Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2012 Week 2

• Facebook
  • Display
    Arizona up 23-14 on Okie State at halftime. Maybe OSU shouldn't have played that high school team last week.

Michigan State & Ohio State appear to be the best in the B1G, but that isn't saying much right now. I thought Nebraska might contend, but that's not happening this year.

ARK QB Tyler Wilson out 3-4 weeks with a broken collarbone.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    After Oklahoma State raped, maimed, abused, bitchslapped, and roasted Savannah State on a spit last week, I can understand Vegas doing that. I don't think Florida State covers though. Florida State doesn't even hit 60. I'll say 56-0 final.
    I wonder how they do the betting when the game is called in the 3rd quarter due to weather? It is pretty impressive they put that many on them and didn't even play 4 quarters.

Yeah, they're definitely dropping. Struggled to put away Syracuse, while LSU completely violated Washington. I'd almost be tempted to make a case for Oregon at #3 even, after putting a whooping on Fresno State. But it wouldn't happen. No way USC falls from #2 to #4 after a win, even if it was a shitty win against Syracuse.
    i wouldnt say struggled to put them away, but monte kiffin's decision to let syracuse pass for like 200 yards in the 4th quarter, certainly didnt help anything. i just want the power struggle between marvin sanders and monte kiffin, over how our corners should play, to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    i wouldnt say struggled to put them away, but monte kiffin's decision to let syracuse pass for like 200 yards in the 4th quarter, certainly didnt help anything. i just want the power struggle between marvin sanders and monte kiffin, over how our corners should play, to be over.
    I've always been a fan of Sanders and not so much one of M. Kiffin. I don't know what happened that led to Sanders resigning at NU, but our DBs haven't been the same since. (Though, we've had a new DB coach both years since, so maybe that explains some issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I've always been a fan of Sanders and not so much one of M. Kiffin. I don't know what happened that led to Sanders resigning at NU, but our DBs haven't been the same since. (Though, we've had a new DB coach both years since, so maybe that explains some issues.)
    sanders has done a terrific job since he's been at SC. i've been very impressed with him. but i wish he was given more control over the db's. he wants the db's to play up-front and physical against opposing wr's and the results have shown that his style is much better for USC's defense.....yet monte's insistance on playing the soft, conservative, dont give up the big play zone defense allows opposing teams to take control of the game in a tight contest. i cant stand watching our corners playing 10 yards off the LOS and seeing these easy completions being made at the end of the game.

Okie State deserves the beating it got. You gain nothing by playing a low rung FCS team in week one.

Anyone need a QB? Will gladly trade Landry Jones for an offensive lineman that can block.

Iowa's 1-1, lost 9-6 to Iowa State today in a battle of the kickers.
    Doh, I meant Indiana instead if Iowa.

Alright, struggled to put away may be a poor choice of phrase, but it definitely wasn't the dominant USC ass whooping that everyone comes to expect when the Trojans take on "lesser" teams, which Syracuse falls into that category. I think that will ultimately hurt USC in the poll, especially have the true whooping that LSU put on Washington. I just can't see LSU not getting the bump up to #2 after that game.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Okie State deserves the beating it got. You gain nothing by playing a low rung FCS team in week one.

Anyone need a QB? Will gladly trade Landry Jones for an offensive lineman that can block.
    Yeah, that week one game truly did nothing for Okie State. With the starters already pulled at halftime (if not before), they had basically nothing other than a glorified scrimmage. I haven't really followed the PAC or Arizona real close in recent years, so I don't know how good Arizona has been or is expected to be this year, and so I don't know for sure if, other than ranking, this was a true upset or if Arizona was expected to have a chance. But if Okie State had actually played a normal game last week, even against someone like Idaho, SJSU, Wyoming, etc, they would have played better against Arizona today.

Though I was impressed with Oregon State, not even getting to play last week after getting their game cancelled, and then having to take on Wisconsin right off the bat to start the season. While they did hardly anything on offense themselves, holding Wisconsin scoreless until the final minute and a half of the game, and holding them to just 7 points for the entire game, definitely impressive, though exactly how impressive depends on how much of a drop off Wisconsin may have with Wilson no longer at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Doh, I meant Indiana instead if Iowa.
    I was gonna say, I knew for certain I had seen Iowa State with the win over Iowa on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    Can you explain where the Big 12 offense reference comes from? You do know Kevin Sumlin came from Houston right?

It's not fun to lose but, I'm here to say, this mighty SEC thing isn't so mighty.
    #1 The Spread (as a primarily/only form of offense) simply isn't going to fly anymore in that conference b/c the vast majority of SEC defenses are too big, fast, strong for the bubbles, option reads, etc... to work. You end up with the QB running around like a chicken with its head cut off (see yesterday). Manziel only averaged 5.8 yards a completion. Dink and Dunk isn't going to cut it.

#2 Florida is "DOWN" this year and if you take away the first 3 possessions of the game A&M did nothing on offense.

#3 We will see how "mighty" you think it is when finishes 2-6 in conference.

A&M doesn't have the athleticism and depth it needs to compete with the "mighty" yet. Now I think they can in 3-4 years but its going to be a LONG process before they get up to where they can legitimately compete in the SEC.

Ok CLW, I'm not looking to argue with you sir. You are just crapping on A&M so I respond, plain and simple. You need to get your facts together. A&M didn't run this offense last year.

I've never said we were going to go 12-0. I've never said A&M was going to win the conference. I'm a realist, we have a new coach, everywhere, offense, defense, new QB, new players all over the field, new conference. No one said it was going to be easy.

I'm just saying blanket statements like our "big 12 offense" isn't going to work. We haven't had this offensive scheme for years, this is our first year to have this scheme, plain and simple. I think it might be wise to make a blanket statement when we've played more than 1 game. Are we supposed to be top notch perfectly oiled offensive machine first game of the year? Florida from the SEC didn't exactly run Bowling Green out of the stadium either (27-14).

I also wasn't impressed with the SEC as a whole. In general over the last few years have they been great, yes. But to keep saying they are better than everyone especially the Big 12, seems silly. They hardly play big 12 teams, when they do they sometimes win, sometimes lose, but they rarely blow them out. The SEC is a step up, money wise, but if the SEC is so loaded why does #8 Arkansas lose to UL Monroe (don't pull the depth card b/c the SEC teams are supposed to be stacked).

Until the end of the game I wasn't convinced Georgia was going to beat Missouri, they didn't exactly run them out of the stadium.

I agree that the SEC is one of the power conferences, mainly due to the big time money. Are they going to win by not playing the games? I don't think so (see UL Monroe).

#3 We will see how "mighty" you think it is when finishes 2-6 in conference. This is silly. Our own fans are predicting a 5-7, 6-6, or 8-4 (at best, very few votes for 8-4). We are realistic, we know we have a lot to learn and grow on. It's our first year, we do not expect to go undefeated, perhaps you should check your audience.

Thanks and good luck to your team!

Gig 'Em Aggies!

Gus '99

55-0, one point off.
    I'm not sure if you get to claim it when the game is called in the 3rd quarter

Seriously though, does that mean that bet is a push for everyone involved, or do they still pay out like it was a complete game?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    #1 The Spread (as a primarily/only form of offense) simply isn't going to fly anymore in that conference
    The spread doesn't work in the SEC? That's news.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    if the SEC is so loaded why does #8 Arkansas lose to UL Monroe
    Losing your starting QB will have an impact on any team. Plus, it's early in the season so Arkansas, among other teams, was probably actually overrated (John L. Smith: Not a very good head coach)

The SEC is better than the Big XII. And the Big Ten. And the Pac-12. Seven years of national championship dominance generally proves that.

Missouri put up a hell of a fight against Georgia, until Georgia started to roll late. A&M put up a good fight against Florida (who, btw, isn't really good at all this year, so far), but then rolled over in the second half, much like they did last year. One week does not accurately indicate how good those teams will be in the conference. We'll see how they fare against a steady dose of SEC teams; that's what really separates the conferences.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I'm not sure if you get to claim it when the game is called in the 3rd quarter

Seriously though, does that mean that bet is a push for everyone involved, or do they still pay out like it was a complete game?

The spread doesn't work in the SEC? That's news.

Losing your starting QB will have an impact on any team. Plus, it's early in the season so Arkansas, among other teams, was probably actually overrated (John L. Smith: Not a very good head coach)

The SEC is better than the Big XII. And the Big Ten. And the Pac-12. Seven years of national championship dominance generally proves that.

Missouri put up a hell of a fight against Georgia, until Georgia started to roll late. A&M put up a good fight against Florida (who, btw, isn't really good at all this year, so far), but then rolled over in the second half, much like they did last year. One week does not accurately indicate how good those teams will be in the conference. We'll see how they fare against a steady dose of SEC teams; that's what really separates the conferences.
    This

Jeff, that bet would be a Push.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Best part of the week? didn't lose! (Bye week)

My other school and second favorite college football team, whooped up on
    Last edited by souljahbill; 09-09-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Jeff, that bet would be a Push.
    Thought so. Thanks.

Terrible effort

Losing your starting QB will have an impact on any team.
    every sec team has like a 150 man roster. how could they not have had a suitable replacement?

side note: i hope their corner is ok after colliding with his teammate.

how could they not have had a suitable replacement?
    Well, Wilson wasn't doing that great to begin with (11/20, 2 TD, 1 INT), but Allen did really poorly (6/20, 1 TD, 1 INT). But the real problem was a lack of defense. They gave up 412 yards passing to Monroe -- on 42 of 67 passing with 3 TDs.

But as for 'suitable replacement' ... I'd like to introduce you to Joe Bauserman and his performance against Nebraska last year ... but there is not a suitable low-lite video.

Thanks to QB Kneels counting as "Team" rushing yards, rather than against an individual player, Denard Robinson outgained the entire Michigan Wolverines team this weekend, 426 to 422.

Well, Wilson wasn't doing that great to begin with (11/20, 2 TD, 1 INT), but Allen did really poorly (6/20, 1 TD, 1 INT). But the real problem was a lack of defense. They gave up 412 yards passing to Monroe -- on 42 of 67 passing with 3 TDs.
    but, but, but, this is the sec we're talking about.....you know the conference that plays big boy football