Thread: Tips on controlling a defensive lineman?

• Facebook
  • Display

Tips on controlling a defensive lineman?

what buttons or right stick moves -PS3- are you supposed to do to get past a offensive lineman ?

I just weasel the right stick left and right. I tend to push up and diagonally or straight left/right for DEs (quicker guys) and I push more down as a DT. I'm not very good in this area and I'll be reading for advice. I usually play as a LB but will play as a DL in certain passing situations. I've started to use the player lock more and as a DL it's growing on me. I don't like player lock as a LB in coverage. I feel lost.

All the DL controls have been moved to the right stick. Right Stick Left & Right attempt to perform Finesse Moves to the respective side, while down is a Bull Rush / Power Move. I believe Up is "disengage".
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    All the DL controls have been moved to the right stick. Right Stick Left & Right attempt to perform Finesse Moves to the respective side, while down is a Bull Rush / Power Move. I believe Up is "disengage".
    Correct.

Right Stick left or right is also the swim move/break block move for linebackers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I just weasel the right stick left and right. I tend to push up and diagonally or straight left/right for DEs (quicker guys) and I push more down as a DT. I'm not very good in this area and I'll be reading for advice. I usually play as a LB but will play as a DL in certain passing situations. I've started to use the player lock more and as a DL it's growing on me. I don't like player lock as a LB in coverage. I feel lost.

Basically its for online play. In the ps2 days i felt it was AI abuse to be a lineman and rush in. But over time I feel that its not over effective as long as you are actually looking to engage the O lineman, as opposed to those children that feel the need to go wide and run in like a spoiled 5 year old after a cookie jar............what did I just type ?

Right. The "DL controls" are actually for any defender that's engaged with a blocker. Whether that be DL, LBs or DBs.

Sometimes I pull off a spin move and sometimes I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I wish we had more control over the exact moves.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Sometimes I pull off a spin move and sometimes I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I wish we had more control over the exact moves.
    I've done that as well. It's based on the abilities of the player you are using. If they are REALLY good at finesse moves, they'll do stuff like that (or the Reggie White club and rip move).

haha thats why i'm asking too.

I dont know if I need to do a move once or keep moving the stick?

Once. It's just like a juke with a HB.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Once. It's just like a juke with a HB.
    where's the club to the ear hole button ?

thats another thing that upsets me, equipment editor doesnt have the club wrapped hand this year damnit haha... I know , I know, that belongs in the teambuilder thread haha . just thought its worth a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    where's the club to the ear hole button ?

thats another thing that upsets me, equipment editor doesnt have the club wrapped hand this year damnit haha... I know , I know, that belongs in the teambuilder thread haha . just thought its worth a mention.
    Wasn't that in last year's game? Or was it in Madden?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
    Wasn't that in last year's game? Or was it in Madden?
    the club to the ear hole or the club tape wrap ?

the club tape wrap was in both last year.

Once in a while, you can hold the right stick either left or right and the DL will perform back to back moves on two different OL to get free. I find that the Power Move (down) usually results in my DL flat on the ground. The reward isn't there to use that regularly IMO. Overall, I just go back and forth between left and right on the Right Stick to try and get free. You can hit L1/R1 and he will jump, but I never time that right to manually bat down passes.