Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sliders: Recruiting Difficulty

• Facebook
  • Display
    BTW I think it's best to schedule early visits, before it was better to get them late, but now I have had so many fricken recruits soft commit and then hard commit before week 11 that it's almost useless to schedule a visit that late. I'de much rather do it week 4-7 and get a big boost that week and try to get the early lead and be the first to full bar to get the soft commit.

Cipher, I'll disagree slightly that it was ever better to schedule late visits. In my last 3 years of Online Dynasty, I scheduled every player I could for early visits. If you had a close battle with multiple teams, then it could be adventageous to be the last of the group. But if you could get Week 4 when everyone else was scheduling for Weeks 8+, you had a huge advantage.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Cipher, I'll disagree slightly that it was ever better to schedule late visits. In my last 3 years of Online Dynasty, I scheduled every player I could for early visits. If you had a close battle with multiple teams, then it could be adventageous to be the last of the group. But if you could get Week 4 when everyone else was scheduling for Weeks 8+, you had a huge advantage.
    Yeah, I schedule as soon as they're ready. If you wait too long they will sign with someone else before they visit your school.

I schedule high caliber guys early and low priority guys late. This way I don't have to pour alot of time in any week to a low priority guy to unlock enough about him to have a good visit.

Yeah, that too. If I'm not in a battle for a player, I'll delay the visit as long as reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I schedule high caliber guys early and low priority guys late. This way I don't have to pour alot of time in any week to a low priority guy to unlock enough about him to have a good visit.
    That's pretty much always been my strategy as well. Always worked n the past, and it seems to be even more important this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ebin View Post
    That's pretty much always been my strategy as well. Always worked n the past, and it seems to be even more important this year.
    Yeah. And alot of guys got upset when EA said that you wouldn't be able to reschedule visits. I thought it was a great idea because if you schedule too early you may end up with a bad visit (since you haven't unlocked enough) and if you wait too long you may lose out to a team that got him in earlier.

To me, it adds another element of strategy and gives the CPU another opportunity to hurt the user which is a good thing.

Also, late in the season, I've seen guys with well over 20 scholarship offers. That is so awesome. In the past, if you saw a guy with 5 it was a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Totally agree. And I also agree that I like the fact you can't reschedule guys anymore. I hope they don't change that.

And on AA I've only seen it once or twice now that when I change the topic the kid brings it back up later in the phone call. I think it's realistic anyways. Sometimes a kid really wants to talk about an issue. After my next game it will be after 5 weeks and I want to see where I rank compared to everyone. I think I'm doing pretty good.

Am I correct in thinking that "Time Savers" are the Dynasty Accelerators? I am the commissioner of an online dynasty and I couldn't find in any of the tabs where to turn these off. I assumed EA took this setting out so more people would have an interest in purchasing their tools, but after reading this post, I think it's undergone a name change.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy38 View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that "Time Savers" are the Dynasty Accelerators?
    Yes. That's all they are. I believe Time Savers are also a little bit more than just the Accelerators (I haven't looked at the list lately), but last year's Accelerators are definitely in the "Time Savers" group this year.

Of course, the name change could also just be because every other game (especially EA titles) have "Time Savers" now. It's almost become a branding of its own.

Since I have "Time Savers" enabled in my online dynasty, I took some time today to look at the available Recruiting Reports. I wanted to see how useful this tool actually is to determine if I needed to switch if off. As I was looking through my recruits after week #1, I saw I had moved up on several players recruiting boards. I decided to check how I was stacking up against the CPU and what they were doing to recruit players I was after. I found the CPU to be recruiting anywhere from 12-17 recruits, which I felt was a little low, but they were using loads of time on those recruits. However, the most interesting thing I found was the CPU was able to offer a scholarship to a player, but not use any recruiting time in the process! This occurred with two players I'm recruiting (3* FB and TE). I am currently leading on these prospects and had offered a scholarship to both players (10 minutes each) week #1 since I was 1st on their board. In both instances, the CPU had offered a scholarship to both prospects, but the time as indicated by the Recruiting Reports was 0 minutes recruiting time spent on both prospects! By the way, I'm using Varsity Recruiting Sliders, so the idea that the CPU gets extra time to recruit seems to hold true even on Varsity level.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy38 View Post
    In both instances, the CPU had offered a scholarship to both prospects, but the time as indicated by the Recruiting Reports was 0 minutes recruiting time spent on both prospects! By the way, I'm using Varsity Recruiting Sliders, so the idea that the CPU gets extra time to recruit seems to hold true even on Varsity level.
    This may or may not indicate the CPU is getting more time. It could be that the Recruiting Reports are interpreting actual time recruiting, which a scholarship offer wouldn't particularly count. Nor would scheduling a visit, at least in my eyes.

Now, if the Report also indicated there was a player that had 60 minutes spent and a scholarship offer, that would provide the evidence, when you combine the two.

You'd have to total the CPU recruiting time to see if it still adds up to 10 hours.

I'm really torn on what recruiting level setting to choose for my online dynasty. I want the recruiting to be a level playing field (or as close to level as possible for HUM and CPU) and not weighted on purpose ... what are the real differences between the two levels? Aside from the two change topics compared to three?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by PigSooie View Post
    what are the real differences between the two levels? Aside from the two change topics compared to three?
    Well, there's actually 4 levels ... Freshman through Heisman, just like gameplay.

The real difference is in the challenge. Nobody knows what the backend code is doing, but practically everyone has said that recruiting is very difficult on All-American in a single-team dynasty, even with a major school (like Miami). As you get up to Heisman ... to be honest, everyone I've seen post a 'strategy' on Heisman is essentially gaming the system. But I guess that's nothing new.

To me, the real question is about who you're planning to run with. All-American is very tough recruiting, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you 1) really want a challenge; or 2) you're going to play as a top-tier (recruiting wise) team. I'm doing Varsity level recruiting with a 1-star prestige school, and it definitely feels balanced, just to give you an idea.

Well, there's actually 4 levels ... Freshman through Heisman, just like gameplay.
    Knew that. I just edited myself out of making sense (sorry) ... I wasn't considering freshman (too easy) and I've heard that Heisman was way out of kilter for balance. Just Varsity and A-A.

But thanks a ton ... we're doing a three-star or lower dynasty, so it looks like Varsity recruiting is the way to go.

practically everyone has said that recruiting is very difficult on All-American in a single-team dynasty, even with a major school (like Miami).
    You definitely have to be more strategic about who you target on All-American, and know when to give up on a recruit. I simmed through a season with Oregon, just doing the recruiting, and I ended up with the 85th ranked class. I was losing 21 seniors and I signed 16 players: one 4*, eleven 3*, and four 2*. I never did sign a fullback, even though the only one on the team was a senior. I enjoyed the challenge, but I couldn't imagine recruiting on AA with a team like SJSU.

Quote Originally Posted by ebin View Post
    You definitely have to be more strategic about who you target on All-American, and know when to give up on a recruit.
    I believe I've been one of the better guys at doing this over the years, especially on NCAA 10. But man is All-American throwing me for a loop. Not only do you have to be strategic about giving up, you have to be strategic on targeting to begin with. I keep worrying that I'm wasting time talking to recruits that I shouldn't be, even though I 'need' them.

I have 15 scholarships available, and I have 16 targets. And even that feels like stretched too thin. But I can't fathom the guys that think you can just target 10 guys and rotate them ... by the time you get to your 16th guy, it'll be near the end of the season and you haven't talked to him at all.

I believe I've been one of the better guys at doing this over the years, especially on NCAA 10. But man is All-American throwing me for a loop. Not only do you have to be strategic about giving up, you have to be strategic on targeting to begin with. I keep worrying that I'm wasting time talking to recruits that I shouldn't be, even though I 'need' them.

I have 15 scholarships available, and I have 16 targets. And even that feels like stretched too thin. But I can't fathom the guys that think you can just target 10 guys and rotate them ... by the time you get to your 16th guy, it'll be near the end of the season and you haven't talked to him at all.
    Now in year three it is getting easier BECAUSE when you win your prestige goes up and you have a lot more A+ and A's. However, for the first time ever I am really only going after 3 stars and a few 4 stars. My focus is no longer to get five star starting talent but now rather to get lower talent and develop it with time (and formation subs!).

I don't know, I've been rocking in season 1 of my Navy dynasty on Heisman recruiting. Currently in week 4, out of 20 targets, I've had 3 hard commit to me, and the other 17 all have me in 1st place, and by a good distance over the other teams. Granted, I'm going after nothing but 1 *s due to self imposed recruiting restrictions, so I'm sure if I target 3 and 4 *s in the future (when my restriction rules allow me to) it will get harder then. But at least when targeting players on the low end of the scale, it's been very easy so far.