Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ending both Political, Religious Threads and discussion at TGT?

• Facebook
  • Display

Ending both Political, Religious Threads and discussion at TGT?

It only serves to divide a community. My 2cents, lock the two political threads up and out a kibosh on these debates. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind here and it just leads to meltdowns.

I dunno. The discussion is staying in that thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The dude abides.

It may stay in the thread but will have an affect throughout the forum. When Smooth calls me a fucktard and hopes Obama fucks me over,simply because I am a Republican, it does carry over to other threads. He is someone I enjoyed discussing things with, now he just sits on a boat with Ram.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    It may stay in the thread but will have an affect throughout the forum. When Smooth calls me a fucktard and hopes Obama fucks me over,simply because I am a Republican, it does carry over to other threads. He is someone I enjoyed discussing things with, now he just sits on a boat with Ram.
    um what ? so much for me being concerned about your existance while you disappeared..

he's just a immature 25 year old. Not worth being irritated by. His M.O. is typing stupid negative junk because thats all he knows how to do.

Oh Lord! Ram calling someone immature.
    #SignsOfTheApocolypse

The problem with political threads (can't really say anything about religious threads) is that people draw a line in the sand and say, "You're with me or against me." and I find this line of thinking divisive. There's always a middle ground that'll work for both sides (give and take) but no one really works towards that. The only way to reach that middle ground is the discuss both sides and work towards the compromise and not be so rigid in a viewpoint. I'm not against hot button discussion but I wish it weren't handled in a "me vs. you" type of way.

I would find it sad if we're not capable of having rational discussions about politics and/or religion. However, the Propaganda threads are not intended for rational discussion, they're intended for biased, divisive discussion. I don't think political discussions in general should be banned, but I do agree with doughty that those threads have run their course. I also agree with him that, while the discussion hasn't boiled over, the viewpoints have. No need to make it worse and let it continue (which, as we get closer to the election, will probably make it worse).

Any attempt at serious discussion in either of those threads has resulted in either: No reply or acknowledgement; or a blatant attempt at using extreme views to solicit a reaction. Neither is productive to a serious discussion. Ergo, those threads don't exist for the reason of having a serious discussion. There are clearly people on this forum that would not mind having a serious discussion about politics, with differing viewpoints. If there are others that don't, they can stay away from those threads rather easily. But threads that are blatantly being used for flaming and baiting probably don't belong here.

Last edited by JeffHCross; 10-25-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

It only serves to divide a community. My 2cents, lock the two political threads up and out a kibosh on these debates. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind here and it just leads to meltdowns.
    Well, here is one time we disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Oh Lord! Ram calling someone immature.
    #SignsOfTheApocolypse

The problem with political threads (can't really say anything about religious threads) is that people draw a line in the sand and say, "You're with me or against me." and I find this line of thinking divisive. There's always a middle ground that'll work for both sides (give and take) but no one really works towards that. The only way to reach that middle ground is the discuss both sides and work towards the compromise and not be so rigid in a viewpoint. I'm not against hot button discussion but I wish it weren't handled in a "me vs. you" type of way.
    Actually problems arise when folks result to ad hominem attacks on others they disagree with. Name calling is not the same as labeling an opponent for what they are.....true I am far right wing libertarian....false that I am an idiot with a 162 iq score. Fucktard? Well I guess that one is relative to the one that "disagrees" with me . I have not been in the left thread because I don't care but look at the post count in each thread....why can't those on the left do the same? Anyway, I am done with ALL of this....neither party stands for individual liberty and responsibility......both are collective in world view but there is a massive difference in degree to which they are collective.

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
    Well, here is one time we disagree.
    That is cool, it will happen from time to time. No matter what I am staying away from the subjects above but to each their own.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I would find it sad if we're not capable of having rational discussions about politics and/or religion. However, the Propaganda threads are not intended for rational discussion, they're intended for biased, divisive discussion. I don't think political discussions in general should be banned, but I do agree with doughty that those threads have run their course. I also agree with him that, while the discussion hasn't boiled over, the viewpoints have. No need to make it worse and let it continue (which, as we get closer to the election, will probably make it worse).

Any attempt at serious discussion in either of those threads has resulted in either: No reply or acknowledgement; or a blatant attempt at using extreme views to solicit a reaction. Neither is productive to a serious discussion. Ergo, those threads don't exist for the reason of having a serious discussion. There are clearly people on this forum that would not mind having a serious discussion about politics, with differing viewpoints. If there are others that don't, they can stay away from those threads rather easily. But threads that are blatantly being used for flaming and baiting probably don't belong here.

I'm not sure what forum you've been on before where it's happened, but EVERY attempt at a "serious discussion" about politics that I've EVER seen has dissolved into what you're seeing now (both sides just railing on each other or, both sides posting something with no real change happening because no one EVER changes their minds about this stuff). If you've seen differently somewhere, then it was the perfect storm of political debate because I've never seen it, and I've been on numerous small and VERY large forums and never seen it happen.

Best case scenario is it's nothing but people with VERY close or exactly the same beliefs in politics all agreeing with one another. There's no median. It's either nothing but gladhanding or all-out flame war. Thus, why I think this shit shouldn't be talked about at all. It's just a giant waste of time that just ends up dividing communities.

Well, I don't feel this community is "divided." I think we're all more aware of where people stand politically but I don't think anyone has any hard feelings or grudges towards anyone they disagree with politically.

This is making me want to go read the threads, I personally have never seen the point in them sooo I don't read them. Pretty simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Well, I don't feel this community is "divided."
    If this community starts going all Team Jacob vs Team Edward I'm outta here.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

I never took the threads all that serious anyway.

Just a final thought on the subject. How about locking the LEFT and RIGHT wing "propaganda" threads and let someone make one political thread for non-partisan discussion.

non-partisan discussion.
    No such thing. I assume you mean bi-partisan discussion (as in serious discussion). I'd, obviously, be all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    No such thing. I assume you mean bi-partisan discussion (as in serious discussion). I'd, obviously, be all for it.
    So would I but there'd have to be rules like no sarcasm and no insults at others and no "propaganda" articles or inflammatory remarks (like "commies" ). I believe it can be done but if you have a short fuse or a chip on your shoulder, you had best not enter.

No sarcasm? I would not be allowed