Thread: Recruiting Pitch Values

• Facebook
  • Display

Recruiting Pitch Values

Has anyone taken the time to find out what values correspond to pitch importance?

For example, I would assume anything 90+ would be a High to Very High to Most. I know that this would fluctuate with what your school's rating would be, but just curious if anyone has taken the time to create a chart for these values so that you wouldn't have to waste early recruiting time finding pitch importance instead of doing hard sale pitches.

If I am understanding your question correctly, I would say that recruits interests are completely random.

No, I understand that every recruit's interests are random. Let me see if I can explain what I'm asking a little better.

Okay, every recruit will have his interests randomly determined by the computer.
    In order to have the computer spell out for me in black and white what a recruit's interest is for a particular pitch, I could choose find pitch importance. This will tell me whether the recruit's interest in that pitch is Least, Very Low, Low, Average, Above Average, High, Very High, or Most.

Now, whenever I choose "Find Pitch Importance," I get low points for that 10 minutes used finding pitch importance. However, I could do a hard pitch sell (or however it's labeled, the first option at the top of the list) and it won't let me know the pitch's importance but it will give me a higher point value for the ten minute call.

I assume that Pitch Importance to Recruit X School Value for Pitch = Range of Point Values for making a Hard Sell Pitch.

So, let's assume that I am A+ for Athletic Facilities (or any other Pitch, the specific pitch doesn't matter).
    I would assume that there would be a range for an A+ pitch that looks like this depending on the kids interest:
    Most 85-100
    Very High 75-90
    High 70-85
    Above Average 65-75
    Average 55-65
    Low 45-55
    Very Low 35-45
    Least 5-25

What I'm curious about is if anyone's actually taken the time to figure out what point values correspond to which importance.
    The reason I ask is because other's can get a significant jump on you by doing blind pitches if you take the time to find pitch importance. For example, let's say that I and an opponent are each A+ for Athletic Facilities and the kid has Most interest in AF. Ok, so I do a find pitch importance, and for the particular topic, I find out it his Most important pitch and I get 50 points for the call. My opponent does a blind pitch and gets 100. He has a 50 point jump on me on one pitch. If we do this for 5 pitches, that puts me at a 250 point disadvantage, and for a recruit we are both sinking 60 MIN into, it could make the difference between winning and losing the recruit.

i'm in the process of figuring this out right now. its just taking a while to get it all figured out for different grades.

It's been figured out, or at least it was back on NCAA 11 / 12. I don't think it's significantly changed for this year. Unfortunately, I don't have it handy, and I can't seem to find it (or where I discussed it previously) at the moment. If I manage to stumble across it again, I'll be sure to post it up.

Side note: murrakp (Welcome to the site) -- while I was trying to find a thread where this was discussed, I found another forum where you had asked this question, and the first reply there was also that it was random.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Sometimes it's amazing what I'll still have downloaded on this computer ...

This was originally created by Mr. Andy on another forum. It was designed for NCAA 11, and shows the "average" point value for a given importance/rating combination. I think it has changed since NCAA 11, but should still be helpful.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Sometimes it's amazing what I'll still have downloaded on this computer ...

This was originally created by Mr. Andy on another forum. It was designed for NCAA 11, and shows the "average" point value for a given importance/rating combination. I think it has changed since NCAA 11, but should still be helpful.

JeffH: Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your help!

its definitely been changed jeff. A+/Most has changed from 95-100 to 150-175.

D/Least also gives negative points.

I went ahead and made up a spreadsheet with all the information for every point value. If someone can tell me how to post a chart or a picture into the forum I will post it.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    its definitely been changed jeff. A+/Most has changed from 95-100 to 150-175.
    Yeah, I realized that the next time I did my own recruiting. I was thinking, when I posted it, that the difference was because of pipelines and other bonuses. But the range itself has increased, definitely.

Thanks for the sheet, murrakp!

Are you really going to keep track of 3-6 pitch values for 35 players? That sounds like an unfun recordkeeping slog to me, and I like spreadsheets.

Not sure what you meant by "keep track", ralphs. I can't speak for the other guys, but I was curious what the values were so I could know how an Above Average/A compares to a High/B, for example, without having to look at each pitch combination in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
    Are you really going to keep track of 3-6 pitch values for 35 players? That sounds like an unfun recordkeeping slog to me, and I like spreadsheets.
    i do in my od's. i put it all in a spreadsheet, so that as soon as the phone call is started with a recruit, i know exactly which pitches to make to him and is not a "whatever i feel like" moment. i also keep track of what percentage he's scouted, his projected overall, his position and rank, the week he's visiting, how many minutes i talked to him last week, how many points i'm ahead or behind, and how many points i've gained/lost since last week.

the point of writing it down in a spreadsheet or whatever, is that if you decide to hard sell a pitch right off the bat, and you get a really bad score on it, you want to remember it so you dont do it again.

i do in my od's. i put it all in a spreadsheet, so that as soon as the phone call is started with a recruit, i know exactly which pitches to make to him and is not a "whatever i feel like" moment. i also keep track of what percentage he's scouted, his projected overall, his position and rank, the week he's visiting, how many minutes i talked to him last week, how many points i'm ahead or behind, and how many points i've gained/lost since last week.

the point of writing it down in a spreadsheet or whatever, is that if you decide to hard sell a pitch right off the bat, and you get a really bad score on it, you want to remember it so you dont do it again.
    Goodness that's a lot of recordkeeping. I'm imagining a setup where you're typing in pitches in column b/c/d and each recruit's name in col a? Really having trouble visualizing a way to do this in a reasonable manner that doesn't double the amount of time sitting on my xbox recruiting.

For reference, my spreadsheet is here: http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...l=1#post176005

Wild guess, but you don't do much "Find Importance", do you? That would explain why you would need to track it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Wild guess, but you don't do much "Find Importance", do you? That would explain why you would need to track it.
    yes and no. i know jb wants my recruiting secrets. lol