Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sliders: Recruiting Difficulty

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I don't know, I've been rocking in season 1 of my Navy dynasty on Heisman recruiting. Currently in week 4, out of 20 targets, I've had 3 hard commit to me, and the other 17 all have me in 1st place, and by a good distance over the other teams. Granted, I'm going after nothing but 1 *s due to self imposed recruiting restrictions, so I'm sure if I target 3 and 4 *s in the future (when my restriction rules allow me to) it will get harder then. But at least when targeting players on the low end of the scale, it's been very easy so far.

Dude, you're offering Early Playing Time to 1* players.

Of course it's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Dude, you're offering Early Playing Time to 1* players.

Of course it's easy.
    If you're talking about making the actual early playing time promise to the players, I actually have not made a single promise to any of my players. All I have done is offer scholarships, push hard on recruiting topics, and when I actually have an advantage on a topic, recruit against the team directly behind me on the list. Unfortunately, that has been a rare occurrence as a lot of the teams I am recruiting against are the likes of Maryland, Wake Forest, Pitt, Michigan State for one player, etc.

As for maybe the recruit having the logic to compare the chance for early playing time with my edited, ungodly horrible Navy team as opposed to Maryland or something, then sure, I do have an unofficial advantage there.

I wasn't talking about promises. Early Playing Time is a pitch too.

I'm sure the allure of seeing the field as a Freshman is a factor. Where else can a 1* get that opportunity? Certainly not Maryland etc. I think the recruits do a better job of creating their initial lists of teams and sticking to what's "important" to them this year.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    You're absolutely correct Steelerfan. A big part of getting people is they take into account your roster and compare it to their overall. If they're overall blows away anything you have on the roster (which even 1* will because you have nothing but 40 overall players), then they are going to be incredibly interested in coming to your school if they even halfway care about playing time.

I wasn't talking about promises. Early Playing Time is a pitch too.

I'm sure the allure of seeing the field as a Freshman is a factor. Where else can a 1* get that opportunity? Certainly not Maryland etc. I think the recruits do a better job of creating their initial lists of teams and sticking to what's "important" to them this year.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that pitch. That one actually hasn't worked too well in my favor. While the team over all sucks, Navy has most it's positions in good shape in terms of numbers. The only needs Navy has for the season is Kicker, Punter, Strong Safety, and Middle Linebacker. So even with my extremely horrible roster in terms of rating, for most of my recruits, Navy is only ranking B or C for playing time. Otherwise, Navy only has Program Tradition, Academic Prestige, Fan Base, and Campus Lifestyle as A or B rankings. All the other ratings are C's or D's, resulting in, for most recruits, only maybe 2 pitches actually being in my favor, 3 if I'm lucky.

At Michigan I don't promise much. About the only thing I promise is not to redshirt and that's only for 4* players. I'd never promise that to a 3* kid.

I just checked my dynasty settings and my time savers were enabled. I got a couple of those X 2 topics with prospects. Is that a cheat that was enabled when time savers were on? If so I feel dirty. I've got it turned off now but I was sure I had that turned off when I started.

I don't think that's part of the time savers, Rudy. I believe that's just part of recruiting.

Also, I will promise 3* recruits "Winning record against rivals" just because it's easy to achieve at Notre Dame (where I am doing a single player offline Dynasty). Hell, everyone on their schedule is a rival, lol.

x2 is part of the standard recruiting.

Well that makes me feel better. I thought I might have been cheating. I got 800 points one time. Is there a way to see if a guy will be a 2X guy before hand? Everytime I've seen that I never noticed anything until I started the phone call. Of course one guy I only spent 20 minutes on so I robbed myself. A bunch of my low guys must have had them because I always talk to my Top 10 and usually a few others. I still have over 30 guys on my board if I think I have a shot still.

x2 is random and you can't tell it's gonna happen until you're in the call.

x2 is random and you can't tell it's gonna happen until you're in the call.
    And you do still get the x2 even if you are just doing the quick call stuff (which I normally do for guys that no one else is targeting but me and I've seen it pop up a couple of times and definitely is noticeable in that my point totals will be significantly higher because of it).

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I believe I've been one of the better guys at doing this over the years, especially on NCAA 10. But man is All-American throwing me for a loop. Not only do you have to be strategic about giving up, you have to be strategic on targeting to begin with. I keep worrying that I'm wasting time talking to recruits that I shouldn't be, even though I 'need' them.

I have 15 scholarships available, and I have 16 targets. And even that feels like stretched too thin. But I can't fathom the guys that think you can just target 10 guys and rotate them ... by the time you get to your 16th guy, it'll be near the end of the season and you haven't talked to him at all.
    I feel exactly the same way, and I'm loving every minute of it. Every week, I'm wondering if I should have spent an extra 10-20 minutes on certain players. I've having better luck with 16-18 guys on my board than I was with 25-30, that's for sure. It doesn't seem realistic to target only 10 guys, but it seems to be an effective strategy. It's not for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I don't know, I've been rocking in season 1 of my Navy dynasty on Heisman recruiting. Currently in week 4, out of 20 targets, I've had 3 hard commit to me, and the other 17 all have me in 1st place, and by a good distance over the other teams. Granted, I'm going after nothing but 1 *s due to self imposed recruiting restrictions, so I'm sure if I target 3 and 4 *s in the future (when my restriction rules allow me to) it will get harder then. But at least when targeting players on the low end of the scale, it's been very easy so far.
    You're probably (one of) the only teams in the game targeting 1* guys in Week 4, so that might have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    If they're overall blows away anything you have on the roster (which even 1* will because you have nothing but 40 overall players), then they are going to be incredibly interested in coming to your school if they even halfway care about playing time.
    I don't know; they may have an OVR better than 40, but probably not by much. 1* guys seem even less serviceable than in years past.

I finally finished my first Dynasty season where I actually played the games. I went 11-2 and was ranked #10 with Notre Dame. I'm definitely glad I took the time to fool with recruiting before I started. I played and recruited on AA. My class rank was #10 (easily the best I've had) but that was by sheer volume. I landed 24 recruits with 22 being 3* (one each of 5* and 4*). I had to cut 11 players so about 8 out of my class were cut, but it was good to see that I can land alot of recruits. Now, I just have to get better at getting better recruits.

I just landed 3 recruits after smoking MSU 38-7. It actually earned me a trophy (great weekend or something like that). I think I have 6 or 7 hard commits (two 4* kids and the rest 3*) right now with two soft. I've got #3 ranked Iowa next and I'm 6-0 and ranked in the Top 20 right now with Michigan. My recruiting class is ranked #9 right now.

I'm going after a 4* OT but I think I might be wasting my time. I didn't go after him that hard early on but when I saw I had a chance I figured I'd make a good run. He's not a pipeline guy as I think he's from Arizona and Arizona St. is in the lead. I'm down around 400 points but I just offered him a scholly (was hoping to save it a little longer) and if I ever his a 2X with him I think I'll get him.

After beating Iowa 28-21 I'm now 7-0 and the recruits are loving me. I now have seven 4* kids (two of them are RBs) and four 3* kids. My class is ranked #5 in the country. I'm leading a lot of boards for the players still in my Top 10. I think I have one more 4* kid I'm likely to get and I'm closing on the 4* OT from Arizona. He's soft committed to Arizona St but I'm only 80 points back now (still in 3rd now). I'm going to spend 60 minutes every week until he's gone. I have to try. I've got a bunch of 3* OTs that I will get this year but this kid would be a real steal.

Well I was stupid. I offered too many kids during the season and only had one scholly left for off season recruiting. Quite a few great players came out of nowhere. I won't talk about how realistic that is but it is fun to have some good players to fight over in the offseason. Teams go after those scraps HARD! I lost out quickly to some guys but it pissed me off because I could have had 1-2 more 4* recruits but lost out due to my over recruiting. A 4* DE with the size I like for my 3-4 soft committed without a sholly offer but I was holding out for a MLB or FS who both bailed on me and I lost him. Ended up signing a 4* C that had me #1 on his list but I will limit my in season recruiting to 20 players max now.

I still had the #3 class in the country with 0 5*, 11 4* and 14 3*. I'm not sure how hard I'm going to go after the 3* kids anymore. Some are decent but a lot come in around 65. I'm greedy.

In my 2nd class, I got 8 4* recruits and 17 3* recruits. I was #4 overall in recruiting after finishing #6 in the final polls. I'm going to keep pushing to get more 4s and a few 5s.

Good to hear that there are decent offseason guys this year. I don't particularly like the feature, but it does add a little bit of drama to recruiting. I certainly need a couple pickups this offseason, and thankfully have conserved enough scholarships that I can go really, really hard at enough guys to make sure I get one or two.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Good to hear that there are decent offseason guys this year. I don't particularly like the feature, but it does add a little bit of drama to recruiting. I certainly need a couple pickups this offseason, and thankfully have conserved enough scholarships that I can go really, really hard at enough guys to make sure I get one or two.
    It's certainly not like '10 when there were NUMEROUS 5* guys showing up out of no where. For the most part, it's usually 4-5 5* guys and about as many 4* guys and, usually, they aren't like the #1 guy in the class or anything like that.