Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract [UPDATED with EA Statement]

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    They could get sued for that as well. It's not as solid as the current case but a conspiracy theory would certainly be enough to satisfy the Plaintiffs' lawyers. Just like Napster et al. "technically" didn't do anything wrong they still got sued into oblivion for creating a product that allowed "wrongs" to occur.
    Kinda different though. Napster was allowing people to download licensed music.

Online roster editor enables people to change numbers around, as long as it's not for profit...

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineJay View Post
    Unfortunately this is the end for college football games I feel. I mean the cost and time to license every fight song, stadium, team entrance, uniform, mascots, and school logo would be a massive undertaking for a yearly title release. I have followed the lawsuit and quite frankly figured the NCAA was going to pull out of their partnership with EA Sports as soon as they could which I guess is June 2014.

RIP NCAA Football, 21 years in the video game industry is a heck of a run. My condolences go out to all who will lose their job over this decision.
    The CLC is tied into all of that, they don't have to go indivually on it.

EA should let its internet cult of followers know how the future pans out. Like , how long will teambuilder stay up etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    The CLC is tied into all of that, they don't have to go indivually on it.
    EA would have to license the BCS and every major bowl or just go the generic route like NCAA Football 99 with fake bowls and a 16 team playoff.

i dont think it is the end... because once the NCAA is removed, then it just the universities to blame... but the counter to that is how much does any of the Ducks' players make off the crap load of apparel i buy each year?

NONE.

so if the players want to sue because of the University having a team in the game, in which it is released as all players being 4'1" weighing 150 lbs and having green skin on the game and all players have "00" as their number then so be it... (just give us that online editor to do all 120+ teams outrselves... case closed) right after they sue for selling a #6 jersey, #8 jersey tee, and any other stuff i buy that has their "likeness" on it...

Someone give Bill a call to be on the cover of the 15 game, just for old times sake!
    Need to perform a seance.

Kinda different though. Napster was allowing people to download licensed music.

Online roster editor enables people to change numbers around, as long as it's not for profit...
    And race; height; weight; Hometown; equipment; Name; etc... - which Plaintiffs lawyers equate to "likeness"

Online roster editor allows people to download the unauthorized "likeness" of college athletes w/o their consent (or so goes the logic of Plaintiffs' lawyers).

Could it be done? Probably if it was ONLY a number? But with people here flipping out about wrong heights; weights; race; socks; helmets; dreads; etc....

you really think a title with all that being wrong would sell? i doubt it.

again... universities already make money off apparel from these guys... so there is no difference

Quote Originally Posted by DertyMat View Post
    Well Video game companies are always getting sued or are in litigation. They have a budget for such things because the world is so Sue hungry. I worked on the past two Call of Duties and there legal team has to be the most difficult to work with because they have so much money going out in lawsuits. We were constantly removing stuff from the game.

Im sure every release has a legal budget for stuff like this. Frivolous or not they usually settle.
    What?

how long will NCAA 13 servers be live ? are they dead already ?

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Need to perform a seance.
    Yeah forgot he was dead

EA would have to license the BCS and every major bowl or just go the generic route like NCAA Football 99 with fake bowls and a 16 team playoff.
    The CLC represents nearly 200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy, and the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
    Or they pay the players.
    NCAA wouldn't allow that
    they do...just in a different way

Unfortunately this is the end for college football games I feel. I mean the cost and time to license every fight song, stadium, team entrance, uniform, mascots, and school logo would be a massive undertaking for a yearly title release. I have followed the lawsuit and quite frankly figured the NCAA was going to pull out of their partnership with EA Sports as soon as they could which I guess is June 2014.

RIP NCAA Football, 21 years in the video game industry is a heck of a run. My condolences go out to all who will lose their job over this decision.
    Well that's the point of some of what has been said in this forum. The CLC and EA will have to work something out. EA only has to pay the CLC.

mattbertz @mattbertz
    ESPN reports that EA Sports will continue to make college football games without the NCAA's participation.
    12:46 PM - 17 Jul 2013
    per twitter

Wrong, The CLC has all those licenses as well Look at there site, they basically have licenses to EVERY bowl and team. Not sure about Notre Lame(go Trojans) though.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-contract.aspx

Wrong, The CLC has all those licenses as well Look at there site, they basically have licenses to EVERY bowl and team. Not sure about Notre Lame(go Trojans) though.
    Notre Dame is separate, but EA already has a deal with Notre Dame themselves.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    The dude abides.

Sorry JBHusker I keep repeating what your saying, this thread is moving fast. OFF TOPIC: I noticed some of you guys kept your NCAASTRATEGIES.com Forum names, did you have to re-sign up here? is there a thread? can i use my old Username and have all my stats?

Sorry JBHusker I keep repeating what your saying, this thread is moving fast. OFF TOPIC: I noticed some of you guys kept your NCAASTRATEGIES.com Forum names, did you have to re-sign up here? is there a thread? can i use my old Username and have all my stats?
    Since we're not associated at all with that site, you do have to re-register.