Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sliders: Recruiting Difficulty

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I mean, jesus christ, what do you have to do!? I'm just supposed to give up on the guy? That's bullshit.
    I think this sentiment will be echoed a lot once people get into their Dynastys. For some reason, it seems that I'm the only one simming to get a feel for recruiting. It's not that it's difficult, it's that it may be impossible. A lot of people may be in for a rude awakening where recruiting and their Dynastys are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I think mors specifically means he lost ground (the week of his visit) despite havind a great phone call and an A- visit.
    Yeah, and who is to say the CPU didn't have great calls also? In topics that they are better at? What if they are dumping tons into that guy also?

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Yeah, and who is to say the CPU didn't have great calls also? In topics that they are better at? What if they are dumping tons into that guy also?
    They can't possibly put more than an hour into the call, unless that's how it makes it where they are more competitive by making it where you can't possibly ever catch them because they are getting more than an hours worth of points.

All I know is that in year two of recruiting I am ranked #118 with 3 three stars signed and on my board over half of my players are soft commits to other schools and I just can't sway them. I better win the N.C. this year because next year my lineup will be decimated (no TE, QB, DT, FS, OLB... so far I have signed 1olb and a SS). AA is almost impossible... BUT... I enjoy the challenge.

I understand precisely what you are saying.

However, look at what Jaymo said about his team being ranked #1 in the Polls and his recruiting class being #118. And that's on AA. The recruiting is more fun and it's difficult. Again, difficult is not a problem. Impossible is.

I haven't cracked the Top 25 in 3 seasons (see 2nd Post), but I'm not quite ready to say AA recruiting is impossible either. If you or someone else is having any level of success, I'd like to know how. So, please share.

Everyone is so wrapped up in playing their Dynastys that they haven't gotten far enough to see how the recruiting will play out. I'm not interested in starting a serious one until I figure out recruiting.

Look, I'm just sayin' to look for reasons instead of the 'CPU cheated'.
    Find the reasons or patterns and perhaps the new tricks to recruiting in 11 get to be less of a mystery that everyone is struggling with. Seriously. As in I just lost out on the #5 MLB to Houston. And I'm Michigan in my single-player OD. But guess what his top interests were? Early playing time as Most, Proximity to home as Very High, and Houston had me beat in both of those as my team was a B+ for playing time and a C+ for proximity to home.

That would have never happened in past years.

Yes, you are right, I'm not simming through and just recruiting. Only recruit I've gotten so far is a 4 star tackle, who hard committed in week2 when a schollie was offered.
    And just got a 3 star SS (#14 SS) who committed at schollie offer in week8.
    Last edited by AustinWolv; 07-21-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Oh, no doubt, Austin. Pipelines will be vital this year.

Also, I've begun putting guys on my board only if I am in their top 3. I mentioned that earlier in this thread. If you listen to the Solid Verbal podcast that cdj posted tonight, Russ said that (paraphasing) anything past top 5 is a big reach. In the past, I would fill my board with the highest caliber guys who showed interest (green dot icon) and filled a need. Using that method, it was no problem to rake in top notch classes year after year. Now, that won't work. Which is good.

What I'm trying to get out of this thread is a collaboration of strategies and experiences of as many of us as possible so that we can each decide what skill level gives us the best experience. What I see coming is everyone jumping off into Dynastys and having results similar to my sim classes and then screaming "it's broken" when they do.

I'm not pointing the finger at you or anyone specifically, I'm just trying to learn the new system so I don't have a Dynasty ruined by my own lack of planning.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Look, I'm just sayin' to look for reasons instead of the 'CPU cheated'.
    Find the reasons or patterns and perhaps the new tricks to recruiting in 11 get to be less of a mystery that everyone is struggling with.
    Believe me, there's no mystery to this recruiting update. Far from it. Hell, I'm already starting to see a pattern with the amount of points you get from talking about various topics based on what grade it is and how they like it (like a Very High to Most on an A+ is going to net you 85 to 95 points and an A+ on an Average nets you 45-50 and on an Above Average nets you 55-60). Like I said, far from being a mystery. It's just a numbers game but a bit more random than before (and not so easy to stack the deck in your favor).

The computer does one of two things to basically blow you away on Heisman difficulty:

1. Spends more than an hours worth of time on the recruits that both you and it are going after.
    2. Constantly has X2 on the recruits that you and it are both going after.

That's the only explanation because there is no other way that I would spend an hour on a recruit, get a ~350 or so on that call, and get an A- on a blow out victory of a rival on their visit and lose ground on him. There's just no other way.

I don't care what they offered is better than my offers or not, even the BEST call you can POSSIBLY get will yield you no more than 700 points and that's offering a scholarship, having A+s on his Most, and 3 Very Highs (if he's even one of the 15 or 20% of recruits that have 3 Very Highs) (and pitching them instead of uncovering his feelings about them) along with promising him you'll win your conference championship his first year on campus (always gives the most bonus points out of the first 4 or 5 that are available to you) along with him being in your pipeline and you have a X2 bonus on him. ALL of that has to happen to even have a prayer of touching the 650+ point area on a single call. And, even still, it shouldn't be MORE than an A- victory visit and ~350 points myself.

I'm sorry, but, just like Heisman difficulty in gameplay, Heisman difficulty in recruiting is a bunch of cheezy cheating bullshit.

Not to minimize the frustration that mors is feeling, but I never imagined we'd be saying recruiting is too hard.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Not to minimize the frustration that mors is feeling, but I never imagined we'd be saying recruiting is too hard.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I did either.

The first thing I thought when I heard there'd be a recruiting difficulty setting was, "COOL!" Followed by, "Dang it, now I'm going to have to figure out Sliders and recruiting difficulty before I start a Dynasty." Lol.

First thing I thought was "well, now I have to eat my words", because about a month beforehand I had basically criticized the concept of a recruiting slider. My argument was that we needed a strong base AI in recruiting in order to have different difficulty levels ... otherwise you're ramping up or scaling down a bad system to begin with. Looks like they figured out the backend AI (at least to the extent of improvement) and then went from there. Though, based on mors's experience, I think my theory about scaling up the system may still be holding true.

The system is scaled, based on my experience with AA and Varsity. I just want to find a way to streamline my strategy enough that I can get (for the most part) the types of classes my program warrants. I've yet to achieve that.

Oh, it's definitely scaled, there's no doubt about that.

The problem lies in what is being scaled. When an AI is bad, and then the difficulty is scaled, the problems are more pronounced as the difficulty is changed. Either it gets too difficult at the top end, or ridiculously easy at the bottom. When an AI is good, there can be scaling but it can still be reasonable.

Without having played it for myself yet, I think the recruiting difficulty is somewhere in the middle right now. It's not bad, but it's not as quality as I would like it to be.

Well, I'll be taking notes during my Navy dynasty, since the first 10 years at least will be on Heisman difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Well, I'll be taking notes during my Navy dynasty, since the first 10 years at least will be on Heisman difficulty.
    I wanted to quote this so you can't edit your words later, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I wanted to quote this so you can't edit your words later, lol.
    Check out my Navy dynasty I just posted. You don't have to worry, those words won't be getting changed.

I finally got around to setting up my Michigan dynasty last night so these are my thoughts on recruiting so far. I'll be on AA recruiting and after hearing how much tougher it is (not Heisman since Mors is going nuts lol). I went pretty conservative across the board in targeting recruits. I pretty much stuck to kids where I was in the Top 3 and I wasn't greedy at all. I targeted a ton of 3* recruits and a bunch of 4* recruits. I may have only one or two 5* recruits on the entire board as I'm not going to waste time going after guys I don't think I can get. In the first week I got three hard commits although I think all three were 3* kids (one may have been a 4*).

The actual recruiting is a big improvement imo. It's a lot of fun. Even though you still only have 10 hours, you can do so much more in 10 hours now. You set how much time you want to spend with a kid before you even call him and then it's 10 minutes per topic. No more pitching a kid and watch him waste over an hour of your precious recruiting time while the clock runs down on you. It's simply pick a topic and it costs you 10 minutes, which includes offering a scholarship. Furthermore, the idea that the recruit picks topics is great. It keeps it a lot more interesting. If you don't like the topic then use that 10 minutes to offer a scholarship or change the topic. On AA I only get two change topic items so I use the scholly offer to do the same thing. It's a lot more fun this year. I'm curious to see what kind of class I will pull in.

Freshman
    My Dynasty is Texas I landed a ton of players Got a 5 star recruit QB. I will post everything I have tommrow for everyone to view I am ranked 3 or 4 in the polls and i am about done with the regular season

Quote Originally Posted by SirHellraiser View Post
    My Dynasty is Texas I landed a ton of players Got a 5 star recruit QB. I will post everything I have tommrow for everyone to view I am ranked 3 or 4 in the polls and i am about done with the regular season
    Cool, what difficulty are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Screw Heisman recruiting.

With WVU, I'm absolutely KILLING recruiting each week (getting 350+ points per week) have them come to a rivalry game and get an A- visit and STILL I'm 4th on his list and lost ground on the three schools in front of me. That's just retarded...
    I've thought about this some more and I wanted to ask you a question. Is this recruit's interest level Top 3? I ask because I haven't had any success moving on to a recruit's interest level once he's narrowed it to 3, 5 or 8. That may be what's happening in your case. He's down to 3 schools and you're not one of them so it doesn't matter what you do or say.
    Last edited by steelerfan; 07-21-2010 at 02:08 PM.