Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: College Football 2012 Week 9

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    LOL it doesnt matter what logic you want to use about who beat who, USC just lost and that the important part. Cant blame Monte either, he's smarter then his son and was a damn good pro coach. He just expects players to do what they are assigned to do. I wonder if the QB still gets drafted that high ? Many believe Manti Te'o could be a number 1 over all pick now ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Who? I haven't seen any speculation that Te'o could be a #1 pick (unless you mean Round 1), and I'd have to question to the logic of anyone who says that. Teams that have the #1 pick have too many holes to pick an LB (even if he is a great talent at LB).

He's definitely Round 1 though.
    te'o is a first round pick, but he wont even be the first linebacker taken in the draft. barring injury, georgia LB jarvis jones will be.

and ram, yes i can blame monte. USC's offense has never failed to score points under lane's playcalling, however, monte's defense is always giving up a huge amount of yards. his tampa 2 scheme is so hellbent on not giving up the quick strike big play, that he has the corners play 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. what's the point of playing that far off, when opposing offenses can nickel and dime their way downfield for 5-7 yards a pop? the wr's get a free release into their routes and there's little you can do about it. off coverage is a terrible strategy and i'm surprised that monte hasnt done something about it yet.

Yeah, you can always get good LBs throughout the first, second, and even part of the third rounds. Anyone who would piss away a #1 overall pick on a LB is a moron. If you have the #1 overall pick, your team sucks ass and has more holes than Swiss cheese. I'm drafting either a QB or a WR, a skill position player that will immediately give the team a boost. I don't believe in drafting a RB #1 overall because RBs have a shelf life of only a couple years. By the time you would build up a team worth a damn through the draft and free agency, your RB is probably already nearing the end of his prime, if he isn't getting chronically injured thanks to your shitty O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, you can always get good LBs throughout the first, second, and even part of the third rounds. Anyone who would piss away a #1 overall pick on a LB is a moron. If you have the #1 overall pick, your team sucks ass and has more holes than Swiss cheese. I'm drafting either a QB or a WR, a skill position player that will immediately give the team a boost. I don't believe in drafting a RB #1 overall because RBs have a shelf life of only a couple years. By the time you would build up a team worth a damn through the draft and free agency, your RB is probably already nearing the end of his prime, if he isn't getting chronically injured thanks to your shitty O-line.
    +1

unless the LB is a cant miss type of guy like ray lewis, i dont see the need to take a LB in the first 10 picks of the first round.

i look at the draft as your 1st rounder is getting a guy who's gonna start at his position from day one. 2nd and 3rd rounders are getting players who are gonna see playing time as quality backups or be on the field in situation downs. 4th and 5th rounders are purely depth, with 6th and 7th round guys being projects with a shot at being a special teamer.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    unless the LB is a cant miss type of guy like ray lewis, i dont see the need to take a LB in the first 10 picks of the first round.
    Ray was the fifth linebacker taken in the draft, at #26. Even if you could guarantee an LB is "can't miss" (which you can't), I still can't see taking him in the top 10. Not today. Linebackers are not at a premium (pass first league now), unless they're 3-4 pressure guys. The only way I can see taking an LB that high is if you've got a high pick because of bad luck (e.g. what has happened to the Saints this year, though they don't fit the rest of my statement) or good trades (Patriots), and practically your only hole is at LB.

Since 2000, there have been ten LBs (by combine position, I believe) taken in the top 10 of Round 1. Plus Vernon Gholston. Only 1, in hindsight, was as great as his position deserved -- Brian Urlacher. Okay, maybe two, because Jerod Mayo has been great for the Patriots (though I would argue that they were in that "high position with no holes" option). The rest have either been okay (by the standards of the NFL), straight out busts (whether because of skill or bad luck), or the jury is still out (Von Miller, Luke Kuechly). Rolando McClain certainly looks like he could be on the border between good and great, I just simply don't know enough about the Raiders to really give a good assessment of him.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

dark on dark tonight, must be some red/blue political salute thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    must be some red/blue political salute thing
    "Must" be? Unlikely. They both wore home jerseys last year for their rivalry game, though last year MTSU's home jerseys were black.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    "Must" be? Unlikely. They both wore home jerseys last year for their rivalry game, though last year MTSU's home jerseys were black.
    too bad, I like my idea better

red vs blue is fine but any other dark colors would be annoying, like blue vs purple or something like that.

I'm pretty sure there was an election year where someone did something like that..?