Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Read option?

• Facebook
  • Display
    I'll have to try the Miss St. playbook against a scrub opponent. I've used Michigan and am using Oregon's right now. I like the offset Read Option with the HB dive up the middle on it. I'll try Miss. St soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    It's read option, but it's with the RB flexed in Shotgun (so the RB is a step behind the QB), with this setup, the RB actually runs the read option downhill instead of the to the outside.
    I've always loved these shotgun formations(the HB a little further back than the QB). it just seems like the hand-off occurs more naturally to me and I typically can get a better running game out of them compare to "normal" shotgun formations, plus they tend to have inside runs as well.

to add to it, the Shotgun - 4WR Trio and Shotgun - 4WR Trio Str (I think those are the correct ones, they are also in the Mississippi State book as well I believe) also features the HB in a "flex" formation. not sure about the read option out of them though, none of the playbooks I'm currently use have those formations in it.

agreed ^^

what i dont get... is that Oregon... runs maybe 2-3 formations all year where the RB is in traditional alignment... otherwise he is offset... it helps with the mesh timing for the zone read... also allows an "over the top" handoff that the defense cant see... which provides a NASTY boot off of it...

"E"

Quote Originally Posted by Solidice View Post
    I've always loved these shotgun formations(the HB a little further back than the QB). it just seems like the hand-off occurs more naturally to me and I typically can get a better running game out of them compare to "normal" shotgun formations, plus they tend to have inside runs as well.
    This right here pretty much summarizes the point of the Pistol too. Namely "more natural" plus the obvious downhill nature.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud