Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4, PS3, XB1, 360, PC)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Just bumping this thread. In my initial play through I was really confused as an RPG newb for the first 10 hours. By 20 hours I got a lot more comfortable. There are a ton of fetch quests and while you don't have to do all of them you will have to do quite a few because you need to earn "power" by doing things which will unlock main story missions and other parts of your map.

I really thought I would like the Witcher 3 more than DAI based on hearing the story was better, less fetch quests and the combat was supposed to be better. After playing 15 hours of the Witcher 3 and over 100 hours of DAI I can say this: W3 still has fetch quests, the combat is a lot better in DAI and the story in DAI isn't that bad. I also find the environment in DAI to be more interesting, colourful and better to explore in. I found I missed the party system quite a bit from DAI over playing with a single character in W3.

Now the Witcher 3 had less obvious fetch quests but they are still fetch quests even if they are dressed up a little more with cut scenes. When I had to chase down a goat in that game all I could think was - this isn't a blatant fetch quest? DAI had a ton of these things leading into collecting shards and doing constellation puzzles as well. While there were too many, the maps were littered with things to do which encouraged exploration. You wanted to explore everything and that was a good thing. You were always running into loot, bad guys, caves or things to do.

The combat is certainly different but I found W3's combat limited and very repetitive. While there is strategy pre-fight (what oils or spells to use) the actual combat felt weak (strike & dodge all the time). With DAI you get a ton of cool moves to use as you level up. I did find playing with a mage boring after awhile in DAI but the true beauty is to play with more than just your character. I am re-playing this game right now and have decided to run with a 2 handed warrior. But the last hour I played with Varric. Using his crossbow and more long range attacks was fun. He can also use stealth and disappear. A dual wielding rogue is part long range but more up close assassin vs a brawling warrior. Since I was just trying to learn the game my first play through I rarely used anyone other than my own character. This time I am mixing it up and having all kinds of different moves is cool. Besides your basic attack (R2) you can map 8 different attacks for your character (using L2 to get the secondary wheel). There are so many moves and options to upgrade as you choose what type of character you want. And each of the 4 different classes (warrior, rogue dual wield, rogue archer, mage) have a lot of different specializations. My warrior is just charge in and smash. I do have a grappling hook to pull guys in close and I also have a shield break right now when going up against humans with shields. Timing that move correct is nice. At the end of the day there is SO much more variety in combat in DAI. Major advantage imo if you are willing to play with all four members in your party. That IS intimidating on an initial play through as you have to learn how to use each person properly.

There are of course tedious RPG things to do. Besides a lot of different fetch quests you do have to collect a lot of herbs and ore in order to craft potions and weapons/armour. You don't have to craft a lot of things and can buy stuff from the merchants or just loot them. At least you can fast travel quickly and quickly upgrade something if you want unlike W3 where you had to hunt down an armourer with the right level. The horribly unresponsive loot button in W3 drove me nuts compared to the easy DAI approach of picking things up if you were anywhere close to them. Having to repair weapons and armour in W3 also felt extremely tedious. My second play through in DAI is a lot more comfortable since I don't have to learn anything in DAI and that helps too.

I put in roughly 140 hours on my second playthrough with DLC. Still pissed I started out on Hard and not Nightmare. Only spent the first 7-8 hours before bumping it up and that is the only trophy I need for my second platinum. I will probably do a third playthrough next year.

For those that may be interested in playing this game I had written down and copied notes from various places to help newbies to the game. There is so much to do and the game doesn't really teach you much about the game mechanics or the history of the world. I'm guessing most of you might find the endless quests too tedious but in case you wanted to give it a shot this may help.

If anybody else has any other points to add that I may have missed (if they feel like going over this) feel free to comment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Got my second platinum ever. Took 80 hours on my third play through. Didn't bother with shards and a lot of side quests. Could have probably done it a but faster on Nightmare but you do have to Level up more. Still have a lot of dragons I can go back and kill yet. I should add you don't need tactical cam on Nightmare like everyone claims but you do need to manage your parties potions.

I was a DW Rogue and specialized in Tempest. I wonder if I would have enjoyed the Assassin specialization more but I did like the lightning flask a lot which slowed time for you. In my three play throughs I enjoyed my two handed warrior best but the DW Rogue was close. Mage dead last. Without aiming mechanics the ranged characters don't have as much appeal to me.

The one character I would still like to try is a one handed, sword and shield warrior. If I play it again it won't be soon. Hopefully Skyrim will he fun. If not I am looking forward to For Honor.
    Last edited by Rudy; 10-23-2016 at 05:58 AM.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I haven't played a whole hell of a lot of this game, but the most fun I had while playing was the 2H Warrior as well. Back in DA Origins, Sword and Shield Warrior was the shizz. I used to tank the shit out of Flemith as a dragon like a boss super early in the game because of how incredibly overpowered the defensive stats were for the Sword and Shield Warrior in DAO.

I need to actually sit down and play this game though. I'll probably just buy the PS4 Game of the Year edition sometime down the road. I really want to play around with the DW Rogue though. Super disappointed that Mages suck so much now though. That was really the most fun I had in DAO was playing a Mage.

The GOTY edition is the way to go. All the DLC which gives some nice loot as well. I think I paid $24C for the GOTY edition digitally. The dark roads dlc is a lot of action but they are hard since the enemies all level up with you. That was impossible on Nightmare. The DLC gives you Trials options where you can level up the enemies if you want along with other options to make it harder.

I just ordered the GOTY edition. Getting it for $15. It's my primer for Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you have fun. Some things can be tedious. Just start on Hard difficulty for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Hope you have fun. Some things can be tedious. Just start on Hard difficulty for sure.
    I'm a Bioware vet. I've beaten Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 all on Insanity. I always did it on my 2nd play through through. Can you start a new game and import a character that completed the game already leveled up? You can in Mass Effect.

I don't think so.

What class are you going to play with?

What class are you going to play with?
    I had to research the classes as I didn't know them. I think play through 1 will be the Archer Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I had to research the classes as I didn't know them. I think play through 1 will be the Archer Rogue.

I think it's interesting that you are going with that when pretty much everyone has said the most fun way to play the game is two-handed warrior.

I really need to get around to playing this game (maybe once I pick it up on PS4).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I think it's interesting that you are going with that when pretty much everyone has said the most fun way to play the game is two-handed warrior.

I really need to get around to playing this game (maybe once I pick it up on PS4).
    I've never been a fan of melee classes in any game. I usually always play as the arrow guy or the mage.

I was the exact opposite. My first play through was as a Mage and it was OK. Maybe I enjoyed my next play through more because I knew what I was doing but I enjoyed the two hands warrior a lot more. A dual wielding rogue is really fun too. At least if you start as an archer you can switch to rogue and redo your stats if you want. Same with switching between one and two handed warrior. But a Mage is always a Mage. You can specialize later on with those classes but it's a pretty big decision. Without an aiming reticle I think long range fighting isn't as fun.

I made a running guide to help myself over time that you can check out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Wc/mobilebasic

I was the exact opposite. My first play through was as a Mage and it was OK. Maybe I enjoyed my next play through more because I knew what I was doing but I enjoyed the two hands warrior a lot more. A dual wielding rogue is really fun too. At least if you start as an archer you can switch to rogue and redo your stats if you want. Same with switching between one and two handed warrior. But a Mage is always a Mage. You can specialize later on with those classes but it's a pretty big decision. Without an aiming reticle I think long range fighting isn't as fun.

I made a running guide to help myself over time that you can check out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Wc/mobilebasic
    Wow, that's a pretty thorough guide. Damn. Nice Rudy.

I should say if you are a Mage you can choose a Knight Enchanter specialization which has a magic sword. There are some cool extra moves you unlock when you specialize after you reach Skyhold. Each class has three specializations which can be quite different. There are links in that guide for more info.

Archers aren't too bad as you can have some stealth moves. I find the poison and traps ineffective relatively. Whenever I would use a party member with archery I just used the bow moves and some stealth. It would be much better if you could combine archery with dual wield rogue and switch back and forth. That would be cool.

When I was DW Rogue I chose Tempest and it had some cool potions. I really enjoyed slowing time down while attacking for one of my moves. Sometimes I wish I chose Assassin. For my two handed warrior I think I chose Champion. I was a Kinght Enchanter as a Mage but your armour is the weakest of all classes sonyounstillncant walk into battles as a bad ass. You have to use Fade Step to help avoid getting hit. Tanks are great too as they can really take a ton of damage. They just don't deal out as much but you can almost guarantee they will be the last one standing even after being in the middle of things.
    Last edited by Rudy; 12-20-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Nice guide, Rudy!

It's here!
    I've been watching class build videos by a guy named KineticGTR on YouTube. I'm gonna try to build a Tempest Archer build. Building a character in this game is definitely more complex than in the original Mass Effect trilogy. It sounds like Andromeda is going to take the DAI route in terms of classes.

Andromeda is taking a much more flexible route I believe in classes. You can grab items from many different class trees. DAI is very strict. A rogue can only upgrade within the rogue tree.

Either way the upgrades and huge variety in abilities is the strength of the game imo. It keeps the game fresh as you play since you are always upgrading and adding new things to do. It makes combat fun even if it's more arcade dungeon crawling than strategic.

Andromeda is taking a much more flexible route I believe in classes. You can grab items from many different class trees. DAI is very strict. A rogue can only upgrade within the rogue tree.

Either way the upgrades and huge variety in abilities is the strength of the game imo. It keeps the game fresh as you play since you are always upgrading and adding new things to do. It makes combat fun even if it's more arcade dungeon crawling than strategic.
    Yeah, from what I've heard and read, you'll be able to essentially use whatever skills you want once they're unlocked. That's a lot different than the original trilogy where each class had a set of skills pre-set and it was up to the player how they wanted to spec those skills out. For instance, here are the Sentinel (my favorite class) skills sans bonus power.
    From what I see of DAI, it's a lot more flexible than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk