Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 2013-14 World Football Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

As I expected, John Terry has signed a one-year deal to remain at Chelsea.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/i...src=sc&lang=en

Sevilla and Benfica are going to penalties in the Europa League Final right now on Fox Sports 1.

Sevilla won on penalties but Benfica got screwed. On every attempt by Benfica, the Sevilla keeper came off his line as soon as the kick taker started forward toward the ball. The rule is that the keeper cannot come off of his line until the ball is kicked.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footba...d=1290872.html

Forgot to mention this earlier in the week.

QPR beat Wigan (yay, they're out!) on aggregate, 2-1, and Derby County eliminated Brighton & Hove 6-2 on aggregate.

Next Saturday, the 24th, is the Football League Championship Promotion Playoff Final at Wembely (9:00 am Central) - Queens Park Rangers vs Derby County. The winner will join Leicester City and Burnley in the Barclay's Premier League next season.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Financial Fair Play catching up to the "powder" Blues, PSG.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...t-uefa-3472657
    "FFP rules violations: Manchester City fined 60m euros, ordered to limit UCL squad, cap wages for 2 years"

I haven't had a chance to read the details to see how restrictive this is. UEFA has never really enforced Financial Fair Play rules before so I'm skeptical about this having any teeth behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    "FFP rules violations: Manchester City fined 60m euros, ordered to limit UCL squad, cap wages for 2 years"

I haven't had a chance to read the details to see how restrictive this is. UEFA has never really enforced Financial Fair Play rules before so I'm skeptical about this having any teeth behind it.
    It doesn't sound like it will affect City or PSG all that much (the two clubs with the biggest penalties). Actually, PSG will have it a bit worse than City. They both have to limit spending for the next couple years (City can "only" spend 60 million this Summer) and have to reduce their UCL squads to 21 available players next year (25 is standard). However, both clubs only used 21 players in the Champions League and City always shits the bed in Europe anyway.

The main thing, I think, will be the strictness of how much of a loss, financially, each club will be allowed. PSG actually has to break even the year after next which could be tough to do. Also, both sides' wage budgets are frozen to what they were this year.

Ultimately, unless there is something I'm missing, this is no deterrent to anyone. Which, really, has been the consensus since FFP was introduced.

In half an hour, the FA Cup Final is on FOX. Arsenal vs Hull City. If you don't know, Arsenal has gone trophy-less for 9 years. I hope that continues.

If the Tigers pull the upset, it will be a huge financial boost to a club who was in the FLC last season, as they would qualify for the Europa League.

Hull City leads 2-1 at halftime.

If the result holds, I can continue using this picture.

uploadfromtaptalk1400345543424.jpg

On to Extra Time at Wembely, level at 2.

ESPN- Atletico Madrid win La Liga after holding Barcelona to 1-1 draw. Atleti's first league title since 1996.

Good to see someone besides Real Madrid and Barcelona win La Liga.

Well, dammit. Arsenal win in Extra Time, 3-2.

I dig the Chelsea away kit for next year.

The dude abides.

I looked at that over the weekend with my daughter but wasn't sure if it was official because the Chelsea website only had the home kit and the goalkeeper kit.

We saw an alternate kit that looked pretty good too.

The keeper one is RED, but it actually looks pretty good with a sort of "wing" design similar to the shoulders on an Oregon jersey.

I think my daughter was angling for the red one which, of course, she will get eventually.

Landon Donovan not on World Cup roster.

http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/i...-squad?cc=5901

I do not think it really matters. Does anyone really see us getting out of Group G?

No, I don't. And I agree with Klinsmann's plans. The only way this team ever improves to the point of hoping to compete for world Cup titles is by building up our young players and giving them experience on the world stage in preparation for 2018. Donovan's been a great player with a great career, but he obviously didn't fit the new mold being planned for the USMNT.

As for everyone in social media bashing Klinsmann because he dared to leave a popular big name, aging, player off the roster for a young talent to get experience, well, they're fucking morons. I'll trust someone with the pedigree and track record like Klinsmann over these fucking idiots pretending to be the greatest tactical minds the football world has ever seen from their keyboards.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass

Atletico leads Real 1-0 at halftime in the UCL Final. I hope Atletico holds on to win it.