Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

• Facebook
  • Display

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Oh my!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/...person-shooter (trailer is found on this site)

Activision has announced a new game based on The Walking Dead. Not to be confused with Telltale’s episodic The Walking Dead adventure game, Activision’s version is a first-person action game based on AMC’s The Walking Dead TV show.

Developed by Terminal Reality, The Walking Dead will revolve around Daryl Dixon and his brother Merle on a “haunting, unforgiving quest to make their way to the supposed safety of Atlanta.” Players will control Daryl as they attempt to avoid detection from zombies that hunt using sight, sound and smell and will choose between fighting them or using stealth to avoid detection. According to Activision, “No place is truly safe for Daryl as he makes his way through the Georgia countryside in this new, post-apocalyptic world.”

Supplies will be scarce and players will need to carefully manage food, ammunition and supplies as they make their way through the game. Daryl will encounter “a slew of other characters” along the way that can help or hurt him. Whether or not these characters accompany Daryl is completely up to the player and “represents just some of the major decisions that will constantly be made while fighting to survive.”

The Walking Dead will hit stores in 2013 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Few other details are available, but check out the game’s official site for more info in the future. Until then, keep an eye out for all the latest announcements about The Walking Dead TV show before it returns to AMC for season three later this year.

I was just going to post this. Looks freakin good. I like the fact that it will be stealthy and not just run and kill everything.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    I was just going to post this. Looks freakin good. I like the fact that it will be stealthy and not just run and kill everything.
    Plus supplies are going to be REALLY limited.

As much as I would love for it to be awesome, the fact that it's published by Activison makes me cringe. 99% chance that it's shit.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    As much as I would love for it to be awesome, the fact that it's published by Activison makes me cringe. 99% chance that it's shit.
    Made by Terminal Reality, who really doesn't have a very impressive resume either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_Reality

But you never know.

Yeah, a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. I'd almost bet it's some generic shooter skinned with The Walking Dead universe, but I do hope it turns out to be good. I'm not holding my breath, though.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - March 2013

Ugh. Not a good start with this trailer:

Trailer is certainly not encouraging but this developer interview is at least slightly better if you can tolerate Greg Miller.

I'm not touching that. I'm ready for the next season of the TellTale game.

The developer interview helped a little, but it doesn't look or sound all that impressive right now. They probably should have kept the lid on this one for a while longer.

Well this is made by Terminal Reality, who didn't really that great of a job on Kinect Star Wars.

Unless they really wow me, this has gone from a day one to a wait til it's $15.

Though it uses real game footage, the trailer is a "fake."

The gameplay trailer for The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts published yesterday was in fact made by a fan and is not a genuine asset from Activision or developer Terminal Reality, though it does use actual in-game footage.

Activision community manager Dan Amrich explained on his blog that the video was created by a fan using footage from an IGN video preview of the game.

Amrich apologized for posting the video in the first place and for "being part of the misinformation and the constant problem of unreliable information found on the Internet."

The video, originally posted to a YouTube account that has since been deleted, caused a stir upon its release yesterday, with many gamers bemoaning its quality.

Survival Instincts was announced in July 2012 and is based on AMC's The Walking Dead TV series. It will be set in rural Georgia and focus on brothers Daryl and Merle Dixon. Players will be able to choose whether to confront the undead head-on or attempt to avoid detection.

Survival Instincts is currently in development at Terminal Reality. That studio's previous credits include Atari's Ghostbusters: The Video Game, as well as Majesco's BloodRayne and BloodRayne 2. The company's most recent release was Kinect Star Wars.

Survival Instincts is scheduled to arrive sometime in 2013 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

Courtesy: GameSpot

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    It still looks like complete shit. Those are some Arma II-esque graphics for a "Next Gen" game.

The whole idea of being able to push past the zombies with no real threat from being bitten or anything is just dumb as shit.

Well that is somewhat reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    It still looks like complete shit. Those are some Arma II-esque graphics for a "Next Gen" game.

The whole idea of being able to push past the zombies with no real threat from being bitten or anything is just dumb as shit.
    You aren't a fan of Max Headroom hair?

I never got the feeling - even from the dev interview - that the story will be very strong or deep, though that could change. I can understand some 'avoidance,' but there also has to be plenty of areas where you have no choice but to fight (or find ways to distract & fight) to feel like the show.

Unless you make it an interactive story like Telltale did. I don't think anyone is going to be able to make a full fledged game that is going to satisfy everyone in terms of how close it is to the show and comic's feel.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Unless you make it an interactive story like Telltale did. I don't think anyone is going to be able to make a full fledged game that is going to satisfy everyone in terms of how close it is to the show and comic's feel.
    You have to think that the success of the Telltale's game is directly going to lead to the non-success that is most likely going to be this game. There are a million action zombie games out already (Left 4 Dead, Dead Island, DayZ, COD:BO2 Zombie bullshit, etc), why would I want to play this instead of one of those? This looks no different than any of those (and, as I said before, close to DayZ's graphic style). I most definitely won't be playing this game unless it gets mega hyped up by consumers after the fact.

I will play, but don't necessarily want, a straight forward or even open world zombie game. I'm not sure which direction this goes in, but I would like someone to perfect the DayZ model where you're at day zero, how do you get day 30, day 60, and so on.

Official Trailer:

Another thing that worries me about the quality of this game, the starting price point is $49.99.