Thread: Stephen F Austin Lumberjacks

• Facebook
  • Display

Stephen F Austin Lumberjacks

The SFA Lumberjacks move to the FBS!

The Big 12 has selected the Stephen F Austin Lumberjacks to join the league in 2013.

Vs Alamo River*: W 23-10
    Vs Ohio State: W 56-35
    At Putnam: L 45-35
    At TCU: W 56-32
    Vs Baylor: W 55-10
    Vs Oklahoma State: W 48-28
    Vs Oklahoma:
    Vs Texas Tech:
    At WVU:
    At Texas:
    Vs Saint Louis University:
    At OBU:

* Denotes neutral site game
    Last edited by Valid Username; 09-19-2013 at 12:24 AM.

Stephen F Austin Announces Quarterback

It wasn't long ago that Steven Lamb had the Air Raid offense rocking for SFA. Well, that was before the previous staff left for a few different reasons.

Now, a new staff is in town. With the new staff comes a new philosophy derived from one of the hottest in the business: Art Briles.

"We spent a lot of time working with Baylor and Briles, or at least I did. The others I kinda picked up from the HS ranks, aside from our defensive coordinator of course." "We are going to surprise in our first year at the FBS level in the Big 12. I think we'll do well."

The competition for QB was blown wide open. With that, the two true freshman outshined Lamb in the battle. Rodney Cross and Roderick Doty were the two fighting for #1, but who would get it?

"After watching these young men compete all spring we have decided that Rodney Cross gives us the best opportunity to succeed running this offense. He has experience in it in a way as his HS offense was pretty similar. Cross has things to work on like everyone else, but we think he's right for us."

"We have a great RB who we think will shock a lot of defenses but who are we to say that?"

Head Coach Brandon C shied away from questions regarding the defense, injury-ridden OL, and who will start at the Receiving positions.

"We don't feel the need to disclose that stuff at this time."

Stephen F Austin Gets First Win at FBS Level

It was a slow start, and Stephen F Austin certainly struggled early, but SFA got the job done 23-10.

SFA started the game off fast with several throws from true Freshman Rodney Cross to another Freshman Wide Receiver Justin Ateman. The running game was stuffed early on and that led to a SFA FG to go up 3-0. Alamo River quickly went down the field to score their only TD and make it 7-3. SFA answered late in the first quarter with a FG to make it 7-6.

Momentum certainly wasn't on SFA's side at this time. Alamo River drove down the field at first but ended up having to settle for a FG, their last score of the game. SFA would answer late in the second following an AR interception by D. Whitfield. Alamo River would end up punting and allowed SFA to score another TD with 1:18 left in the second quarter. AR drove down the field and was at the 5 yard line when they threw an INT to end the half, making 3 turnovers the total in the first half.

In the second half it was all SFA on defense. SFA would rack up 3 more INTs to make it 6 total, with a few more dropped INTs. The pass rush took over and the running game was stuffed on the way to a second half shutout.

"We played tremendously well on defense. Wish we could say the same about our offense." "We really have a lot to work on when it comes to our running game. That was a very very poor effort. We were outmanned for sure but we still should've done better." "The talent on their defense was good, no doubt. I just wish we would've played better. I'll take any win we can get."

SFA hosts #2 Ohio State next week. "We are currently in no position to play Ohio State. We've got a tone to work on."