Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Right Wing "Propaganda" Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Alright my wonderful American friends... help me out here. I was watching Bill Maher today and I heard a term that I am not familiar with. This is the first year I remember hearing it and have NEVER heard it used in the political spectrum in Canada. What is a "SUPERPACK?" Yeah I could google it but I would rather hear a normal response. Cheers!
    A political action committee (PAC) is any organization in the United States that campaigns for or against political candidates, ballot initiatives or legislation. At the federal level, an organization becomes a PAC when it receives or spends more than $1,000 for the purpose of influencing a federal election, according to the Federal Election Campaign Act.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    A political action committee (PAC) is any organization in the United States that campaigns for or against political candidates, ballot initiatives or legislation. At the federal level, an organization becomes a PAC when it receives or spends more than $1,000 for the purpose of influencing a federal election, according to the Federal Election Campaign Act.
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Basically they are just big time lobbyist/special interest groups then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
    I was being sarcastic.
    so was I

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    I still hate O$U though.
    I've known that for years And I hate scUM. But I enjoy that you have to remind yourself of it whenever you agree with me

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Basically they are just big time lobbyist/special interest groups then.
    Yep. To make things worse, a "Super" PAC cannot make contributions toward a candidate, but may spend an unlimited amount of money in the course of a campaign. They are not allowed to directly coordinate with a candidate or campaign (but, boy, are there ways around this). If you're really interested, Stephen Colbert (on The Colbert Report) harpooned Super PACs regularly during the Republican primaries, and I'm sure you can find videos of him exposing the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of it.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-19-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Think of them as an interest group. Both sides have them but the press and entertainers like Maher are only interested in the ones on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
    the press
    Is this an acknowledgement that Fox News doesn't count as journalism?

Being serious, didn't "the liberal media" idea (or, rather, the idea that the liberals were the majority message in the press/media) die out when Fox News started kicking ass in the ratings?
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-19-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Is this an acknowledgement that Fox News doesn't count as journalism?

Being serious, didn't "the liberal media" idea (or, rather, the idea that the liberals were the majority message in the press/media) die out when Fox News started kicking ass in the ratings?
    I view Fox as middle of the road. They appear far right when compared to far left outlets like CNN/MSNBC/Network News/NyTimes etc. Fox news is every bit as good if not better than these when it comes to "journalism". The reason they kick ass in the ratings is most viewers still know how bad the others really are in comparison. What is an obvious continued left meme itself is the success of Fox News. The left hates success and pitches that to the disenchanted, bitter, envious, government educated masses.
    Take for example the occupy Wall Street losers. For the most they are/were upper middle class, spoiled, college educated white kids. Having degrees in journalism, art and social work they were forced to cry, "I can't get a job" waaaaaaaaahhh. Meanwhile kids oversees take the hard sciences and come here for the high paying/high tech medical jobs. I know, I see it at 6 regional med centers in Augusta. 40-45% of this country has gotten very lazy and our government instead of telling them that hard truth(because they fostered it) tells them that those that are not lazy are thieves. What a crock!

Take for example how ticked we all get over the frivolousness of lawsuits today. Most politicians are lawyers, most judges were lawyers, politicians make the laws......they want these lawsuits, it is how they get paid. CLW can fact check me here but I think the last statistic I saw was over 65% of attorneys are Democrats. Then they just stack the jury with the bitter and envious that have been trained to hate the 1% and viola you can see where and WHY we are where we are.

I am with you on Gary Johnson as I am a Libertarian at heart but I will not be voting that way this time. I have come to the conclusion that only the "freedom" side of Libertarianism is embraced in this country, we do not want the responsibility side.
    Last edited by SCClassof93; 08-20-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Fox News and journalism in the same sentence is blasphemy unless that sentence contains "rapes", "invalidates", or other such words. Calling Fox News anything but right wing crazies is just not acknowledging how little they allow facts to get in the way of how things really are.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Fox News and journalism in the same sentence is blasphemy unless that sentence contains "rapes", "invalidates", or other such words. Calling Fox News anything but right wing crazies is just not acknowledging how little they allow facts to get in the way of how things really are.
    Citation? Link? Example?

Seriously?

Seriously?
    Why pick on just Fox News? Unless you agree/think the others like cnn/msnbc are unbiased

Why pick on just Fox News? Unless you agree/think the others like cnn/msnbc are unbiased
    They're all biased, but Fox News is the extreme. There have been times in the past with stories, they want they present them just leaves me ing myself. They may as well just change their name to the Republican News Channel, because that's what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    They're all biased, but Fox News is the extreme. There have been times in the past with stories, they want they present them just leaves me ing myself. They may as well just change their name to the Republican News Channel, because that's what they are.
    Don't the Republicans get one? I mean the others are all Democrats or worse.

That's not the issue I have. The issue I have is they try and act like some great neutral, unbiased news station reporting "just the facts" on whatever they're talking about. Yeah, I don't think so. They'll report what they want to consider and think of as facts, regardless of actual facts, as they relate to the Republican party. Just like MSNBC is the top Democrat news station. CNN does lean more Democratic than Republican in their shows, views and coverage, but they do still keep some unbiased coverage of events.

For true unbiased news, unfortunately, I have to go across the pond to coverage of US events via UK newspapers or TV.

exactly. why should every news media outlet have to be from a liberal perspective and proclaiming how great our current president is?

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    exactly. why should every news media outlet have to be from a liberal perspective and proclaiming how great our current president is?
    I don't watch anything that is one extreme or the other. I watch things (like Real Time with Bill Maher and The Daily Show) that are satirical in nature but also talk about the factual information about both sides of it.

Sure, Bill Maher gave Obama money to support his campaign and sure he's a liberal, but he also doesn't like things that Obama has done and has spoken regularly about them. He just talks about all the crazy right wing nuts because they make it so god damn easy to make fun of them and, at the heart of it all, he's a comedian first.

That's not the issue I have. The issue I have is they try and act like some great neutral, unbiased news station reporting "just the facts" on whatever they're talking about. Yeah, I don't think so. They'll report what they want to consider and think of as facts, regardless of actual facts, as they relate to the Republican party. Just like MSNBC is the top Democrat news station. CNN does lean more Democratic than Republican in their shows, views and coverage, but they do still keep some unbiased coverage of events.

For true unbiased news, unfortunately, I have to go across the pond to coverage of US events via UK newspapers or TV.
    The facts are just that, facts. None of these companies can change the "facts". I think what we all want is "truth", which is the facts interpreted correctly. All of them want to interpret the facts and this is not good. I prefer they just give facts and let me interpret them.

I don't watch anything that is one extreme or the other. I watch things (like Real Time with Bill Maher and The Daily Show) that are satirical in nature but also talk about the factual information about both sides of it.

Sure, Bill Maher gave Obama money to support his campaign and sure he's a liberal, but he also doesn't like things that Obama has done and has spoken regularly about them. He just talks about all the crazy right wing nuts because they make it so god damn easy to make fun of them and, at the heart of it all, he's a comedian first.
    I don't think you are trying to say a jerk like Maher is a journalist to be taken seriously, are you?

its just a different perspective though. remember a couple of years ago, when some troops were in the media for buring the qurans (however the fuck its spelled)? all i heard from the liberal stations was how bad our troops were for doing this, that they should be court martialled for their actions, and how much praise they gave obama for his reaching out to the middle eastern countries and apologizing on behalf of our soldiers.

fox news, on the other hand, repeatedly focused on why the troops were burning the qurans, when no other station would. it wasnt some racist hate group within our military that just felt like burning religous books one day. i picked this example because it was one of the bigger examples in which you could clearly see the divide between the liberal and conservative news stations. the liberal stations solely focused on how bad the idea was for our soldiers burning their qurans were. fox news reported on how that the qurans were filled with anti-American slurs, to the point that the books were unreadable, and how the soldiers had permission from their general to burn the books.

I don't think you are trying to say a jerk like Maher is a journalist to be taken seriously, are you?
    not to mention that maher and stewart are both acknowledged democrats.

i occasionally watch their shows too mors, and even though its supposed to be satirical in nature, there are far more shots taken at republicans than what there are democrats. they may be comedians, but every shot they take at a politician is a calculated move.