View Poll Results: How would you rate NCAA 14?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Best

36 34.95%

45 43.69%

17 16.50%

3 2.91%
  • 1 - Worst

2 1.94%
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 14 - General Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    II see Promises under recruiting but I never knew I could do that. Is that something you unlock as you get to be a better coach?
    The only promises you can make are during the end of season tasks, keeping someone from leaving early to turn pro or transferring. I was pretty disappointed with recruiting in 14, while I was never really heavy into recruiting, the past few NCAA's turned me around to the point I looked forward to recruiting battles.

I do think the inside running game is a bit over-powered compared to the outside running game. It's not Madden bad where inside ISOs are practically money plays but it's noticeable to me.

I see Promises under recruiting but I never knew I could do that. Is that something you unlock as you get to be a better coach?
    Yeah, the inside running game is definitely king compared to the outside in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    The only promises you can make are during the end of season tasks, keeping someone from leaving early to turn pro or transferring. I was pretty disappointed with recruiting in 14, while I was never really heavy into recruiting, the past few NCAA's turned me around to the point I looked forward to recruiting battles.
    I'm sort of split. I like the changes to the recruiting, it desperately needed a breathe of fresh air. They made it a little simpler in the week to week aspect of dealing with recruits and time spent on them. There were still so many improvements they could have made though. Another year or two of work, and the team may have been able to get recruiting down pretty damn pat.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, the inside running game is definitely king compared to the outside in this game.

I'm sort of split. I like the changes to the recruiting, it desperately needed a breathe of fresh air. They made it a little simpler in the week to week aspect of dealing with recruits and time spent on them. There were still so many improvements they could have made though. Another year or two of work, and the team may have been able to get recruiting down pretty damn pat.
    All I know is recruiting at small schools is a heck of a lot harder. At UNLV my classes are awful (usually between 50-70th overall. Currently I am putting all my coach skills into recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    All I know is recruiting at small schools is a heck of a lot harder. At UNLV my classes are awful (usually between 50-70th overall. Currently I am putting all my coach skills into recruiting.
    Same here. My one and only recruiting class so far ended up ranked 55th, thanks in part to a slew of one and two star signings during the final weeks of the season and off-season. I think I've put one or two skill points into gameplanning (or whatever it's called), but everything else has been thrown into recruiting. It's my only chance to stay competitive with everyone else. Right now, trying to sign a 3-star is like trying to sign a 5-star, it's a season-long battle between at least two or three different teams, having to pour as many points as I can into the kid.

How many points per week do you guys get for recruiting? I had 5000 in my first year but it is giving me 5500 in my second year. I hit level 5 after my first year. Are the point totals based on upgrades, overall coaching level or anything else?

I like that recruiting is tough but I wish they would have kept the difficulty option.

How many points per week do you guys get for recruiting? I had 5000 in my first year but it is giving me 5500 in my second year. I hit level 5 after my first year. Are the point totals based on upgrades, overall coaching level or anything else?

I like that recruiting is tough but I wish they would have kept the difficulty option.
    http://www.easports.com/ncaa-footbal...4-coach-skills

Here’s the full list of Recruiting skills, with a first-level description of the benefits.

Locksmith - Get back into locked-out recruiting battles. You can unlock up to five prospects in a year, but you must be in the prospect's top 10 and have offered a scholarship.

Level 1: Open one locked recruit per season. You need to be within 2000 points of the last place team to use this skill.

Scouting- You have a knack for discovering some of the best high school talent in America. You can scout more efficiently and for less.

Level 1: Increased scouting efficiency allows you to uncover around 25% of a prospect’s true skills each week for 50 points.

Royal Treatment- Your entire staff goes the extra mile to make sure prospects have great visits.

Level 1: you will receive a bonus of +100 points the week a recruit visits your school,

The Opener- You have an early edge on your competition during recruiting.

Level 1: Increase your recruiting points total by +500 points in weeks 1-7.

The Closer- You have an edge on your competition late in the season during recruiting.

Level 1: Increase your recruiting points total by +500 points in weeks 8 through 15.

Letter of Intent- You really know how to close out the deal on signing day.

Level 1: You gain +1500 extra recruiting points for the off-season and a 5% chance you will steal a prospect from their top school.

Pipelines- You specialize in getting to know high school coaches.

Level 1: You only need five players minimum, from a state, to declare it a Pipeline (six is default).

Kitchen Sink- Your work ethic is second to none and it pays dividends on the recruiting trail. You can assign even more points to a prospect each week.

Level 1: Each recruit can have +50 extra points assigned to them each week.

Insta-Commit- You've got the gift. Nobody makes a better first impression or closes a deal faster. You must be that prospect's top school.

Level 1: You gain a +5% chance of an instant commitment, when you offer a scholarship.

Thanks!

Thanks!
    You mentioned that you liked that recruiting was tough. Well, once you fill out your recruiting tree this will no longer be true. Here are the house rules I had to implement regarding recruiting to make it more realistic (in addition to my "can only recruit to 70 total guys" rule that I've always had in every version of NCAA).

Limit my recruiting skill tree. I can only put 2 points into the following skills:
    • Royal Treatment
    • Opener
    • Closer
    • Kitchen Sink (have to spend 3 points to get 20 point requirement. CANNOT SPEND MORE THAN 600 PER RECRUIT)
    • Letter of Intent
    • Insta-commit

Can't recruit any player that is more than 1* higher than my school's prestige unless I'm in their top 10 or they're from home state.
    ***When adding recruits during the season, can only add someone that has me in his top 10 already.
    No more than 20% of a class can be ATHs

The recruiting skill tree limitations and the *** rule above both made a HUGE difference in recruiting. My last class with a 6* school in 2019 before I changed was 7 5*, 9 4*, 2 3* and every one of those guys was signed during the season and I didn't even have to recruit anyone in the offseason since I was already @ 70 guys. The last class I had with all of these restrictions in place was 1 5*, 8 4*, 3 3*, 1 2*.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I had the #39 class at Miss St my first year which was pretty realistic. But that's with almost no recruiting upgrades. I will follow your suggestions. I may just upgrade the closer skills (first half, second half) and stop upgrading myself at all after that. I don't really want to upgrade much in my gameplan stuff since I don't want to get cheats on the field either.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I had the #39 class at Miss St my first year which was pretty realistic. But that's with almost no recruiting upgrades. I will follow your suggestions. I may just upgrade the closer skills (first half, second half) and stop upgrading myself at all after that. I don't really want to upgrade much in my gameplan stuff since I don't want to get cheats on the field either.
    The only coach upgrades I wanted were matchup stick 2.0 (which is inferior to the original IMO). Everything else goes into recruiting. When you start at a small school it is really, really tough. However, progression in the game is far too fast IMO so a bad recruiting class is pretty solid within 1-2 seasons. Expect to have multiple 99's on your roster as the season pass by.

This game is so dumb when it comes to picking what games are televised locally, nationally, and the game if the week. #1 (7-0) vs. #11 (6-1) is playing on local tv while a pair of 4-4 teams are playing nationally, a 4-4 team is playing a 1-6 team nationally, a 2-7 team is playing a 1-6 team nationally, a 3-4 team is playing a 1-6 team nationally, and the GotW is #20 (6-2) vs. #14 (6-1).

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    This game is so dumb when it comes to picking what games are televised locally, nationally, and the game if the week. #1 (7-0) vs. #11 (6-1) is playing on local tv while a pair of 4-4 teams are playing nationally, a 4-4 team is playing a 1-6 team nationally, a 2-7 team is playing a 1-6 team nationally, a 3-4 team is playing a 1-6 team nationally, and the GotW is #20 (6-2) vs. #14 (6-1).
    Agreed on all fronts.

There are some things that could have made this game a lot better. I'm really enjoying it but a couple areas are weak. I loved the running game early on with the game but the inside running game is too easy. The guard/center get too much of a push. It should have been more balanced with the outside game imo. It's not as bad as Madden but this should have been tuned better. What makes this area worse is the cpu doesn't call short yardage run formations often enough. I hate seeing me lineup in a jumbo formation in short yardage and the cpu is sitting back in a basic 4-3 with both safeties back. What the heck?

The pass rush moves on the DL are really bad. Madden was better. Up on the r-stick was a swim. In this game the r-stick seems to do nothing. Furthermore just rushing the passer manually has a money move where you can sack the QB almost every time. I rarely even use a DL anymore just to avoid the temptation.

The cpu throwing the ball away for no good reason should have been fixed. Sometimes I've seen it happen almost 5 times in a game. It would be nice if they tuned FG kicking so it was actually hard on me. I'm not sure what happened. The slider worked a lot better in the past. Even at 0 it's too easy this year. Madden has been brutal for awhile but I don't remember it being like this in NCAA 11 or 12.

Other than that I think the game is the best NCAA in a long, long time. The option game is great and the cpu can challenge me although some dumb things throughout the game really tend to hurt them. In my second year with Miss St and fighting on. Stupid Ole Miss is stealing a ton of the top recruits we are fighting over right now.

I was amazed when CPU pulled their starting QB in the 2nd quarter after his second pick. Brought back to start the third but I thought that was cool. I can't remember if I've ever seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post

#1 (9-0) vs. #2 (9-0) NOT GotW

5-4 vs. 5-4 GotW

Do cpu kickers suck down the road? Only in my 2nd year I've run into two teams who had horrible kickers - rated in the low 60s with weak leg and terrible accuracy. Those teams were going for it on 4th down since they were not relying on their kicker.

I chose VERY SLOW for coach progression and I'm only level 7 at the end of the regular season in year two. My first two recruiting classes are lean. I need a few more boosts to help. I have 5 seniors on the OL and 4 were starters. The line will be hurting next year! Ole Miss has been a bitch this entire year scooping all the good OL on me. I had the front runner for the Heisman until my last game. I've never, ever won the Heisman before in NCAA. A weak final game hurt me (now 2nd at RB with over 1600 yards in 14 games, 4.6 or 4.8 ypc).

Do cpu kickers suck down the road? Only in my 2nd year I've run into two teams who had horrible kickers - rated in the low 60s with weak leg and terrible accuracy. Those teams were going for it on 4th down since they were not relying on their kicker.

I chose VERY SLOW for coach progression and I'm only level 7 at the end of the regular season in year two. My first two recruiting classes are lean. I need a few more boosts to help. I have 5 seniors on the OL and 4 were starters. The line will be hurting next year! Ole Miss has been a bitch this entire year scooping all the good OL on me. I had the front runner for the Heisman until my last game. I've never, ever won the Heisman before in NCAA. A weak final game hurt me (now 2nd at RB with over 1600 yards in 14 games, 4.6 or 4.8 ypc).
    I haven't noticed it all that much. It is no where near as bad as it was in 12.

Do cpu kickers suck down the road?
    No, at least not in my experience. I'm in year 7 and it seems like CPU FG ATT is automatic.

I'm using very slow progression too. I started level 3 (for full scouting), so my progression is a little skewed, but I'm getting to the point where I'm only upgrading once per season.

I started using Very Slow and I'm level 7 at the end of season two. I'm in the conference championship and have a bowl game so I could be better. I've decided I'm not going to upgrade any game skills for my head coach or co-ordinators. I don't want that affecting my sliders. I had upgraded my HC once in that area and 1-2 things for my OC and DC but I quit. I AM going to upgrade my recruiting until I get about 10-12 things. I started at 0 and have 6 upgrades now. I just hate how Ole Miss can put more than 500 points in every week and have great visits. They have stolen so many good recruits from me this year! In some ways I like it but they are winning those battles 80% of the time! If they want them they get them.

Ahh! Finished 2nd in Heisman voting.

Won the SEC Title over Florida 20-17 in OT. I was up 17-10 late in the game when their prayer was answered on 4th and 10.
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/178725031