Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SimCity (PC)

• Facebook
  • Display
    If you're talking about the previous discussion, JB, it has nothing to do with paranoia. It's not like I'm going to find an exploit and not report it in any beta anyway. I just find that unacceptable, personally.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Well I guess I wasn't chosen for the Beta... too bad but not unexpected.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Yeah. Same here. Oh well. Not entirely sure what to think about the game now. Hopefully there's a demo or something cause I'll be pretty hesitant to just straight up buy it otherwise.

I JUST got the e-mail that I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    But can only play for an hour.

But can only play for an hour.
    Turns out I got the email as well at 1:18am. I must have been registered for the beta from sometime in the past, because I sure as hell wasn't able to get registered last week with their shitty website.

And yep, some major limitations on the beta according to the email. Can only play it for one hour, and can only play it between now and 12:01 PST on Monday, January 28th. What an experience this'll be.

Give some credit to the folks at IGN. I came across this article this afternoon.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/simcity/Regions?objectid=128952

Basically it provides a breakdown for all of the regions and areas you can build cities. I am already trying to figure out where to start.

For those that are interested and didn't get into the Beta, here is someone with 9 videos worth of beta coverage from his press access to play the game (where he's clearly able to play longer than the normal 1 hour worth of time that they limited other people to).

I haven't taken a chance to watch all of them yet, but it's definitely a good view into what the game is going to be like, even if it was a Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    For those that are interested and didn't get into the Beta, here is someone with 9 videos worth of beta coverage from his press access to play the game (where he's clearly able to play longer than the normal 1 hour worth of time that they limited other people to).

I haven't taken a chance to watch all of them yet, but it's definitely a good view into what the game is going to be like, even if it was a Beta.
    Yeah I watched these videos a few days back. The guy isn't very good at the game but he does show a lot of the features the game has to offer. I hate the online connection but I will still buy this game... I am aiming towards the digital deluxe edition with the European architecture ($79.99).

If you missed out on the first SimCity beta, you'll be pleased to know EA has laid the foundations for a second closed beta, starting February 16. The publisher tells us the second edition features an "enhanced" version of the one hour's worth of city planning featured in the first one.

The beta begins at 9AM ET (6AM PT, 2PM British) on February 16, and runs through 24 hours until February 17. The deadline for sign-ups is 9AM ET on Monday February 11. The game proper launches in North America on March 5, which is when you can get your hands on its Limited Edition, as zanily promoted in the new trailer above.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/08/si...embles-feb-16/

http://www.simcity.com/beta

This is a great video that goes over some of the options. The last 3-4 minutes just zooms in on the city and shows what it looks like up close (and unfortunately on cheetah speed...).

Unfortunately, the dude doesn't know what he's talkin' about. First comment on the video is about zoning different densities and he says that all zones grow to high density over time (not true) instead of saying that it's based on the road that the zone is next to. There are Low, Medium, and High density roads that determine the density of the zone next to it because, unlike in previous SimCitys, zoning itself is free, it's the roads that cost higher amounts based on the density of the road.

Then, the next comment he's asked about laying down grids and he doesn't know what the hell they're talking about when, clearly, the comment was asking whether or not you can zone in squares like the old SimCity games (to get the most out of your amount of land available), which you can definitely do (and there are even helper lines after you place the first set of roads to help keep everything symmetrical once you do).

First thing I'll be doing (I'm definitely getting this game after watching the 9 videos I linked above) is testing how close of a grid I can make while still getting upgraded buildings since, it's pretty obvious that you have limited room for one city (Maxis's way of pushing you to create suburbs of one giant region instead of creating just one giant expansive city).

Also, from the videos I posted above, the guy tests out circular roads patterns and, I gotta say, it looks fuckin' cool as hell to do that. Just build one giant wagon wheel like design for the central city (high density by the end) of two rings that then propagate out into a box design to gather up the remaining medium and low density needs. So, that's probably my plan once I figure out how to break the game to get the absolute most real estate as possible from one suburb section.

Someone has already done some testing with different layouts: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/45...burban-sprawl/

This guy has some enjoyable videos. However, from the beta there are some issues that need to be fixed. This video shows some serious issues with the bus system. The people line up at the bus stop but NEVER get picked up. The guy who filmed the video zooms into the bus stop and it's about 8:50PM. When the video ends it's 12:19AM and the bus still has not arrived. Also, for a busy part of town there is almost zero traffic passing. Based on how glass box works, this should not be happeining. Let's hope it is fixed in retail.

Go to 16:28 in the video and watch to the end to see what I mean.

In addition, I find the grass everywhere in the cities very annoying... just an observation but it's not at all realistic.
    Last edited by jaymo76; 02-09-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Another great video from webgamingcentral showing off traffic gridlock and how long it takes a person to commute.

Frankly traffic in this game will be a huge challenge...

In this video, care of webgamingcentral you can see what a SMALL spread out town looks like. I think this video is king of interesting as the person who created it decided to watch the police respond to a crime and arrest the perp. He also shows how to create high wealth mansions (via ploppong down multiple parks).

This last video is definitely an example of how NOT to plan a city. What a disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    This guy has some enjoyable videos. However, from the beta there are some issues that need to be fixed. This video shows some serious issues with the bus system. The people line up at the bus stop but NEVER get picked up. The guy who filmed the video zooms into the bus stop and it's about 8:50PM. When the video ends it's 12:19AM and the bus still has not arrived. Also, for a busy part of town there is almost zero traffic passing. Based on how glass box works, this should not be happeining. Let's hope it is fixed in retail.

Go to 16:28 in the video and watch to the end to see what I mean.

In addition, I find the grass everywhere in the cities very annoying... just an observation but it's not at all realistic.
    Not entirely sure whether or not it's the case, but I think his problem with the bus issue is he doesn't have enough bus stops. The videos that I posted above, the dude went, what seemed like apeshit with the number of bus stops on his map (one every block or block and a half or so), but he had ride times down to 60 minutes or so by the end in one of his city layouts. Granted, there is definitely still an issue with them just standing there for as long as they do. Even with his wait time up to 220 minutes or whatever it was, they shouldn't have continued to just stand there after the buses stopped running (which I definitely think was what was happening there - the wait time extended past a point that the buses ran anymore and the just continued to stand there instead of walking home or whatever).

Same thing with the traffic issue in the second video. If you watch the videos I linked earlier, you'll see that the reason why he had so much traffic on that one street was because he built the city where EVERYONE was going down that one street and having to get in ONE lane to turn toward the commercial and industrial area. With just one other direction to get to the industrial area instead of the commercial area, his traffic issues were basically solved.

Traffic is definitely not as big of a deal as what he made there.

Man seeing these videos. I can't wait. I'm going to get lost in this game I think.