Thread: 2012-13 College Football Bowl Season - Schedule & Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

2012-13 College Football Bowl Season - Schedule & Discussion

Bowl Teams Location Stadium Date/Time Network
    Nevada vs. Arizona Albuquerque, NM University Stadium Dec. 15 - 1 PM ESPN
    Toledo vs. Utah State Boise, ID Bronco Stadium Dec. 15 - 4:30 PM ESPN
    BYU vs. San Diego State San Diego Qualcomm Stadium Dec. 20 - 8 PM ESPN
    UCF vs. Ball State St. Petersburg, FL Tropicana Field Dec. 21 - 7:30 PM ESPN
    East Carolina vs. UL-Lafayette New Orleans Superdome Dec. 22 - Noon ESPN
    Washington vs. Boise State Las Vegas Sam Boyd Stadium Dec. 22 - 3:30 PM ESPN
    Fresno State vs. SMU Honolulu Aloha Stadium Dec. 24 - 8 PM ESPN
    Western Kentucky vs. Central Michigan Detroit Ford Field Dec. 26 - 7:30 PM ESPN
    San Jose State vs. Bowling Green Washington DC RFK Stadium Dec. 27 - 3 PM ESPN
    Cincinnati vs. Duke Charlotte, NC Bank of America Stadium Dec. 27 - 6:30 PM ESPN
    Baylor vs. UCLA San Diego Qualcomm Stadium Dec. 27 - 9:45 PM ESPN
    Ohio vs. UL-Monroe Shreveport, LA Independence Stadium Dec. 28 - 2 PM ESPN
    Rutgers vs. Virginia Tech Orlando Florida Citrus Bowl Dec. 28 - 5:30 PM ESPN
    Minnesota vs. Texas Tech Houston Reliant Stadium Dec. 28 - 9 PM ESPN
    Rice vs. Air Force Fort Worth Amon G. Carter Stadium Dec. 29 - 11:45 AM ESPN
    West Virginia vs. Syracuse Bronx, NY Yankee Stadium Dec. 29 - 3:15 PM ESPN
    Navy vs. Arizona State San Francisco AT&T Park Dec. 29 - 4 PM ESPN2
    Texas vs. Oregon State San Antonio Alamodome Dec. 29 - 6:45 PM ESPN
    :BWW_Bowl" TCU vs. Michigan State Tempe, AZ Sun Devil Stadium Dec. 29 - 10:15 PM ESPN
    NC State vs. Vanderbilt Nasvhville LP Field Dec. 31 - Noon ESPN
    USC vs. Georgia Tech El Paso, TX Sun Bowl Dec. 31 - 2 PM CBS
    Iowa State vs. Tulsa Memphis, TN Liberty Bowl Dec. 31 - 3:30 PM ESPN
    LSU vs. Clemson Atlanta Georgia Dome Dec. 31 - 7:30 PM ESPN
    :TaxSlayer_Gator: Mississippi State vs. Northwestern Jacksonville Everbank Field Jan. 1 - Noon ESPN2
    Purdue vs. Oklahoma State Dallas Cotton Bowl Jan. 1 - Noon ESPNU
    South Carolina vs. Michigan Tampa, FL Raymond James Stadium Jan. 1 - 1 PM ESPN
    Georgia vs. Nebraska Orlando Florida Citrus Bowl Jan. 1 - 1 PM ABC
    Wisconsin vs. Stanford Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl Jan. 1 - 5 PM ESPN
    Northern Illinois vs. Florida State Miami Sun Life Stadium Jan. 1 - 8:30 PM ESPN
    Louisville vs. Florida New Orleans Superdome Jan. 2 - 8:30 PM ESPN
    Oregon vs. Kansas State Glendale, AZ U. of Phoenix Stadium Jan. 3 - 8:30 PM ESPN
    Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma Arlington, TX Cowboys Stadium Jan. 4 - 8 PM FOX
    Pittsburgh vs. Ole Miss Birmingham, AL Legion Field Jan. 5 - 1 PM ESPN
    Kent State vs. Arkansas State Mobile, AL Ladd-Peebles Stadium Jan. 6 - 9 PM ESPN
    Notre Dame vs. Alabama Miami Sun Life Stadium Jan. 7 - 8:30 PM ESPN
    Last edited by cdj; 12-03-2012 at 01:04 PM.

I'm seeing on Twitter that 9-3 LA Tech will not be in a bowl game. Some confusion on whether they turned down an invite or got overlooked. LA Tech has the #1 offense in the country.

Seems all but official that Nebraska's mauling by Wisconsin helped push Northern Illinois into the Orange Bowl vs. Florida State. The Sooners now get A&M in the Cotton Bowl. Great match-up, but OU/Big 12 probably upset on missing out on the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I'm seeing on Twitter that 9-3 LA Tech will not be in a bowl game. Some confusion on whether they turned down an invite or got overlooked. LA Tech has the #1 offense in the country.

Seems all but official that Nebraska's mauling by Wisconsin helped push Northern Illinois into the Orange Bowl vs. Florida State. The Sooners now get A&M in the Cotton Bowl. Great match-up, but OU/Big 12 probably upset on missing out on the extra money.
    If a 9-3 team does not end up in a bowl game but a half dozen (or however many) 6-6 teams do, that's fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    If a 9-3 team does not end up in a bowl game but a half dozen (or however many) 6-6 teams do, that's fucked up.
    Let's be honest. Bowl games are dumb. The MNC is the only one that means anything in any given year. You're right, it's fucked, but who cares?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Let's be honest. Bowl games are dumb. The MNC is the only one that means anything in any given year. You're right, it's fucked, but who cares?
    Smooth cares. You have just unleashed the rage of Smooth
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie

Playoffs.

Well, with no NHL, I don't give a shit about NBA until playoff time, and that shit they call football on Sundays, I do. I'll be watching as many bowl games as I can (at least those that look to be interesting, plus Navy's and Tulsa's guaranteed) over the next month before we end up in a sports black hole until March Madness.

That, and regardless of whether bowl games are dumb or not, they're around and aren't going anywhere, so may as well watch some extra college football while I/we still can and try to enjoy them, no matter how much some of them might suck or end up sucking.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Smooth cares. You have just unleashed the rage of Smooth

Damn, you know me too well.

From Twitter, it sounds like what happened is that Louisiana Tech got an invite from the Independence Bowl, but had other options at the time and asked the Independence Bowl organizers to give them time to make a decision. The bowl didn't wait and moved on. Other dominoes (namely Oklahoma being bumped out of the BCS and Iowa-St being bumped out of a Big XII bowl slot as a result) fell against La Tech and ... voila, no bowl.

Shit. Projection is Arizona State to play Navy in the Fight Hunger Bowl.

I was really hoping for a Navy-Washington match-up.

Shit. Projection is Arizona State to play Navy in the Fight Hunger Bowl.

I was really hoping for a Navy-Washington match-up.
    Really? Are you sure...??? Playing ASU is a sure win.

Plus don't forget the visuals

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GGAmzDRA_B...eerleaders.png

*does the annual "What bowl is in" check*
    *goes through list*
    *checks again*

Oh, that's right. 0-12 only gets us invited to the Toilet Bowl.

I may go see in the New Orleans Bowl. They made this unbearable season bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Really? Are you sure...??? Playing ASU is a sure win.

Plus don't forget the visuals

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GGAmzDRA_B...eerleaders.png
    Yeah, but the allure of what would most likely be one hell of a battle between Washington and Navy was most appealing to me. Arizona State may still be one hell of a great game, but I really wanted Washington, especially when it looked like they would be a potential opponent 3 or 4 weeks ago.

And it is official, Arizona State-Navy is the match-up.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Genuinely thought that was going to be a Courtney Simpson pic.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    From Twitter, it sounds like what happened is that Louisiana Tech got an invite from the Independence Bowl, but had other options at the time and asked the Independence Bowl organizers to give them time to make a decision. The bowl didn't wait and moved on. Other dominoes (namely Oklahoma being bumped out of the BCS and Iowa-St being bumped out of a Big XII bowl slot as a result) fell against La Tech and ... voila, no bowl.
    I saw that LA Tech's AD was on Sirius XM College Sports Nation this evening explaining what happened, so I'll have to listen to the podcast of it tomorrow. From what I've read, I'm going to guess fans, alumni, boosters, etc. are probably livid at either the athletic dept., Ind. Bowl, or both.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I'd be pretty damn pissed at the Independence Bowl for moving on without them. That's some serious bullshit.

Oh yeah, nearly forget, rematch time in the Liberty Bowl!

Back on September 1st, Iowa State beat Tulsa 38-23. Tulsa proceeded to reel off 7 straight wins before a 4 point loss to Arkansas and finished 10-3 (also losing by 8 to SMU). Iowa State went from that season opening win, made it to 3-0 and 4-1, before promptly stumbling to a 6-6 finish.

Tulsa was actually faring pretty well in that game. Had a 16-7 lead after the 1st quarter, collapsed in the second quarter to trail 24-16 at the half. Was down 31-23 with 9 minutes left to play before Iowa State scored to put the game away with 2 minutes left.

With as (fairly) well as Tulsa played Iowa State in the first game of the season, and as red hot as Tulsa has been the rest of the year (along with Iowa State's collapse in the second half of the season), I'm looking forward to revenge for Tulsa. Unfortunately have to wait until New Year's Eve for that revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I saw that LA Tech's AD was on Sirius XM College Sports Nation this evening explaining what happened, so I'll have to listen to the podcast of it tomorrow. From what I've read, I'm going to guess fans, alumni, boosters, etc. are probably livid at either the athletic dept., Ind. Bowl, or both.
    I heard a different version on the radio. I heard the AD didn't want to play ULM because of some beef he has with them.

Regarding Loser Tech, the story I've heard indirectly (we have a fan that sits on the Independence Bowl Committee) was that Loser Tech was offered the Indy Bowl a few days ago but they are too arrogant/too afraid to play ULM so they said "we're going to wait a few days and see what shakes out". When NIU made it to the Orange Bowl, that screwed over a lot of folks particularly because then the Big 12 doesn't have two in the BCS. By the time LTU realized they were going to be shut out, they went back to the Independence Bowl and they had already moved on.

Oklahoma getting shut out of the BCS also screwed Arkansas State... by that happening, that filled more Big 12 slots knocking Iowa State down a rung. And stupidly, instead of taking a team that will sell probably 25k or more tickets, they took a team that just happens to be in an AQ conference despite it being the 2nd of 3 matchups of the same two teams in two years (Tulsa/Iowa State). Many wonder if University of Memphis didn't block us since they didn't want us to be showcased in their own back yard to recruits, etc. Oh well, works out of us in the end (even though it's a farther trip) because beating a ranked Kent State will likely propel us into the Top 25.

Damn! A Tulsa-Arkansas State battle in the Liberty Bowl would have been damn fun to watch.