Page 14 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Events

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Another shooting by police in Ferguson, this one captured in full on video.
    While taken from a distance, the video is very brutal to see. Here's a link for those that need to see for themselves.
    http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...kajieme-powell

My question is, why the fuck do these cops not have tasers or mace or something other than 10-12 rounds from a pistol?!
    They probably could have used tasers, but every single one of those cops are on edge day and night with all the rioting and threats. They are all probably going to pull the pistol every occasion and use deadly force if they must. Watching the video, deadly force appears warranted here.

They could have tried to tase him, but if they miss, they now have a man holding a knife mere feet away and still approaching you. They ordered him to drop the knife and give up, he walked straight at them with a weapon. Any cop would open fire in that situation, and with a the events ongoing there, they're even more likely to use deadly force to end a threat.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass

I get that to a point smooth but they essentially stepped out of their vehicles with their guns drawn. Who knows, maybe the guy was showing the knife in the store but when they first arrived, he wasn't. One could have had a taser drawn while the other his pistol.

They didn't try to talk him down, they didn't back away, they just quickly resorted to firing a deadly weapon like it was the only option.

Yes the guy was probably trying to suicide by cop but that doesn't mean you grant him his wish, especially now in Ferguson.

There's no way I'll be convinced that this killing wasn't senseless.

I get that to a point smooth but they essentially stepped out of their vehicles with their guns drawn. Who knows, maybe the guy was showing the knife in the store but when they first arrived, he wasn't. One could have had a taser drawn while the other his pistol.

They didn't try to talk him down, they didn't back away, they just quickly resorted to firing a deadly weapon like it was the only option.

Yes the guy was probably trying to suicide by cop but that doesn't mean you grant him his wish, especially now in Ferguson.

Pretty much anywhere, when there is a scene involving a suspect with a weapon, be it gun, knife or samurai sword, the cops are going to respond with guns pulled. I watch the show Alaska State Troopers on NatGeo, and pretty much every situation on that show involving someone armed, they pull the guns out immediately. At the end of the day, they're concerned with going home after their shift. If someone holding a weapon approaches them and doesn't obey their orders to drop the weapon, they'll open fire if they feel there is a threat to personal safety.

That guy clearly wasn't going to stop. And based on the article CLW linked to about this shooting the other day, it was suicide by cop. He was shouting at them to shoot him, to kill him. In that situation with him saying those things and continuously approaching while holding a weapon, the cops had every reasonable expectation he was going to use that weapon against them. Again, yes, they could have tried to use tasers, but in any similar situation around the country, the cops will be pulling guns instead of tasers in a situation like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I just read that article a little bit ago. It's NOT looking good for Brown and his supporters. I also love the part about them being upset about the video and pictures of him robbing the store being released. Of course they'd be upset...
    Not to argue your point (because I'm sure you're fundamentally correct), but my understanding was that they were mostly upset about the timing. The police promised to release the cop's name, chose not to (rightly so IMO) because of death threats, then when they did finally release the name, circulated that video at the exact same time.

Acknowledging that there's pretty much no "good" time to release such a video, I will agree that there is some amount of "Okay, here's the name... NOW LOOK OVER HERE AT THIS SQUIRREL!" to it. Also, since the cop knew *nothing* about the robbery at the time of the shooting, it does feel like an unnecessary character attack.

But yeah, you're probably mostly right that it's not a good look and they're not going to like that release no matter when it happens.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-20-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

And while I'm thinking about, from the comments of the guy who recorded the video, just a general remark directed at no one in particular, enough with this social media Monday morning QB bullshit about shooting people in the leg, please! NO ONE, police, military, self defense trainers, NO ONE is trained to aim for the leg. That is idiotic bullshit that only happens in Hollywood. If you're going to shoot, you aim center mass and you put the target down, every time.

Much like Brown, I'm a big guy. Over 6 foot, over 275 pounds, I can be intimidating. If someone tries to disable me, a shot to the leg is honestly probably not going to stop me. I can still advance on you after a shot to the leg. If I have a weapon, I can still use it. It is extremely hard to specifically aim at and HIT an arm or a leg on a target with a handgun in a calm situation. On a high stress situation like the officer was going through that night, especially after being seriously injured, aiming for and hitting an arm or a leg would be impossible. Instead, as is universally taught, you aim center mass and bring the target down.

This ain't fucking Call of Duty where you can pinpoint your shots. It doesn't work that way in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Not to argue your point (because I'm sure you're fundamentally correct), but my understanding was that they were mostly upset about the timing. The police promised to release the cop's name, chose not to (rightly so IMO) because of death threats, then when they did finally release the name, circulated that video at the exact same time.

Acknowledging that there's pretty much no "good" time to release such a video, I will agree that there is some amount of "Okay, here's the name... NOW LOOK OVER HERE AT THIS SQUIRREL!" to it. Also, since the cop knew *nothing* about the robbery at the time of the shooting, it does feel like an unnecessary character attack.

But yeah, you're probably mostly right that it's not a good look and they're not going to like that release no matter when it happens.
    I agree, there was no good time to release it. But if the officer's name can be dragged through the mud by the rioters and protesters and his name can be slandered, then even if he had no clue Brown had committed a robbery, the public has full right to know exactly who Brown was.

Plus, it was still related as that was a potential motive for Brown to attack and seriously injure the officer when all he was trying to do was get Brown and the other dumbasses to get out of the middle of the street and stop interfering with the flow of traffic. As far we can guess, Brown thought the officer was there for him after the robbery and he attacked the officer to avoid being arrested. The officer had no clue about Brown and the robbery, but it's still all related as possible motive for Brown's attack on the officer.

Agreed.

I have no problem with either of these dirtbags being removed from the gene pool. Fuck 'em.

There is nothing better than speculating about what you would do in a split-second scenario that the majority of speculators have no expertise in. Guy with knife, screaming at the police to kill him. Put 30 seconds on the clock and let's see what the internet would have done. Yup, shoot for the leg (Smooth covered this one) was the number one answer and taser is number two. Sorry but when someone has a deadly object in hand, the taser is the last thing on my mind. Please do a search on the 21 ft rule aka the Tueller Drill. Even Mythbusters did a test on this and the results were...

At 20 feet the gun wielder was able to shoot the charging knife attacker just as he reached the shooter. At shorter distances the knife wielder was always able to stab prior to being shot.
    This was with the slow ass Mythbuster guys doing the running.

The man was involved in a theft.
    Carried a weapon.
    Asked cops to shoot him as he moved towards them. To be clear, in the video he said, "Shoot me now motherfucker!"
    Did not comply with officers telling him to drop the knife.

Gschwendt, if you somehow decide to one day join a Police Dept, I would highly recommend the purchase of life insurance, lots and lots of life insurance.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 08-21-2014 at 04:27 AM.

The police promised to release the cop's name, chose not to (rightly so IMO) because of death threats, then when they did finally release the name, circulated that video at the exact same time.
    As long as Spike Lee has a twitter account, never release the name. The irony is that it was a local news station who was kind enough to pass out that information for them. Why report the news, when you can make the news.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Even Mythbusters did a test on this and the results were...
    I remember that episode. To be fair, not only are they slow, but also completely and totally untrained. There are plenty of scenarios that, while absolutely human and prone to human emotions/reactions/errors, cops are generally supposed to be better equipped to handle than you or I.

I remember that episode. To be fair, not only are they slow, but also completely and totally untrained. There are plenty of scenarios that, while absolutely human and prone to human emotions/reactions/errors, cops are generally supposed to be better equipped to handle than you or I.
    Speak for yourself, I have had numerous women tell me I was quick on the draw.

Also, since the cop knew *nothing* about the robbery at the time of the shooting, it does feel like an unnecessary character attack.
    That's just wrong. It's relevant b/c it goes to Brown's state of mind and his propoensity for violence on the day at issue.

Clearly, Brown thought he was a bad ass that could just push anyone around due to his size. He threw his weight/strength around against the guy in the store and then shortly thereafter he does it again against a police officer.

Moreover, it gives Brown the motive for attacking the officer in an attempt to escape arrest for the theft/robbery.

Brown simply got what was coming to him. When the officer is cleared either by the grand jury or at trial STL better be ready for mass riots b/c the idiots will be out in full force and having lived in the STL for 5 years there are a TON of them out there (unless they all magically disappeared in the last 8 years)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/20/us/mis...ded/index.html

Yeah definitely a get ready to shoot first mentality

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/20/us/mis...ded/index.html

Yeah definitely a get ready to shoot first mentality
    It was a shitty thing to do. Of course on the flip side, there are plenty of professional anarchists agitators douchebags "protestors" running around causing as much mayhem as they can.

Here is one from the liberal piss pot in Texas we call Austin.

Arrested three times already.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 08-21-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Didn't know you lived here. That's interesting in a small-world kinda way.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-22-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Yep. The Left is Throwing in the towel but blaming the "racist" rule of law for why the officer is going to "get off". The left's never ending race baiting and taking advantage of the poor and/or dumb for power never ceases to amaze me.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...2#.U_uxbvldU-U

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yep. The Left is Throwing in the towel but blaming the "racist" rule of law for why the officer is going to "get off". The left's never ending race baiting and taking advantage of the poor and/or dumb for power never ceases to amaze me.
    The (insert side here)'s ability to paint the entire (opposite side here) with a single brush, often completely ignoring how easy it would be to twist the statement into hypocrisy, for any reason at all never ceases to amaze me

The (insert side here)'s ability to paint the entire (opposite side here) with a single brush, often completely ignoring how easy it would be to twist the statement into hypocrisy, for any reason at all never ceases to amaze me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

I am not saying its true or verified, but if it is

This is going to get interesting......as puts a pretty big hole in alot of counter arguments, plus I think the whole eye socket injury has been debunked as well.

I simply choose the first website that came up, guess I could have directly linked the youtube video.