP, 14 H, 10 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

CWS staff: 9 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 4 K

Sale was the winner, Dickey the loser, Belisario pitched 2 hitless innings to earn the Save.

Video showing the new Dynamic Camera in MLB 14 (PS4):

Don't have the stats, but I lost at Colorado with Atlanta today. I think the scoreline was:

ATL 2-7-0
    COL 3-7-0

Having some trouble, slider wise, getting a balance between Ks, hits, extra base hits and HRs.

I won at Minnesota with Houston tonight. Each team had 2 HRs, including a Jason Castro grand slam in the 3rd.

HOU 6-13-0
    MIN 3-6-0

Houston staff: 9 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 9 K

Minnesota staff: 9 IP, 13 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 5 BB, 6 K

There were also 3 doubles, 2 by Houston.

David Ortiz hit a 3-run walkoff HR with one out in the ninth off of Chad Qualls and I lost at Boston 7-6.

HOU staff: 8.1 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 6 BB, 4 K

BOS staff: 9 IP, 13 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB, 10 K

HOU 6-13-0
    BOS 7-10-0

Each team had 5 doubles. Ortiz had the only long ball.

Seems like you're getting higher scoring games at least.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Seems like you're getting higher scoring games at least.
    I am. I just need to strike a balance between the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I am. I just need to strike a balance between the numbers.
    Early on, you were getting a lot of pitching duels, so you're making progress. Hope your sliders will translate to the PS4
    The dude abides.