Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pastapadre: NCAA Sales Down Two Years In A Row (Maybe)

• Facebook
  • Display

Pastapadre: NCAA Sales Down Two Years In A Row (Maybe)

http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/07/25...from-last-year

I once did a comparison of units sold and $ sold from the "glory years" 04-06 and those games outsold the next-gen versions by a ton. The series has just been in decline for a long time.

I've put up comparisons a few times, too, and I'm pretty sure it's more than 2 years in a row with declining sales. It's simple really - all these games have something majorly wrong with it that completely hampers the experience. Just like defense this year. People aren't going to continue to buy a franchise year in and year out that has problems.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    I've put up comparisons a few times, too, and I'm pretty sure it's more than 2 years in a row with declining sales. It's simple really - all these games have something majorly wrong with it that completely hampers the experience. Just like defense this year. People aren't going to continue to buy a franchise year in and year out that has problems.
    +1

I think you are right but I seem to recall a brief increase in sales with the add on of ODs. Not huge or anything to get it back to the PS2 days but an increase from the REALLY bad year 1st year ps3/360.

But my memory is foggy at this point and i'm too lazy to do the work b/c i don't think anyone serious here really disputes that the series is/has been/ and probably will continue to decline for the foreseeable future.

NCAA '10 had 2.29 million units sold. '11 had 2.08 million. '12 had 1.76 million. '13 had 1.68 million.

'10 and '11 included the PS2 versions, but that's irrelevant because as the next gen systems became cheaper, those users should have adopted either the 360 or PS3.

That's 3 years in decline with '14 likely being #4.

I wonder how long before someone at EA hq decides to pull the plug on the Tiburon team and try out a different studio for college football? NCAA football is a great series but at the most basic level it hasn't really changed at all this entire gen and it's only been in the last few years where most features have returned.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/07/25...from-last-year

I once did a comparison of units sold and $ sold from the "glory years" 04-06 and those games outsold the next-gen versions by a ton. The series has just been in decline for a long time.
    that can have just as much to do that people didn't buy next gen systems yet and knew a new system game was stripped down. Also this is ultimately a toy parents buy for their kids, its not some big ticket item people do comparison shopping for. It may have nothing to with people not liking a football game and more to do with the economy. You really have no proof of either in this case. There are people that don't need the new version every year. They are happy playing offline and use the same game for 2 or three years.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    that can have just as much to do that people didn't buy next gen systems yet and knew a new system game was stripped down. Also this is ultimately a toy parents buy for their kids, its not some big ticket item people do comparison shopping for. It may have nothing to with people not liking a football game and more to do with the economy. You really have no proof of either in this case. There are people that don't need the new version every year. They are happy playing offline and use the same game for 2 or three years.
    Allow me to translate: "facts are overrated" ........

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
    Allow me to translate: "facts are overrated" ........

numbers don't prove or disprove or explain why people did or didn't buy a game ultimately. And its a big assumption that people don't buy it because it insults their football knowledge and how they perceive it should be in a video game.

Well I put it this way. The PS2 games were highly regarded. The next gen games have not been highly regarded. The best performing PS2 games single handily outsold every iteration of the 360/PS3 versions combined. There are a lot more 360/PS3 owners than there were PS2 owners, too. It's pretty obvious why the sales have slacked off so greatly.

Well I put it this way. The PS2 games were highly regarded. The next gen games have not been highly regarded. The best performing PS2 games single handily outsold every iteration of the 360/PS3 versions combined. There are a lot more 360/PS3 owners than there were PS2 owners, too. It's pretty obvious why the sales have slacked off so greatly.
    more people had ps2's/xbox's in the beginning. PS2s/xboxs were cheaper, people didnt cross over yet. Now that they have there is no proof as to why they aren't buying this particular football game. I don't know if I'm right but theres still a lot of assuming here as to why sales are down. But I do know the general public doesn't buy a game based on a lot of football knowledge like the lunatic fringe here and OS etc

more people had ps2's/xbox's in the beginning. PS2s/xboxs were cheaper, people didnt cross over yet. Now that they have there is no proof as to why they aren't buying this particular football game. I don't know if I'm right but theres still a lot of assuming here as to why sales are down. But I do know the general public doesn't buy a game based on a lot of football knowledge like the lunatic fringe here and OS etc
    But the bottom line is, less people are buying the game now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
    But the bottom line is, less people are buying the game now.
    LOL yep,pretty much

LOL yep,pretty much
    Which I think (fact) was the original point. As to why this is the fact I think IOU said "problems" with the games and gave defense as an example(there are many)...........you hypothesized the economy. I think both are valid depending on each individual that has stopped buying the game.

If it was the economy, Call of Duty wouldn't be breaking records with 20,000,000+ copies sold every year. Just saying.

If EA makes a GOOD college football game, they'll sell as well or better than than did in the previous generation. Not a doubt in my mind. But, they need to be consistently good. The thing that screwed them over was the engine they used before infinity engine. It was straight up garbage. Horrible graphics, horrible animations, sluggish, terrible physics, etc...For years they just tweaked it and made the best they could out of it. They bring in the new engine this year, and guess what? Even with the problems, it's easily the best football game this generation.

For next gen, if they're able to have a good engine right out of the gate, then they can take those 2 or 3 years to tweak everything and get it right.

Well isn't nearly all things down in sales in comparisons to their 2003-2006?

What maybe not the iPhone but can't think of much else, especially video games.

If it was the economy, Call of Duty wouldn't be breaking records with 20,000,000+ copies sold every year. Just saying.
    People like their violence

Plus that game isn't complicated. They dumb it down and little 11-12 yr olds can play it because their parents get it for them.

They will pick that game 20x over before picking a sports game of course. You can pick any COD game up right now without ever playing it and be good at it. It's easy. Sports games are a little more difficult, not entirely but still

Doesn't mean COD games are quality and good...just means they already got the consumer and they will buy anything...especially 11-12 year olds.

GTA will do the same. Violence...and 11-12 year olds will be buying it.
    Last edited by skipwondah33; 07-25-2013 at 03:38 PM.

If EA makes a GOOD college football game, they'll sell as well or better than than did in the previous generation. Not a doubt in my mind. But, they need to be consistently good. The thing that screwed them over was the engine they used before infinity engine. It was straight up garbage. Horrible graphics, horrible animations, sluggish, terrible physics, etc...For years they just tweaked it and made the best they could out of it. They bring in the new engine this year, and guess what? Even with the problems, it's easily the best football game this generation.

For next gen, if they're able to have a good engine right out of the gate, then they can take those 2 or 3 years to tweak everything and get it right.
    I agree with you but I do think the economy has some influence. In a roaring economy maybe some of those COD fans buy another game as well, perhaps NCAA.

Point being, it's breaking records. I just have to assume that if the economy is the reason why someone isn't willing to fork over $60 for NCAA, then that would also hold true for all video games, which isn't the case. To me, it boils right down to people having bought previous iterations, realized it's going to have problems, and just decided that it's not worth the yearly investment until it becomes a good franchise again.

Point being, it's breaking records. I just have to assume that if the economy is the reason why someone isn't willing to fork over $60 for NCAA, then that would also hold true for all video games, which isn't the case. To me, it boils right down to people having bought previous iterations, realized it's going to have problems, and just decided that it's not worth the yearly investment until it becomes a good franchise again.
    I think it's a culture thing myself

Weather COD is shit or not people are still buying it. One because it is addicting but still it's easy to play.

You can't say that every year COD games are good and worth buying every year. They are the same thing just different maps and guns.

BUT again as I said, more kids are playing COD than football. It's not hard to understand and any one of them fuckers can get online and get good at it glitching up a storm.

Plus they want to play what they are not suppose to be playing. My nephew and everyone of his friends get every COD game that comes out. They don't know anything about graphics, gameplay, new features. All they know is it's a new COD game!!!!! woooooo!!!!

They are all 11-13

I don't know many true fans of a team or football at the age of 11-13. But I know alot that are fans of violence, shooting their friends in a game and doing something they know isn't real.
    Last edited by skipwondah33; 07-25-2013 at 03:47 PM.